• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
I hear a lot about certain custom moves and I want to know more about them... I've searched and tested them myself but I cant' seem to find really good use to them.

Timber counter for example... what is so good with it ?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
I hear a lot about certain custom moves and I want to know more about them... I've searched and tested them myself but I cant' seem to find really good use to them.

its like a banana that cant used against you

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)

For these kinds of questions I'd direct you to youtube, there's a lot of info there if you want to see the customs in action. That's not really a conversational question for anyone here.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Your pocket should be Sheik, ZSS or Diddy
With your main being Sheik, ZSS or Diddy.
Your pocket pocket should be Sheik, ZSS or Diddy.

Doing anything less and you're not serious about competition.
With the way information is being spread around expect everyone who does not follow this set up to not only lose, but turn into a non-ninja frog.

Unless you counter pick with a pocket Kirby, *something that beats ZSS*, Megamanz.
While maining Kirby, *something that beats ZSS*, Megamanz
and pocket pocket Kirby, ZSS, Megamanz.

There is no other way.

Last edited:

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
Timber counter is strong because of its versatility, but it provides stage control and setup to send you offstage instead of power and kill potential unlike the original. The sprout itself is basically a banana that going to say there as long as it wants, whether you like it or not. You also have watering can which is a great defensive tool for stopping attacks from coming towards you and gimping recovery, like the original. The tree deals a 5% AOE attack that triggers when hit by you or the villager, except for the killing blow, and the axe bypasses the tree's hp system. The axe and tree themselves are rather lackluster, which is the trade off. Growing the tree and cutting it could be useful though in case you might need wood to arm yourself with.

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
For these kinds of questions I'd direct you to youtube, there's a lot of info there if you want to see the customs in action. That's not really a conversational question for anyone here.
I've looked at youtube and ive tested myself... I dont see anything really.
I said I did try it and did my research and couldnt find the "Big thing" about it... Plus try searching for it on google and youtube and nothing point out why its that strong...

Cenizas explained, thank you.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
Your pocket should be Sheik, ZSS or Diddy
With your main being Sheik, ZSS or Diddy.
Your pocket pocket should be Sheik, ZSS or Diddy.

Doing anything less and you're not serious about competition.
With the way information is being spread around expect everyone who does not follow this set up to not only lose, but turn into a non-ninja frog.

Unless you counter pick with a pocket Kirby, *something that beats ZSS*, Megamanz.
While maining Kirby, *something that beats ZSS*, Megamanz
and pocket pocket Kirby, ZSS, Megamanz.

There is no other way.
***** this aint brawl you can play more than 3 characters and expect to win lmao

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
What do you all think of Meta Knight?
Mid tier at best. He's got some nice things in Smash4, but lost everything that made him dominant in Brawl. Making a mistake will get you punished.

Some neat things he did get:
  • Dimensional Cape is more powerful
  • Drill side B properly traps opponents
  • Bair is powerful and can KO offstage off the side at ~85%
  • Dair is good for pressuring shielding opponents
Trouble is his difficulty getting KOs, his range is meh (not only did they shorten his sword, but his hitbox is smaller than it on some attacks), a nerfed Shuttle Loop purely for KOs and recovery, nerfed speed, and more lag to his attacks. He's usable, but now he needs to try.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
What a coincidence a non-ninja frog responds.

Im some kind of psychic.
except i dont play :4greninja:? i play :4yoshi: :4charizard: and :4sonic: , i just have this username so its consistent across all forums i visit

but seriously this isnt melee you can be competitive outside of diddy, sheik, and zss

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
You know, I am starting to think that Villager can be pretty anti Diddy, considering that his zoning game can, to an extend, wall Diddy out of his grab range and the fact that he can pocket Banana and make it unusuable for Diddy. He may have other tricks up his sleeves though.

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
Plus, Villager's near God-tier aerials, and having one of the best recoveries in the game, combined with how trash Diddy is offstage, Diddy is one of Villager's most free stocks in game. The thing is though, Villager doesn't have many good OoS options, so Diddy could pressure him well. I don't know how well Villager fares against Hoo Hah, but I don't expect much either. I personally feel Villager only has maybe around 55:45 against Diddy at best.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Villager can just take it out and repocket. The misconception here is that the bananas are Diddy's sole asset. He's got plenty of tricks up his sleeve, so it's not like Villager shuts him down.
yeah but counter timber can make diddy grabbing the biggest pain in the ass ever.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Mid tier at best. He's got some nice things in Smash4, but lost everything that made him dominant in Brawl. Making a mistake will get you punished.

Some neat things he did get:
  • Dimensional Cape is more powerful
  • Drill side B properly traps opponents
  • Bair is powerful and can KO offstage off the side at ~85%
  • Dair is good for pressuring shielding opponents
Trouble is his difficulty getting KOs, his range is meh (not only did they shorten his sword, but his hitbox is smaller than it on some attacks), a nerfed Shuttle Loop purely for KOs and recovery, nerfed speed, and more lag to his attacks. He's usable, but now he needs to try.
A) you slapped meta knight on mid tier because you're not sure where else to put him, mid tier has mediocre characters that do not have that many great mu against the top and meta knight isn't in that category. And B) this myth of him struggling to kill will hopefully die down. Despite the fact that he he has various kill set ups and more kill moves than his brawl incarnation people still got this twisted. 9th fastest dash in the game and decent air mobility backed with 6 jumps is good enough, his mobility is better than most of the cast.Got video evidence of meta knight killing Rosalina at 85% with shuttle loop and killing villager in its low 80's from a f smash read. http://smashboards.com/threads/do-you-like-the-new-not-as-op-metaknight.382412/#post-18536544

Last edited:

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
I haven't lol. 2 A+ characters in bottom tier and Lucina Link and Duck hunt in A+ lmfao. This looks like a for glory tier list.
Olimar and Wario are NOT A+ characters. I'll admit, im pretty biased on Greninja's listing, but Wario? No. Olimar, C-B tier.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Olimar and Wario are NOT A+ characters. I'll admit, im pretty biased on Greninja's listing, but Wario? No. Olimar, C-B tier.
What problems do u see with wario and olimar?
olimar actually has a good mu against diddy witch is cool.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
What problems do u see with wario and olimar?
olimar actually has a good mu against diddy witch is cool.
Olimar does not have that good of a matchup against diddy did you see Apex 2015 grand finals? Zero 3-0 'd That one olimar and the whole time you could see Zero had it wrapped up. Wario is slow, poor juggling options, hardly any reliable combos, punishable bike, and very, VERY stinky farts.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Olimar does not have that good of a matchup against diddy did you see Apex 2015 grand finals? Zero 3-0 'd That one olimar and the whole time you could see Zero had it wrapped up. Wario is slow, poor juggling options, hardly any reliable combos, punishable bike, and very, VERY stinky farts.

To be fair though, Zero is Zero.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
In what world is Wario slow?

He has arguably the best aerial mobility and great air footsies.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Wario is slow, poor juggling options, hardly any reliable combos, punishable bike, and very, VERY stinky farts.
Wario is fast in the air doesn't need to juggle when he has those chomp mixups and Waft is a threat. Also I would love to see you punish Bike from the long range that they like to use it and even then Bike is just fast enough that you can't constantly punish on reaction.
Next time be more careful about what you say about other characters.
In the smash world, his air footsies have limited hitboxes and low damage output. The queen for greatest aeriel mobility goes to jigglypuff.
I'll give you the hitboxes but damage?!
N-air 6+4% and can combo into a b-air or a waft
F-air deals 7% and allows him to retreat for another f-air
U-air deals about 13% and sets him up for juggles
B-air deals 12%
Lets not forget about Chomp that super quick command grab that charges Waft
You know what else is part of that air footsie game? Waft

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
In what world is Wario slow?

He has arguably the best aerial mobility and great air footsies.
His air mobility isn't that great, nor is his ability to weave. His strength lies in meaty hitboxes, Bite, and versatility. He is still good in the air, just not nearly as he was in Brawl. I wouldn't overstate his aerial mobility - it's good but not character-defining-ly good.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Pac Man will probably be a decent counter (heh) to a custom Villager because Pac can take the sapling out of the game really easily. Simply by placing a hydrant on the sapling, Pac will no longer be tripped. This forces the Villager to either water the tree or pocket the hydrant if they want to regain stage control. Pocketing the hydrant is punishable and not really that great of an idea because Pac can just *Gasp* drop another on the sapling and bye bye annoying move. Watering the tree isn't a bad idea and can make for some interesting combos because of it's :202: nature but it doesn't have the same stage control or scare factor as an immovable Diddy Banana that lasts forever. I was about to play one of Melbourne's top players online once for some custom friendlies. The player hyped up the move a lot and it was incredibly anti-climactic when I just dropped a hydrant down on the sapling and took it completely out of the game.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Wario is fast in the air doesn't need to juggle when he has those chomp mixups and Waft is a threat. Also I would love to see you punish Bike from the long range that they like to use it and even then Bike is just fast enough that you can't constantly punish on reaction.
Bike is extremely punishable, I have grabbed out of shield too many times for me not to come to this conclusion, I honestly think it is more important for edguarding, as showed in My Smash Corner's video. Chomp is so laggy and punishable, with so few followups, I laugh you even mention that as a positive.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
that was cuz zero was much better than dabuz. its like ray kalm beating tk breezy its not that surprising

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
that was cuz zero was much better than dabuz. its like ray kalm beating tk breezy its not that surprising
I give up, so you think Zero is best in smash 4 and Diddy had nothing to do with it, even with all of his amazing combo, spacing, edgeguarding, and juggling game. You got me.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke

I'll give you the hitboxes but damage?!
N-air 6+4% and can combo into a b-air or a waft
F-air deals 7% and allows him to retreat for another f-air
U-air deals about 13% and sets him up for juggles
B-air deals 12%
Lets not forget about Chomp that super quick command grab that charges Waft
You know what else is part of that air footsie game? Waft
most of the moves you mentioned have sourspots.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Pac Man will probably be a decent counter (heh) to a custom Villager because Pac can take the sapling out of the game really easily. Simply by placing a hydrant on the sapling, Pac will no longer be tripped. This forces the Villager to either water the tree or pocket the hydrant if they want to regain stage control. Pocketing the hydrant is punishable and not really that great of an idea because Pac can just *Gasp* drop another on the sapling and bye bye annoying move. Watering the tree isn't a bad idea and can make for some interesting combos because of it's :202: nature but it doesn't have the same stage control or scare factor as an immovable Diddy Banana that lasts forever. I was about to play one of Melbourne's top players online once for some custom friendlies. The player hyped up the move a lot and it was incredibly anti-climactic when I just dropped a hydrant down on the sapling and took it completely out of the game.
for the record Villager can pocket the bonus fruit and as long as Villager has the fruin in her hand Pacman can't spawn another one. IDK how the insanity that is customs pac-man vs customs Villager will actually playout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom