• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Yoshi has issues with characters that can swat him for staying in the air. (Think low to the ground characters with fast found speed and a good fair, so like Diddy, Sheik, ect.) and with those 2 being so common in the meta, it's actually a huge pain for Yoshi players.

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
As for Shulk, Jerm (top 10 anthers ladder) is an upcoming player and Ally play him as well.

For Yoshi, people who perfect shield the eggs and dash fast are really hard for Yoshi. Sheik, Diddy and Captain falcon come to mind. Sheik is by far his worst MU.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I almost never post, and because of this I can't post a link right now, but I just watched a video of Diddy chaining up airs off footstool against Bowser, Charizard, and D.K.

The video is titled: Diddy Uair Too Stronk. Uploader is James Doob. Could someone post this up? Seems like something to look into.
There's a thread on this on this forum. It's ultimately not a very significant technique, not unlike Little Mac's footstool-nair shenanigans.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Fair isn't safe on shield either, none of his aerials are.

As for any top Yoshi's there's not really any except highish mid level Yoshi's like maybe Slice raptor me etc.
I don't actively search for japan results but going to shi gaming and watching Yoshi lose to every character they go up against is saddening and makes me wonder why people think he's top 10. (one of the Japan Yoshi losses being Samus vs Yoshi of all things)

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I don't use the dino but he seems like a character that does really well at low to mid levels of play but isn't quite as good at the top because he doesn't really have anything that's absolutely dominating (except maybe his air speed). He's just an all-around solid character.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Even air speed can't help against the faster meta picks that can destroy him if he stays in the air (diddy sheik falcon fox etc.)
I would gladly trade a bit of my air mobility for faster falling speed.

Or rip out Ike's muscles and regain the weight he stole from us.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

As for any top Yoshi's there's not really any except highish mid level Yoshi's like maybe Slice raptor me etc.
I don't actively search for japan results but going to shi gaming and watching Yoshi lose to every character they go up against is saddening and makes me wonder why people think he's top 10. (one of the Japan Yoshi losses being Samus vs Yoshi of all things)
Captain Falcons tend to lose a lot as well, but they win as well. The Capt. is beginning to make me think he's an all or nothing fighter.

Falco loses to everyone, but ironically, whenever I see Keitaro use him against Diddy, it always feels like Falco has less trouble for some reason then some other characters. I think it might have to do with a combination of frame data, the ability to go deep off-stage, a good footsie game, damage, and knockback for a lightweight like him along with Keitaro knowing what Diddy can do. Oh, and MU unfamiliarity; I bet people here can count with one hand how many Falcos they have seen and fought. It's sad since Keitaro can be doing just fine with Falco and win or lose, Keitaro usually switches to Diddy to clear the set.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223

The thing I've noticed about Yoshi's aerials is that while they have significant landing lag, his air speed allows Yoshi to quickly pull away in the opposite direction or to cross up the opponent. Is this ineffective against characters like Sheik?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Does Fox really destroy him in the air? Pretty sure Yoshi outranges him in most aspects and NAir is (or seems to me to be) a pretty good defensive tool. Then again I don't have the highest opinion of Fox.

I think the ground game is being underrated for a lot of characters and that it's more viable to remain on the ground in neutral than it's ever been.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Does Fox really destroy him in the air? Pretty sure Yoshi outranges him in most aspects and NAir is (or seems to me to be) a pretty good defensive tool. Then again I don't have the highest opinion of Fox.

I think the ground game is being underrated for a lot of characters and that it's more viable to remain on the ground in neutral than it's ever been.
I mean I played horribly but you can see how fox can run circles around a Yoshi if he doesn't throw out his hitboxes before fox does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXxlhDgTNnw#t=4m24s

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Even air speed can't help against the faster meta picks that can destroy him if he stays in the air (diddy sheik falcon fox etc.)
I would gladly trade a bit of my air mobility for faster falling speed.

Or rip out Ike's muscles and regain the weight he stole from us.
Wanna trade? Yoshi can have Falco's fall speed and Falco can have his air speed. :p

Funny how Falco is considered to have one of the better ground games in SSB4. Personally, I prefer the air, indeed.

Steam

Smash Hero
As a side note, made a tier list today, thoughts?

I'm curious as to why peach is so high.

I also am 400% sure lucina is not the 2nd worst character in the game, she's certainly not that many tiers below marth.

I also think lucario is better than you placed him. His representation is kinda pathetic (I failed at apex :( ) but the character has quite a bit going for him and has loads of decent options and lots of ways to surprise people. He also has winning matchup against sheik (IMO) which is HUGE towards his viability. And after playing the matchup more I don't believe matchups like fox or ness are so bad that they gatekeeper him from being a good character. In many situations lucario benefits from high rewards whether it be low% combos at no aura or kills at 40 at high aura, and he can easily leverage that into wins with an optimized playstyle. No lucario players have really done it yet, but we've uncovered the tools. I don't think he's top 10 or anything, but there's no way he's worse than 30 characters in this game.

edit: I totally forgot to mention that they gave him melee marth's grab hitbox. Lucario can make almost any low% punish happen and convert it into nice damage until rather high% with uthrow > fair > profit or Uthrow > Uair

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Maaaaaan, Sonic is sooooooo good. I overlooked this guy because his campy style seemed annoying, but 6wx's aggression made me curious, and I've been labbing with him a bunch. He's excellent. Only word for it. Have I been leaving him out of my top 3 all this time? Shame on me. Easily top 3. Which makes me believe that Diddy is not really top 3 in my list any more, which is hilarious when I compare mine to all of yours.

Practice > lab > theorycraft in determining character strength, however, so time will tell. There's a lot to love here, though. Live and learn

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman

I've been saying I feel wario is better than yoshi for Awhile. Warios air mobility allows him to play safe with fairs and retreating nairs. I also feel like bite makes rushdown characters think twice about just going in and it eats projectiles. Also I've noticed I struggle to kill with yoshi but landing s waft ftilt upsmash(OOS) and bair are much easier with wario to kill.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It really doesn't matter if Yoshi has multiple kill moves, he fishes incredibly hard for them so he almost never gets them. When he does eventually get it he most likely has taken too much % or even lost the stock attempting many times.

It'd be nice if he had grab/throw setups. It's almost embarrassing to say but I've gotten more neutral B kills than I have Uair or fsmash the past few weeks in both friendlies and tournaments.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh. My post got deleted? Thanks. I mean it, I done goofed. More serious inbound.

Maaaaaan, Sonic is sooooooo good. I overlooked this guy because his campy style seemed annoying, but 6wx's aggression made me curious, and I've been labbing with him a bunch. He's excellent. Only word for it. Have I been leaving him out of my top 3 all this time? Shame on me. Easily top 3. Which makes me believe that Diddy is not really top 3 in my list any more, which is hilarious when I compare mine to all of yours.

Practice > lab > theorycraft in determining character strength, however, so time will tell. There's a lot to love here, though. Live and learn
Anyways, I still feel that campy Sonic is still stronger. It's such a hassle to try and get to him whenever he resets the situation like he normally does. I feel like aggro Sonic is just opening up the door to get punished hard for overcommitting.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
So I was stuck in an airport post apex about 2-days ago and decided to try to bring together a tier list to fulfill some boredom, we got about half to two thirds through it and I just finished it up. This is assuming apex ruleset, which means that the miis are shafted.

S+: :4diddy:
S-: :4sheik:

A+: :4sonic::rosalina::4luigi::4zss::4pikachu:
A-: :4ness::4yoshi::4olimar::4fox::4falcon:

(ordering less important)
B+: :4mario::4megaman::4peach::4wario2::4pit::4darkpit::4rob::4pacman::4villager::4shulk:
B-: :4metaknight::4duckhunt::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4link::4dk::4bowser::4tlink::4myfriends::4lucario::4robinm:

(ordering not important)
C: :4falco::4ganondorf::4charizard::4dedede::4littlemac::4gaw::4marth::4miigun:

D: :4samus::4bowserjr::4drmario::4kirby::4lucina::4miibrawl::4miisword::4palutena::4wiifit::4zelda:

Diddy is domination. Maybe not in results yet, but in terms of the amount of Diddy Kongs at Apex? It was kinda crazy. The best players were going to get high or knock each other out no matter what (as a post I said earlier, things like reaction speed and skill are more important than character selection), this goes to show this character isn't subverting large skill gaps and many characters seem to be competitive towards the top within the S/A tiers. I rate diddy as just that degree better than Sheik, his vastly dominant neutral + reward game skews match ups heavily in his favour, forward air and down tilt out space just about everyone and everything and we all know about down throw and up throw follow ups. We'll see how things go as time goes on, but there seems to be a small push towards ousting the Monkey in some places. I think the community is praying for Mewtwo to come early. Among other things I feel rage favours diddy heavily, especially more than Sheik and many of his compatriots, the safety gained on shield is ludicrous and we all know about his kill power and combo potential. Two stocks emphasises rage-sweeps and hence this also helps Diddy perform (imo; but I'm not going to vehemently debate it). Customs and more stages may also help against current Diddy.

Oh Sheik, how scary art though. You have the most options in the cast and excessive room to grow. Everything about Sheik executed at a top level is amazing and new things are discovered (and shown) at every event. We have frame data already to tell us what this character can do, and weaknesses are really hard to find with her 4 frame back air and various combos/frame traps for bouncing fish and vanish. The only reason we can see this character not being above Diddy is the consistency of the rewards Diddy can accomplish against the current Sheiks when she can only afford to make 1/5th of the mistakes as Diddy. With what is considered a guaranteed "diddy nerf", Sheik may take the cake in the long run, but IMO it will probably be a good meta, there is room to out play current Sheik with a multitude of characters, something I don't really see in Diddy's case. However, not to deny the reality, but Sheik doesn't lose any match up.

Okay I guess my original pre-US day feels have come back to me with Sonic as third, but I feel the characters in this tier are extremely close. Rosalina is a match up dominatrix much like you'd expect some niche characters but without the weaknesses/exploits required to actually have troubling match ups. Luigi is becoming a very common threat, boasting what could be great match ups with both Sheik and Diddy, people call this character stupid and I'll happily admit he is; the grab game, neutral, competent recovery and general mobility allow Luigi to compete with every character no matter what but we're yet to see if the range and aerial mobility weakness will be exploited successfully in the future. ZSS has everything, love you baby~ She doesn't have an infallible game plan though and mistakes in recovery or in getting the kill can be costly and hard to come back from, but that Up-B though! (pray it won't get nerfed). Pikachu may be out of luck with their best player retiring (FOR NOW, kukuku, you'll be back ESAM) but I've yet to see anyone within the high level competitive player base that disagrees with how strong he is, I would probably be considered underrating Pika with this position, but rereadparagraphopeningsentence; this character may be in trouble in the long run though, with an already complicated Sheik match up looming and Diddy continuing to develop while Pika seemingly stalls although most can agree the strengths are there for him to be a true Diddy threat.
Ness, Yoshi, Olimar, Fox and Facon; practically all characters I believe are capable of dominating but seem significantly harder to be consistent with across all match ups, likely a noticeable weakness limiting them. Ness being less mobile, Yoshi is janky and suffers against shields and strong camping, Olimar has a lot fairer neutral now than in Brawl primarily because he has a much less dominating grab but could still prove ever more potent, Fox struggles without a strong grab game and light weight features for a melee range character, Falcon can be destroyed but destroys everything back and I hope he continues to show us his moves and remain a viable competitive choice (if you're wondering why: Dash grab is godlike).

Characters in B+ feel much like the upper mid tier (or lower high tiers) of Brawl that were Toon Link, Fox, Lucario and co. They make splashes, but they aren't consistent. In reality it's a mid tier but the group comprising that power level has vastly expanded which is pretty amazing. Reliable secondary usage or main usage with usually great local/regional results, competitive in various match ups against high/top tiers for sure. B- has some controversial choices I'm sure, but I feel like most are either tried and tested (and definitely good but not top/high tier) or are given some current benefit of the doubt (the Links, Jiggs). Greninja is also in a gray area where I'm not entirely sure yet.

C is what I would describe as the extra niche tier. I don't doubt that everyone of these characters are capable of doing well in tournaments in specific match ups. I feel however a lot of their abilities are weakened by strong camping playstyles or in finding the kill which no matter how "hype" the results or matches are that we see them win it, I tend to not rate them as consistently able to achieve this at all. Like I mentioned in B, the power level of this grouping feels much closer to what mid tiers were like in Brawl, which to me is quite crazy how small it really is.

I'm just going to go and say that there is some cop outs here in my mind, characters which I feel are just too underrated/seen by some to really place any higher although I don't really feel they're worthless or unviable. Mii fighters are carrying under the assumption of 1111 and I really don't feel they are able to compete within that environment. I'd otherwise be confident in stating that all these characters deserve to be buffed (the exception being miis/palutena) without there being too much worry of a new overwhelming force. In some ways, I could've done C+ and have had D as C- but I do feel like the distinction is there that didn't feel as pronounced in my S/A/B. If it makes you feel that much better you could consider it as such, I wouldn't be adamant against it.

Anyway among other things, perhaps it's time to look into doing a few "official" steps towards a tier list, if anything the prelude to that would be proper character discussions (like early Brawl) for every character pushed at a hyper pace and then followed by some sort of "THING". I'm all ears for any ideas/insight on the whole prelude chapter, how THINGs go can be variously different.

Last edited:

Steam

Smash Hero
Lucario was overrated at first but I seriously think you're sleeping on him. he doesn't get dumpstered by anyone nearly hard enough to be on a tier with DK. Duck hunt is a surprise to me too given his strong performance at apex, though some characters give him an extremely hard time.

CaveLemon

Smash Rookie
That actually looks pretty spot on to how I'd imagine it.

I'd knock Luigi, Falcon, and Olimar down a row respectively, but I really don't see any obvious "eh's" that other lists have.

Just noticed you're missing Meta Knight though.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze

While criticizing "Pikachu for S tier" hype a long time ago I was saying Sonic is really the only character I could see being Diddy/Sheik level good, Pikachu being only next in line.

I don't see any reason for shaking Diddy off of #1 spot let alone top 3 though. The fact that he may not be the most dominant character in a year doesn't change how he's right now.

That said, judging by the current metagame Pikachu hasn't shown enough to place that high. Shaya's list looks pretty well thought-out however, especially with Apex taken into account.

On a more personal note, if ZeRo starts using Falcon I wouldn't be surprised to see people rating him close to top 5. A lot of characters are lacking proper representation right now and possess tech that most players aren't utilizing. Regardless, with current knowledge I think he should and will always remain between 10-15.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
@ Shaya Shaya Nowadays everybody posts like they know the metagame; but nothing shows up when the post their lists, just a bunch of jibberish. And mother****ers act like they forgot about MK.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Just fought a Villager in For Glory who camped by the ledge and covered all options. Fair when I approach, dip down to the other side of the stage with up B if I jump down, a tree set up by the ledge, constant lloids. Had no idea how to gain momentum. He could've been playing with his feet but my options were covered. Salty :p

@ Shaya Shaya good tier list. I think we simply need more dedicated players who are willing to lab. There's a lot in this game that people aren't utilizing, and we'll see things mature as the metagame develops and people actually start using the right moves in the right situations, rather than improvising everything and 'feeling it out' against lesser played characters. Eventually players will know how to fight each character with their main, but that's not the case now.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Just fought a Villager in For Glory who camped by the ledge and covered all options. Fair when I approach, dip down to the other side of the stage with up B if I jump down, a tree set up by the ledge, constant lloids. Had no idea how to gain momentum. He could've been playing with his feet but my options were covered. Salty :p
Ledge trump -> aerial. Villagers who do this are free as heck. Depends on your character though.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I've faced those kinds. Ike can approach with fair or nair and jab. Utilt becomes ur best killer. Even with Ganon, those matches aren't as dreadful as some would like to believe.

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
So I was stuck in an airport post apex about 2-days ago and decided to try to bring together a tier list to fulfill some boredom, we got about half to two thirds through it and I just finished it up. This is assuming apex ruleset, which means that the miis are shafted.

S+: :4diddy:
S-: :4sheik:

A+: :4sonic::rosalina::4luigi::4zss::4pikachu:
A-: :4ness::4yoshi::4olimar::4fox::4falcon:

(ordering less important)
B+: :4mario::4megaman::4peach::4wario2::4pit::4darkpit::4rob::4pacman::4villager::4shulk:
B-: :4duckhunt::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4link::4dk::4bowser::4tlink::4myfriends::4lucario::4robinm:

(ordering not important)
C: :4falco::4ganondorf::4charizard::4dedede::4littlemac::4gaw::4marth::4miigun:

D: :4samus::4bowserjr::4drmario::4kirby::4lucina::4miibrawl::4miisword::4palutena::4wiifit::4zelda:

Diddy is domination. Maybe not in results yet, but in terms of the amount of Diddy Kongs at Apex? It was kinda crazy. The best players were going to get high or knock each other out no matter what (as a post I said earlier, things like reaction speed and skill are more important than character selection), this goes to show this character isn't subverting large skill gaps and many characters seem to be competitive towards the top within the S/A tiers. I rate diddy as just that degree better than Sheik, his vastly dominant neutral + reward game skews match ups heavily in his favour, forward air and down tilt out space just about everyone and everything and we all know about down throw and up throw follow ups. We'll see how things go as time goes on, but there seems to be a small push towards ousting the Monkey in some places. I think the community is praying for Mewtwo to come early. Among other things I feel rage favours diddy heavily, especially more than Sheik and many of his compatriots, the safety gained on shield is ludicrous and we all know about his kill power and combo potential. Two stocks emphasises rage-sweeps and hence this also helps Diddy perform (imo; but I'm not going to vehemently debate it). Customs and more stages may also help against current Diddy.

Oh Sheik, how scary art though. You have the most options in the cast and excessive room to grow. Everything about Sheik executed at a top level is amazing and new things are discovered (and shown) at every event. We have frame data already to tell us what this character can do, and weaknesses are really hard to find with her 4 frame back air and various combos/frame traps for bouncing fish and vanish. The only reason we can see this character not being above Diddy is the consistency of the rewards Diddy can accomplish against the current Sheiks when she can only afford to make 1/5th of the mistakes as Diddy. With what is considered a guaranteed "diddy nerf", Sheik may take the cake in the long run, but IMO it will probably be a good meta, there is room to out play current Sheik with a multitude of characters, something I don't really see in Diddy's case. However, not to deny the reality, but Sheik doesn't lose any match up.

Okay I guess my original pre-US day feels have come back to me with Sonic as third, but I feel the characters in this tier are extremely close. Rosalina is a match up dominatrix much like you'd expect some niche characters but without the weaknesses/exploits required to actually have troubling match ups. Luigi is becoming a very common threat, boasting what could be great match ups with both Sheik and Diddy, people call this character stupid and I'll happily admit he is; the grab game, neutral, competent recovery and general mobility allow Luigi to compete with every character no matter what but we're yet to see if the range and aerial mobility weakness will be exploited successfully in the future. ZSS has everything, love you baby~ She doesn't have an infallible game plan though and mistakes in recovery or in getting the kill can be costly and hard to come back from, but that Up-B though! (pray it won't get nerfed). Pikachu may be out of luck with their best player retiring (FOR NOW, kukuku, you'll be back ESAM) but I've yet to see anyone within the high level competitive player base that disagrees with how strong he is, I would probably be considered underrating Pika with this position, but rereadopeningsentence; this character may be in trouble in the long run though, with an already complicated Sheik match up looming and Diddy continuing to develop while Pika seemingly stalls although most can agree the strengths are there for him to be a true Diddy threat.
Ness, Yoshi, Olimar, Fox and Facon; practically all characters I believe are capable of dominating but seem significantly harder to be consistent with across all match ups, likely a noticeable weakness limiting them. Ness being less mobile, Yoshi is janky and suffers against shields and strong camping, Olimar has a lot fairer neutral now than in Brawl primarily because he has a much less dominating grab but could still prove ever more potent, Fox struggles without a strong grab game and light weight features for a melee range character, Falcon can be destroyed but destroys everything back and I hope he continues to show us his moves and remain a viable competitive choice (if you're wondering why: Dash grab is godlike).

Characters in B+ feel much like the upper mid tier (or lower high tiers) of Brawl that were Toon Link, Fox, Lucario and co. They make splashes, but they aren't consistent. In reality it's a mid tier but the group comprising that power level has vastly expanded which is pretty amazing. Reliable secondary usage or main usage with usually great local/regional results, competitive in various match ups against high/top tiers for sure. B- has some controversial choices I'm sure, but I feel like most are either tried and tested (and definitely good but not top/high tier) or are given some current benefit of the doubt (the Links, Jiggs). Greninja is also in a gray area where I'm not entirely sure yet.

C is what I would describe as the extra niche tier. I don't doubt that everyone of these characters are capable of doing well in tournaments in specific match ups. I feel however a lot of their abilities are weakened by strong camping playstyles or in finding the kill which no matter how "hype" the results or matches are that we see them win it, I tend to not rate them as consistently able to achieve this at all. Like I mentioned in B, the power level of this grouping feels much closer to what mid tiers were like in Brawl, which to me is quite crazy how small it really is.

I'm just going to go and say that there is some cop outs here in my mind, characters which I feel are just too underrated/seen by some to really place any higher although I don't really feel they're worthless or unviable. Mii fighters are carrying under the assumption of 1111 and I really don't feel they are able to compete within that environment. I'd otherwise be confident in stating that all these characters deserve to be buffed (the exception being miis/palutena) without there being too much worry of a new overwhelming force. In some ways, I could've done C+ and have had D as C- but I do feel like the distinction is there that didn't feel as pronounced in my S/A/B. If it makes you feel that much better you could consider it as such, I wouldn't be adamant against it.

Anyway among other things, perhaps it's time to look into doing a few "official" steps towards a tier list, if anything the prelude to that would be proper character discussions (like early Brawl) for every character pushed at a hyper pace and then followed by some sort of "THING". I'm all ears for any ideas/insight on the whole prelude chapter, how THINGs go can be variously different.
It's a very nice tier list, and the best one I've seen so far. There are obviously a few characters that I disagree with, but the groups as a whole are pretty wonderful.

S tier is what the meta is dominated by, and what it revolves around. Sheik and Diddy are just so incredibly popular, and a small cut above the rest, for now anyways.

The A tiers shape up the rest of the tournament landscape, and who most players will actually end up using outside of Diddy and Sheik. All of these characters are clearly tourney viable.

B tier seems like the tier of untapped potential to me. All of these characters are very useable at a local or regoinal level, but their ability to perform at nationals is definitely dubious. I feel like some characters in these tiers are pretty set to stay here, Ike, ROB, Pit, Bowser, DK. But a lot of these other characters seem to be placed here because we haven't seen enough tournament performance to realy judge them. I think Villager, Peach, Shulk, Mega Man, and Greninja all have potential to join the A tiers. Tbh I feel like Mega Man is already in the high tiers, but it seems that the general opinion of him isn't that high yet.

C and D tiers are all the bad characters. They might have some aspects going for them, but you're not going to perform well with them unless you're vastly superior to your opponent. I can't imagine however to see in a couple years which character or characters will have escaped this tier and shot up into the mid tiers or borderline tier. I can't imagine any of these characters moving to high up with out customs legal, but it's bound to happen to some of them.

I think this tier list is a good representation of the tournament meta we inhabit right now.

When making the tier lists, having a thread to discuss each character would be nice. Important things to consider like strengths, weaknesses, best high tier matchups, and worst high tier matchups would all be focal points for the thread. I also think it's important to highlight the unique aspect that that specific character brings to the roster. What can that character do that no one else can? As for who posts in these threads? You can have just top players and knowledgeable people have these discussions in a back room situation. Or these kinds of threads can be posted at each specific character board. The problem with having exclusive discussions is that this early in the meta game, most players don't have that much knowledge on the whole roster to really have decent discussions on them. To contrast with that, the skill level and level of understanding among the people who post in the character boards are dubious. One method is more likely to guarantee quality, while the other is more likely to guarantee quantity. It'd probably be best to do both. I would let the character boards have a stab at it first. Give them the opportunity to analyse and summarize their character. Then the back room could use these threads to learn information about characters they don't know as well, and use these discussions as a starting point for their discussions, whether that be tearing down everything the character boards said or just building off the information already presented.

Plus it'd be important to get a decent collection of tournament results of all the largest smash 4 tournaments that have happened thus far. That shouldn't be too hard with the smashboards rankings.

Perhaps the first tier list should be made after EVO. That'll be our second national ish sized event. There shouldn't be too much of a rush to create the first official tier list. The game hasn't been out long, and the first tier list especially would be very impressionable on new players and mid level players alike.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
A lot of characters are lacking proper representation right now and possess tech that most players aren't utilizing. Regardless, with current knowledge I think he should and will always remain between 10-15.
The bolded part is what I hope makes things interesting. For example, I've basically never seen Link in a tourney (the ones that did were using him as secondaries and I didn't really feel had a complete grasp of him yet), but in the right hands (like Izaw) he can be pretty impressive imo (mainly b/c of Izaw's money match).

Conda

Ledge trump -> aerial. Villagers who do this are free as heck. Depends on your character though.
He just dipped down and went to the other ledge. He also timed his get up a lot of the time to combat any attempt at getting him. And when I did get him, he'd reset to neutral and more time would pass.
Who were you playing as?
Also For glory.
Played as Marth, Dk, Samus, and Fox. Tried different archetypes to see if one gave me an obvious edge, but nope. Tree + fair to stop any approaches + up B to travel to other side + lloid + pocket made him impervious. I took some stocks, won a couple matches, but overall he knew that if I approached I'd get punished, simply put. It felt like some matchups in Brawl, but worse. :p

I'm curious about actual dependable ways to combat this, not 'go on the ledge and bair' because that's an obvious decision that can easily be reacted to by Villager. I'd like to be able to spread help to other players, but I have to figure it out first.

I understand fully Villager and how he is played competitively at tournaments, but when played in a For Glory campfest-style, I'm not as confident in my knowledge on how to counter it.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
The bolded part is what I hope makes things interesting. For example, I've basically never seen Link in a tourney (the ones that did were using him as secondaries and I didn't really feel had a complete grasp of him yet), but in the right hands (like Izaw) he can be pretty impressive imo (mainly b/c of Izaw's money match).
Honestly, Haze was playing pretty bad in that set, and this is from the perspective of a mid level player. It's easy to look great versus opponents who either have less experience or aren't trying their best.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
He just dipped down and went to the other ledge. He also timed his get up a lot of the time to combat any attempt at getting him. And when I did get him, he'd reset to neutral and more time would pass.

Played as Marth, Dk, Samus, and Fox. Tried different archetypes to see if one gave me an obvious edge, but nope. Tree + fair to stop any approaches + up B to travel to other side + lloid + pocket made him impervious. I took some stocks, won a couple matches, but overall he knew that if I approached I'd get punished, simply put. It felt like some matchups in Brawl, but worse. :p

I'm curious about actual dependable ways to combat this, not 'go on the ledge and bair' because that's an obvious decision that can easily be reacted to by Villager. I'd like to be able to spread help to other players, but I have to figure it out first.

I understand fully Villager and how he is played competitively at tournaments, but when played in a For Glory campfest-style, I'm not as confident in my knowledge on how to counter it.
You need a character with strong lockdown properties in the air, while having decent range for yourself. Ike has that.

NairWizard

Somewhere

Ledge trump gives you frame advantage, and it's not really reactable at all. You can go straight from the stage to the ledge. Roll behind your opponent on the getup. He can't do much against that, and then you can drop down and get the ledge if he regrabs it.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Haze was playing pretty bad in that set, and this is from the perspective of a mid level player. It's easy to look great versus opponents who either have less experience or aren't trying their best.
That's very possible (I assume Izaw was having a good day at the very least), but I still felt like this was a 50/50 matchup depending on the stage. On a stage like Battlefield, platforms really help Link. Flat stages on the other hand are Falcon's forte as far as I can tell.

Conda

Ledge trump gives you frame advantage, and it's not really reactable at all. You can go straight from the stage to the ledge. Roll behind your opponent on the getup. He can't do much against that, and then you can drop down and get the ledge if he regrabs it.
I did that a bunch, I knew it'd work. Problem is he knew it was coming and reacted accordingly. It's easy to do so when you only leave your opponent with one option. He either used fair, lloyd, or just left the ledge, dipping down to return later or to go to the other ledge.

And when I did land it, that's all it was - a bair. The match continues for another 6 minutes and I stomach it. I left eventually, but the idea of not being able to easily counter such an easy-to-play playstyle bothers me, and I want to get over that hump.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I did that a bunch, I knew it'd work. Problem is he knew it was coming and reacted accordingly. It's easy to do so when you only leave your opponent with one option. He either used fair, lloyd, or just left the ledge, dipping down to return later or to go to the other ledge.

And when I did land it, that's all it was - a bair. The match continues for another 6 minutes and I stomach it. I left eventually, but the idea of not being able to easily counter such an easy-to-play playstyle bothers me, and I want to get over that hump.
Gotta Super Armour that **** maaaannn

Conda

Gotta Super Armour that **** maaaannn
I'm actually curious about actual advice to give players. This is an easy playstyle to perform as Villager, so countering it should be easy yet I couldn't find that to be the case.

I know there must be something I was missing, but the recommendations from you guys that players need to change characters and counterpick is worrisome. All it is is basic all-bases-covered camping, I doubt it's actually dominant enough to require specific tools. But that is definitely my current impression, which I'm looking to change via insight and knowledge.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Whoops, Meta-Fixed.

Meta Knight's a boss.
Secretly the best ****ing character in the game still, holy ****.

I think he's higher than I placed him (B-), but eh, I only feel like he's going to go up.
You're definitely rewarded for precision with this character, and he comes with the mobility specs and ground tools (dash attack/grab, rolls) to compete with all of the best.
Tyrant probably has the best MK in the world, on numerous occasions he's pushed ZeRo a lot further with the bat than his monkey-rat.
Dimension Cape makes me moist.
I want to see perfect MK; because it has everything you've ever wanted. Combos and juggles that won't end until death every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom