• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Board Specific Matchup Chart Project (Last Update: 12/21)- Not a tier list!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725

okay... so yeah... what looks best?
I say it's those high contrast white leters with black outlines in the top right... not just because I suggested them... I honestly do

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I added one final color scheme. Black lettering with a white outline. I've emailed all the potential variations to Dan, so he can choose which one he likes best based off your guys's opinion.

Sorry for spamming this topic with so many images.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Mario should have and advantage over Ness, Ness's Dash atk and Fair are the only things that I can think of that Ness really has against Mario. Ness has kill power but his only reliable ones are Bthrow and Fsmash. Mario can gimp Ness very easily and Mario is better at pressuring Ness than vice-versa. Mario's juggles are also near combos that can quickly rack up dmg on Ness. Fireballs are great for approaching Ness since Ness's PK Magnet is a free Dsmash and Ness's bat has too much startup lag most of the time. Also, any of Ness's moves that have priority are susceptable to FIHL. And Ness's PK Flash and PK Thunder are also too dangerous to use against Mario since FLUDD can grant free KOs from them most of time. PK Fire can be caped easily even while caught inside it. Mario's Fsmash has a lot more reach than Ness's and kills early.
Freakin lol! HAHA!
Ness Fsmash reliable (HAHAHAH!) it's decent. Ness PKT2 is more reliable. Ness aerials eat Mario for breakfast, and your logic is really really stupid.
PK Magnet is a free Dsmash and Ness's bat has too much startup lag most of the time

It's PSI MAGNET! PSI!
And what if I don't use it smart alec. And Ness Fsmash has more range than Mario's Fsmash.

To much bull**** in that post to process. OVERLOAD!

Oh and, Im waiting for you Matador. And I have my red cape ready for you.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Adapt

Smash Lord
Alright, I added one final color scheme. Black lettering with a white outline. I've emailed all the potential variations to Dan, so he can choose which one he likes best based off your guys's opinion.

<image removed>

Sorry for spamming this topic with so many images.
I have a suggestion as to the chart with numbers...

(instructions for PS:CS2
Try making a layer with black numbers, change blending options to overlay and create an inner shadow (size 1, distance 1)

you get something like this: (numbers I changed circled in red)

Alternately: Use a white layer and set it to overlay, and use a drop shadow (size 1, distance 1)

These create good looking effects that are also pretty easy to read

Also, you never changed the Link vs ZSS match Dan... despite both me and bouse posting it.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I actually like that.

The best options so far are this ^ and the transparent white with the drop shadow. The solid white+outline is too "strong".

Actually, the actual chart would look really nice if you included what Adapt did once it's done.

XienZo

Smash Lord
I second Adapt's way.

Its way more noticable compared to the first one, and doesn't "interupt" the color that the later ones do

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Of course, there's thousands of ways we could do this. I figure if we're making a color-blind version of this chart, the best idea is to stay away from black, eh? I don't want it one huge mesh of differing shades of dark-gray. You know? Hence why we were using white as a sharp contrast from the already gray chart. The numbers aren't there to be asthetically pleasing, but to be easily readable and accessable...

You do have a point though, I did make an attempt using overlay but to be perfectly honest, I didn't like the outcome. If everyone else likes, it though, Dan could certainly use it. =)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
can we get a different jiggs thread? yours is never really updated and is off on a few matchups
sure thing. I've already got one in mind. I was waiting to see if it'd last. It has.

+1 post count vote for adapt's way if it looks good in black and white

+200 post count
I hope you guys know that colorblind doesn't mean color... blind...

Of course, there's thousands of ways we could do this. I figure if we're making a color-blind version of this chart, the best idea is to stay away from black, eh? I don't want it one huge mesh of differing shades of dark-gray. You know? Hence why we were using white as a sharp contrast from the already gray chart. The numbers aren't there to be asthetically pleasing, but to be easily readable and accessable...

You do have a point though, I did make an attempt using overlay but to be perfectly honest, I didn't like the outcome. If everyone else likes, it though, Dan could certainly use it. =)
My thoughts...
-no black, sorry.
-pure white is alright I guess. It's stressful on the eyes (mine at least)- which brings me to my next bullet
-the bold part=truth
-I agree with latter half of the second to last sentence.
-w/e y'all want though
-llamas = win
-MK will be banned by Thanksgiving if the current conditions don't improve. ;)
-llamas = win

Zamz, I guess I'll just wait until we get a concensus on which to use. We've got 4-5 different versions floating around.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I hope you guys know that colorblind doesn't mean color... blind...

My thoughts...
-no black, sorry.
-pure white is alright I guess. It's stressful on the eyes (mine at least)-

Zamz, I guess I'll just wait until we get a concensus on which to use. We've got 4-5 different versions floating around.
No colorblind does not mean black/white, but why not just make the colorblind chart as light gray squares with black numbers? (maybe 2 shades of gray so you can differentiate rows easier) It's perfectly readable. You only have to link it in the first post, not display it for everyone to see.

Thanks for the votes, Mmac, Dekuu, XienZo, and MK26. I also think it would look good on the main chart being displayed, but its a fair bit of extra work that it not really necessary.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
marth and pt boards have agreed that

squirtle<<marth
ivysaur<marth
charizard<marth
pt<marth

:)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well... actually, I'm still waiting on a conclusion about the numbers. Zamz sent me his versions, but not Adapt's. You guys seem to like his better.

*doesn't know what to do*

Also, I think the numbers should go onto the noncolor-blind chart. Not two separate from each other.

Edit: april 1st? where'd you get that bigfoot?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Boch charts should have numbers. But seriosly, just take one of them. None of them looks bad

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
*sigh*

I think I'm going to update just the tier list chart.

Ooops. Did I just post that?

Adapt

Smash Lord
Well... actually, I'm still waiting on a conclusion about the numbers. Zamz sent me his versions, but not Adapt's. You guys seem to like his better.

*doesn't know what to do*

Also, I think the numbers should go onto the noncolor-blind chart. Not two separate from each other.
Does Zamz send you a .psd file? If so, you could forward it to me, and I could create all of the layers that you would need to update the chart.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Why does Luigi have a neutral against Ganondorf? I'm pretty sure he has the small advantage, and the Luigi boards say so too.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I have thought about this, and I must say that the thought seizes me that not all dittos are equal.

Some, for example, may amplify the difference in skill level between the players, so that a slight privilege of skill and practice in one will make that game decidedly easier on that player. Conversely, the ditto may ease out disparities, so that it remains much more up in the air, a "neutral match." (still 55:45 for the actual better player, or so).

This is because the way that a character, interacts with that same character, is still different, depending on the character. Luigi's weaknesses are still Luigi's weaknesses, and it matters how well your own character can attack those weaknesses. If your character is Luigi, it's gonna matter what Luigi's physics allow him to do to the sort of character that Luigi is.
Yes, the opponent has the same option; but it's about how easily a weakness can be broken open, and what that weakness means when a character gets rolling on it.

An easy example would be a character who has an infinite against himself, compared with a character whose best strategy is to turtle, against himself. The character who has an infinite in the ditto, in high level play, will be hyper focused on that infinite. All else being equal, this will intensify the ability of a player to earn that one frame advantage that eventually cascades into connecting with the first move of the infinite. In the other case, every advantage is lost to the extremity of time that passes before either one KOs the other. The mistakes become small compared to the size of all choices made in a stock.

Inasmuch as matchup charts are an attempt to quantify upsets, these data seem relevant.

So I was wondering if these matchup charts, and future Smash meta developers, would look into annotating ditto matchups with any sort of information, beyond the current "auto-slash" we see running across the chart on post 1 here.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry. That blows my mind^. It's 1:46 in the morning and I couldn't respond logically to that seemingly incredibly deep post* if you were to pay me to. (I tried, but I laughed at what I was typing, haha)

When I wake up tomorrow, (or later today I guess) I may think that post was dumb. lolz

*head explodes*

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
uhhhhhhh idk but it seems to me that pt dittos are always a toss up regardless of skill. if both are competent, there's a chance either can win.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'd just like to add, that the "new fox match-up thread" and it's ludicrous numbers (they have 5:5 vs MK and 7:3 advantage vs Snake!) make a completion of this chart impossible

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
omg^, that's ridiculous. Is there a different thread I could use?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'd just like to add, that the "new fox match-up thread" and it's ludicrous numbers (they have 5:5 vs MK and 7:3 advantage vs Snake!) make a completion of this chart impossible
Lmao, I knew the Wolf and Fox boards would end up going at it. Your Matchup was bound to come around.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
For this thread, I will refuse to help concerning Ike, I hope other Ike's follow my example so we don't have to deal with everyone claiming their character 7-3's Ike since he's slow. If every character 7-3'd Ike then he's be bottom. (Only some boards actually don't do this, but 80% of the boards have Ike 7-3 or 65/35 that I'm sick of it)

So don't bother going to the Ike boards. You'll get ALOT of disagrement with the match ups. We don't care what others think of our match up so you don't have to include our thoughts.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
yeah i've been lurking around the fox boards these past weeks and it's pretty muched turned into a "we will resurect the fox god by unleashing his true potential as best character in the game!" sect and their motto is like "in the right hands fox is unbeatable and those who dare contradict us will be immediatly trashed!"...

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Ussi, I can see what you mean. As a wolf layer I experienced the same: "Wolf has a gimpable recovery so u win lololololololol" and BS like that

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
well, its something to exploit on Wolf, but everyone works to cover their character's weakness, that's a given. I always thought at least people gave Wolf credit for his good ground game.

But wolf's recovery = fail on lylat, I just laugh since Lylat counters all 3 of the characters it shares its game with.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's a weakness indeed. But it can be worked around and it doesn't decide many matchu-ups. Yeah Lylat sux

Top Bottom