• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Board Specific Matchup Chart Project (Last Update: 12/21)- Not a tier list!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
just show one and have a link to the second. no need to clutter the op more.

mk has an advantage on pt. not a large one though. both squirtle and zard are soft countered (about 4:6), ivysaur i'm not sure yet but leaning hard countered.

overall the matchup should be about 4:6 mk. soft counter overall, basically. the mk boards either don't agree or don't care at all about this matchup, so i doubt it'll be updated in here...

on that note, falco should soft counter pt at this point, although there has been some discussion about squirtle possibly going neutral with falco.

marth soft counters pt as well, but they haven't done any analysis on their board so that won't get updated either.

snake doesn't have a thread in the op.

pt = yoshi, this is something that dangr can add in the next update

i wouldn't add anything on pt/link, pt thinks ivy is 6:4 and link thinks its even. and that would make the difference between pt possibly being advantage on link or definitely being advantage on link.

olimar = pt, i guess...dangr we should play some more matches eh? ;)

gw slight advantage on pt, but they haven't done anything on pt either.

dude like yoshi, olimar, link, MAYBE mk are the only people that pt board has looked into that have even put anything up on pt.

u____________________________u

Flayl

Smash Hero
You can just copy the bowser matchups from the other thread, according to our active forumers nothing has changed.

Visitors from another board always have the last word, that is, unless it's from a DK board saying bowser might not have it so bad! Then all hell breaks loose.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, sorry. My internet connection was dead the past two days, so I couldn't upload the chart. It's up now though. The one based off the tier list is the second one. Take a look.

Amide

Smash Lord
Nice- And I think the tier based one will look much cooler than the first one once it's complete.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I just missed an update AGAIN! Peach boards have the Peach-Kirby matchup at 55-45, while Kirby's have it even 50-50. Sounds like an agreement to me

Also, just a suggestion for the Tier-based chart, why not divide the larger tiers (high, middle, low)? Both the high and middle have 10 characters, so split those in 2. The low has 15 including Shiek/Zelda, so split that into 3. If you want to keep track of the tiers, change the background colours for high and low (ex. change to light orange and yellow). It would end up looking something like this:

MK
Snake
D3
G&W
Falco
ROB
DK
Diddy
Pit
Wolf

Just a thought. BTW, are we having a vote on the charts? Now that I see the tier-based chart, I'm starting to favour it.

EDIT: possible option - split bottom tier into 2 (7 and 7, which keeps all of PT together), and put S/Z in black or something to distinguish it

Tenki

Smash Hero
colorblind

Can you like, choose a darker orange?

lolcolorblinds.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
What about that idea with different signs? Perhaps it is a good idea, after all...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I personally prefer the alphabet order....

It is easier to find certain characters by Letter than by memorizing where they are in a tier.

MK26

Smash Master
This thread doesn't work that way. Read the initial post please.
Except...he's right

Dedede matchup thread: "Bowser 7-3"
Bowser matchup thread: ">< YOU ARE SCREWED"

Large advantage it is. On the topic of D3's infinite:

Dedede matchup thread: "Luigi 45-55 w/o infinite, 80-20 w/"
Luigi Matchup thread: "Dedede 20-80 (potentially 10-90)"

Completely off-topic, the Kirby boards have started their matchups fresh.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195032

Add it NAO:p

Hype

Smash Lord
For the colour blind issue.

you could use check marks like the other match up thread.

you could also make a chart with numbers. for example it someone has the number 7 in their squar they have a 7:3 advantage.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm still trying to gather opinions on the tier list chart. I'm not going to update until we come to a concensus. (I don't want to waste my time on a chart that we won't use. I hope you understand)

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
We've kinda come to an agreement on Sonic boards that Sonic v Kirby is 40:60 in Kirby's favour. Kirby boards say the same, so...

Timbers

check me out
ROB vs. Lucario is neutral.

Er well, according to Overswarm's matchup guide thread type deal that you've listed for ROB. ROB boards have several character matchups floating around I believe, I'm not sure which one they consider the most accurate.

Count

Smash Champion
Marth and Diddy boards agree:

Marth has a 60:40 advantage vs diddy.

Wolf and Diddy boards agree:

Wolf has a 60:40 advantage over diddy.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
I disagree, its nice to have the tiers grouped together, so that you can have a general section to look at and see if for instance, your soon-to-be main has any good matchups against the top tier or similar. And once people get the jist of the tier list, you will know where everyone is anyways.

The Alphabetical is nice, but not quite as good.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i think maybe character icons could help a bit on the tier list. it's something to consider, dangr.

also i love it because it actually groups the pt pokes together x__x

finally,

dangr you can put

pt<mk
pt<falco
pt=yoshi

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I already wrote this, but swf had another "blackout". (speaking of blackout, Bama>Georgia!)

Can you like, choose a darker orange?

lolcolorblinds.
I've changed the orange color before. When I darken it, it looks redish. When I lighten it, it looks yellow. I'll have the colorblind chart out asap.

What about that idea with different signs? Perhaps it is a good idea, after all...
that's what the colorblind chart will be.

I really like that thread, (I contributed to it) but it doesn't have any sort of difficulty rankings. If you could get him to add them in, I'd use it in a heart beat.

I'm really jealous of that thread. It's everything I want my Olimar matchups thread to be. :(

ROB vs. Lucario is neutral.

Er well, according to Overswarm's matchup guide thread type deal that you've listed for ROB. ROB boards have several character matchups floating around I believe, I'm not sure which one they consider the most accurate.
I don't mind changing to a different matchup thread as long as it reflects the Rob board's opinions.

May I complain a bit?

The colours in the chart are really confusing.
how so?

i think maybe character icons could help a bit on the tier list. it's something to consider, dangr.
I'll think about it.
also i love it because it actually groups the pt pokes together x__x
It's common sense, lol.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'd stick with the first list.

The second one based on the tier list would have to be changed with every list. The first one could be kept without needing to change the order all of the time.

It would be more simplistic.

The tier list idea sounds good, it just needs more time to set up compared to the first one.

MK26

Smash Master
Hmmm...if you're trying to search a specific matchup, the alphabetical list is better. If you're looking for general trends, the tier list is better. It shows high tier counters etc; With a list where disputes are decided by the list creator, and thus all squares are filled in, the tier list is better. However, where it will be almost impossible to have a filled diagram, i suppose that the alphabetical is better. Frequently I've searched for a matchup on the tier chart, found it in a while, and had a much easier time finding it on the alphabetical list. So...my opinion...stick with the alphabetical list.

Also, you don't need to recheck the Kirby board matchups. We havent changed any rankings. Yet. (we'll be rechecking any outdated matchups next week)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmmm...if you're trying to search a specific matchup, the alphabetical list is better. If you're looking for general trends, the tier list is better. It shows high tier counters etc; With a list where disputes are decided by the list creator, and thus all squares are filled in, the tier list is better. However, where it will be almost impossible to have a filled diagram, i suppose that the alphabetical is better. Frequently I've searched for a matchup on the tier chart, found it in a while, and had a much easier time finding it on the alphabetical list. So...my opinion...stick with the alphabetical list.

Also, you don't need to recheck the Kirby board matchups. We havent changed any rankings. Yet. (we'll be rechecking any outdated matchups next week)
Personally, I've memorized the characters' relative positions in the tier list. That makes searching for the character nothing more than a glance. It takes longer to look at the alphabetically ordered chart imo.

...But the majority is what's more important. I think what I'll end up doing will be keeping the alphabetical chart up, and give links to an updated tier list chart and the chart for the colorblind.

The tier list chart seems more applicable for exactly what you said,"looking for general trends" among the characters. It should help people that are looking at the chart to see a character's matchups against the other characters in relation to their tier position. If that makes sense...

No new kirby matchups? thanks. that saves a lot of time. Just tell me when they do change.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I'm still trying to gather opinions on the tier list chart. I'm not going to update until we come to a concensus. (I don't want to waste my time on a chart that we won't use. I hope you understand)
Tier list chart is better IMO.
It is just like Melee's and it's more organized since the colors are all "grouped" because the better/bad matchups are all in their respective corner. Instead of looking like a rainbow it looks more organized.

May I complain a bit?

The colours in the chart are really confusing.
The colors are perfect >_>

Timbers

check me out
I don't mind changing to a different matchup thread as long as it reflects the Rob board's opinions.
The one you have currently is definitely accurate, but it seems like it hasn't been updated in a while. Really you'd have to see for yourself which you think is the most accurate, as I don't visit the boards. The OS matchup thread and Lucario matchup thread both label Luc vs ROB as neutral, though.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
well dangr, you don't group the pt pokemon together in the abc list, which is kind of a pain. not a big deal though, and i like the tier chart overall more anyway.

also, something else to consider:

why don't you set a separate color for matchups that both boards have discussed but disagree on? it's a lot more different than situations where neither board has even discussed them, imo. because the former are discussions that need to happen sooner rather than later, while the others can wait.

i recommend black or grey for that kind of matchup, btw.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
Very good matchup
Good matchup
Neutral
Bad matchup
Very bad matchup

I think this would be better.
no, green/yellowgreen/yellow are all to close in color IMO
i like the colors the way it is.

MK26

Smash Master
well dangr, you don't group the pt pokemon together in the abc list, which is kind of a pain. not a big deal though, and i like the tier chart overall more anyway.

also, something else to consider:

why don't you set a separate color for matchups that both boards have discussed but disagree on? it's a lot more different than situations where neither board has even discussed them, imo. because the former are discussions that need to happen sooner rather than later, while the others can wait.

i recommend black or grey for that kind of matchup, btw.
lol I already suggested this, DanGR said he liked the idea but he never got around to doing it...(probably cuz its too much work to search each thread to find the matchups they have and dont have on top of all the stuff hes already doin)

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I've memorized the characters' relative positions in the tier list. That makes searching for the character nothing more than a glance. It takes longer to look at the alphabetically ordered chart imo.

...But the majority is what's more important.
I think once people look at it more than a few times they will have it memorized as well.

(not to mention the tier one is better for other things, where as the alphabetical is only better in the fact that it is easier the first couple of times you look at it.)

Top Bottom