• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CEO 2011 Results Thread - Orlando, FL, June 10-12, 2011

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Okay well I was chatting with Ang on AIM a bit. He's just upset that Jebailey seems to be putting the smashers that went in the same boat as the ones who neglected his event. I can understand him on that point. I just believe we(the ones who went) are just unfortunate targets of Jebailey frustration towards the smash community in general. I understand that frustration enough that I can look past his comments to us. He probably doesn't to offend us(again, the smashers who attended). Maybe I'm just very forgiving, I dunno. Anyway I'm going to move on from this. What happened(good and bad), happened.

:rosalina:

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
Guys lol. I was just trolling about the copyright infringement. Didn't think it would go this far and people would think I'd actually get YouTube accounts banned lol. I told everyone in the smash tourney post you could do and record whatever all weekend :). Just be kind and out CEO 2011 along with the videos and website if you could. Www.ceogaming.org

Thanks for allowing me to jebait you guys. Call me a jerk all you want but I deserve an award for the best troll this year.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Guys lol. I was just trolling about the copyright infringement. Didn't think it would go this far and people would think I'd actually get YouTube accounts banned lol. I told everyone in the smash tourney post you could do and record whatever all weekend :). Just be kind and out CEO 2011 along with the videos and website if you could. Www.ceogaming.org

Thanks for allowing me to jebait you guys. Call me a jerk all you want but I deserve an award for the best troll this year.
I knew it couldn't be serious, but still, telling us to leave smash is lame.

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
I knew it couldn't be serious, but still, telling us to leave smash is lame.
That was my friend telling me to not keep trying to involve smash with CEO. I wrote somewhere up there that you guys should continue to play this game and the games you enjoy.

To everyone that did attend trust me I appreciated you for coming out very much and I'm glad you all had a great time.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
He wouldn't have reposted it if he didn't agree with it.
If you want to see it that way, then by all means do. To be honest, if I wasn't working, I would've reposted it myself to show an honest viewpoint from a respective member of the CFL FGC. It is what it is though.

Big money is the only reason pro players go, or being on a circuit/road to something. I only said what I said because in the FB post it said that they get all the sponsors and all the big money.
Oh how little you know. Tournament Legacy, a tourney series from California, decided to put their tournament ReveLAtions on the same weekend of CEO 2011. ReveLAtions promised much more money, thousands and thousand more. You know what? USA's best player, who lives in California, decided to still go to CEO because CEO had the date first. Other great players followed. Only player that CHOSE to go the West Coast tourney (that didn't live on the West Coast) was Daigo Umehara. Also, ReveLAtions had more sponsors than CEO. You know how the community responded? 300+ entrants for both SSFIV and MvC3 for CEO, barely 100+ for ReveLAtions. Even the creator for Tekken himself, Harada-San showed up to CEO rather than ReveLAtions. That's a HUGE honor in itself, quite a big deal and those who understand can attest to this.

It's quite funny you bring up Big Money. Did you know Mew2King decided not to go to CEO because a tournament called SiiS5 was supposed to be a big tournament. Despite CEO having the weekend first, having it set for about 3 months prior, Mew2King wanted the money and didn't support the event that secured the date first. Talk about a greedy *******. I wonder how much money he won since there was only 63 entrants. Serves him right.

*also, I wrote your name full M2K so you could namesearch this, ****** *** ******

EDIT: How big did he want smash to be? There wasn't that much room in there for 100+ more smashers anyway.
Yeah, he expected Smash to do well. CEO 2010 was a big success for a tournament with only 3 weeks of preparation due to the fiasco that GAMME turned out to be. Dr. Peepee, Kadaj, and NC showed up. Georgia Melee showed up. Candy and Chu Dat showed up. Also, Plank helped start CEO through his initiative to get as far away from GAMME as soon as possible. Even with that, Jebailey still put all the money down for the venue for CEO 2010, or almost all the money so in that aspect, CEO is Jebailey's child. With both communties helping each other out big, I'm pretty sure Jebailey felt that CEO 2011 would be even bigger. It was for the FGC, it obviously wasn't for the Smash community and the rest is history.

Also, the space delegated for smash was originally not that small. However, the Smash community didn't pre-register in time and/or didn't support CEO. Hence, the 12 setup limitation for Smash.

no MK9 next year? thats the only relatively big game i can think of that would be dropped

maybe soul calibur IV? but then again V should be out soon right

3SO better be there though. Im so hyped to learn some makoto :laugh:
CEO 2012 will definitely have AE and MvC3. Due to Harada-San's presence at CEO 2011, I believe TTT2 will be there as well. It may have a chance of not being a great game, but Jebailey would still have it as a token in Harada-San's honor.

MK9 is a wild card. NRS continues to mess with characters, even the ones who aren't broken, and that may turn people off the game. What NRS has to do is just fix what needs to be fixed and run with it for a while to let the game grow and flourish as much as it may possibly grow.

As for the last few games, it depends. SFxT looks hype and seems to be geared not towards the casual gamer, which SSFIV and MvC3 were made for to revive the fighting game genre. That can be good because many players have been waiting for a game that rewards skill more than the flashy comeback. SoulCalV may be on the list of games. Hopefully SoulCalV will be geared towards competitiveness rather than fan service which SoulCalIV was. Lastly, 3SO will definitely be hype but the community has to back it. AE will still bring in more players so 3SO is gonna have to compete with that so it doesn't just become a side tournament game.

As for Arcana Heart and BlazBlue, their communities haven't shown to grow as much as the ones talked about above.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Flash was asked about this on the OS stream this past monday. Simple doesn't mean it'll have any less depth. So far in the builds, it's simplicity doesn't get you ****. The LMH Launcher LMH Launcher doesn't net you as much reward as actually tag cancelling during combos. Also, throws have a less window than in SSFIV to deter tick grab setups. We have to earn our wins now, no miraculous comeback system like in SSFIV and MvC3. The only thing I see as trying to bring in the casual gamer is the random extra characters they are planning on putting in.

It's still in development though so everything I said could change.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
If they care that much, get a real job >.<
He's jokingly replying to how I called smashers money hungry.

You should tell that to the smashers since they are the money hungry ones. I already showed you that more big names went to CEO than to ReveLAtions despite ReveLAtions having more sponsors and more money to give.

Then again, I probably shouldn't even bother, since you are not even comprehensively reading my posts.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
Meh, if Smash was at the next one it would be hyped properly, but w.e Jebailey doesn't want it. Not much one can do at that point lol.

Just have to do it on our own. All we really need is a venue suitable for a national.

I'm sad though, since the whole idea started with me wanting to make up for GAMME when no one stepped up. I offered to run a Smash national, and Jebailey called me of course with the intention of working together. He organized and funded the whole thing pretty much, but I'm sad something I helped create the origin of and perpetuate forward from the very beginning now has dropped the game I was supporting.

I don't appreciate the way other communities treat us though. Yeah, we're poor. Yeah we're younger. Yeah, we play Smash Bros. Yeah, you guys are bigger and have more funding and sponsors. We just want to have a good tournament experience playing the game we love. In hopes of that, we had CEO in not only Florida, but central Florida. The hype I gave to CEO2010 was exponential in comparison to what I did this year. I was busy with life, and overlooked my job in this event.

Is our game dying? I wouldn't say so. There's still players, it's simply the fact that those very players rely on more available tournaments, and shaky guarantees on attendance.

I still don't see what went wrong this year. We got stuff done. In less than a day and a half. We had our corner, our setups brought by our own players, our own moments of hype. I loved the experience, and getting to see all kinds of talent created by other players from other communities.

However, I just don't think you take us seriously, Jebailey. Not going to ostracize or criticize anyone here. Our community is what it is. If you really don't want Smash at all and choose to treat it like a plague, then it's back to House tournaments for me.

WATO15 is on July 30th.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=109200302506354

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Where were you all those times I got attacked? T_T
I don't deal with matters that deal with personal preference or opinion (i.e. what anime is better, what game is better, etc), because I won't force an opinion on anyone. I only deal with concrete matters, as this claim that Jebailey and CEO was about the money instead of the community which was not the case.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I don't deal with matters that deal with personal preference or opinion (i.e. what anime is better, what game is better, etc), because I won't force an opinion on anyone. I only deal with concrete matters, as this claim that Jebailey and CEO was about the money instead of the community which was not the case.
I wasn't talk about that, I meant when lies were said about me and all that.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Meh, if Smash was at the next one it would be hyped properly, but w.e Jebailey doesn't want it. Not much one can do at that point lol.

Just have to do it on our own. All we really need is a venue suitable for a national.

I'm sad though, since the whole idea started with me wanting to make up for GAMME when no one stepped up. I offered to run a Smash national, and Jebailey called me of course with the intention of working together. He organized and funded the whole thing pretty much, but I'm sad something I helped create the origin of and perpetuate forward from the very beginning now has dropped the game I was supporting.

I don't appreciate the way other communities treat us though. Yeah, we're poor. Yeah we're younger. Yeah, we play Smash Bros. Yeah, you guys are bigger and have more funding and sponsors. We just want to have a good tournament experience playing the game we love. In hopes of that, we had CEO in not only Florida, but central Florida. The hype I gave to CEO2010 was exponential in comparison to what I did this year. I was busy with life, and overlooked my job in this event.

Is our game dying? I wouldn't say so. There's still players, it's simply the fact that those very players rely on more available tournaments, and shaky guarantees on attendance.

I still don't see what went wrong this year. We got stuff done. In less than a day and a half. We had our corner, our setups brought by our own players, our own moments of hype. I loved the experience, and getting to see all kinds of talent created by other players from other communities.

However, I just don't think you take us seriously, Jebailey. Not going to ostracize or criticize anyone here. Our community is what it is. If you really don't want Smash at all and choose to treat it like a plague, then it's back to House tournaments for me.

WATO15 is on July 30th.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=109200302506354
Sorry Juan but this is ridiculous. I love smash as a game and I devoted a lot of time to this community, but accusing Alex of "not taking us seriously" is just ridiculous. Nobody takes smash seriously because they ruin every good opportunity they are given.

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
Sorry Juan but this is ridiculous. I love smash as a game and I devoted a lot of time to this community, but accusing Alex of "not taking us seriously" is just ridiculous. Nobody takes smash seriously because they ruin every good opportunity they are given.
Completely Agreed. I was the only one willing to take you guys seriously after every other Big event dropped Smash, but I got accused of being a money grabber and thief for trying to give you guys a great environment to compete in.

Juan you're a super smart kid with an insanely bright future, but when you went MIA for 3 months before CEO 2011 how the heck else was I supposed to think of Smash in preparations of this event when I had over 20,000 of my own Money risked on the line.

I'm not gonna go through that again and have to stress/worry about who's running Smash until the day of the tournament, like I said if it wasn't for D-Torr Stepping up to the plate Smash would of been a total disaster. Real life may be more important, but you could of told me that 3 months ago and said, I can't be of any help this year like last year so find someone else to run things.

Majors don't work like that, you can't wait til the last second to jump on board again and run whatever turns out for the event.

Not putting any blame on you, but this is another huge factor as to why I won't have Smash again.

CEO has the potential to become one of the biggest Fighting Game events every year and I'm doing what's best for the brand to grow and stick with the consistent following I've acquired in the past 2 years with Street Fighter.

Majority of Smash kids don't want to pay to attend a Major unless it's solely smash, and even then if a door fee is about 10 bucks they won't go. Honestly I laughed really hard when that Ohio tourney with over 1 million replies or something ended up with a crappy turnout.

I can't believe I almost catered to M2K and was willing to hold off lol. Serves him right for attending the other tourney. I mean **** if that event couldn't get a huge turnout with all that forum hype, why the heck should I even try to mimic or compete with that.

Again to all the smashers that came out this year I really appreciated it and I'm glad most of you had a good time, but next year room has to be dedicated to all of the other fighting games coming out. I don't plan to have a tournament for any game older than 2 years.

D-Torr I'll be glad to have you back on staff to help run other games if interested, Same goes to Neil/Juan of course, but anyone who can't dedicate themselves like my entire staff did this year isn't gonna benefit the growth of the event.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Well, if you actually took into account that the members of the smash community are usually young, you wouldn't ever expect a very high turnout at an event that happens in the month of JUNE (because yep, many smashers still go to school).

You also would have taken into account that smashers would rather spend their money on a big national event that involves only smash and is GUARANTEED to have insane hype, like Genesis 2.

Oh wait, Genesis happens almost exactly one month after CEO, what a surprise, low attendance in CEO. -.-

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
Well, if you actually took into account that the members of the smash community are usually young, you wouldn't ever expect a very high turnout at an event that happens in the month of JUNE (because yep, many smashers still go to school).

You also would have taken into account that smashers would rather spend their money on a big national event that involves only smash and is GUARANTEED to have insane hype, like Genesis 2.

Oh wait, Genesis happens almost exactly one month after CEO, what a surprise, low attendance in CEO. -.-
Ya know realistically speaking the whole age thing shouldn't have a factor anymore. Melee is like what 10 years old now, and Brawl is like 7 or 8? Which means most of the young players that played the game since day one and still do should be in their like early 20's. I highly doubt those games keep bringing in new players that are in their early teens. It's the same people playing for years and the same people that keep shooting their own community in the foot.

PS this isn't really about low attendance, to be honest it actually had a decent turnout, just not a huge one like the other games. It's about Smashers not trying to support people that are trying to bring them bigger and better things, they just want to stay happy in their cramped little spaces and fit 20 people to a hotel room. That doesn't help any community grow.

OverLade

Smash Hero
To be honest Jebailey I think CEO had a lot of potential and it's not entirely Florida's fault. This year has been a disaster on the national smash scale. People tried to hard. There has been a "national" tourney every single month. They've been scaled too close together. Back when tourneys like Apex got ridiculous amounts of hype it's because they werent so common. But this year with WHOBO, CEO, Clash of the Titans and Genesis all so close together it's really difficult for people to travel.

I really wish things had worked out but it just doesn't seem meant to be. Anyway I'll be at CEO 2012 regardless for Marvel. Good ****.

smash is a dead end game nuff said :\
Believe what you want, along with the rest of SFL.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Ya know realistically speaking the whole age thing shouldn't have a factor anymore. Melee is like what 10 years old now, and Brawl is like 7 or 8? Which means most of the young players that played the game since day one and still do should be in their like early 20's. I highly doubt those games keep bringing in new players that are in their early teens. It's the same people playing for years and the same people that keep shooting their own community in the foot.

PS this isn't really about low attendance, to be honest it actually had a decent turnout, just not a huge one like the other games. It's about Smashers not trying to support people that are trying to bring them bigger and better things, they just want to stay happy in their cramped little spaces and fit 20 people to a hotel room. That doesn't help any community grow.
Brawl was released in spring 2008. 3 and a half years ago. Nice try bro.

Uhhh and 20 people per hotel room at Pound V only happened because smashers actually have fun playing their game all night. A shame they made it really complicated for Plank financially, but Plank was extremely naive to rely on smashers to obey the 4 people per room rule. Call us immature, but if people are immature, you have to take REALISTIC measures to handle them.

And why exactly are you generalizing smash based on Pound V? It's not like scandals like that happen that often.

Genesis 2 will be massive and great. Apex 2012 will be fantastic too. I don't see how multi game events would ever help smash that much. TO's of such events rarely make an effort to put any kind of spotlight on the smash community and you don't really see many people from other fighting games willing to try smash.

More reasons for you to drop smash I guess.

Most smashers don't play the game for the same reasons people play SSFIV or MvC3. Smash is not new, smash was never really meant (even in Melee) to be competitive and smash is never automatically going to have a massive tournament scene with loads of money and sponsors like "traditional" fighting games (even though we do have one and it works decently).

Smashers play because they really really love the game and that the community is amazing.

That's what smash is. We might "cling desperately to our game" but the community is what drives it, not the money and not the novelty.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
sfl sucks cfl for life. anyway its all really mlg's fault rofl forcing to's to host later haha

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
Brawl was released in spring 2008. 3 and a half years ago. Nice try bro.

Uhhh and 20 people per hotel room at Pound V only happened because smashers actually have fun playing their game all night. A shame they made it really complicated for Plank financially, but Plank was extremely naive to rely on smashers to obey the 4 people per room rule. Call us immature, but if people are immature, you have to take REALISTIC measures to handle them.

And why exactly are you generalizing smash based on Pound V? It's not like scandals like that happen that often.

Genesis 2 will be massive and great. Apex 2012 will be fantastic too. I don't see how multi game events would ever help smash that much. TO's of such events rarely make an effort to put any kind of spotlight on the smash community and you don't really see many people from other fighting games willing to try smash.

More reasons for you to drop smash I guess.

Most smashers don't play the game for the same reasons people play SSFIV or MvC3. Smash is not new, smash was never really meant (even in Melee) to be competitive and smash is never automatically going to have a massive tournament scene with loads of money and sponsors like "traditional" fighting games (even though we do have one and it works decently).

Smashers play because they really really love the game and that the community is amazing.

That's what smash is. We might "cling desperately to our game" but the community is what drives it, not the money and not the novelty.

All Very Valid Points Thank you.

I wasn't just basing it off Plank's big mishap, but you can't bash him for trying to go big for you guys and it did fail for him being naive I guess. At CEO 2011 I booked over 450 Room nights, I think only 5-10 nights were from smashers. So from trial and error if My goal is to fill a hotel, then trying to add smash to accomplishment has proven to be the worst idea in tournament history. Which is why I'm being completely realistic from this point on with CEO events.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
jebailey dont feed these smash trolls bro, its an endless cycle, trust me :\

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
jebailey dont feed these smash trolls bro, its an endless cycle, trust me :\
It's cool, it helps me pass the time at work. I enjoy seeing them trying to explain what makes their community so great all the while they even agree they'd never shell out themselves to support big majors by helping the organizers fill up quotas to just succeed and keep putting on events.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
It's cool, it helps me pass the time at work. I enjoy seeing them trying to explain what makes their community so great all the while they even agree they'd never shell out themselves to support big majors by helping the organizers fill up quotas to just succeed and keep putting on events.
I don't mind what people say about our community if its bad or not. I like the people I play smash with. I have SFL and CFL and others in our areas. I'm happy with that, we don't need a really big community. Hate us or not were here to stay. Atleast I am ^_^

Exdeath

Smash Master
It doesn't even just come down to age or unwillingness to do our part. I drove ~2 hours (I admit that this is significantly less than I drive for weekly Smashfests) and spent money to enter the venue with no intention of entering the tournament, but rather I came to assist my friend D-Torr with running the tournament. I work multiple jobs and I help take care of my family. Smash is my social life and I consider most of the Smash community to be a pseudo-family.

I may want to get a hotel room, but I have other obligations to attend to, and if I did have the ability to spend a full weekend at a tournament and the spare cash to do so, I would be in a room full of Smashers in order to save money. Since when is it wrong to be thrifty? Making it cheaper on the community at large opens up other potential venues for the TO. One in particular that the Smash community is good about is donations.

Although there is plenty of blame to be spread around, I see the most damage to the Smash community coming from a few dishonest TOs and a scam artist. Contrary to what you said, there were two large Smash tournaments in Florida before C.E.O.: FAST2 and Winterfest. The former was a success that led to the good attendance to the latter. Winterfest, however, was not legitimate with its use of the community's money and Florida is still a dark spot for Smash as a result. Even so, there was a lesson to be learned; don't trust those without a strong reputation with important responsibility. This, however, had history as being incorrect in the past, as the community should have already known from Manacloud and Ken, but learned again with Plank.

One of the major issues that I have with how Plank handled Pound V wasn't his risky business decision, but rather that the vast majority of that risk was paid for by the winners of Pound V.

Had Plank asked for the community's help, I'm sure that he would have received it, however he took the decision away from it and used money that wasn't his to pay for his decision. Even then, the community donated money to make up for the stolen money. Perhaps you could ask the community ahead of time for fall-back money for the tournament.

Obviously this is all my opinion, and I'm sick and tired from a considerable lack of sleep, so it probably isn't much of a good one right now.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Because your "big major" was sadly not set up at the right time to have big attendance for smash.

I'll make it simple.

CEO 2010 was up when the only major thing going on for smash in the summer was MLG. Apex 2010 was in August. Therefore you had a nice attendance.

CEO 2011 happened one month before Genesis 2.
  1. Most smashers are poor.
  2. Most of them have to choose between two events for the summer.
  3. Virtually all smashers who love their game will logically pick Genesis 2.

I can safely say that the only people who went to your tournament are local players and people who have enough money and time to go to both CEO and Genesis 2.

It was more of a bad coincidence than smashers not wanting to "shell out themselves". That's all there is to it. If you think we MIND having a bit of spotlight, that "our game is dead", that we're "shooting ourselves in the foot", you're completely wrong. You're interpreting things way too deeply.

Also, lol DFEAR I don't know what you're doing in smashboards except being a total ********** and calling us trolls when in fact you're the only one in this thread who seems to be trolling.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Also, lol DFEAR I don't know what you're doing in smashboards except being a total ********** and calling us trolls when in fact you're the only one in this thread who seems to be trolling.
He plays Smash and in fact he placed top 5 at C.E.O. 2011 SSBB Singles. He is also an active member of the Floridian Smash scene.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
Well written post, king funk but it's a waste of time. The bias 2d players have on smash will never fade.

Until I become the best at mvc3 and convert everyone

Top Bottom