• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CEO 2011 Results Thread - Orlando, FL, June 10-12, 2011

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Whoa whoa whoa

When was drew ever a ****?
He's a nice guy, and he's a friend of mine.
Whats the beef taylor?

No offense.
I just don't want drama between people.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
**** everybody. falco mains stick together. since taylor didnt stick up for drew who is a falco main, taylor is officially not bird.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I like how you say "get wrecked" when I never get wrecked. If you were in the Falco threads you'd know what I mean. I know DJ Jack does.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
A message from Georgia: Hey, Florida, yeah, it's me, George. Listen, I know how you guys like how we've got our salt and all, but we don't make supply for you guys to sprinkle small portions of NaCl. Please, refrain from dumping mounds on each other. The salinity levels are much too high in the current state. I ask you for the sake of my inhabitants, please, LEAVE THE SALTFEST TO US.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I like how you say "get wrecked" when I never get wrecked. If you were in the Falco threads you'd know what I mean. I know DJ Jack does.
And iiiiii like how you avoided the question.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Anyhow, if the Smash community stepped it up instead of just sit back home and complain about a door fee, we MAY have been apart of that. I put emphasis on may because the Smash community may have stepped up and still not had been put in the video but we will never know because we didn't. It is what it is.

When I say we, I don't mean you. Everyone in the OP for the results stepped up. I'm talking about everyone who didn't show up for whatever reason and now Florida Smash has lost another major.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
honestly, if the fighter community as a whole are going to act the way they do towards our community, then no matter how convenient it is to be together, and how cool it would be, i honestly dont think its worth it. I swear literally every single time the term smash comes up in a shoryuken thread or people who play regular fighters and not smash, EVERYTHING is literally derogatory. The worst part is that alot of it is at the actual people, and not JUST the game itself.

i personally would love if we could at least get to the level of "we dont play/like your game, but we respect you playing it, and we at least know its just another fighter we dont play" instead of the current "herp derp smashers are virgins and dont shower and they play a platformer not a fighting game and they wouldn't be good at any other actual fighting game hurr durr"

obviously there are exceptions to this (see dtorr) but im definitely speaking as a whole here. Hell, even the melee players spewing hate at brawl has even died down some, and people thought that would never happen. And this is something thats been around even before the thoughts of CEO last year

we're all gamers. some on a hobby level, some on an enthusiast level, and some on a professional level. This level of hate just all seems so pointless man

Master Raven

Smash Master
Most of the people bashing Smash to the point where they take aim at the players are usually random nobodies from what I've seen. Smashers have also shown that they can get good at any other fighter. I don't even think the ****-talk GDX describes is limited to just Smash, but to certain other fighters as well. I've certainly seen similar shots with MK9.

I don't care if Smash is acceptable to SRK or not. Nothing wrong with just plain disliking it like GDX said, but if anyone goes so far as to insult the players themselves, they aren't worth any notable attention and that's just giving yourself a bad rep as far as that's concerned.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Although I had so much fun at the tournament, I was disappointed it was not a bigger turnout. I was initially expecting over 100 people (though that by no means affected my being there). It was still a great experience, but unfortunate that we won't have another one at CEO next time around. As mentioned, the Florida scene obviously could have done better to 'hype' it up, but the whole sticky situation definitely didn't help with attendance. I just don't know what we can do or change as a community to keep on these major organizations'/groups' tournament list. Is it the public's opinion of the Smash community that dissuades them to continue it, or attendance issues? I have yet to figure it out.

Also, forget it Xaltis. Just don't call me names for no reason. If you were referencing anything I didn't get it.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
maybe if you weren't a **** we'd have helped you at CEO.

Mink asked why you called me a **** (the question you never answered) and I personally hate being called that, so wanted an explanation. But never mind.

AfroQT

Smash Master
honestly, if the fighter community as a whole are going to act the way they do towards our community, then no matter how convenient it is to be together, and how cool it would be, i honestly dont think its worth it. I swear literally every single time the term smash comes up in a shoryuken thread or people who play regular fighters and not smash, EVERYTHING is literally derogatory. The worst part is that alot of it is at the actual people, and not JUST the game itself.

i personally would love if we could at least get to the level of "we dont play/like your game, but we respect you playing it, and we at least know its just another fighter we dont play" instead of the current "herp derp smashers are virgins and dont shower and they play a platformer not a fighting game and they wouldn't be good at any other actual fighting game hurr durr"

obviously there are exceptions to this (see dtorr) but im definitely speaking as a whole here. Hell, even the melee players spewing hate at brawl has even died down some, and people thought that would never happen. And this is something thats been around even before the thoughts of CEO last year

we're all gamers. some on a hobby level, some on an enthusiast level, and some on a professional level. This level of hate just all seems so pointless man
It's probably because Smash almost never shows up for their own game. CEO was a national for other fighting games and no one came for brawl or melee. How do u expect them to view smash lol. The community isolates itself.

황미영

Smash Champion
^ That pretty much.

CEO has been posted up for the longest time too, you can't blame people for not noticing. People should've hyped it up and talked about it to others.

Oh well me and the guy who ***** at multiple games took a picutre so I'm happy.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I'm talking about salt levels of all the hate we get as a whole from them. Our CEO attendance is on us not them

And again this random salt/hate is from.way before CEO was.even a thought

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
A friend of mine posted this on my facebook group thread for CEO and made some very valid points I felt I should share.

Main thing I have against Smash is less the players than the game itself. Melee had some redeeming qualities, but Brawl has sealed the deal -- you just CAN'T turn Smash into anything RESEMBLING a real, competitive fighting-game-ish experience without legislating it all to hell.

Doesn't help that Sakurai is openly contemptuous of the kind of elements that appeal to competitive Smashers and actively tries to SABOTAGE such play with mechanics like tripping. This **** will NEVER improve as Smash continues to iterate. Capcom kinda likes us, even when we yell at them. Nintendo hates you and wants you to go away.

Your game, basically, has no future -- and that's not really helped by the insular, highly abnormal player culture fostered by (a) the abnormally legislative nature of competitive Smash, and (b) the relatively low median age of your average Smasher.

Can you be a functional, freshly showered adult and play competitive Smash? Absolutely, and I'd put pretty much every Smash player in this thread in that group. Are you reflective of the norm? I don't think so.

Putting aside the bathing jokes, Smash skews younger than games like SF/Tekken. Less consistent attendance, less money to feed into the scene, lower maturity level, none of that can help your game compete with the likes of SF4. Your pot monsters don't provide nearly the material contribution that ours do, because they're younger and they don't have full control over their lives. Your efforts go to waste because half your community stays home because their mom wants them to mow the lawn.

The moral of that story is, stop wasting your time and actual TALENT on a game+community like Smash, and bring it to a game with an actual future, where you will be recognized and appreciated.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I agree with you to an extent. But if you saw what goes on at Nationals like Apex and Genesis it would change your mind (those tourneys are easily on par with CEO 2011 as far as attendance, and hype). The reality is that CEO would never be hype for smash, partially because it was in FL (Winterfest left a bad taste in peoples mouths, and FL has never been a really desirable place to travel to for various reasons).

I apologize that the smash community didn't make hosting it at CEO worth your while, but using that as a generalization across the US is a mistake, because when tourneys on the scale of CEO exclusively for smash are held, **** goes down...

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
See Jebailey I can appreciate your post because you gave an actual explanation rather than random herp derp.

I honestly want the fighter community to just get to the point of "your fighting game sucks" . At least admitting its a fighting game is a step up from the current. I still feel a lot of the jokes towards actual players is alittle uncalled for but what ate you gonna do

It is a shame in regards to the state of our game though. I feel like I'm playing a mmo in its final year. Still really fun and still fun community but the attendance is dwindling for various reasons.

I have too much fun with this community so ill never quit until it quits first but I'm definitely open to joining the srk community as well. I actually plan to go to ae tourneys. And maybe 3SO cause I love the character makoto. I just hope people are more tolerant in person cause online they a bunch of *******s

Anyway thanks Jebailey for the post. I really do appreciate it

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
I agree with you to an extent. But if you saw what goes on at Nationals like Apex and Genesis it would change your mind (those tourneys are easily on par with CEO 2011 as far as attendance, and hype). The reality is that CEO would never be hype for smash, partially because it was in FL (Winterfest left a bad taste in peoples mouths, and FL has never been a really desirable place to travel to for various reasons).

I apologize that the smash community didn't make hosting it at CEO worth your while, but using that as a generalization across the US is a mistake, because when tourneys on the scale of CEO exclusively for smash are held, **** goes down...
Oh I know and agree with the other Majors for Smash that have been great successes. I know all about the downfall of Plank and Pound V after he brought you guys amazing tournaments year after year but then he wanted to raise the standard for your venues and it failed because all the smashers he once trusted that supported him decided they couldn't afford to go a much better overall venue. I'm not taking away from other Areas that have hosted Smash and quite frankly I'm shocked that some of them still have turnouts for a 10 year old Game with a rule list so long it deserves it's own Encyclopedia Volume.

Also CEO 2011 proved Florida is not a black sheep and a non desirable place to visit, after I had all of the top Fighting Game Pros they all praised Orlando and the Venue I had as one of the greatest venues and places to travel to for a video game tournament PERIOD.Nobody ever thought a Fighting Game Major could succeed in Florida for ANY game, but that was proven wrong 100%.

I simply wanted to bring the Smash Community a good level of hype and have a respected TO like myself put you guys back no the map on Florida, but it didn't work out like that and I'm not gonna waste all my dedication and hard work to keep trying. MLG dropped Smash, EVO Dropped Smash, I'm only fooling myself and the communities who appreciate me to keep trying.

As for the SRK community always picking on you guys, everyone likes to make fun of each other, but generally people make fun of scenes from their own personal experiences and not from word of mouth. Most of you forget or don't know, I played a ton of Melee(Peach User) And won a few tourneys and always placed high, Then Brawl came out and from day One I KNEW Meta Knight would be the end of that game so I dropped it real fast. You guys should just have fun with the game and support your Smash Specific Scenes that have established scenes and tourneys, If you don't support it then it'll just disappear like most older fighting games, but that's no longer going to be my problem to think about :).

Top Bottom