• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
If we fail to treat Zero as an outlier, we are forced to conclude that Diddy Kong is a very strong counter to Diddy Kong.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Pac Man will probably be a decent counter (heh) to a custom Villager because Pac can take the sapling out of the game really easily. Simply by placing a hydrant on the sapling, Pac will no longer be tripped. This forces the Villager to either water the tree or pocket the hydrant if they want to regain stage control. Pocketing the hydrant is punishable and not really that great of an idea because Pac can just *Gasp* drop another on the sapling and bye bye annoying move. Watering the tree isn't a bad idea and can make for some interesting combos because of it's :202: nature but it doesn't have the same stage control or scare factor as an immovable Diddy Banana that lasts forever. I was about to play one of Melbourne's top players online once for some custom friendlies. The player hyped up the move a lot and it was incredibly anti-climactic when I just dropped a hydrant down on the sapling and took it completely out of the game.
I believe we can drop a trampoline on top of it too, just like we can to diddy's bananas. And every lloid rocket is destroyed by the side B pellet.
Villager is forced to go on the offensive in this match, and it is a fun one indeed.
Unless he steals our fruit and never lets it go...then It might become incredibly campy

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I believe we can drop a trampoline on top of it too, just like we can to diddy's bananas. And every lloid rocket is destroyed by the side B pellet.
Villager is forced to go on the offensive in this match, and it is a fun one indeed.
Unless he steals our fruit and never lets I it go...then I don't know how anyone is going to approach
Not like Villager doesn't want to go offensive :4villager:.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Olimar does not have that good of a matchup against diddy did you see Apex 2015 grand finals? Zero 3-0 'd That one olimar and the whole time you could see Zero had it wrapped up.
Dabuz got exposed in that set, not Olimar. M2K is closer to dabuz's level and he also got 3-0'd after Oli came out

I don't have much of an opinion on the MU yet but that set wasn't a good example, a lot of it was just Zero calling what dabuz was going to do before he did it. If he had dropped games while being that far inside his opponents head what would that say about the MU, is the MU bad if the other character doesn't win some just for showing up?

No one literally on the entire planet is on Zero's level right now, if you want to use him as an example you need to look at HOW he's winning in depth instead of simply the fact that he does so convincingly.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Unless he steals our fruit and never lets it go...then It might become incredibly campy
Losing battle for Villager if Pac-Man is using On Fire Hydrant, but I don't think Villager will be devoted to camping anyway.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
If we fail to treat Zero as an outlier, we are forced to conclude that Diddy Kong is a very strong counter to Diddy Kong.
Thought experiment: If a character has 6:4 matchups (or better) across the board except for the mirror, which is 5:5, is that character technically a counter to itself?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Villager can just take it out and repocket. The misconception here is that the bananas are Diddy's sole asset. He's got plenty of tricks up his sleeve, so it's not like Villager shuts him down.
A banana-less Diddy is at least a step forward for the character.

I might experiment with Villager as a "Diddy counter". Though I doubt a real one exists in this game.

Forty4

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePriceIsWrong
Could someone explain to me why ZSS and Sonic are considered top-tier?

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Top tiers are going to happen no matter how balanced a game is. I don't mind Diddy in that sense. I only wish that he wasn't top tier just to have someone with a steeper learning curve at the top. Diddy isn't difficult to learn, and has a high skill ceiling and a low skill floor. Which is not the best combination for an otherwise solid game in terms of balance.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Today? Or tommorow
For me, today. I don't know about other regions, though. It's patch 1.05 for the 3DS and does kill replays, so there's probably changes. How major they are, we don't know.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I'm probably overthinking it, but it would be funny if Ninty intentionally withheld patch notes to see what changes in gameplay people "discover" (which is often placebo) and then collect THAT data for further evaluation... maybe too far-fetched.

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
If replay are no longer valid, does that confirm balance changes ? I think last time there was a patch (15 8 player stage) we could still watch replay no ?

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
It feels like they're being intentionally difficult when every single goddamn patch has the line "as well as other gameplay adjustments." even when there aren't

for the record Villager can pocket the bonus fruit and as long as Villager has the fruin in her hand Pacman can't spawn another one. IDK how the insanity that is customs pac-man vs customs Villager will actually playout
I didn't mention the fruit. Hydrant is more important in a custom Villager game really as it just wipes out your sapling.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Well I'm downloading the patch now. So I guess I'll let you all know?

EDIT 1: Taking a looooong time. 5 minutes now and 75% done?

Last edited:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Its going be pretty easy to test if there was any balance patch...
First thing to test... HOO AH !

If no changes, there was no changes in the patch :p

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Finished downloading, I got this message right away : "Your friends can send replays, Mii Fighters, snapshots, and messages to you via SpotPass using Share mode. Would you like to receive these? Yes/No.

So...

EDIT: Replays do NOT work now.

Last edited:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Finished downloading, I got this message right away : "Your friends can send replays, Mii Fighters, snapshots, and messages to you via SpotPass using Share mode. Would you like to receive these? Yes/No.

So...

EDIT: Replays do NOT work now.
Could be because of the new feature... They probably need to add some data to the replay files for the sharing to work... I dont think there will be any balance in this patch...

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Ok I think I'm having a nightmare...is Luigi's D throw not comboing as well anyone? :SI hope it's just me...

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Why would they even take away his down throw while leaving Diddy's demon throw intact?

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'm seriously the only one with the patch?

Diddy's HOO HAA IS GONE. It launches them sideways now. EDIT: Um...leads to a bair or fair now.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Um guys how about we wait or help with a community patchnotes instead of making such bold claims?

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Game and Watch U smash kills at 65 now fully charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom