• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Thinking about I never heard anything about Captain Falcon's customs.

What does he gain?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
dong status:☐ not expanded ☑ expanded

the dong showing his little cousin who's top banana in this bunch

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Burning Spin Dash does have some niche uses I think. Higher DPS, and the hop height "nerf" does give Sonic a new range to wall with Bairs and such.

Weird thing about Burning Spin Dash though - the Spin Dash Jump nerf from BSD is also applied to Spin Charge, even if Spin Charge doesn't have any customs on it. So if Sonic opts for BSD, he loses his standard SDJ height. Rather peculiar and indirect nerf to Sonic's game, really.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Thinking about I never heard anything about Captain Falcon's customs.

What does he gain?
From what I remember, his Falcon Kick customs are useful, but I don't remember for what reasons. As for everything else, I don't know, especially losing the Falcon Dive for no hitbox and a vertical recovery or a stronger version that still needs him to grab someone. Windup Raptor Boost might be useful, but it might get predictable like Diddy's Backflip custom.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So Spin Charge does basically become Burning Spin Dash when that custom is on. Aerial Spin Charge carries the same fire effect as BSD does, lol.

The move looks like it true combos into Homing Attack at 110% or so though, which can KO, so that's decent.

And the hop nerf is just enough to where Sonic can SDJ along the stage, and end the jump just as he touches the ground, letting him Jab, tilt, roll, pretty much anything in neutral.

This is a weird move, lol. It requires a specific playstyle and mindset, but it can pay dividends if played correctly.

Last edited:

Forty4

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePriceIsWrong
Imo, Yoshi isn't terrible with customs, it's just that he's a lot better of without them. He gets a better recovery, but loses a fantastic projectile. He loses a command grab. He loses a kill move. 1111 Yoshi is the best set.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
phenomenal set, **** rosalina, shoutouts to wills dk for bringing it back even after dabuz cheesed him out with that up air off the top

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Is the shooting stars customs useful in any way for Yoshi? Also, Lick's okay, right?

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
The stream monsters are pissed but I'll say it again: Luma Warp makes Rosie WAY more interesting.
Hey they were praising him at least once throughout that set. And it was deserved, such smart play and spacing coming from Dabuz

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
More fun to spectate. More fun to side bet on. More fun to mess and lab with your character.

Just a better gaming experience in every possible way.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Mostly, I think 3 stock is more important for the players to handle more of the cheese, but overall a fantastic showing of customs.

NNID
Budget_Player
So DK is bad because a player makes it to Winners Finals, shows CLEARLY what DK with custom moves can pull off and how much better he has been, but starts going on tilt and loses?
No, he's bad for all the same reasons he's always been bad - huge body, meh normals, mediocre combos. Kong Cyclone helps (a lot), but look at how they played. It neither elevates the character to top tier status nor provides the silver bullet to breaking the game.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Is the shooting stars customs useful in any way for Yoshi? Also, Lick's okay, right?
It's a bit safer because of the bigger stars giving it more range, but Yoshi Bomb's kill power is too good to sacrifice. Yoshi's only worthwhile customs imo are the neutral B customs, though Lick is trading a great b-reversable command grab for a good kill move, so it's a bit hard to make a case for.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
More fun to spectate. More fun to side bet on. More fun to mess and lab with your character.

Just a better gaming experience in every possible way.
Since you're here, is Marth and Lucina's Storm Thrust useful in any way? DK's Storm Punch is ludicrous, but then there's Marth and Lucina's which is more concentrated.

No, he's bad for all the same reasons he's always been bad - huge body, meh normals, mediocre combos. Kong Cyclone helps (a lot), but look at how they played. It neither elevates the character to top tier status nor provides the silver bullet to breaking the game.
Palutena on the other hand and Mii Brawler and Mii Gunner get a lot out of customs from what I hear. This is Pally with Superspeed and Lightweight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCDDTHhAkVw.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Again, the jankiest thing I saw from that GF was Rosa's u-air.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
dabuz is like the best rosa and rosa becomes even better with customs. and he still got pressured by DK wills dk. if anything this SHOULD be making us look at dk as a contender for top tier if anything. unless u think rosa is not top tier of course.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Again, the jankiest thing I saw from that GF was Rosa's u-air.
It killed 6wX and now it kills Will. So, Rosalina and Diddy's Uair are considered the most jankiest ones, right? Rosie's got a long vertical hitbox on it and Diddy's got a hitbox surrounding him.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
you can respect someone and still strongly dislike them, thats the relationship i have with dabuz and seagull joe.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
From what I remember, his Falcon Kick customs are useful, but I don't remember for what reasons. As for everything else, I don't know, especially losing the Falcon Dive for no hitbox and a vertical recovery or a stronger version that still needs him to grab someone. Windup Raptor Boost might be useful, but it might get predictable like Diddy's Backflip custom.
The vertical Falcon Dive has a hitbox above Falcon, just no grabbox. Lightning Falcon Kick can combo into Knee if you space it correctly, but this is very punishable if you don't connect. Dashing Falcon Punch is mediocre, but still better than the alternatives. No strong opinion on the Side-B customs. Not really convinced that they're upgrades. I do think some of Falcon's customs make him a little better, but none of them strike me as things that'll see much use, they're just less bad than his defaults.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Will is such a strange player. When he get demoralized his play just drops like stone. But if he gets momentum he gives trouble to m2k, dabuz, and ally its crazy.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
real talk is captain falcon the only character that can get away with having subpar specials but still manage to be in the higher echelons of the cast because his other attributes are that good?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
real talk is captain falcon the only character that can get away with having subpar specials but still manage to be in the higher echelons of the cast because his other attributes are that good?
Can't Jigglypuff do this too? Except, Jigglypuff's status isn't really known yet and what about Fox?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Can't Jigglypuff do this too? Except, Jigglypuff's status isn't really known yet and what about Fox?
Now I would call Rest "subpar" but everything else jiggs has is meh or flat out bad.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
eh, fox's side b is a usable burst mobility option you can use to escape disadvantage. and jigglypuff has rest and pound, so her entire set isnt bad.

fox's special set may be mediocre but falcons is just bad/subpar.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
fox's special set may be mediocre but falcons is just bad/subpar.
The fact that Captain Falcon has Falcon Punch makes the thought of him needing better specials invalid. Falcon Punch isn't that great of a move, but the testosterone the move gives to Captain Falcon is distributed to the rest of his kit and it makes it so Captain Falcon is a strong character. How else has he been so good all these years?

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
The fact that Falcon has Falcon Punch makes the thought of him needing better specials invalid. Falcon Punch isn't that great of a move, but the testosterone the move gives to Captain Falcon is distributed to the rest of his kit and it makes it so Captain Falcon is a strong character. How else has he been so good all these years?
if its giving him testosterone then where's the beard

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Since you're here, is Marth and Lucina's Storm Thrust useful in any way? DK's Storm Punch is ludicrous, but then there's Marth and Lucina's which is more concentrated.
I know you weren't asking me, but...

It isn't as good as their other neutral custom, Assault Dash. Storm Thrust can give you a bit of space I guess, but it's not as useful as Assault Dash, which gives Marth and Lucina more maneuverability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom