• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
So, everyone has an answer for this strategy that took players by surprise before they adapted.

Motion to move on? Like how hard Luigi gets counter picked even though he's so good against the top?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Dense Charge Shot the moment Villager commits to balloons on a second ledge-grab.
Slip Bombs also have an impressive meteor effect which can hurt Villager.

Also just something I thought of, but couldn't Ganon wizkick/dropkick cancel into DAir be to bop Villager?

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Falco's Exploding Blaster might come in handy here. Does the hitbox on it reach the ledge? Either way he also has reflector, which would definitely help I think.
I'm not sure and I don't know how to reliably test it since I have a 3DS and there's no way for me to force the CPU to hang on the ledge and not get up. I think part of the edges of it does hit, but the issue is this: it's not a Burst or Gravity Grenade. It won't kill and I don't think ZSS Electromagnetic Net kills either. Falco and ZSS might end up chipping damage with this which for Falco and ZSS, it might be better for them to use Burst Blaster and Blaster Shot instead, especially ZSS since Electromagnetic Net doesn't have that much range compared to Falco's Explosive Blaster - he can stand about a third of FD and away from Villager - and Sheik's Burst Grenade and customs.

Accele-Reflector could do something with Lloid Rockets since it speeds up projectiles, but the drawback is little knockback and damage with the move itself.

And on an unrelated note: Is Falco shorter in this game? He seems so or it's because in Brawl he was a bit skinnier while he seems more stockier or muscular in this game. And his boots seem thicker in this game... See this is what happens when you're bored and up late. :p

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
D3 is likely to trade or worse with that particular Villager build with his conventional options (ftilt, dtilt, dash attack). If the trip sapling is in the way, well, that means D3 is going to have to venture off-stage and try to beat out Villager's aerials with his own. Dropping Gordos are a big maybe, assuming they're timed in such a way that it bonks Villager before or during a non-invulnerable ledgegrab. On the customs side, Dedede Storm might be able reach far enough and create a lingering hitbox that pelts Villager either before or after the regrab; off-stage, assuming the player can get around it, Rising Dedede may be able to force Villager off the edge thanks to the hitbox being above D3 (though combined with Taste Test or Inhale, could lead to a stage spike)...

Not the best options, but personally I'd rather take a trade than sit there and let somebody play vulture over the edge.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
villager was never a risky match up for samus. its actually quite dynamic. you don't need to rain big bimbs (mostly becasue it wont explode on time unless u were rediculously high in th air) big bomb hits under and through ledges so placing one there will make planking super risky and force the villager to do somthing before that time is up and samus has many options from that situation after ward. either place another bomb near the ledge, go for a conditioned/read charge shot if they decide to come up, pressure with homing missles to explode baloons before hand. these are many of the things i tested i lab with samus a lot.
Oh and dence charge shot will give him some hell.
I suppose it was more a theory: Large frame to get pelted by rocks and Loids, her primary kill move can be pocketed, she isn't SUPER mobile (not too bad though). It just sounded like a bad time to me, especially with this strategy. I feel like Villager would just Pocket Dense Charge Shot. And I was thinking of raining standard bombs since they actually blow up before a year passes but your idea sounds cool too. Can he Pocket Morph Bombs?

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I'm not sure and I don't know how to reliably test it since I have a 3DS and there's no way for me to force the CPU to hang on the ledge and not get up. I think part of the edges of it does hit, but the issue is this: it's not a Burst or Gravity Grenade. It won't kill and I don't think ZSS Electromagnetic Net kills either. Falco and ZSS might end up chipping damage with this which for Falco and ZSS, it might be better for them to use Burst Blaster and Blaster Shot instead, especially ZSS since Electromagnetic Net doesn't have that much range compared to Falco's Explosive Blaster - he can stand about a third of FD and away from Villager - and Sheik's Burst Grenade and customs.

Accele-Reflector could do something with Lloid Rockets since it speeds up projectiles, but the drawback is little knockback and damage with the move itself.

And on an unrelated note: Is Falco shorter in this game? He seems so or it's because in Brawl he was a bit skinnier while he seems more stockier or muscular in this game. And his boots seem thicker in this game... See this is what happens when you're bored and up late. :p
Late? *looks at time* 1:52.... plebs im up till 5 AM.

I should not be proud of this.
@ Plain Yogurt Plain Yogurt yes he can but you can plant another one. plus that means he cant pocket your charge shot witch is a very good thing.
And you only dense charge shot to create a reation from him you can push pockets quite easy. but my persanal prefferece is still normal charge shot in the mu. also ya can punish fairs and bair really hard with charge shot as well. since it beats those. not to be little villagers strategy though. samus really does not want to eat her own charge shot at 1.5 damage. samus has options but she is definitly no answer to this strategy. like a said i would rather just use zelda.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Kirby talk
Giant hammer does 25+ damage and having armor as well while charging so Kirby can sit and wait for the regrab. Given it can walk through Lloyd just fine and it can hit for 40. Not that it isn't vulnerable to mixing up timing...since you commit to the swing and are vulnerable doing it, but it feels like there is enough options in the game that this will dissolve.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Speaking of Kirby, what do we think about him?

ZeRo seems to believe that he's High Tier with customs. It got me thinking that I never really think about Kirby much (there are no high-level Kirbys near me, or anywhere within my usual travel distance, not that I travel much in the first place), but that he's probably an annoying matchup for many characters.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

ZeRo seems to believe that he's High Tier with customs. It got me thinking that I never really think about Kirby much (there are no high-level Kirbys near me, or anywhere within my usual travel distance, not that I travel much in the first place), but that he's probably an annoying matchup for many characters.
hes pretty similar to luigi just with no grab shinanigans and possibly stronger combo game. iv seen some crazy things off that puff ball.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think ultimately, the meta of this game (with customs) is kill people at 60%.
Diddy is lucky enough to have this by default.
How does Diddy consistently kill at 60%? Only way I could think of killing someone at that percent is uairing someone right near the ceiling on a stage like Delphino or Halberd.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Someone asked me for my latest tier impressions, so I thought I'd post it here. Not many changes (several tiny shifts), though I am putting Diddy above Sheik. (I still think they are roughly equal--I'm just choosing to defer to the majority opinion rather than grandstand.)

Also finally letting customs Zelda move up a tier, though remaining the worst character in the game. Phantom Strike punishing air dodges is what pushed me over the edge.

1v1, no customs, ordered within each level:
:4diddy::4sheik::rosalina::4zss::4sonic:
:4pikachu::4ness::4yoshi::4luigi::4fox::4falcon:
:4olimar::4mario::4peach::4pit::4darkpit::4wario::4villager::4greninja:
:4dk::4robinm::4metaknight::4jigglypuff::4pacman::4rob::4lucario::4megaman::4shulk::4tlink::4charizard:
:4myfriends::4bowserjr::4ganondorf::4link::4bowser::4marth::4kirby::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4gaw:
:4palutena::4wiifit::4drmario::4falco::4samus::4dedede::4lucina:
:4zelda:

1v1, customs, ordered within each level--each level relative to the above:
:4diddy::4sheik::4sonic::rosalina::4zss:
:4pikachu::4fox::4ness::4luigi::4yoshi::4palutena::4miibrawl::4dk::4falcon::4mario::4villager:
:4olimar::4peach::4pit::4darkpit::4robinm::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4greninja::4wario::4shulk::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4charizard::4megaman::4lucario::4rob:
:4metaknight::4bowser::4jigglypuff::4tlink::4pacman::4wiifit::4kirby::4link::4marth::4samus::4gaw::4littlemac::4miigun:
:4falco::4drmario::4lucina:
:4miisword::4dedede::4zelda:
Moves up 4 tiers relative to a no-customs list: :4palutena:
Moves up 2 tiers relative to a no-customs list: :4dk::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4wiifit::4samus:
Moves up 1 tier relative to a no-customs list: :4villager::4mario::4robinm::4lucario::4shulk::4charizard::4megaman::4rob::4bowser::4gaw::4link::4kirby::4marth::4littlemac::4falco::4lucina::4zelda:

Edit: Minor changes. (MK up, Mac and Megaman slightly up, Bowser and Lucario slightly down.)

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
How does Diddy consistently kill at 60%? Only way I could think of killing someone at that percent is uairing someone right near the ceiling on a stage like Delphino or Halberd.
this happens on battle field, smash ville and town and diddy. diddy has alot of good stages for him bro.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
this happens on battle field, smash ville and town and diddy. diddy has alot of good stages for him bro.
Could you explain the specific kill confirm that let's him consistently kill on these stages, because I don't know what it is

Only thing I can think of is uthrow-uair from 60-80% on a high platform or something. Also I'm assuming uthrow-uair isn't DIable in this percent range, because I haven't learned the DI for it, if it can be DI'd.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Could you explain the specific kill confirm that let's him consistently kill on these stages, because I don't know what it is

Only thing I can think of is uthrow-uair from 60-80% on a high platform or something. Also I'm assuming uthrow-uair isn't DIable in this percent range, because I haven't learned the DI for it, if it can be DI'd.
u throw aint really di able in any percent range its what makes it a reatarded throw but any who you kinda on the ball with the high plat form things man.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

I think Kirby is still probably easily camped even with customs, but Jumping Inhale and Upper Cutter solve some of his big problems pretty handily. Jumping Inhale being a threat in neutral, and Upper Cutter being a good recovery move and KO confirm option.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
u throw aint really di able in any percent range its what makes it a reatarded throw but any who you kinda on the ball with the high plat form things man.
Uthrow-uair is only guaranteed up until around 80% depending on the character. If it's not DIable at lower percents than I don't know why pros still bother with dthrow at all.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I'm sincerely considering Mii Sword may be a Diddy Kong counter, specifically Gale Strike. Destroys bananas, prevents Diddy's frontal approach. If he gets too close for Gale Strike to get out safely, dtilt or spotdodge. Or Falcon Kick if you have it, possibly.

This is probably a terrible idea and I've only beaten one Diddy out of one with Mii Sword. Dude was salty tho.
One attack that is non-spammable, punishable, and cannot kill/combo/etc cannot counter a character all on its own. This is hyperbolic. Matchups are complex and not, especially in Smash 4's case, decided by one trick. I could go on, but players are not mindless and can adjust to certain attacks that are strong against their character. When it starts to make a large difference (ie "counter" as is freely tossed around too often by many people), is when the negatives outweigh the cons even after adaptation and counterplay has evolved.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Uthrow-uair is only guaranteed up until around 80% depending on the character. If it's not DIable at lower percents than I don't know why pros still bother with dthrow at all.
well it brings the opponent to high at low percents and they can only get one u air instead of 2 garenteed.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
At low percents, Dthrow leads into multiple aerials and/or better positioning. Pretty sure Upthrow only leads into a single uair and thats it.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
well it brings the opponent to high at low percents and they can only get one u air instead of 2 garenteed.
Dthrow uair is DIable from as low as 30% (possibly lower, but I haven't seen it be DId any loweer than 30). Diddy can still get a fair out of it though.

Timbers

check me out
uthrow-uair kills a handful of characters before 80% so that sounds fine. Fox is a bad example due to lightweight fastfaller, but it kills Fox at ~60% depending on rage. On FD. Watching Larry vs Tyrant's Diddy dittos, they were constantly uthrow-uair killing each other around 70-80%.

and yeah, dthrow allows for more combo potential.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Sheik can also deal with this with Needles; spaced correctly from a full hop (or BF-esque platform) you can pelt people on the ledge with basically no risk. Need to test it more, but it may even work with Needles -> BF, which would be absolutely hilarious...

Also, What are ZSS' options for dealing with this strategy besides the Flip Kick spike?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I think several characters can deal with this if they switch to their version of up b that gains more height. Now just run off and make it a fight for the ledge vs Villager.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Someone asked me for my latest tier impressions, so I thought I'd post it here. Not many changes (several tiny shifts), though I am putting Diddy above Sheik. (I still think they are roughly equal--I'm just choosing to defer to the majority opinion rather than grandstand.)

Also finally letting customs Zelda move up a tier, though remaining the worst character in the game. Phantom Strike punishing air dodges is what pushed me over the edge.

:4dk::4robinm::4jigglypuff::4pacman::4rob::4lucario::4megaman::4shulk::4tlink::4metaknight::4charizard:
:4myfriends::4bowserjr::4ganondorf::4link::4bowser::4marth::4kirby::4duckhunt::4gaw:
:4littlemac::4palutena::4wiifit::4drmario::4falco::4samus::4dedede::4lucina:

:4pikachu::4fox::4ness::4luigi::4yoshi::4palutena::4miibrawl::4falcon::4dk::4villager::4mario::4olimar:
:4peach::4robinm::4pit::4darkpit::4greninja::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4wario::4shulk::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4charizard::4lucario::4bowser::4megaman::4rob:
:4jigglypuff::4tlink::4pacman::4wiifit::4kirby::4metaknight::4link::4marth::4samus::4gaw:
:4littlemac::4falco::4miigun::4drmario:
:4lucina::4miisword::4dedede::4zelda:
Moves up 2 tiers relative to a no-customs list: :4dk::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4bowserjr::4bowser::4duckhunt::4wiifit::4samus:
Moves up 1 tier relative to a no-customs list: :4villager::4mario::4olimar::4robinm::4lucario::4shulk::4charizard::4megaman::4rob::4gaw::4link::4kirby::4marth::4littlemac::4falco::4zelda:
Why is Falco so low? In a customs environment, he gets a disjointed attack with decent damage and knockback that still thwarts projectiles (Reflector Void), an invincible side special that makes him more difficult to gimp (Falco Phase), and an up special that similarly makes him harder to gimp (discontinued Pontiac sports car). Getting gimped has always been a weakness of Falco's, I think it getting patched should mean a lot more. Additionally Falco has amazing standard attacks, which should place him at least in the middle tier.

Lolofora

Smash Rookie
About Diddy's up throw. My experience with player is limited in this game, but I did play many game against lvl 9 cpu. Maybe my timing is wrong or they are cheating, but I tried at many % and they almost always have enough time to air dodge the first Uair after the Uthrow

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Why is Falco so low? In a customs environment, he gets a disjointed attack with decent damage and knockback that still thwarts projectiles (Reflector Void), an invincible side special that makes him more difficult to gimp (Falco Phase), and an up special that similarly makes him harder to gimp (discontinued Pontiac sports car). Getting gimped has always been a weakness of Falco's, I think it getting patched should mean a lot more. Additionally Falco has amazing standard attacks, which should place him at least in the middle tier.
question. who is he better than?
teir gaps are closer with customs falco being as low as he is can mean very little to his tourny victory life currently.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I think several characters can deal with this if they switch to their version of up b that gains more height. Now just run off and make it a fight for the ledge vs Villager.
This is actually also preferable not to have a hitbox on your recovery when dealing with balloons as they will automatically edgeguard when something pops them. Linear recoveries that rise with a hitbox like Marth, Mario and Shulk will get stagespiked or sent up and away from the stage repeatedly.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
question. who is he better than?
teir gaps are closer with customs falco being as low as he is can mean very little to his tourny victory life currently.
Do you mean overall or matchup-specific? If the latter then he beats (Dr.) Mario, Charizard, and R.O.B. I only know those characters out of experience; Falco's metagame is moving very slowly, any other character I could list would be an assumption based on theory.

So I guess it does make sense he's low; placing him any higher would appeal too much to theory since Falco in either the customs or non-customs metagames is largely or wholly unexplored.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
Personally, I don't think tier placements are important in early tier lists. Falco might deserve the spot you mentioned, but until he shows his prowess, he is currently a non factor in the meta game, which justifies his tier placement as of now. The same could be said about a lot of characters, but you have to start somewhere. If this was an official tier list, it might motivate Custom Falco users to show them their moves.

NNID
Budget_Player
So, everyone has an answer for this strategy that took players by surprise before they adapted.

Motion to move on? Like how hard Luigi gets counter picked even though he's so good against the top?
Howso? I'd think that free strings up to 50-60 and then kill setups from there would make it quite hard to counterpick you. His ground mobility is pretty great, he's got awesome rolls...

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Howso? I'd think that free strings up to 50-60 and then kill setups from there would make it quite hard to counterpick you. His ground mobility is pretty great, he's got awesome rolls...
I've heard that Villager (and would assume that Rosalina) screws him over pretty hard, because he has to actually get in on opponents to be good, and fireballs don't help that much there.

Others will know more than me, but that's what I've seen/heard/would assume.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

:4dk::4robinm::4jigglypuff::4pacman::4rob::4lucario::4megaman::4shulk::4tlink::4metaknight::4charizard:
:4myfriends::4bowserjr::4ganondorf::4link::4bowser::4marth::4kirby::4duckhunt::4gaw:
:4littlemac::4palutena::4wiifit::4drmario::4falco::4samus::4dedede::4lucina:

:4pikachu::4fox::4ness::4luigi::4yoshi::4palutena::4miibrawl::4falcon::4dk::4villager::4mario::4olimar:
:4peach::4robinm::4pit::4darkpit::4greninja::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4wario::4shulk::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4charizard::4lucario::4bowser::4megaman::4rob:
:4jigglypuff::4tlink::4pacman::4wiifit::4kirby::4metaknight::4link::4marth::4samus::4gaw:
:4littlemac::4falco::4miigun::4drmario:
:4lucina::4miisword::4dedede::4zelda:
Moves up 2 tiers relative to a no-customs list: :4dk::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4bowserjr::4bowser::4duckhunt::4wiifit::4samus:
Moves up 1 tier relative to a no-customs list: :4villager::4mario::4olimar::4robinm::4lucario::4shulk::4charizard::4megaman::4rob::4gaw::4link::4kirby::4marth::4littlemac::4falco::4zelda:
muhwahahaha, Swordfighter gains another spot upwards, soon he will be top tier.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Don't have time for 10 pages right now so I'll just respond to my own posts:

Not even Street Fighter gets this right (see also: T.Hawk, who is terrible on basically every level)
Isn't O.T Hawk actually considered quite good now in SSF2T? I recall he had some shenanigans where he could repeatedly tick you with his command grab or something.

It's really, really hard to do. The main issue really is that slow characters don't move fast enough for combos.
This is a Smash Bros specific problem, but yes, it's why mobility is generally so strong in this series. This is why I feel that heavies need throw combos, because they can do those (how they get the grab is still an issue).

Like, sure, T.Hawk's heavy command throw does 250 damage and is a frame two grab. You know what else does 250 damage? Any basic meterless hit confirm from someone like Cammy or Fei Long. Oh, and they get a knockdown afterwards which they can do something with, and those hit confirms are generally pretty safe, unlike T.Hawk.
If you're talking about SF4, I'm pretty sure the only good thing about T Hawk is Condor Spire. There was some Japanese T.Hawk at some majors last year who shook things up a bit, but yeah, the character doesn't seem that strong. Maybe he got better in Ultra, but no one really plays him.

Like, just to make this issue clear, what does Shiek get off a grab? At lower %s, she gets fair strings and combos until you're offstage, and usually a solid 30-50%; at high %s setups to kill moves. What does Bowser get off a grab? 13 damage, and a relatively weak killing bthrow which might end a stock around 130 if you're lucky.
This is obviously a problem, but it's something that can be fixed.

Heavies need to not just hit harder, they need to hit way harder, because the fragile speedsters get combos to 50-60% basically for free, and Heavies are usually too slow to have decent combos.
Yup.

The archetype just doesn't work very well in Smash, unless we want to talk about Brawl-, where it did work, but only because we cranked the heavies up to 11. Ganon worked in Brawl- because one hit usually meant losing your stock. Sure, it did for a lot of the cast, but with Ganon it was just really blatantly obvious.
For a character like Ganon, you really should not be able to let him get more than 2-3 openings and live. I feel that if you have over 60% damage and he lands Flame Choke, you should be dead (maybe unless you're Bowser or something, who might be just heavy enough to survive it).

I don't see this as the right example.
Pika and Ganon are literally at the opposite sides of the weight scale. If anything the real schicm is that Ganondorf is stuck with the warlock punch instead of a projectile for some godawful reason and that quick attack is absurd. Otherwise Pikachu has every justification to be equal and/or superior to Ganon given Pikachu dies like 25-40% earlier...
I have been advocating him getting a projectile for a long time. Really, he should have been the one to get the move that works like how Gordos work now, since he's famous for projectiles that can be hit back at him.

Actually I guess I also have to respond to this:

Someone asked me for my latest tier impressions, so I thought I'd post it here. Not many changes (several tiny shifts), though I am putting Diddy above Sheik. (I still think they are roughly equal--I'm just choosing to defer to the majority opinion rather than grandstand)
I'll give my thoughts:

Customs off is basically a consensus at this point I think, I'm not sure there's much left to discuss here. The one thing that stands out to me is Metaknight - I think we're starting to realize that he's actually pretty strong, certainly moreso than his "eh somewhere around Toon Link" placement would suggest. I would likely move him up to around where Greninja is. I also feel that Link and Ike are both better than Zard in customs off, and would likely swap their positions so Ike is first and Zard is last.

For customs on, I still have some of the same thoughts as before. I fully expect Yoshi will move down 3 (behind Palutena, Brawler, and DK, which means I think DK will pass Falcon, too), and I still really disagree about Mii Gunner's placement, but if you want to claim we don't have the results to justify moving her up yet then fine. Once again, I feel MK is way too low here. He will probably drop a few positions from his Customs Off position (since Greninja gains more from Customs than he does AFAIK), but there's no way he's below Puff and Kirby, that's just crazy talk.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Assuming we don't get spiked. If we change our up b's can't we attempt to attack villager from below? He is also vulnerable from that area too.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Luigi's ground mobility is far from great (same run speed as Ike) and his air mobility is awful. Poor speed + poor range = able to get walled out. Add in his traction issues, which makes some things safe on block, and a bad dash attack (not unusable, but still bad). His saving grace in neutral is his fireballs, PP/pivot jump canceled up smash, and crawl.

If you can disrespect his fireball game and play mid-range to where rolls end up in front of you, you win neutral and win it hard.

Add in his susceptibility to juggles (down-B is a good mixup option, but it's very punishable if baited) and his disadvantage can be troublesome.

Advantage means very little if you're constantly in neutral. Especially since characters can reset so easily due to his poor mobility. Villager, Rosa, Mega are somewhat common counter picks. Wft, lucario, Olimar?, ZSS, Charizard?, Pit, Greninja, and Bowser Jr. are characters who I can see Luigi having a lot of trouble approaching.

I can see the Luigi meta evolving similar to how Diddy has gone away from grab spamming, but as it is now, I can't get on the Luigi train.

Serious bias though as a mega man main who plays a Luigi frequently. That MU is so sad if MM's zoning is on point. But I think, for the most part, I've put the bias aside and looked at things objectively.

Edit: customs hurt Luigi more than they help him. Windboxes make fjp even more risky and also mess with his traction. There are other customs that mess with him (scalding fludd?) But my exposure to customs vs Luigi is limited.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
olimar mu for luigi isnt that hard because of his fast aerials that can kill pikmin (namely nair and bair).
it's like brawl but a little easier. he debatably wins it because olimar is almost as immobile as luigi.

rosa/luigi is weird. you can disrespect luigis awful ranged game but you just need to avoid getting grabbed because she's so tall. stupid thing like uthrow>tornado kill at like 70 off the top of fd for some reason.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Luigi's ground mobility is far from great (same run speed as Ike) and his air mobility is awful. Poor speed + poor range = able to get walled out. Add in his traction issues, which makes some things safe on block, and a bad dash attack (not unusable, but still bad). His saving grace in neutral is his fireballs, PP/pivot jump canceled up smash, and crawl.

If you can disrespect his fireball game and play mid-range to where rolls end up in front of you, you win neutral and win it hard.

Add in his susceptibility to juggles (down-B is a good mixup option, but it's very punishable if baited) and his disadvantage can be troublesome.

Advantage means very little if you're constantly in neutral. Especially since characters can reset so easily due to his poor mobility. Villager, Rosa, Mega are somewhat common counter picks. Wft, lucario, Olimar?, ZSS, Charizard?, Pit, Greninja, and Bowser Jr. are characters who I can see Luigi having a lot of trouble approaching.

I can see the Luigi meta evolving similar to how Diddy has gone away from grab spamming, but as it is now, I can't get on the Luigi train.

Serious bias though as a mega man main who plays a Luigi frequently. That MU is so sad if MM's zoning is on point. But I think, for the most part, I've put the bias aside and looked at things objectively.

Edit: customs hurt Luigi more than they help him. Windboxes make fjp even more risky and also mess with his traction. There are other customs that mess with him (scalding fludd?) But my exposure to customs vs Luigi is limited.
What do you think of Up B's for Mega Man vs. Extreme Tripping Villager? Having the strong recovery via Beat sounds nice, but being able to drop big fat Tornado Holds next to the ledge has its own appeal.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
What do you think of Up B's for Mega Man vs. Extreme Tripping Villager? Having the strong recovery via Beat sounds nice, but being able to drop big fat Tornado Holds next to the ledge has its own appeal.
I think DAir hitting through ebt and spiking Villager is enough of an answer. Not to mention shielding at the ledge, which everyone can do.

I've found Rush to be the most useful. The invincibility/intangibility? Has saved me a couple times from bowling balls, and the instant vertical helps against slingshots. I don't have any experience with the other 2 in the MU, but T Hold seems like you're just asking to get gimped/edge guarded.

Edit: back to Luigi, as people just get better at the game, his weaknesses are going to get exploited more. Yes, Rosa needs to avoid getting grabbed (so does mega and everyone), but they have the tools to do so. It just takes good defensive play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom