• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hmm, I know people don't want drastic changes unless certain things call for it like making Bowser less monstrous, giving Link his iconic Jump Attack, etc., but what if Zelda's Uair swapped with or became her Dair?

Not literally swapped, because it would be weird - imagine doing a Uair and all you see is Zelda upside down meteoring people upwards or doing Dair and having her also upside down blasting magic at people -, but what if Zelda's Dair was the magic thing she does for Uair? It'd be kind of safe, especially if it was faster, since she doesn't physically attack and the move connects on its own - her Uair is essentially a CQC variant of Din's Fire, right? - and even if it wasn't a meteor, the raw knock back and damage from it might be all right. Also, I don't think anyone has a Dair like that, so it'd be a unique move for her.

Her aerial approach is weird. This may be OP, but what if her Fair, Bair, and Dair did a ton of shield damage like Shield Breaker? I remember landing them on shields sometimes and it wouldn't do much. That or make the knockback and/or sour-spot damage more since sour-spotting them puts her in a terrible position in comparison to other characters who have sour-spot moves, but they have other aerials that don't sour-spot. Captain Falcon's Knee for instance, but that's only one sweet-spot/sour-spot move out of his other 4.

I remember some in the Zelda section complaining about Utilt and what it's use is - I haven't used it at all so I can't comment much. At first, I thought it would just be like using Shulk's Utilt, but it looks like a weaker Up Smash that's about the same speed. Dtilt literally makes Zelda look like a Street Fighter character and is a reliable jab since her jab is slow. Side Smash is inconsistent and unreliable while Ftilt is slow even though it should be a good spacer for her which Down Smash has to take over. Can Ftilt kill? It looks like it can kill. Hmm, I should make another trip to the Zelda section.

Optional: Zelda What If? rant.
Personally, I think Zelda shouldn't have appeared until Brawl or even SSB4. Why? It's because she had little to go off of for moves, but even if that applies to everyone else, at least there's basic things like Captain Falcon's a bounty hunter, so let's make him a martial artist, well, that covers pretty much everything, but his Specials. The Villager's not a fighter, but there's iconic items and gameplay from Animal Crossing that can be used.

Three of Zelda's specials were from Ocarina of Time and were never used by her, but whatever. Phantom Slash was Spirit Track's (Toon) Zelda schtick and that would have been a neat move for Toon Zelda. All her other moves were made up and magical in nature. Cool, she's a mage, but it's weird; Zelda feels like a mess of a character. She's powerful, but risky. She's defensive, but slow and risky in comparison to Ganondorf who feels like he has faster, safer, and more versatile options and much more power for good reads. She's somewhat of a zoner, but there are fast zoners who outpace and out-zone her.

When Twilight Princess was shown, Zelda had a rapier. Oh, another sword-wielder. No, she could have been a magic swordswoman. Do you see any other magic sword-wielder? Aside from Robin and what Ganondorf may have been, no. Shulk barely comes close because his Monado Arts functions like buffs/nerfs and Ike and Roy only have their Neutral Specials channeling their swords' power. With a rapier, Zelda could have a weak damage output, but good range and spacing. Add in her magic and she could have powerful options to kill. So, Bair could be a swipe for coverage and comboing, Fair is a stab that functions similarly to her current Fair, but safer since it's the sword and not her foot, Uair and Dair remains the same. Her jab could be a retreating stab or something which nobody has for a jab.

Then there's Skyward Sword Zelda with a harp which could be a neat idea for a character who fights with a musical instrument. She'd be more mage-y, but I wonder how a harp and music would be used for combat.

It's not a big deal, but it's one of those wonders and what ifs like what if Wolf appeared in Melee instead of Falco or what if ZSS was never introduced or what if Jigglypuff wasn't in 64, etc.

dunno if i would call that sass more like umm crazy?
Or *****y. :p

Like a pimp slap, but funnier.

Edit: Forgot about Robin.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Zelda's F-tilt is most definitely a KO option. My main gripe about it is that it's less safe on block than it should be given its relatively slowish startup. But it's a reasonable move overall.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
When Twilight Princess was shown, Zelda had a rapier. Oh, another sword-wielder. No, she could have been a magic swordswoman. Do you see any other magic sword-wielder? Aside from what Ganondorf may have been, no.
Robin. Also I wouldn't have been against that. Not huge into her rapier in Hyrule Warriors though. :C

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Mario's changes means most characters in this game beat him about 55/45, even though he technically has barely enough to work in neutral. He just rarely gets to kill people before they can kill him because his damage output is terrible, he still has unreliable KO setups, and gets bodied in juggle/offstage situations.
I disagree with just about everything you've said here.

Mario runs circles around pretty much everyone outside of high tier.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Robin. Also I wouldn't have been against that. Not huge into her rapier in Hyrule Warriors though. :C
Oops, I forgot about Robin... That might be because my Robin in Awakening's still in her Hero class. :p

Harp or rapier for Zelda would have been cool. That or a scepter... Hell, give her an "Omni Rod" that combines all of the rods in the Zelda game. She'd have mastery over fire, air, water, earth, and more. She'd be a fully-realized Avatar! Now all we need is to give her some martial arts lessons... Welp, time to phone Captain Falcon.

Zelda's F-tilt is most definitely a KO option. My main gripe about it is that it's less safe on block than it should be given its relatively slowish startup. But it's a reasonable move overall.
It's a magical slash... It should tear through shields. Well, at least it kills.

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
That's assuming she needs that for mid-range. She's not an aggressive character, but a very defensive one. There's a reason why her Up B is now a kill move. There was also a reason why she got Phantom Slash.
Having a mid-range spacing move does not equals being an aggressive character. Rosalina is also strong on the defensive side and her core gameplay is based on all the hitboxes she can throw at mid-range. Poking and/or keeping people away are huge parts of a defensive game and as of now Zelda can't do neither effectively. She is also in theory a defensive character but in many MUs she can't really force approaches and is the one having to reach her opponent, and she is kinda linear at that. The only high level Zelda player getting results that I'm aware of (Nairo) is actually very aggressive with her.

The only good defensive trait Zelda has is her punish, with her improved UpB, Nayru to cover close range options, a better grab and kill setups from Dtilt and Dthrow. Other than that I'd say Megaman, Pac-Man, Villager, Links and Gunner are all better at being defensive, and as you can see, all of them can pressure people at mid-range.

Suffice it to say, I really struggle to understand the logic behind her design.

I really want a back hand slap as a Bair or Fair now for Zelda. I don't know why, but I want a back hand slap as a move for Zelda. It'd be sassy and funny. It's like, "*****, did I tell you could look at me?" :joyful:

Peach has her slaps, Marth's hair flows fabulously, and Ganondorf's really flexible. So, why not add some sass to Zelda? :p
Wait, how does a back hand slap works, anatomically speaking?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I disagree with just about everything you've said here.

Mario runs circles around pretty much everyone outside of high tier.
Maybe if your name is DeDeDe? Maybe if you're running customs? Sure.

Also worth keeping in mind Mario has basically some of the lowest range in the game, and still has a bad DA and F-air.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Wait, how does a back hand slap works, anatomically speaking?
Like a backhand slap? So, a regular slap involves your palm... Er... why am I explaining how slaps work? Anyway, it could work like Captain Falcon's Bair, except Zelda turns around to backhand someone; the Capt.'s and Ganondorf's Bair are backfists, while Zelda's would be a backhand or a slap with the backhand.

Bruce Lee used backfists a lot. It's like an iconic move or something... Hmm, considering Captain Falcon's over-the-topness and the time period, I'm starting to wonder if he was inspired by Bruce Lee. I mean, he has the Nipple spike which sort of resembles Bruce Lee's jump on someone to stomp them.

Backhand slap.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
At least you guys have throws. Not only is Yoshi's grab game atrocious, his throws are terrible too. No way they can kill till prolly 300+% and they do so very little damage. Sure his grabs have range and Pivot grab still comes out fast, but when it takes about 3 seconds till you can input an action, that's a huge problem.

I honestly wonder when they were giving OoS options to Yoshi they just moved those 17 frame shield drop from brawl and put those frames into his pivot grab... but times 3 or 4.
It's the pac-man effect, will admit. If he still had his godly brawl Pivot grab he'd be top 3 for sure most likely. But man at least let him have the benefit of a killing bthrow like a good portion of the cast.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
What would you define as a kill throw? Obviously rage and character weight play a part in this but if a throw doesn't kill by 180% it's not a kill throw IMO. And not a whole lot of characters have throws that fit the bill. Ness, Villager, Sonic, Charizard, Bowser, ROB, Link, Toon Link, Wario, Greninja, and maybe the Pits and Marth/Lucina have a kill throw. Some others might get lucky near the ledge but it's not super common. That's what, about a quarter of the cast? And most of those have to wait until over 150% to kill unless they get lucky.

And A2Z, before you say Link doesn't have a kill throw, it's his UThrow. It's the second strongest in the game after ROB's.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Falco's up and back throws can kill, but they're wonky. His down throw can meteor, but it might only apply to Captain Falcon and it needs to be done at the ledge, so that one is really situational.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I honestly wonder when they were giving OoS options to Yoshi they just moved those 17 frame shield drop from brawl and put those frames into his pivot grab... but times 3 or 4.
It's the pac-man effect, will admit. If he still had his godly brawl Pivot grab he'd be top 3 for sure most likely. But man at least let him have the benefit of a killing bthrow like a good portion of the cast.
A good portion of the cast? Ness has one, Toon Link has one, Sonic kind of has one... is there anyone else?

This game seems to have very few kill throws in general. Honestly though, I'm fine with Yoshi not having a kill throw, I'd just like Down throw's followups to be a little better. As it stands, I usually just forward / back throw with Yoshi for stage position, up and down throw generally feel like a waste of time.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Kofu just posted a list with most of em, dunno why he doesn't find 15+ characters a good amount. If it was under 5 people that had killing throws then I wouldn't mind much.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Kofu just posted a list with most of em, dunno why he doesn't find 15+ characters a good amount. If it was under 5 people that had killing throws then I wouldn't mind much.
It's a decent number, but only Ness, ROB, Villager, and maybe Sonic will be killing below 150% on a regular basis with their throws. It's a great attribute to have, but most of the characters on that list have much more reliable ways of killing at far lower percents.

And going back to Yoshi, can't he get strings off of one or two of his throws? Having bad throws isn't anything specific to Yoshi (although it might be specific to the tether grabbers, lol). I mentioned before that Game & Watch's only good throw is his down throw, and it stops getting follow-ups around 80% usually (which is pretty good, I guess, but I'm not sure if a lot of them are guaranteed a good bit before that). It's also his best killing throw because it scales faster than the others. And by best killing throw I mean it'll kill at 250% against Jigglypuff.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Throws are heavily influenced by rage because of their high base knockback. High base knockback + decent growth/damage = kill throw. I think Ness' throw is the only one that just works without any rage shenanigans. Most others are going to be rage reliant (180 min rage->130 max rage for example)

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I don't know if it's the case with this game, but in the past Ness's back throw has been an example of low base knockback, monstrous growth.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm sure villager's has decent knockback growth for Bthrow for some reason.

Also Yoshi really doesn't have followups for his grabs. Only one that can work maybe at high % is Dthrow to Uair and that's if they don't jump out of it. All his grabs do under 7% to 4% I believe as well.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Well, like he said, a lot of those throws don't kill until around 150, which I wouldn't really count as a kill throw. Personally I feel a throw must kill by 120% or so to qualify, of which there are very few.

In any case, I don't really think it's vital for Yoshi. The thing with Yoshi is that he's a very honest character. His neutral game is fantastic (almost certainly top 5 IMO), but he either needs a read or to take a big risk to get a kill, so if you play solid against him he shouldn't ever really feel unbeatable (except maybe for certain terrible characters who have no good neutral options but they obviously need balancing work).

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Considering Zelda and Robin are magic users kind of like Ness - yes, yes, I know it's PSI powers - can any of their throws kill? Oh, and what about Little Mac's throws?

Yoshi, like a lot of fighters, can use his D-throw to combo off of, but it's his grab itself that people complain about alongside Link's, Toon Link's, Pac-Man's, and maybe Samus's and ZSS's.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I'd just like to point out that while some of these characters out range Marth none of them really have his mobility or start up on moves. Some of these characters fastest aerial iis more than double Marth's fair and for some their fastest ground moves is 5 frames just like Marth. Then their pokes arent as fast or the samee speed as Marth's. Range is a nice traight to have but if your moves are slow it becomes a detriment imo.
Marth has generally decent startup, but don't neglect his high endlag or the fact that he can't autocancel his aerials effectively. And Marth's mobility isn't as good as you think - Shaya talked about this already. It's true that his run speed is good and his walk speed is the best around, but his aerial mobility is average, his fall speed is average, his commitment to a dash is among the highest in the game, and his options out of a run are subpar.

Of the characters I listed, the only ones I listed that don't match or beat him in running speed and/or air speed are D3, Ganondorf, Samus, the Pits, and Charizard. Most characters I listed also have aerials that autocancel in useful windows or are (relatively) safe when spaced on landing.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Doesn't Yoshi's downthrow at least combo? If your throws at least include something that combos, and the rest do damage and put your opponent where you want them... that's not bad. Especially in Yoshi's case, since he has a projectile to use after he throws them away.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Meta Knight is WAAAAAAYYY better than people think and lil mac is the worst in 1v1s on FD or Omega stages.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
All Yoshi's dthrow does (low percent) is make people commit to either airdodge if we're greedy for a free uair/dair, or just toss an egg.
At high percent I have been getting Uair on people past 120%, but it's a 2/5 chance I usually get it.

If we're gonna go into kill setups from throws... Diddy Kong is the first that comes to mind with true setups whether it's Uair Fair or Bair.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
i hear yoshis down throw is even pretty bad.
personaly i feel every tether graber should have a kill throw or a strong combo throw.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
A good portion of the cast? Ness has one, Toon Link has one, Sonic kind of has one... is there anyone else?
More like splitting hairs, a kill throw is a kill throw.
Throw in Rob, Zard, and others and you've got quite a few kill throws. Zard is really interesting given he is a fast dashing heavy who has long grab range as well.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Considering Zelda and Robin are magic users kind of like Ness - yes, yes, I know it's PSI powers - can any of their throws kill? Oh, and what about Little Mac's throws?
Robin's Back Throw does, but like many others its rage and stage position-reliant.

Besides, if Robin's in a position to grab and throw, he should be shielddropping and Fire Jabbing instead. :p

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Maybe if your name is DeDeDe? Maybe if you're running customs? Sure.

Also worth keeping in mind Mario has basically some of the lowest range in the game, and still has a bad DA and F-air.
But do you realistically think that Mario goes 45/55 with most of the cast in this game? What is this based on, more theorycrafting?

I know my "mains" under my avatar make me look hella suspect, but I honestly don't get how you come to the conclusion that Mario loses to nearly everyone.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
But do you realistically think that Mario goes 45/55 with most of the cast in this game? What is this based on, more theorycrafting?

I know my "mains" under my avatar make me look hella suspect, but I honestly don't get how you come to the conclusion that Mario loses to nearly everyone.
It's based on watching how Ally wins his games. And what happens when he loses. And just me generally knowing a lot about the character.

Obviously, you don't seem to want to defend your position if that's your response. However my reasons for citing Mario being worse are simple. People claim Mario is good, and cite results. I research the matches, and find their claims faulty for several reasons, one being Ally is literally just way better than everyone. Two being a lot of the games he plays, he often makes ridiculous comebacks that shouldn't have happened, but do because he is actually better than everyone.

And three, a simple analysis of Mario compared to other characters is that his only real advantage over most is above average startup, and most of his "combos" which are cited to make him "good" are not actually combos, but require reads to work, reads which could have netted much more damage on different characters.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Marth has generally decent startup, but don't neglect his high endlag or the fact that he can't autocancel his aerials effectively. And Marth's mobility isn't as good as you think - Shaya talked about this already. It's true that his run speed is good and his walk speed is the best around, but his aerial mobility is average, his fall speed is average, his commitment to a dash is among the highest in the game, and his options out of a run are subpar.

Of the characters I listed, the only ones I listed that don't match or beat him in running speed and/or air speed are D3, Ganondorf, Samus, the Pits, and Charizard. Most characters I listed also have aerials that autocancel in useful windows or are (relatively) safe when spaced on landing.
How are his options out of dash any worse than anyone else? You've missed my point but let's take Shulk. His nair auto cancels the start up sucks. Good luck keeping Marth out when all your fastest aerial is 13 frames. Your ground moves also are slow jab is 5 frames while dtilt is ten. Because of Marth's walk speed he can get into his desired ranges while give shulk all types of problems.

Let's take Palutena whose fastest ground move is jab at 7 frames everything else is 10 + frames. Marth's fastest option is 5 frames and his dtilt is 7 frames I believe...Superior walk speed goes to marth dash and air goes to palutena I believe. Her fastest aerial is fair at 5 frames but I don't believe that it's disjointed but I could be wrong.

It's not enough to just say oh well ya know these characters out ranges Marth. While some posses superior mobility it's not enough imo for Marth to fold. Can marth not perfect pivot? I don't get why Marth's options from a dash arr considered bad when he can do everything anyone also can out of a grab.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Mario's startup is far from above average. It ranks among the best in the game if not the best. Trust me if it was above average there wouldn't be debate but his start up frames overall rank equal to or better than Sheik from the data Amazing Ampharos posted.

If that's just "above average" IDK what to tell you. But calling it that is a misnomer.

I'm done with this "Mario is X" debate because I've stated my position and why I'm not being swayed until I am given concrete strong proof otherwise but I'd like to clarify that his frame data is NOT just "above average"

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Really, KOing at about 150% in optimal circumstances is standard for throws now.
Ness's is the only exception.

I'm going to list all the characters that I know can KO with one of their
throws without having to be near 200%.

Bthrowers: Megaman, Marios and Luigi, Zelda, Bowser Jr., Palutena,
Pac-Man, Toon Link, DK, Villager, Sonic.

Uthrowers: R.O.B, Olimar with Blue, Greninja according to @ FullMoon FullMoon ,
supposedly Kirby, maybe Meta Knight?

Dthrowers: Charizard, Shulk (especially with Smash).

Fthrowers: Pit and Dark Pit, Bowser, Capt. Falcon maybe?

I probably missed some, feel free to add or correct this.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You really underestimate a character having the ability to dynamically combo at all, let alone you comparing it to what many considered bonafied top tiers.

Marth up throw with rage kills.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Really, KOing at about 150% in optimal circumstances is standard for throws now.

Up throw would also include Link, Marth, and Lucina. Meta Knight is right on the border of usable KO up throws, and Kirby's a bit worse.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I knew of megaman DK Shulk and Bowser Jr. that wasn't listed from Kofu earlier, but didn't know bout pac-man and olimar having his still since the nerf to him.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
I knew of megaman DK Shulk and Bowser Jr. that wasn't listed from Kofu earlier, but didn't know bout pac-man and olimar having his still since the nerf to him.
uthrow still kills with blues, but the percent it actually works at is just higher

Kese

Smash Cadet
NNID
agentghost29
I'm sure villager's has decent knockback growth for Bthrow for some reason.

Also Yoshi really doesn't have followups for his grabs. Only one that can work maybe at high % is Dthrow to Uair and that's if they don't jump out of it. All his grabs do under 7% to 4% I believe as well.

U forget Ness in the backthrow category, and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't peach backthrow kill too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom