• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chainchoking

Player-3

Smash Hero
If I was mentally handicap, I'd be playing brawl.
you should stop chewing on the keyboard... your little teethies will get dull and they will start to hurt a little bit....

but seriously, if the characters who have a too short in roll start to roll in, what about a sh past them to a reverse aerial SIDE-B?
(<3 you too melee players)

TP

Smash Master
turtlecake, get out.

Anonymous., get out.

GotenOnNimbus, get out. Pushing them into posting more doesn't help at all.

EDIT: See that post turtlecake made, the one two posts after this? Don't respond to it, or anything else he says. Note that he is not worth making a new post over.

EDIT: Salty posted his post before I made the first edit, just like Goten made his post while I was typing this post originally. Time paradoxes suck.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Honestly I think that if you guys (our guests) were into Brawl-Ganon as much as we are, you would understand why we are so hyped about this "Chainchoking"-stuff.

I wish you all the best of luck on your journey back to the Melee-forums!
Thx for the visit..

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Back on topic:
I find Chainchoking pretty successful Vs DK. His animations are fairly easy to read..
The SH>Greudo+DI is also pretty good after his GUA.

TP

Smash Master
Back on topic:
I find Chainchoking pretty successful Vs DK. His animations are fairly easy to read..
The SH>Greudo+DI is also pretty good after his GUA.
I put him in the very hard group. Someone else test to decide how easy or hard DK is to deal with. We need a third opinion.

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
>_>'

Sooo...why's it okay for them to antagonize and not me? =\

Anyway...Regardless.

I've started messing with it in my matches, and it's something I've slowly just gotten used to, trying to improve my reaction times and not worrying too much on what each animation looks like. I might be cataloguing them subconsciously, but otherwise I just practice, practice, practice every chance I get.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I put him in the very hard group. Someone else test to decide how easy or hard DK is to deal with. We need a third opinion.
I wish I could.

Is there any character not on any list right now?

It says these are your personal tests; you had to work alone? (the old problem. . .)

If so, it seems important to separate confirmed placements from unconfirmed ones. And to set up a plan for investigating them.
If all the unconfirmed ones could be checked on the left of the margin*, it would allow anyone who has the time, to look at the OP, pick one, and test, so we could get this done in parallel.
Since you have done some testing, it's a matter of getting more confident results, so we could maybe indicate number of people to have checked it (stop at 4?), or codify the quality of the testing in some way, i.e., solo testing vs. testing with a partner.

*that is, marking each one with a symbol on the left - like the asterisk at the beginning of this sentence, -so they're all aligned for a quick scan.

TP

Smash Master
My testing is flawed, yes. I was testing alone, which can hurt accuracy. However, it is clear that nobody else will do testing. I'm not saying this in an angry way at all. I sure wouldn't have done testing if it hadn't been my thread. The fact is that what I have here is a good starting point, apparently good enough that nobody has felt compelled to do there own 4 hour testing spree. Much of it was my own opinion, but some things were clear at least. This part I am absolutely sure of, no matter what happens, ever.

Easier: Kirby and Pikachu, and maybe others.

Clearly and irrefutably impossible: Ike. Seriously, my testing for him lasted about 3 seconds. Try his out roll and be amazed.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
My testing is flawed, yes. I was testing alone, which can hurt accuracy. However, it is clear that nobody else will do testing. I'm not saying this in an angry way at all. I sure wouldn't have done testing if it hadn't been my thread. The fact is that what I have here is a good starting point, apparently good enough that nobody has felt compelled to do there own 4 hour testing spree. Much of it was my own opinion, but some things were clear at least. This part I am absolutely sure of, no matter what happens, ever.

Easier: Kirby and Pikachu, and maybe others.

Clearly and irrefutably impossible: Ike. Seriously, my testing for him lasted about 3 seconds. Try his out roll and be amazed.
You can add Lucario to that list. Seriously, the thing lasts like 7 frames.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Glad to see you guys back on topic. Just a warning, one more off-topic post means this thread gets closed.

The internet user's ability to get so butthurt over meaningless terms is amazing.

TP

Smash Master
Glad to see you guys back on topic. Just a warning, one more off-topic post means this thread gets closed.

The internet user's ability to get so butthurt over meaningless terms is amazing.
Everyone make note of this. If someone barges in here and tries to raise another fight, please PM that person and tell them to edit their post and continue the fight in PMs.

You can also add ganon to the list

in dittos
My inaccurate testing says otherwise. Like with the difficulty of DK, we need a third person to help decide who is right.

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I leave for a couple of days and BOOM! OK then.

Anyways, I've kinda run into a problem. Chainchoking an in roll, out roll, and GUA are fine by themselves but every time the opponent just gets up, he can always counter me. How do we counter that? Or did we already discuss this and I'm missing something blatantly obvious.

Renth

Smash Hero
Could ya'll haters just stop, please?

Look, I've been playing Ganon since 2001. I'm 22 years old. I only began tournament play after I moved to NYC a few years back and the tournament scene was so far advanced that I couldn't break in very easily. I'm buddies with Wes, BUM, D1, have had friendlies with NL, Blackanese, etc., worshiped PC Chris's (Long Island) and Eddie's Ganon's during melee, blah blah blah.

The only reason I name drop so rashly and tastelessly is because I'm just saying, please don't insult our intelligence. A lot of people here work really hard on BRAWL Ganon, but that doesn't mean we don't know and respect our roots. So yes, Renth, I used to watch your vids all the time, and lurked these forums for YEARS before I joined for Brawl. Some of us keep playing Melee, some of us don't, but it's just plain annoying when Melee elitists come in here and tell us our favorite game is lame and we suck at it. The psychology behind that is really sad, and all you're doing is killing our thread with your petty semantic debates. PLEASE, just stop.

Edited for rudeness.

Renth

Smash Hero
turtlecake, get out.

Anonymous., get out.

GotenOnNimbus, get out. Pushing them into posting more doesn't help at all.

EDIT: See that post turtlecake made, the one two posts after this? Don't respond to it, or anything else he says. Note that he is not worth making a new post over.

EDIT: Salty posted his post before I made the first edit, just like Goten made his post while I was typing this post originally. Time paradoxes suck.
edit: edited for rudeness.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Please, just nobody respond. Continue the discussion.

Renth, I saw your posts before you edited them. You forgot to edit my name in your quotation to read correctly "hyperstation" rather than your slurring thereof. It would be in good form to change that. Thanks.

Renth

Smash Hero
Please, just nobody respond. Continue the discussion.

Renth, I saw your posts before you edited them. You forgot to edit my name in your quotation to read correctly "hyperstation" rather than your slurring thereof. It would be in good form to change that. Thanks.
You've already shown me what kind of person you are and i'm not doing anything to please you. arguing with you is absolutely pointless you are immiedately run out and judge people for saying one thing and hold on to it like a fly on a mound of garbage. Whether you like what people say or not this is a public forum people have their freedoms but there are limits. Saying something "is gay" is hardly anything to cry about it.

However, you are convinced I have no morals. I am this ravenous racist jerk who doesn't care about other peoples feelings. Look in the mirror sometime YOU do not know me, YOU will never get to know me, on top of that.. Judging someone by something they say on a internet forum is stupid as well.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Dear Renth..
Could you please PM DAD instead?
It's pretty annoying how you continue the conversation in this thread.
What is it that you want everyone to hear(read)?

No offense, but please stop it already..

Renth

Smash Hero
Dear Renth..
Could you please PM DAD instead?
It's pretty annoying how you continue the conversation in this thread.
What is it that you want everyone to hear(read)?

No offense, but please stop it already..
you're the first person who was kind and didn't act all angry over nothing. i'll leave this thread.

Thank you.

Player-3

Smash Hero
good riddance
facepalm...
didst thou learnest nothing?

just be nice and get along people renth was just trying to spread the love from melee..
melee players are elitist yes, but in 7 years so will brawl players.

just stop arguing and get back to the AT

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Okay so I tried reading the last couple pages of this thread to catch up.

Waste of time.

Instead I'll just offer my questions/theories.

From my personal experience, I've found that choking somebody and then moving away from them offers more options in getting another choke in. It makes it easier to choke them if they get up and of course they can be choked without effort if they roll in the direction you run. Thoughts.
Other thing, if you choke the opponent fairly close to the edge, they will almost always roll away from the edge, they're taking a huge risk by not doing so. If you choke them close to the edge, it's almost always a perfect setup for turning around and Fsmashing.
Dash attack has very considerable KO power, and should be considered over Ftilt against character that either float, or have good recovery, because it lands a verticle KO. It's also generally easier to hit the opponent with.
Short hop choking does more damage and leaves less lag upon missing, but gives less time to to setup a folowup, it's still good considering the animation can catch opponents off guard, and it's still find when choking close to the edge, you still have enough time to turn around and Fsmash. Not as easy against the shorties though of course.

That's about it off the top of my head, hope ALL of it wasn't big repeats of what others have been saying. I'll be around.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Okay so I tried reading the last couple pages of this thread to catch up.

Waste of time.
Ditto.

TP, I was wondering about your reasoning behind Game and Watch. When I choke from the right (G&W on my left), I can see his mouth A-Ok, and my cape doesn't cover it. But it seems like he opens his mouth on all his animations just the same. So while I agree that he's impossible, am I misunderstanding something?

TP

Smash Master
TP, I was wondering about your reasoning behind Game and Watch. When I choke from the right (G&W on my left), I can see his mouth A-Ok, and my cape doesn't cover it. But it seems like he opens his mouth on all his animations just the same. So while I agree that he's impossible, am I misunderstanding something?
I could easily be wrong. I will look into a bit more later. (I'm at work now)

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
Alright so I finally had some time to do a little research and here's what I've found. Chainchoking can be escaped by DIing away from Ganon during the choke and then rolling away. Only certain characters can't do this. Here's a list of all the characters that can and can't escape the Chainchoke.

Can escape
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Diddy
Wario
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganon (ironic no?)
Samus
Ice Climbers (who'd a thought)
Rob
Meta-knight (:()
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Ivysaur
Squirtle
Lucario
Marth
Ike
Mess
Lucas
Snake

Can't Escape
Bowser
DK
Toon Link
Pit
Kirby
Dedede (take that you chain grabber)
Olimar
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Charizard
Jigglypuff
Mr. G&W
Sonic

As you can see there are quite a lot of characters that can escape this. My solution is to simply walk forward a little before you activate the gerudo. Reason being that the characters who did escape only were out of range by a very minuscule amount.

Now, I have one more point to bring up. While I was testing, I found that some characters, when they rolled away, would get out of range even without DIing. I wasn't about to test all of the characters AGAIN but if anyone's willing to do it, be my guest.

TP

Smash Master
Thank you for taking the time to test this. Could you find out which characters can be reached using a small step forward and which ones can't? You have already done very well, so don't feel pressured. :)

Top Bottom