• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
And the implications of something I've known academically for a while but never really seen the implications of until now:

Kirby always copies the default neutral special.

In a customs environment, the opponent's choice of custom can impact whether it's worth Kirby's time to try and copy the opponent. MikeKirby made good use of Metal Blade to outrange Shadow Blade from game 2 on.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
And the implications of something I've known academically for a while but never really seen the implications of until now:

Kirby always copies the default neutral special.

In a customs environment, the opponent's choice of custom can impact whether it's worth Kirby's time to try and copy the opponent. MikeKirby made good use of Metal Blade to outrange Shadow Blade from game 2 on.
for the most part though kirby finds grabbing a projectile worth it in general.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
So wait, is there anyone that's supposedly the Diddy of Customs right now? I feel like some people think it's Palutena, others say DK, and now it might be Megaman or something. Is it too early to tell?

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
So wait, is there anyone that's supposedly the Diddy of Customs right now? I feel like some people think it's Palutena, others say DK, and now it might be Megaman or something. Is it too early to tell?
We don't really know tbh, not only is this way too soon to tell, but the hype is clouding our minds as well. So many characters are really good and fun to see man.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Watching this wft reminds me that her mobility specs are really damn good. decent run speed and actually high air speed plus good air traction is insane and with customs she can actually utilize those propeties. its awsome.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Everything at this point is still new and impressive, so we can't say anything yet.

That said, WFT looks really formidable.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
But I know that you know about custom fruit shenanigans >:)
Freaky Fruit is one of the only customs I have and I think it's my favorite. Gives Pacman a deadly gimmick, and forces the opponent to observe you and the fruit.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
God I'm in a love/hate relationship with how obnoxious customs Villager is. Trip Sapling can be downright brutal and edgeguarding them just became more impossible.
just remember that MM don't give flips about Counter timber and D-air can hit villager without you getting hit by EBT

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
But I know that you know about custom fruit shenanigans >:)
Boy do I...
Pac-Man + legitimate kill confirms in the form of freaky cherry and strawberry = :chuckle:
Instant hydrant launch with freaky melon z drops.
All the edgeguards/ledgeguards!
Lazy Galaxians that break shields!!
Crazy fruit trajectories with the hydrant water and boomerang hydrant tosses with the strawberry?!

It's going to be amazing

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Pretty sure that was because WFT was holding down during the Cyclone

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
nice profile picture
This guy knows what's up.

Anyway, I'd like to say that I think R.O.B. has the potential to be a contender in the top 10-15 in a customs environment. His third up-b makes follow-ups off his throws absolutely bonkers, as well as improving his ability to chase offstage. Infinite Robo Beam has the capability to stuff a lot of approaches combined with the gyro being out to stop people from coming after you on the ground. He already has great aerials and smashes. The most enticing factor to his customs though is that he can 0-death the majority of the cast with d-throw followed by a series of up-airs, now that he has the air speed to chase and combo into it. I truly believe that a skilled, dedicated R.O.B. main will be able to reasonably pull this off in a professional setting if he's good enough at reading airdodges and DI. R.O.B. gets a gigantic boost in mobility (while airborne at least), better defensive game, and combos so dumb that it would put Diddy's hoo-hah to shame.

Thoughts?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
We need to talk about customs Rosalina.

We all thought she'd be weaker in a customs environment but she just gets immensely more powerful with Luma warp.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I just wondered this, but is there a character that gets worse with customs? I don't mean that other characters with customs outclass them, but I mean the options given make the character even crappier.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I just wondered this, but is there a character that gets worse with customs? I don't mean that other characters with customs outclass them, but I mean the options given make the character even crappier.
Looking like Ness and Diddy Kong.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Pikachu?

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
PK Freeze is a straight downgrade from PK Flash for Ness. Moves at the exact same speed except it freezes instead of killing.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
None at all, because giving every character in the game more options can no way directly nerf anyone, it can only help a character become better, not worse. At the VERY LEAST, custom moves provide a niche move that can work in a specific match-up.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Reflector Void... DAMMIT! IT'S NOT A BLACK HOLE AND CAN'T EAT LUMA! FRICK! *goes back to the drawing board*

Zelda was considered to have customs that make her even worse, but the Zelda boards figured out that they work decently. I'm talking about if a say, Mario's customs just bad him even worse like a weaker version of Side Smash for a custom Neutral instead of Fast Fireball, a "shotgun" FLUDD instead of Scalding FLUDD, or an ground-only Super Jump Punch instead of Explosive Jump Punch which makes his recovery even worse and works like a crappier version of Dr. Mario's Super Jump Punch.

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
And this is why we don't ban Kong Cyclone. Because DK is still not a good character.
So DK is bad because a player makes it to Winners Finals, shows CLEARLY what DK with custom moves can pull off and how much better he has been, but starts going on tilt and loses?

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Jigglypuff doesn't really gain anything in customs. Maybe Pound Blitz? Sideways Pound has a bit too much endlag tacked on to it, her two Rest customs are situational, her Sing customs are worthless, Raging Rollout is begging to be jumped over, and I don't know what to make of Relentless Rollout.

1111 Diddy proving to be the best custom set so far though.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I haven't heard much on Sonic's customs aside from Hammer Dash getting mentioned from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom