• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chainchoking

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
This is getting as irritating as all the "Murder quake-finds" lol..

Stating what's techchasing and what's not techchasing is one thing..

But saying that people are stupid because they call Ganons side+B: "Gerudo", is just imature..

Like: Calling the "Ken-combo", "Ken-combo", is just stupid.... It should obviously be called
"Dthrow ->Dthrow ->Dthrow ->Dthrow -> Fair ->Fair ->Fair ->Fair ->Fair ->Fair -> Dair", instead.

No offence guys; but please leave already..

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Oh ffs.

First things first, then. Renth, while we respect you and your Melee homies for building up Ganon's metagame in Melee, the fact remains that you guys did that IN MELEE ALONE. We're the ones who're currently engaged in improving Ganon's metagame IN BRAWL. You're not, and frankly, if the lot of you don't have anything more to contribute than elitism based on join dates and a pointless argument about semantics, then that's just pathetic.

Anonymous, just get out. You're not worth wasting my breath on, and you never were.

Ryko, I like you and all, but this honestly has nothing to do with, and your argument is spurious. After all, you don't call Aetherspiking 'spiking with Aether', or Zap Jumping 'jumping boosted by projectile knockback'. We reserve the right to name our techs for easy reference.

TP

Smash Master
Apparently I should drop out of school so I don't leave my thread undefended for 7 hours.

Shut the **** up and start talking more about the application and execution of chainchoking. Yes, I will still call it that without doubt. Why? Because it is the name of my thread. Chainchoking is a name I came up with, when I introduced the concept, and I'll call it whatever I want, and you know what? You can call it whatever you want, too. I don't care what you call it. Chainchoking is the official name of following a choke with another choke after they have initiated their roll or getup or getup attack, according to this thread. If you want to call it something else, be my guest, but nobody gives a ****, so DON'T POST ABOUT IT.

DAD, if you feel any changes need to be made to that paragraph before I stick it in the OP, please say so. I love constructive criticism.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Get back on topic or else there will be consequences of the infraction variety.
I'm sorry Youko, but if you're definition of "on-topic" is praising the technique, then I'm apologize on behalf of everyone in this thread. However, we're arguing the idea that was proclaimed in the OP.
This is different from the tech chasing we know and love. We used to predict what they would do and catch them if we were successful. This removes guessing from the equation by reacting after they have initiated their response.
The OP and the others are arguing that this is a new form of tech-chasing, one that, theoretically, can not be escaped etcetc. (read: Windmill of Fury) We have every right to question this "technique" and refute the idea that it is tech-chasing, not some other newly-discovered technique.

We can't just post an idea and be done with it. Questioning, debating, answering, all these factors strengthen the ideas even stronger.

Oh ffs.

First things first, then. Renth, while we respect you and your Melee homies for building up Ganon's metagame in Melee, the fact remains that you guys did that IN MELEE ALONE. We're the ones who're currently engaged in improving Ganon's metagame IN BRAWL. You're not, and frankly, if the lot of you don't have anything more to contribute than elitism based on join dates and a pointless argument about semantics, then that's just pathetic.
They built the very foundation and basics of smash, which, whether you like it or not, carries on to Brawl. Shorthopping, FFalling, etcetc. Just general "ATs", which includes tech-chasing. ='/

Like: Calling the "Ken-combo", "Ken-combo", is just stupid.... It should obviously be called
"Dthrow ->Dthrow ->Dthrow ->Dthrow -> Fair ->Fair ->Fair ->Fair ->Fair ->Fair -> Dair", instead.
Too bad Ken originated that combo. I don't recall you guys ever originating the idea of "techchasing."

On-Topic: Wow, this is one cool technique. I need start using it in my game.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I call it aether spiking because it is spiking with aether >_>, the name is shorter but it in no way changed what it was. Hell, half the time I just call it spiking. The only reason it even has a name aside from ike's other spikes is because past like 10%, any of ike's other spikes will flat out kill someone, aether spiking is weak so if you say someone lived when they got spiked at 70 people are going to wonder how the hell they pulled it off.

"Chainchoking" is neither shorter nor less syllables than "tech chasing", so it's neither easier to write nor say audibly if you're about to bring up ease of reference >_>

Shut the **** up and start talking more about the application and execution of chainchoking.
Application = Someone's on their back
Execution = You see which way they move and possibly block, then side B towards where they got up at.
How one can hope to get out of it = They roll towards a ledge.

Really, did you think it was going to be much deeper than that?

TP

Smash Master
I just changed the OP slightly to fit what I had in mind when I typed it. You could argue this was a bit of a misinterpretation.
This is different from the murder choke tech chasing we know and love as Ganon mains. We used to predict what they would do and catch them if we were successful. This removes guessing from the equation by reacting after they have initiated their response.
See the difference? That is what I should have said from the start. Can we all die happy now?

hyperstation

Smash Lord

I'm sorry Youko, but if you're definition of "on-topic" is praising the technique, then I'm apologize on behalf of everyone in this thread. However, we're arguing the idea that was proclaimed in the OP.

The OP and the others are arguing that this is a new form of tech-chasing, one that, theoretically, can not be escaped etcetc. (read: Windmill of Fury) We have every right to question this "technique" and refute the idea that it is tech-chasing, not some other newly-discovered technique.

We can't just post an idea and be done with it. Questioning, debating, answering, all these factors strengthen the ideas even stronger.

On-Topic: Wow, this is one cool technique. I need start using it in my game.
Come on, now, Victra. No more of this passive-aggressive stuff. If you read all billion pages of this thread, you'll see there have been dissenters all along, Ganon mains and others, and the concept is still being unpacked, so of course, we are VERY interested in cutting away all the fat and getting down to the core of this.

Like I said above, TP is revising the OP. A lot (read: A LOT) has changed since the OP was made, and a lot has changed throughout the thread. I can only speak for myself, obviously, but my understanding of the technique, it's relationship to tech-chasing, and it's application in game has been changing really quickly, but the dozen or so posts in the past 5 pages of drama that actually do what you're saying (question, debate, answer) have strengthened my stance on Chainchoking, as I'm sure it has for others.

For instance, I'm not looking to Chainchoke someone ad infinitum and spike them if they go to a ledge, anymore. I'm looking to hone my reactions and put maybe 3-5 gerudos in a row, which refreshes my kill moves, dominates my opponents mind space, and gives me the momentum.

Even my video that I made, what, 4 days ago is outdated at this point in many regards, but it's still a useful resource, IMO. We're still working on this whole concept, and anyone who wants to contribute constructively is MORE THAN WELCOME.

"Chainchoking" is neither shorter nor less syllables than "tech chasing", so it's neither easier to write nor say audibly if you're about to bring up ease of reference >_>
It is, however, more specific. You can tech chase with a lot more than side B. Chainchoking implies that you choke and you choke and you choke and you choke. Chainchoking, quite literally, means you tech chase exclusively, expressly, and inescapably with Side B.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The name "Ken-combo"

Too bad Ken originated that combo. I don't recall you guys ever originating the idea of "techchasing."
So Brawl-Ganons side+b should be called "Sakurai combo", cause he invented it?

turtlecake

Smash Journeyman
I call it aether spiking because it is spiking with aether >_>, the name is shorter but it in no way changed what it was. Hell, half the time I just call it spiking. The only reason it even has a name aside from ike's other spikes is because past like 10%, any of ike's other spikes will flat out kill someone, aether spiking is weak so if you say someone lived when they got spiked at 70 people are going to wonder how the hell they pulled it off.

Oh then we should call foxes wavedash, umm furrydash. That's how stupid you sound. A spike is a spike. Some are strong, some are weak. Should we call falcos spike, "tornado death"? No. CAUSE IT'S A SPIKE.

If you say tech-chasing, then I know you are talking about tech-chasing. People will understand you when you say it

Unless you're a stupid brawl player

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Oh then we should call foxes wavedash, umm furrydash. That's how stupid you sound. A spike is a spike. Some are strong, some are weak. Should we call falcos spike, "tornado death"? No. CAUSE IT'S A SPIKE.

If you say tech-chasing, then I know you are talking about tech-chasing. People will understand you when you say it

You.....don't know how to read very well, do you?

Well, I guess that makes you a stupid Melee player. *Waits for Melee elitism to strike again*

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
You're actually kind of an idiot. And by that I don't mean only kind of an idiot, I mean a flat out idiot. I stated, in that quote you decided to spaz the **** out on, that half the time when I spike someone with aether I just say they got spiked. That means that at least half the time I feel no need to specify how they got spiked, or which move. Only in the instances where the difference between Aether and Ike's other, more powerful spikes actually matter (see: someone survived) do I bother to note the difference. Take your happy pills and shut up.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i dont play smash competitively... i play melee and barlw but cmon thats just wrong..
they are two COMPLETELY different games run on two COMPLETELY different engines, you cannot compare the two

anyways...
YES chainchoking IS tech chasing, is HAS been said, but it is trying to be changed into a frame-perfect tech chasing..

Chainchoking is easier to say than FRAME PERFECT Tech Chasing
=|
(plus it makes you sound smart)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
The name "Ken-combo"

So Brawl-Ganons side+b should be called "Sakurai combo", cause he invented it?
That made no sense. I don't care if you call Ganon's side+b "gerudo" or whatever. It was because you were referring tech-chasing as some new term (Chainchoking.)

Ken combo is legit because it wasn't done mainstream until Ken made it well-known and popular.

Tech-chasing is well-known and popular before any of you decided to press ->B as Ganondorf.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
ken created the "ken combo" in 2003 when he was playing with his friends. lol

multiple members of the smash community created the term tech chasing in late 2003 as well, to say the least.

so why should this be given a new name? please explain.

turtlecake

Smash Journeyman
i dont play smash competitively... i play melee and barlw but cmon thats just wrong..
they are two COMPLETELY different games run on two COMPLETELY different engines, you cannot compare the two

anyways...
YES chainchoking IS tech chasing, is HAS been said, but it is trying to be changed into a frame-perfect tech chasing..

Chainchoking is easier to say than FRAME PERFECT Tech Chasing
=|
(plus it makes you sound smart)

That's just good tech-chasing. Not some new ****ing term.

you guys are all gerudostupid

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Even brawl players are disagreeing with this ****.
w.. t.. f.. ?
That was pretty silly; You make it sound like every single Brawl player is against you melee players, just because they play Brawl :ohwell:
sorry, man.. but lulz

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord

That made no sense. I don't care if you call Ganon's side+b "gerudo" or whatever. It was because you were referring tech-chasing as some new term (Chainchoking.)

Ken combo is legit because it wasn't done mainstream until Ken made it well-known and popular.

Tech-chasing is well-known and popular before any of you decided to press ->B as Ganondorf.
Sweet Jestus, you really don't know when to shut up, do you? Go whine about the glory of Melee somewhere else. We have things that matter to deal with.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Sweet Jestus, you really don't know when to shut up, do you? Go whine about the glory of Melee somewhere else. We have things that matter to deal with.
This isn't it at all. I'm talking about fundamental basics of smash in general. Techchasing happens to be one of these basics.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
I find it funny how easy it is to get a brawl players panties in a bunch.

Also LOLOLOL @ things that matter. None of you remotely place well in tourney to make any of this "matter".

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
ken created the "ken combo" in 2003 when he was playing with his friends. lol

multiple members of the smash community created the term tech chasing in late 2003 as well, to say the least.

so why should this be given a new name? please explain.
Because Ganon potentially could make his tech chasing inescapable, much like a chaingrab, only it requires actual knowledge of other characters' animations, and isn't a standard grab.

What, do you have a problem with a group of people coming together and making up names for things their character can do? Who made you Queen of Nomenclature?

If you're that picky about it, go pick on the Samus and Ness boards for wanting to name every single move in their arsenal for fun.

turtlecake

Smash Journeyman
Because Ganon potentially could make his tech chasing inescapable, much like a chaingrab, only it requires actual knowledge of other characters' animations, and isn't a standard grab.

What, do you have a problem with a group of people coming together and making up names for things their character can do? Who made you Queen of Nomenclature?

If you're that picky about it, go pick on the Samus and Ness boards for wanting to name every single move in their arsenal for fun.

I have a problem cause it's known?

Oh if the samus and ness boards are doing it it's ok for you guys right?

Justifying stupidity.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Turtlecake and Anon, you guys aren't helping with your insults. =/

By no means am I trying to attack the idea of chainchoking and your attempt at achieving it frame perfect. Just understand that it isn't something new.

The OP changed his statement. This debate is over. (Over the idea of techchasing =Chainchoking anyways.)

Player-3

Smash Hero
Also LOLOLOL @ things that matter. None of you remotely place well in tourney to make any of this "matter".
Inorite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1lVoCuJIY&feature=channel_page
Thats the kind of **** that matters.
(i was speaking about MYSELF, NOT THE GANON BOARDS (i saw this as a flame comment soon as i posted <.<))
I mean really. You guys can name every ****ing thing you find, fine.

But at least make a good name.
Don't hate just because barlw players are not quite as "classy" as melee players
But we do have the Sakurai Combo...

Anonymous.

Smash Lord

Its not inescapable, lol.

Nothing. Just don't re name something thats been around since hmmm, 2003. Thats about 6 years of "tech chasing".

I don't want to bother, but this is just ********.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411

I'm not trying to define what you consider on-topic, I just know that it sure as hell isn't the semantics of a certain word that's caused a lot of headache in this topic.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Turtlecake and Anon, you guys aren't helping with your insults. =/

By no means am I trying to attack the idea of chainchoking and your attempt at achieving it frame perfect. Just understand that it isn't something new.

The OP changed his statement. This debate is over. (Over the idea of techchasing =Chainchoking anyways.)
Three cheers for Victory Victrary.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Personally I love the name "Skull crush punch", which a certain person came up with.:lick:

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
I have a problem cause it's known?

Oh if the samus and ness boards are doing it it's ok for you guys right?

Justifying stupidity.
...Says the guy who's going out of his way to argue a point that really doesn't concern him.

I suppose you know stupidity from that daily struggle of putting on a pair of rubber safety pants and bike helmet so you can strap into your safety harness for your daily walk around the park.

turtlecake

Smash Journeyman
...Says the guy who's going out of his way to argue a point that really doesn't concern him.

I suppose you know stupidity from that daily struggle of putting on a pair of rubber safety pants and bike helmet so you can strap into your safety harness for your daily walk around the park.

If I was mentally handicap, I'd be playing brawl.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I'm not trying to define what you consider on-topic, I just know that it sure as hell isn't the semantics of a certain word that's caused a lot of headache in this topic.
The origin of the debate was whether or not Chainchoking was or wasn't Techchasing. People then started refuting the definition of techchasing, etc etc.
Three cheers for Victory Victrary.
=D

<33

If I was mentally handicap, I'd be playing brawl.
Okay, that made me laugh.

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
Its not inescapable, lol.

Nothing. Just don't re name something thats been around since hmmm, 2003. Thats about 6 years of "tech chasing".

I don't want to bother, but this is just ********.
You must have selective reading, because I'm fairly certain of the word "potential" in my post. And how much Brawl Ganon do you play again?

Apparently you do have a problem with it, or you wouldn't be repeatedly posting as if it mattered.

Great. Go bother someone else, then.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Actually tech chasing is not new, but the idea of what we do or are trying to do with Chainchoking or whatever Tech Chase terminlogy makes you happy is.

Until recently we had no idea that we could Gerudo or Flame choke, or again whatever terminology pleases out of a GUA attack. We had no idea about this until it was talked about. If it was known about it obviously wasn't talked about until recently.

Even more importantly is that we've taken Chainchoking to be complete reaction. It might just be me, but whenver I was tech chasing I wasn't thinking about if he rolls this way or that I'll do this...I just made a move and hoped it worked. I never thought to think of the movement of a character.

And again as far as Nomenclature goes...its no big deal really.

Top Bottom