• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Just a question. Does sonic have to commit to anything during spin dash? Olimar is so good in this game I think he should be up in at least the top 50 percentage.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Sonic is so stupid. I actually want him to be nerfed more than Diddy. How do you even fight him if you're playing a slow character, or if you're playing him online?
From experience with Ike vs Sonic (back to back in tournament)

Patiently, intelligently but perfectly winnable. Helps that Ike has a great combo game, but I feel its right around even, can probably argue all day about who has the slight edge. Really, its won at the mental level, not the character level for these two. Who can out endure the other. Not fun to due twice in a row, but feels great if you pull it off.

Sonic can cancel things all he wants, he's still going to have trouble getting past a giant wall of auto-canceling disjoints.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Sonic is so stupid. I actually want him to be nerfed more than Diddy. How do you even fight him if you're playing a slow character, or if you're playing him online?
In comparison, it's not so different from Marth in Brawl. If you didn't have a reliable answer against F-air, D-tilt, and DB then you usually lost very hard to him. Sonic is probably the lesser case though.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Interesting, I wonder if that was updated. I'm pretty sure bowser was here at one point.
Yeah, I think he was mentioned in the original version. Still a dumb rule, but if Bowser isn't counted then it's less dumb.

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
In comparison, it's not so different from Marth in Brawl. If you didn't have a reliable answer against F-air, D-tilt, and DB then you usually lost very hard to him. Sonic is probably the lesser case though.
I was just telling my brother that word for word. This also fits right in with what I was saying before about swordsmen not being around so close range fighters with low ground speed get more time to shine.

The gatekeeper is different but the doors are still only open to the select few.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Over in Japan, Manzoku plays Toon Link and aMSa plays Greninja. I'll drop some vids here:

:4tlink: Manzoku vs selcia :4sheik:
:4tlink: Manzoku vs ikep :rosalina:

:4greninja: aMSa vs Watamo :4luigi:
:4greninja: aMSa vs tk3 :4metaknight:
Awesome matches, thanks. Amsa is really awesome, plays greninja in a way you cannot play any other character - this is how he's supposed to be handled.

Good Toon Link play too, but he still seems fairly limited and doesn't have enough in his toolkit to let him do anything surprising - if you hit your opponent with a bomb or boomerang, then you can get a combo off and at high %, a kill move. Other than that, Toon Link doesn't have any other dimensions to his design, it doesn't seem.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Thanks for this. Looking at it now, it's looking like Sonic is becoming the Gatekeeper for tournaments. According to the Falcon mains in my area, Sonic hard counters Falcon as well. So I'm wondering how polarizing Sonic's MUs are.
They must be throwing the term out pretty lightly. Pikachu is the only one who might currently be a hard counter to Falcon and that's the result of Pikachu being able to avoid some of Falcon's best moves, grab and jab, during most of his animations and having an amazing gimping game on Falcon's poor recovery.

What does Sonic have against Falcon according to these players you're referring to? All I can think of is Falcon lacking a projectile or a sword, but then does Sonic hard counter everyone who fits that description? Falcon is at least the closest character to Sonic's sanicspeed and has easily the best power/speed ratio in the game, killing Sonic earlier than Sonic killing him and not having much trouble with punishing Sonic.

RWB

Smash Ace
I know my Marth is pretty damn bad, and that he is worse this time around, but damn if his Tippered F-Smash doesn't rock my socks off in this game.
In the videos below, I'm playing against a Ganondorf that beat me solidly when I played with any other character(to be fair, these were probably his two worst matches, since I played rather badly with Marth).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuEoYrAuja4

and http://youtu.be/FmT52jA_eSo?t=1m45s

On a side note, is anyone else expecting Mii Gunner 3333 to be a good team battle choice with his Grenade Launch?

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
APEX only allows 1111 builds. DaPuffster actually demanded a refund after being told 2222 and 3333 would be allowed.

Just felt I should mention that.
Blah blah blah. Apex. Bad rules. Blah blah blah.

It's nothing new.

Apex's rules on Custom Miis were really, really dumb. To say the least. As I said before, it's either all or nothing.
I should get you to help me convince Nike of that. I've been waiting for when I can talk to him in person but have been unable to attend last week's weekly and won't be able to make today's either. Here's hoping he shows up to play for the P:M weekly. Maybe you could talk to him about Miis for me today though. I wanna use Gunner so much but not in that limited fashion.

I really hate how Miis are being handled in so many places (even in my own region). ;-;

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
They must be throwing the term out pretty lightly. Pikachu is the only one who might currently be a hard counter to Falcon and that's the result of Pikachu being able to avoid some of Falcon's best moves, grab and jab, during most of his animations and having an amazing gimping game on Falcon's poor recovery.

What does Sonic have against Falcon according to these players you're referring to? All I can think of is Falcon lacking a projectile or a sword, but then does Sonic hard counter everyone who fits that description? Falcon is at least the closest character to Sonic's sanicspeed and has easily the best power/speed ratio in the game, killing Sonic earlier than Sonic killing him and not having much trouble with punishing Sonic.
According to word of mouth, Sonic punishes anything Falcon does and he has no solid answer against his speed. Sonic can juggle him for days and gimping him isn't difficult for Sonic either.

Honestly, this probably because my local scene has Espy, who is probably still the best Sonic in the US, and he uses Spin Dash wildly different than what I see on stream.

EDIT: And I should note he makes Sonic look really fun to play too.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Blah blah blah. Apex. Bad rules. Blah blah blah.

It's nothing new.
He was just saying that 2222 and 3333 is probably not going to be a thing cuz apex were the ones to invent that and now they don't support it (Still a shame we can't see @Jigglymaster shreking it with Brawler.)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Here's my top 20 characters

Shiek diddy sonic pikachu ZSS Rosalina

Ness Fox Falcon Yoshi Luigi Megaman

Olimar Rob Metaknight peach Jigglypuff mario

Villager G&W

Sorry for the janky format but I meant it that way. I think there's 6 characters that are a cut above the rest. Um it's not really ordered but kinda sorta. Not really based on results but matches I've seen and future potential.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Here's my top 20 characters

Shiek diddy sonic pikachu ZSS Rosalina

Ness Fox Falcon Yoshi Luigi Megaman

Olimar Rob Metaknight peach Jigglypuff mario

Villager G&W

Sorry for the janky format but I meant it that way. I think there's 6 characters that are a cut above the rest. Um it's not really ordered but kinda sorta. Not really based on results but matches I've seen and future potential.
Aw, that's nice. You think my mains are around top 20! You didn't have to place them there for me. Embarrass

Villager might belong there but I don't think Game & Watch does. Mega Man looks about right though.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Aw, that's nice. You think my mains are around top 20! You didn't have to place them there for me. Embarrass

Villager might belong there but I don't think Game & Watch does. Mega Man looks about right though.
I think g&w is pretty good it was either him or pit and felt the dthrow shenanigans give him something that pit was lacking.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I frankly don't see Wario being anywhere below top 20. He's solid enough to reliably go up against most (maybe all?) of the top characters in the game.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I frankly don't see Wario being anywhere below top 20. He's solid enough to reliably go up against most (maybe all?) of the top characters in the game.
Once again, I'm reminded of Mew2King saying that Wario is good. Now, if only more people would play him...

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
As far as I know Wario has no downsides. He's just all-around great.

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
Once again, I'm reminded of Mew2King saying that Wario is good. Now, if only more people would play him...
I'm surprised that there's lack of Wario representation given that the current meta is 2 stock matches. This allows Wario to take full advantage of his early Waft kills and great recovery/weight. Regardless of the nerfs to him from Brawl, the current metagame is incredibly kind to him.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Double Posting Warning Received
Pacman is definitely more viable than G&W. (and about half of the characters on that list, but he isn't top tier) His potential is enormous.
Pacman I think falls a little short of the characters I listed he maybe top 25 or 30. I feel as though you pac man mains have been hyping him about. I'd like to see him vs shiek and diddy. Then there's the Rosalina MU and I can't really justify someone bring top 20 when one character can just invalidatehis game plan.

As far as I know Wario has no downsides. He's just all-around great.
His ground game is leaves a lot to be desired but It's wario. I don't believe he can keep up with any of the top tiers. His game isn't as versatile as it was brawl. He lost too much IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
According to word of mouth, Sonic punishes anything Falcon does and he has no solid answer against his speed. Sonic can juggle him for days and gimping him isn't difficult for Sonic either.

Honestly, this probably because my local scene has Espy, who is probably still the best Sonic in the US, and he uses Spin Dash wildly different than what I see on stream.

EDIT: And I should note he makes Sonic look really fun to play too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilWZAPHyZWE

Falcon has some of the most disgustingly safe options, if sonic can easily punish him, there is no hope for the rest of the cast.

Falcon is waaaay more dangerous to be juggled by.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
On the subject of Wario, I believe he is one of Ganondorf's explicitly favorable matchups.

I wonder if anyone is interested in calling me out on this.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
No more Yoshi for aMSa? Right when everyone is saying he's good?
Maybe aMSa just hates himself.
He doesn't main the same character across games; he's always been a Greninja since sm4sh 3ds, though he does have a pocket Yoshi.

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
Pacman I think falls a little short of the characters I listed he maybe top 25 or 30. I feel as though you pac man mains have been hyping him about. I'd like to see him vs shiek and diddy. Then there's the Rosalina MU and I can't really justify someone bring top 20 when one character can just invalidatehis game plan.
I would have to say the same thing about G&W. People just haven't really put in the work for him, he's really only been used in doubles for bucketing, but I actually think he has a lot of strengths.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
His ground game is leaves a lot to be desired but It's wario. I don't believe he can keep up with any of the top tiers. His game isn't as versatile as it was brawl. He lost too much IMO.
Have you watched Reflex's Wario?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eOfsoz9sZs

Look at the way he utilizes Wario's turnaround cancel. On top of having an amazing roll cancel grab, his options in the ground aren't as limited as you might think.
On the subject of Wario, I believe he is one of Ganondorf's explicitly favorable matchups.

I wonder if anyone is interested in calling me out on this.
OK I'm curious. In what way?

I don't realistically see Ganondorf doing much against Wario's Bite.

Last edited:

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
He doesn't main the same character across games; he's always been a Greninja since sm4sh 3ds, though he does have a pocket Yoshi.
I just thought since he was so good now and could jump out of shield, I remember hearing an interview with him where he was praising Yoshi so I assumed he would be playing him.That was before it had actually came out though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Look at the way he utilizes Wario's turnaround cancel. On top of having amazing roll cancel grab, his options in the ground aren't as you think.

Bite practically shuts down all of Ganondorf's options in the ground.
There is no grab armor in this game, and Ganondorf outranges Wario pretty significantly both on the ground and in the air, meaning most of the time, Ganondorf doesn't have much trouble just trading hits favorably with Bite. To make things worse for Wario, Ganondorf actually has very good lingering hitboxes in his N-air making it really hard for Wario to directly approach Ganon conventionally. The one situation where Bite is really strong is for edgetrapping, but that alone is not a big enough advantage to really shut down Ganondorf.

Wario's only really consistent way to directly beat Ganon's spacing is with Bike, however this is not exactly safe on block when Ganondorf can often U-air out of shield against this if he's fast. Alternatively Ganondorf half the time can stuff Bike by just being in range to N-air.

Combine that Ganondorf has the usual Flame Choke followups on Wario, and that Wario actually has a much harder time getting back to the ground against Ganondorf in this game due to airdodge nerfs, I believe Ganondorf wins this matchup 55/45. It would be much further in Ganon's favor if he was not also easily juggled.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

Look at the way he utilizes Wario's turnaround cancel. On top of having an amazing roll cancel grab, his options in the ground aren't as limited as you might think.

I don't realistically see Ganondorf doing much against Wario's Bite.
Yeah I've seen reflex and I've seen gluttony also and some japanese Warios. I haven't seen anything that makes me think Wario's a good character now.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Pacman I think falls a little short of the characters I listed he maybe top 25 or 30. I feel as though you pac man mains have been hyping him about. I'd like to see him vs shiek and diddy.
Abadango already stomped keitaro's diddy today. Koolaid also destroyed a diddy in finals:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aLUCqjpk7_M

Hyping him up? If anything he's being grossly underestimated. You really need to visit the pacman thread. If anything, you are placing characters like R.O.B. and G&W in top 20 simply because of what they can do in a vacuum. Both lose hard to the top ten. I also think megaman is around the 15-20 mark, but thats another story.

Then there's the Rosalina MU and I can't really justify someone bring top 20 when one character can just invalidatehis game plan.
you say that, and then place villager in top 20, who loses extremely hard to palutena's reflect. Us Pac-Mains are finding ways to combat the matchup against RosaLuma. Hydrant is a great bait for gravitational pull, and the key one shots luma. She also can't use down B in mid range unless she wants to get punished. Our gameplan isn't linear; we are built to adapt with our versatile moveset.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom