• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akira213

Smash Cadet
@Noa. see your PMs

@Pyr and @moofpi Just use C-stick for all of your aerials, it didn't take me long to get used to Ryu's inputs and not messing up, though I did Tatsu off stage a few times on the 3DS version (for obvious reasons)

Now, after having played Ryu in tournament and in a bunch of friendlies, these are my opinions on his matchups (disclaimer: I won't defend all of these matchup opinions because it's week 2 of Ryu and that would take too long, just wanted to give an overview based on my thoughts and experience so far):

Important matchups that I think Ryu wins:
:4luigi: :4mario: :4ness: :4diddy:

These characters are all midweights who rely on high damage per hit and/or combo strings. Against lighter characters, they bank on outtrading then using Rage to get easy KOs (d-throw to Cyclone, up-smash, b-throw, and banana -> something, respectively). Against heavier characters, like Ganon or Ike, they rely on strong juggle/combo games instead. Ryu isn't a lightweight, so outtrading him doesn't work, especially since he outfootsies these characters and has more range on some key attacks (like f-air, b-air, and basically all of his grounded moves against theirs). Unlike heavies, though, Ryu isn't that susceptible to combos. His ability to reverse his direction in the air is bad, yes, but FADC, Tatsu, and his great n-air all give him options that other heavies don't have (I mean, just look at the frame data on his n-air. 4 frames of startup, 6 frames of landing lag; compare that to Sheik's f-air, which, while more applicable in neutral due to better range, has 10 frames just of landing lag).

Important matchups that I think Ryu loses:
:rosalina::4zss: :4pikachu: :4sheik:

Now you may look at this list and go, "man, that's all of the top tiers," and to be sure you're right, it is about half of them. Ryu's main weakness is his inability to catch evasive characters, and many of the top tiers are rather evasive. Ryu is a defensive powerhouse, but offensively he's not that great, what with bad hitlag on his attacks on shield, lack of disjoints on key moves, and low ground mobility (awful walk speed/average run speed). He has a hard time getting anything going on these characters because they don't have to fight him.

None of these MUs are terrible for him, though--outside of these characters playing as lame as possible and running away, Ryu actually does pretty well. Luma dies very easily to most of Ryu's attacks. If ZSS misses a tether grab she dies for it. Pikachu's aerials get shut down by true Shoryuken. Sheik gets owned in footsies. etc. They're probably all 45:55 matchups for Ryu, 40:60 at worst. So while he has bad matchups, they're not inherently non-competitive.

Three good characters escaped mention above:
:4fox: :4falcon: :4sonic:

I believe that Ryu probably goes even against both Fox and Falcon; they have better neutrals but due to being fastfallers get punished extremely hard for losing the neutral game. Ryu by comparison can get out of their frame traps sometimes with his options in disadvantage, and generally has a better recovery than either. Ultimately, Ryu may even win both MUs, but for now I think he's just even with them.

Against Sonic, the only way I see Sonic winning is if he gets an early lead (difficult with Ryu's high damage output) and then camps for the rest of the match. If Sonic spindashes into light jab he's eating a ton of percent and possibly dying. His initial dash is kind of bad and he's forced to commit to shield after it, usually, leaving him open to Ryu's great dashgrab. Most Sonics don't play lame enough for me to really understand this MU beyond a theoretical level, though, so I've left it out of my conclusions.

Now, a lot has been said about Ryu vs. disjoints, so here are my opinions on his sword-user matchups, since swords are the biggest disjoints in the game (though characters like Pikachu and ZSS do have some disjoints).

sword matchups that I think Ryu wins:
:4link: :4tlink: :4lucina: :4feroy: :4shulk: :4ganondorf: :4pit: :4darkpit:

sword matchups that I think Ryu loses:
:4marth: :4myfriends:

The characters in the win category just don't have enough safety against Ryu to avoid getting hit hard and put into disadvantaged states that are less than stellar. They mostly have good reward on Ryu, but if Ryu plays patiently, they end up losing, just because of their relative lack of safety on most moves (Link's tether, Lucina's shieldlag, Shulk and Ganon's frame data/close range issues, etc.).

Marth and Ike, though, can play patiently against Ryu and come out ahead in the neutral, while boasting similar reward to the characters in the list of Ryu's advantages. Marth is very safe after this patch, and Ike has a myriad of ranged options that are also relatively fast, like his jab2. These aren't heavy losses by any means, though, because these two swordsmen have really bad disadvantaged states that Ryu can still abuse (Shulk would be in the latter category if he had slightly better frame data, as an aside, since he can play reactionary as well).

So Ryu's problems with disjoints appear to be overstated, when you look at his matchup spread.

Overall, Ryu is a competitive pick since he does well against roughly half of the great characters and more than 3/4 of the average characters. Is he Top Tier? No, not likely. He does lose a few matchups against popular characters. But looking at him in concrete matchup terms instead of strengths and weaknesses does show him to be rather good.

I don't think I agree with Ryu losing to Marth. Marth is the one who is required to approach in that matchup and Ryu's hard jab is very good at stopping air approaches.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh I wasn't saying it was in Ganon's favor. I highly doubt that was anything close to optimal Ryu.

But overall, I found it pretty easy to stay in Ganon's optimal range (mid-range).
Did the Ryu use his dsmash (crouching heavy kick) in that range? It's his longest poke and much safer than fsmash
which moves him forward (joudan sokugoteri).

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
I think a good way to describe Ryu is a character who wins against players who capitalize on their opponents defensive game, but cant to Ryu since his defensive game is incredibly good, but loses against players who capitalize on his poor offensive game.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I don't think I agree with Ryu losing to Marth. Marth is the one who is required to approach in that matchup and Ryu's hard jab is very good at stopping air approaches.
Properly spaced sword vs. awkward anti-air fist, who wins? It really doesn't speak for the whole MU.

@SolidSense I know he's fodder, but I think D3 loses out against Ryu as well. Ryu doesn't shut down D3 so much as outplay him in the neutral game. It's not drastic advantage---D3 has range on him---but a big, fastfalling body versus those normals and frame traps? Yeah no, Ryu gets in, we're boned. And worst part is that our tools to keep him out are marginalized, courtesy of his projectiles, FA, and True moves that offer invincibility and the like.

Again, D3's game becomes reductive in yet another MU.

Smooth Criminal

Luigi player

Smash Master
Imo people were overrating Diddy at first (prepatches), but now they're underrating him...

He still has the tools to win any MU and I can't see him outside of top tier.

Of course I still think the 2nd nerfs were totally unnecessary and suck for Diddy players. He was already nerfed enough to not be the big problem Smash 4 had. He was still a great character, probably around ~5th best, but that's not a crime. :p

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Properly spaced sword vs. awkward anti-air fist, who wins? It really doesn't speak for the whole MU.

@SolidSense I know he's fodder, but I think D3 loses out against Ryu as well. Ryu doesn't shut down D3 so much as outplay him in the neutral game. It's not drastic advantage---D3 has range on him---but a big, fastfalling body versus those normals and frame traps? Yeah no, Ryu gets in, we're boned. And worst part is that our tools to keep him out are marginalized, courtesy of his projectiles, FA, and True moves that offer invincibility and the like.

Again, D3's game becomes reductive in yet another MU.

Smooth Criminal
i just assumed he loses to everyone
probably even Swordfighter

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Imo people were overrating Diddy at first (prepatches), but now they're underrating him...

He still has the tools to win any MU and I can't see him outside of top tier.

Of course I still think the 2nd nerfs were totally unnecessary and suck for Diddy players. He was already nerfed enough to not be the big problem Smash 4 had. He was still a great character, probably around ~5th best, but that's not a crime. :p
Pretty sure most were underrating him prepatch. Most people didn't understand most of the options he had simply because it was easy for Diddy Kong to mindlessly spam grab and build tons of damage and kill early without much learning required.

Nerfs to his damage and combos setups have just rounded him out so now the fraud diddys and people who only experienced fraud diddy think he is worthless now.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I wonder Sinister Slush would say...
Ganon and Link are ez to abuse, Ganon is ganon while Yoshi can run circles around slow biggish characters that revolves around camping ala ROB Link etc.
Villager kinda questionable though, customs on prolly never get in.

Captain Falcon he's prolly just bad if he's losing to yoshi.
I almost feel obligated to bow down to people that realize Yoshi's neutral is absolute garbage and the silver lining for him is shorthop airdodge, which isn't 100% guaranteed a brand spanking new neutral game. So good on you A2

It's also incredibly silly to say Yoshi is similar to sheik. He doesn't have a god like projectile (needles) nor does he have the versatility of bouncing fish or a single move that can shutdown more than half the cast (fair)

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He went mostly charizard at TGC 3 Saturday and beat pretty much everyone but Samboner's sheik which he lost too twice in bracket.
He might be pulling out charizard more over MSF.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
And then he (probably) fights ESAM R1 in bracket.

Speaking of which, :4pikachu: vs. :4miisword: seems like it'd be a really cool MU that probably isn't too bad for Mii Sword.
pikachu can get surprisingly walled by Swordfighter those disjoints can intercept QA

Luigi player

Smash Master
Pretty sure most were underrating him prepatch. Most people didn't understand most of the options he had simply because it was easy for Diddy Kong to mindlessly spam grab and build tons of damage and kill early without much learning required.

Nerfs to his damage and combos setups have just rounded him out so now the fraud diddys and people who only experienced fraud diddy think he is worthless now.
The 2nd part might be true, but I don't think the first one is. Almost everyone thought Diddy was broken and needs to be banned and is destroying the game. Diddy now has to use different options that might've been overshadowed by his better ones he had before (so he doesn't get better by having these other worse options since the better ones were always better).

I'm maining Diddy since Brawl and was a top player in europe with him, and now (Smash4) I've always lost games against a player that was almost about my skilllevel here with his Mario (prepatch). I also never thought Diddy was such a big problem while playing against him. People were just not good enough / or knew how to fight him correctly. At every tournament that was streamed I've seen players try to airdodge or not DI his throws correctly while they should've doublejumped away to avoid getting KOed for free.

He was really good, a little broken (like some other characters too) and top 2 in the game for sure. And totally broken if you didn't know how to fight him and react to his things the right way, but he was certainly beatable and had difficult matchups.

Diddy can bring about the same results he did before, but a little worse. I don't think it hurts him that much, but definitely a bit. Good players can still somewhat shine with him, while "fraud Diddys" will probably switch to other characters since you have to actually be good and work so much harder to do well with him.

There were enough tournaments prepatch that didn't have Diddy dominate. Just look at the Apex results. Zero is Zero. The only other Diddy in top 8 was M2K. I think that shows pretty well that Diddy was well beatable. The biggest problem were the people whining about him and not adapting or doing what they actually should've.
Like I said Diddy was top 2 imo at first (Sheik was arguably #1 for some top players), with his knockback nerfs (and a few other small things) about ~5th, and now I'm seeing him at ~8th.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
The 2nd part might be true, but I don't think the first one is. Almost everyone thought Diddy was broken and needs to be banned and is destroying the game. Diddy now has to use different options that might've been overshadowed by his better ones he had before.

I'm maining Diddy since Brawl and was a top player in europe with him, and now (Smash4) I've always lost games against a player that was almost about my skilllevel here with his Mario (prepatch). I also never thought Diddy was such a big problem while playing against him. People were just not good enough / or knew how to fight him correctly. At every tournament that was streamed I've seen players try to airdodge or not DI his throws correctly while they should've doublejumped away to avoid getting KOed for free.

He was really good, a little broken (like some other characters too) and top 2 in the game for sure. And totally broken if you didn't know how to fight him and react to his things the right way, but he was certainly beatable and had difficult matchups.

Diddy can bring about the same results he did before, but a little worse. I don't think it hurts him that much, but definitely a bit. Good players can still somewhat shine with him, while "fraud Diddys" will probably switch to other characters since you have to actually be good and work so much harder to do well with him.

There were enough tournaments prepatch that didn't have Diddy dominate. Just look at the Apex results. Zero is Zero. The only other Diddy in top 8 was M2K. I think that shows pretty well that Diddy was well beatable. The biggest problem were the people whining about him and not adapting or doing what they actually should've.
Like I said Diddy was top 2 imo at first (Sheik was arguably #1 for some top players), with his knockback nerfs (and a few other small things) about ~5th, and now I'm seeing him at ~8th.
I was saying ban Diddy and I don't remember anyone else supporting that idea. In fact more people argued the opposite and fwiw he was ban worthy. One tournament were it wasn't saturated with Diddy in top 8. Apex unless I'm mistaken most diddy's wasn't doing uthrow to uair. Before this patch I believe diddy was still top 3. I'll have to see more stuff from diddy in 1.08 but there wasn't this huge drop off in Diddy.

MU's have changed and it remains to be seen how far Diddy has fallen. His tools were absurd and anyone who argued against a diddy ban was misinformed or profiting off the character. There's no doubt imo that the early version of diddy was better than mk.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
I agree that uthrow to uair was really stupid and broken and that it's really good it got patched. Although I'm still not sure if it even was truly inescapable (at specific % it can work of course, but it might be more specific than one would think).

[ looking at the newest patch ] Overall Diddy didn't lose that much actually. His "hits" became a little less rewarding because of less combos and he'll KO a bit later, but overall he can still do work. His fsmash can still net "early" kills and now he can use other setups as well with dtilt -> usmash. It's annoying to have less autocancel frames with his uair if you're used to the old one, but the move is still great.

Diddy definitely has a harder time now, but I don't think it changes things that much actually. I'm not sure how to say it and it kinda doesn't make much sense, but that's how it feels like to me.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I agree that uthrow to uair was really stupid and broken and that it's really good it got patched. Although I'm still not sure if it even was truly inescapable (at specific % it can work of course, but it might be more specific than one would think).

[ looking at the newest patch ] Overall Diddy didn't lose that much actually. His "hits" became a little less rewarding because of less combos and he'll KO a bit later, but overall he can still do work. His fsmash can still net "early" kills and now he can use other setups as well with dtilt -> usmash. It's annoying to have less autocancel frames with his uair if you're used to the old one, but the move is still great.

Diddy definitely has a harder time now, but I don't think it changes things that much actually. I'm not sure how to say it and it kinda doesn't make much sense, but that's how it feels like to me.
You're forgetting that in 1.08 the hit box to uair was nerfed and the move comes out 1 frame slower. In 1.07 he didn't have those changes it just killed slightly later. Before that the move was absolutely ridiculous.

People say the Diddy nerfs in 1.08 weren't warranted I say screw that. This character been a broken pile of crap since the wiiu version launched. And the way his metagame was developing would've destroyed the game. If he was left unchecked.

Going forward I'd like to see less nerfs and them buff characters more. Actually, I'd like if the players were a bit more involved in the process of patching / patch notes. I really dislike the feeling of Sakurai handing out nerfs/buffs just because.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I don't think Sakurai wants players involved in patching the game at all. 1000s of people telling him different things to 'fix' on different characters? It would be chaos.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
If Sheik, Rosalina and Sonic are toned down to, say, Captain Falcon's level of good, then Nintendo can move forward with these buffs for characters on the lower end of the spectrum like they've been doing. Next patch, maybe a little more love to Zelda, Doc, Mewtwo and Jiggs. Then the bottom keeps shrinking until the whole cast feels like the middle.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
So Fox is the only character not to have been patched yet.

Fox confirmed perfect?

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Pits got a ledge getup attack fix. (I just severely confused myself while looking for this)

And the Order Tackle glitch applies more to Olimar.

Last edited:

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
I don't know, I'm just not too convinced the Ryu Loses the match-up against Ike. I need to see Ryu's competitive side develop a bit more before I can believe this because I feel like Ryu has the advantage(though slight) on this.

I agree with mostly everything else you've said though, with a few maybes here and there. Time will tell I guess.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I don't think Sakurai wants players involved in patching the game at all. 1000s of people telling him different things to 'fix' on different characters? It would be chaos.
You obviously can't listen to everyone. However, when I look at SF patches and how they open things up to the community I wonder why smash isn't like that. If you look at the feed back of the player base you can get a better sense of how to patch things.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I've been wondering... how good is Bowser? I remembered people getting hyped up over him when the game came out due to his "awesome" changes. Is he still just a character for casuals to use or does he have some merits?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
1.0.4 nerfed Gordo hitbox size/reflect threshold, made dthrow worse for combos, and took 1% off fair.

Sad times.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Pre-pre-patch Diddy (1.0.4? When he was broken) was almost certainly the best character in the game in a tier of his own barring some incredible tech discovered for an already top tier character. Using a single tournament early in the lifespan of the game where people weren't using Diddy's best options doesn't mean much, @ Luigi player Luigi player . Diddy wasn't explored properly when he was broken, and the (initial) Diddy nerfs are the best thing to ever happen to this game. If this game was never patched Diddy's would have been getting better and more common.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I've been wondering... how good is Bowser? I remembered people getting hyped up over him when the game came out due to his "awesome" changes. Is he still just a character for casuals to use or does he have some merits?
I think he's an alright character, Better than DDD, dunno about Charizard, and worse than DK. Problem is, Bowser has 0 results to speak of so it's hard to vouch for his new buffs. Customs Bowser is quite nice though, especially dash slash and fire ball. Funny, fireball can be reflected, but does no damage or knockback to Bowser. It just kind of goes through him. I only tried this with Fox though so idk if other reflector properties change this.

So not the bottom of the bunch for me, but not exactly great since again, no one has..."prooved the justice of his cultures"

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
1.0.4 nerfed Gordo hitbox size/reflect threshold, made dthrow worse for combos, and took 1% off fair.

Sad times.
WTF? Why? Was he given anything in return? It's like nerfing (hypothetically) Jigglypuff's weight and doing nothing else. Not even attempts to make a character function better like Samus who lost the ability to ledge cancel Missiles, but Up Smash kills better.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
WTF? Why? Was he given anything in return? It's like nerfing (hypothetically) Jigglypuff's weight and doing nothing else. Not even attempts to make a character function better like Samus who lost the ability to ledge cancel Missiles, but Up Smash kills better.
imma assume 1.0.4 was dictated by FG where DDD trhives

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
You obviously can't listen to everyone. However, when I look at SF patches and how they open things up to the community I wonder why smash isn't like that. If you look at the feed back of the player base you can get a better sense of how to patch things.
The problem is they also have to keep FFA's in mind, which they seem to consider somewhat when balancing characters. Smash isn't just a 1v1 game, and for most people, it is never a 1v1 game.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Does d-tilt > usmash still combo? I haven't been able to get it to work post patch because of the damage/hitstun nerfs of d-tilt.
F-smash isn't really a reliable kill tool, especially when it and up-smash are the only ones Diddy has right now (since I don't think up-throw up-air combos at kill % anymore? People can just sit in shield until f-throw/b-throw at the ledge kills them).

The character will always be decent (high tier, around fox level) because fair and bananas are so good, and honestly they're carrying the character really hard now that uair's pretty meh.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The problem is they also have to keep FFA's in mind, which they seem to consider somewhat when balancing characters. Smash isn't just a 1v1 game, and for most people, it is never a 1v1 game.
Other multiplayer games or hell, other games in general still receive patch notes. If we do or if we don't, people will complain, but I'd rather learn about what and why things were patched even if they're the usual BS like, "attending to the consumer's needs", as a description to why Diddy's Uair was nerfed or, "removing glitches", for the ledge cancels which probably will get removed in the future for rapid jabs. Oh, your favorite character got nerfed, what are you going to do? Complain? 'Cause that's all you can do. Seriously, this is why I wanted Falco, Zelda, Samus, and other "low tier" characters to be nerfed severely, buff top tiers like Diddy, Sheik, and Rosalina heavily, and an issue from the developers basically giving a giant middle finger to the community, but we know Nintendo. Hell, we know companies and no company wants to commit suicide like that... except Konami... It's their game, they can do whatever the hell they want, but is that much of a problem to release patch notes? Apparently for Nintendo, it's like giving out their bank accounts to the public. Meanwhile, Capcom releases patch notes or edition notes for each Street Fighter IV and DICE releases patch notes for Battlefield 3, 4, and more and people still complain...

Character's been nerfed, boo-freaking-hoo, cry me a freaking river. Go play a different character then, go prove this character is still good then, or leave and do something else. Complain, complain, and complain. Y'know, back then, people complained and actually did something. That something, however, usually involved violence and senseless killings, but whatever. At least they complained over something that mattered or had a huge impact on the world. It's game; find something else to do or just move on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom