• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I posted this elsewhere, but I figured you guys would be interested too: Team Sp00ky is legalizing customs for their next tournament.
When is their next tournament?

If I ain't at college/studying for my midterms this week, I'm watching it. Gotta get that support out there for customs ASAP.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
When is their next tournament?

If I ain't at college/studying for my midterms this week, I'm watching it. Gotta get that support out there for customs ASAP.
No idea. :/ it should be advertised beforehand though.

The commentators and chat were very enthusiastic about this turn of events.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I think it's funny there's no unanimously judged "worst character/s".

Even like a bottom 3 seems everywhere from person to person.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
The majority of the world believes its Sword fighter.
Are these the same people who put Gunner in bottom tier?

The world at large still doesn't have much competitive experience with Miis. Not that I doubt Swordfighter could be the worst judging from what I hear, but it's almost a meme now

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Yea, I trust 0% of the people on this board about Miis.

"From my experience [For Glory]..."

"From what I've played [For Glory]..."

"I've been doing well with my character [For Glory]..."

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The only issue is that might be the only way they can get certain MUs because they have no local scene at all for some reason or can't for some reason or nobody plays X character in their scene.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The Mii Sworfighter board doesn't even have a full page of threads yet. xD

Last time I checked they had 3 threads. So an improvement I guess.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Mii Swordfighter feels at least a tier below both gunner and brawler. Maybe Miis are all underrated as a group but I think most people who are skeptical that Swordfighter can accomplish anything aren't just assuming that miis are terrible and the swordfighter is slightly worse than the other two.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Yea, I trust 0% of the people on this board about Miis.

"From my experience [For Glory]..."

"From what I've played [For Glory]..."

"I've been doing well with my character [For Glory]..."

I used to be a Swordfighter main, trust me they suck :/

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I posted this elsewhere, but I figured you guys would be interested too: Team Sp00ky is legalizing customs for their next tournament.
At last, Ganon is free, and he shall exact his revenge on the foul sages Ruleset Committee that had him sealed away. None shall be able to contain his wrath now! :4ganondorf:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I want to feel like I had a part in this. I subscribed to Sp00ky's stream during Apex and brought up the subject during sub-only mode while he was reading the chat.

Probably not, but maybe? :p

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
:4dedede:

Pay the toll. Gatekeeper Dedede is in business.

Smooth Criminal
The true bounty hunter can roam free :4samus: (not that i thought she was bad before)

And all hell is about to break loose. prepare your booty's for :4bowser:.

sooo how would you like them to pay? do u take gold coins?

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
The true bounty hunter can roam free :4samus: (not that i thought she was bad before)

And all hell is about to break loose. prepare your booty's for :4bowser:.

sooo how would you like them to pay? do u take gold coins?
That top 15 is looking mighty large.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
More thoughts about Zelda: she's one of those characters that demands an
intimate understanding of your opponent to succeed. As mentioned before many of
her moves have poor startup but great cooldown, an attribute that sets her apart from heavies
requiring similar understanding who often have both poor startup AND recovery on their smashes.
This, coupled with her lacking movement makes her poor at mounting offenses, but it makes her great
at stopping or punishing them, provided you can anticipate the angle they'll come at. Unlike heavies,
if Zelda throws out her smashes while her opponent is at arm's reach she isn't likely to be punished,
but if she starts them too late she'll get hit, so anticipation is key.

Phantom epitomizes this, stopping almost any ground assault with proper timing but easily
bypassed if the Zelda is too slow to fire. Nayru's is a sort of fail-safe that can beat any angle
with good timing but doesn't damage too much in return. Farore's extends this anticipation to projectile
users. And Hylia help you if you get read in the air against her.

This kind of playstyle is, of course, VERY far from reliable in a tournament setting,
but as a secondary, she can be potentially devastating if the player is good at memorizing
player habits.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Guys and girls, enough with the trolling and horse play. You can have fun, but please stick to the topic. Why do I feel like an old teacher at some school?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Guys and girls, enough with the trolling and horse play. You can have fun, but please stick to the topic. Why do I feel like an old teacher at some school?
Whaaat? We're just talking about how the path to our mains using awesome moves is getting more visible. Just you all wait about that Timber Counter though.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Whaaat? We're just talking about how the path to our mains using awesome moves is getting more visible. Just you all wait about that Timber Counter though.
**** that move with a passion. Villager is gunna destroy lives on battle field just because of that.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Camp harder vs. Ganon. He really struggles against a good camp game. If you go aggro against Ganon with most anyone except Sonic, Sheik, and sometimes Falcon it's pretty easy for Ganon to kill you. Of course every good Ganon has lots of experience against camping and won't get flustered. You do have to be on point when it comes to keeping him out, because if he gets inside the castle walls your entire village is getting burned to the ground, so to speak.
Edit: Wait, I just noticed your comments on Ganon's throws. Since when is U-throw -> Uair an actual combo and not just a juggle? Also D-throw -> Fair only ever works if your opponent DIs in, so it's limited to scenarios when you're near the ledge. Ganon only really can ever get D-throw->iDA at 0% or sometimes D-throw ->Dropkick at low-mid %s off throws with any sort of reliability, neither of which is particularly impressive reward from a grab that's very hard to land on a defensive player. You're missing more grabs with Falcon than Ganon because Falcon's faster and therefore a bit harder to control, and because you're using them more often because Falcon's grab game is better. Flame Choke is awesome, but Ganon's regular grab game, while still useful and valuable for a number of reasons, really isn't all that great. All of the combos you listed are non-guaranteed strings. Please lurk the Ganon boards before telling everyone he's high tier.
I said he was viable, I didn't say he was high tier. He's not a low tier, but mid tier is the best he can get.

And I've played more matches recently, and I have to say that D-Throw > F-Air works if it's a DJ F-Air, regardless of any DI. His range with said attack is quite long and will hit you if he does it that way, but mainly from 0% damage will it string properly. And for the U-Throw > U-Air, there are certain characters, like heavyweights and fast fallers, that will be combo'd into that move.

There's a lot of combos that Ganondorf has in his arsenal, just have to find them.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
More thoughts about Zelda: she's one of those characters that demands an
intimate understanding of your opponent to succeed. As mentioned before many of
her moves have poor startup but great cooldown, an attribute that sets her apart from heavies
requiring similar understanding who often have both poor startup AND recovery on their smashes.
This, coupled with her lacking movement makes her poor at mounting offenses, but it makes her great
at stopping or punishing them, provided you can anticipate the angle they'll come at. Unlike heavies,
if Zelda throws out her smashes while her opponent is at arm's reach she isn't likely to be punished,
but if she starts them too late she'll get hit, so anticipation is key.

Phantom epitomizes this, stopping almost any ground assault with proper timing but easily
bypassed if the Zelda is too slow to fire. Nayru's is a sort of fail-safe that can beat any angle
with good timing but doesn't damage too much in return. Farore's extends this anticipation to projectile
users. And Hylia help you if you get read in the air against her.

This kind of playstyle is, of course, VERY far from reliable in a tournament setting,
but as a secondary, she can be potentially devastating if the player is good at memorizing
player habits.
This is why I don't like Zelda's design as a fighter. She's extremely defensive and reactive but without the tools to force approaches. She is also almost completely devoid of tools to approach with. Sure, she can demolish people with good reads between her aerials barring NAir, DTilt setups, Farore's Wind, and Nayru's Love. She has the tools to not be camped by projectiles but they kind of fall flat against characters with fast movement and attack speed. And if she's ever not in the lead, it's very possible for the opponent to lame her out. It's not something I would do (it's just not how I play) but it's a very viable strategy against her.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
i bring this up every time. Bowser is disgusting with customs.
Link's also very nasty with Customs; he pretty much has the HOO-HAW when it comes to using Power Bow and Shocking Spin.
As well, another character who is gruesome with customs is Fox. Don't use the giant tree against him, it's a guaranteed 1-hit-KO if he has Amplifying Reflector. If he uses that, make sure you don't have a projectile, and if you do, just don't have a heavy damage one.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Honestly I think a large portion of the cast becomes a lot scarier with customs. Palutena has Super Speed, Greninja has Shifting Shuriken, Link has the Power Bow, Kirby has Upper Cutter and Jumping Inhale, WFT has Jumbo Hoop, etc.

Having customs on does make the characters a bit more balanced though, since the ones that don't perform as well as the high tiers are given better options, while those in the higher tiers can also benefit, if less so.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I used to be a Swordfighter main, trust me they suck :/
Backsliding already? Disgusting.

Mii Swordfighter feels at least a tier below both gunner and brawler. Maybe Miis are all underrated as a group but I think most people who are skeptical that Swordfighter can accomplish anything aren't just assuming that miis are terrible and the swordfighter is slightly worse than the other two.
He isn't as strong as the other two. Am I an ass though if I feel Sword fighter has better MU's then WFT?
Im thinking of 4 characters right now (not including mac) where if I cape or D-air (and his D-air is akin to Pikachu's) those characters are dead and it's not a hard confirm. Unlike certain other edge-guards.

If I have 2 main qualms it's flipping his Jab/n-air start-up, and you can barely link anything with Default size.

Last edited:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Semi bold claim:
I think Yoshi is the gatekeeper between high tier and mid tier. I think he is overrated and at high level he barely make high tier.

Yoshi seems good on paper but once he face every high tier, he has a hard time catching up to speed/combo. Yoshi seems good in the fox/luigi etc matchup but I think once people learn the MU better that they will become 50-50 at worst. Yoshi is kept high tier purely on the amount of damage his moves do and a versatile egg game. Hes being kept from being higher because he isnt safe on shield and has trouble against most high tier characters. He's predictable and only has a good nair that prevent untrue combo from killimg him faster.

His under representation in tournament is a sign in my opinion and even the best yoshi players on the yoshi board have a hard time defending him (Slush being a really good yoshi that is in this thread saying yoshi is bad :p)

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Semi bold claim:
I think Yoshi is the gatekeeper between high tier and mid tier. I think he is overrated and at high level he barely make high tier.

Yoshi seems good on paper but once he face every high tier, he has a hard time catching up to speed/combo. Yoshi seems good in the fox/luigi etc matchup but I think once people learn the MU better that they will become 50-50 at worst. Yoshi is kept high tier purely on the amount of damage his moves do and a versatile egg game. Hes being kept from being higher because he isnt safe on shield and has trouble against most high tier characters. He's predictable and only has a good nair that prevent untrue combo from killimg him faster.

His under representation in tournament is a sign in my opinion and even the best yoshi players on the yoshi board have a hard time defending him (Slush being a really good yoshi that is in this thread saying yoshi is bad :p)
This is not even semi bold bruh

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Hopefully a Short/Thin 1122 :4miibrawl: will come along to show people what's up. I'm really getting tired of people thinking that he's only good because of the stupid Piston Punch fixed knockback exploit, even though everyone uses HK instead and that exploit was only even remotely viable on Yoshi's Island.

Maybe because you said "horse play."

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Backsliding already? Disgusting.

He isn't as strong as the other two. Am I an *** though if I feel Sword fighter has better MU's then WFT?
Im thinking of 4 characters right now (not including mac) where if I cape or D-air (and his D-air is akin to Pikachu's) those characters are dead and it's not a hard confirm. Unlike certain other edge-guards.

If I have 2 main qualms it's flipping his Jab/n-air start-up, and you can barely link anything with Default size.
WFT may be totally worse, the bottom 5 are a gray area. I just think Swordfighter's a contender

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Considering that most people consider him either top 5 or top 10 and that Top and high tier have probably around 15-18 characters...
i can tell you with confidence not many people in this thread at least dont't consider him top 5 top10 i can kinda see. but i personally put him in top 15

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
i can tell you with confidence not many people in this thread at least dont't consider him top 5 top10 i can kinda see. but i personally put him in top 15
IF we look at the like 5 tier list posted that werent completely crap, most people put him at top 5-10 and nobody was arguing about it but whatever. I think its semi bold you dont whatever I dont care really lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom