• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
hmm.... welp, something i will mention is that i generally only do it when i'm pretty far away from my opponent. i would never do it INSIDE of falco's nair range.

try thinking of it as a (much, much, much, much) worse version of peach's float: peach can float around a range where it's incredibly ambiguous whether or not you can punish her. if you try too hard to push into her, you're going to miss, and you're going to get punished with a slap in the face. if you give her too much respect, she can float into you and push you to the edge all day.

marth doesn't have peach's amazing fair, though.

marth in the air isn't AS MUCH of a sitting duck as you're making him out to be, IMO. when he's in the air, he can prolong how long he's in the air and dodge your attempts to challenge him by using his double jump and by using the tiny float from his forward B (pretty situational, but still). if he needs to get back to the ground ASAP, then he can fast-fall to the ground. sure, marth is vulnerable in the air, but he's not FREE. if marth is able to make falco whiff an attack, then he's already come out on top of the exchange.

also, crimson brought up a really important point that i forgot to argue:

aerial marth can be used AS A SUPPLEMENT to grounded marth. i feel like pigeon-holing yourself into playing grounded marth exclusively, even if it's the most "efficient" way to play marth. by limiting yourself to the ground, you're missing out on a lot of room to "play with" your opponent. every single facet of depth you add to your game makes it that much harder for the opponent to figure you out and lock you down, and i think that ignoring marth's (albeit limited) aerial capacity makes you more predictable, to an extent. conversely, using both aerial and grounded marth in the right situations will make you more unpredictable, and that small bit goes a very very long way, and i'm about to explain why:

it takes time for an opponent to optimally adapt to your aerial play. they're probably not going to zero-on to you after the first time. maybe not even the second time. however, once your opponent shifts himself to a style of play suited to punish you for going in the air, then yeah, you'll lose those exchanges. however, if your opponent adapts to you, he HAS to sacrifice something. that's how adaptation works, for the most part. his ground game will then become a little bit weaker, allowing you to shift back to your own ground game to beat him. this is why i think all options should be explored, and not just the ones that are strongest on paper. even if an option is "bad," it will create a degree of uncertainty in your opponent's mind, which shifts the pressure away from your core game.

i know it's a different character, but look at S2J's falcon. he uses fullhops and double jumps quite a bit, if my impression of his playstyle serves me correctly. he's able to play a mindgame with his opponent by utilizing every guessing game he can. he's able to use falcon's air game by mixing safe hopping mixed in with actual, risk-taking aggression, and he's able to take those risk because he puts so much work into conditioning and throwing-off his opponent.

whenever you're in the air, yes, you're vulnerable due to gravity. however, your opponent has to think of spacing in two dimensions, rather than one, which is a lot harder to do than playing the pure ground game.

try watching taj's marth. he fullhops quite a fair amount. this isn't the BEST example, but hopefully it can kinda illustrate what i'm trying to say. watch this until the end of the match. taj lands the first dair on mango by using the float from his forward B to delay his landing just a little bit, throwing off mango's timing and enabling him to get the successful bait. then watch how he plays the next stock after mango respawns. he does a waveland to juke mango's attempts to swing at him. THEN HE DOES A QUICK FULLHOP FAST FALL TO BAIT A BAIR FROM MANGO, which could have set him up to win the set. yeah, mango could have played that situation a little more safely (short hopping his bair instead of committing to it so hard), but i honestly think that taj would have been able to punish a short-hopped bair, as well, although he might've had to work a little harder for it.

when i think about it in my head, i almost never hit the opponent when i'm IN the air and descending on them. i usually find some sort of advantage after i've already landed, so pretty much, i use it exclusively as a tool for baiting, and if they challenge me and don't fall for the bait, it becomes a tool for encroaching.

D

Deleted member

Umbreon, what do you recommend doing after dthrowing people? Do you focus mostly on just regrabbing and working them towards the edge, or is the point of dthrow to lead into Marth's combo game easier? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why you would not dial-a-combo once you get the opening...
you initiate dial-a-combo when it's the best punish AND it lets your keep position. as marth, you never have any reason to forfeit position once you have it because he's so good at keeping it simply with reaction. for example, if you downthrow an opponent off the edge, your positional advantage is clear. if you downthrow them for advantage on the stage, it's so that you get a large time window to react to their movement, or to get them closer to the edge, so it can be either positional or timing advantage. to me, the selling point of downthrow is predominantly creating a time window that you can react to though. downthrow on falcon makes total sense, because you can easily react to whatever he does and...do it again just like charles already said. it's excellent there.

to answer you directly, i recommend that you react to your opponent in such a way that lets you keep advantage. if this means downthrowing your opponent to 80 to a free edge guard, you should do that. so long as your opponent can't do anything about it, it's just as reliable as a death chaingrab or a kill combo. the guaranteed factor is what makes those strategies so strong to begin with. if keeping your advantage means you go for the dial-a-combo, you do that instead. if you think you can dial-a-combo but that the opponent will get out 40% later, i don't think you should forfeit that advantage. engaging the opponent from neutral is not worth 40% the same way it is for say fox.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
this isn't from zhu vs pewpewu necessarily (im speaking from experience rather than the match), but i guess i'll try to share some random tidbits about the marth vs falco MU since we're on the subject:

-you don't really have to be scared of getting hit by his lasers. sometimes, whenever falco hits you with a laser, he overestimates how long you're stunned, and then he thinks he's a little bit safer to go in or a little safer to retreat, so a lot of the time against falcos, i'll intentionally get hit by a laser and then immediately DD grab an approach from them or just man-mode my way through the laser and go in. for example, something i think i remember seeing a few times in pewpewu vs zhu, pewpewu would like, jump at zhu, get hit by a laser, (smash DI in to close the gap, possibly), and then just fair after getting hit by it.

-don't rely 100% on shielding in the neutral game. shielding is an important part of your mobility, but when you're in shield, you can't dash. yes, you can wavedash OOS and stuff, but it's NOT THE SAME. the small details in movement make a huge difference. wavedashes are a lot slower and easier to see than regular dashes, so if you're trapped in shield all the time, falco can lock you down a little more effectively knowing that you're not able to make huge adjustments in positioning with a giant dash back or a dash attack or something of the sort.

-empty fullhops and double jumps with wavelands are really nice to mix in with your neutral game IMO. you jump over a few lasers and then make it look like you're trying to go hard and hit falco. if he's convinced you're going to try to swing at him, then he can do 1 of 2 things: a) he'll try to challenge you, in which case, you can bait out his counterattack by wavelanding back or landing outside of his range. b) he'll try to retreat from you, in which case, you have successfully tricked him into surrendering a large chunk of space for free, and you have a fair amount of time to try to follow his retreat with your own aggression.

-something else i remember seeing zhu get punished a lot by is like.... pewpewu would run in with a shield to close a small amount of distance and scare zhu into making an aggressive mistake, which marth punished easily with an easy fair/nair out of shield or WD back. as i said earlier, shielding is an invaluable part of marth's movement game if you know how to use it effectively, and it's no exception vs falco. the defensive side to this situation would be pewpewu running in with a shield, zhu retreating, and then marth calling this retreat by wavedashing forward out of shield (or some other way of aggressing) or some other silliness.

-i know you guys hate counter, but i do think that counter is a good move to use from time to time against falco (ESPECIALLY AXE'S FALCO) if you choose your spots well. since falco's able to lock you down and throw so much **** at you, one well-placed counter can throw a lot of doubt into his mind about how he can approach you.

-falco kinda relies on being able to control the pace of the match, so the more you're able to throw him off balance with small things like this, the better shape you're in.
the first thing you mentioned was something I realized after talking to KK, just taking a laser then moving is sooo sooo good. It means that only perfectly spaced lasers give falco the followup he needs...and hitting those perfect laser spacings isn't that common..if falco is really lasering that much then you should just hit him out of his lasers.

on counter, i would just make sure to choose your percents and positions for counter wisely..if you have few good options, then counter tends to be good..if hitting the counter will give you really good stage position, then it's often worth going for.

if falco will be in position to combo you for 40+ if you're wrong then it''s not nearly as good as when falco will probably just get two hits....if you're going to die if you're wrong it's probably not worth it.

Honestly using counter well is really difficult. I think most players end up either not using it or overusing it in bad spots. It's just hard to be aware of all the factors involved.

"-empty fullhops and double jumps with wavelands are really nice to mix in with your neutral game IMO. you jump over a few lasers and then make it look like you're trying to go hard and hit falco. if he's convinced you're going to try to swing at him, then he can do 1 of 2 things: a) he'll try to challenge you, in which case, you can bait out his counterattack by wavelanding back or landing outside of his range. b) he'll try to retreat from you, in which case, you have successfully tricked him into surrendering a large chunk of space for free, and you have a fair amount of time to try to follow his retreat with your own aggression.
"

i never thought of how good spacing slightly out of range is off of full hop before. I use it a lot vs jiggs, but this sounds like it would be really good vs falco.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
The great thing about the aerial style is that its actually self-sufficient. If you want to see a set where a Marth wins almost purely aerially, and with (nearly) no ground game, check out the recent Mooninite v DP sets uploaded on tanarmygaming. Moon has a few poorly spaced sequences, but his successes are super solid.

Adding the aerial style to a strong ground game makes it much much better, for the reasons TAI mentioned, and because it typically makes the Falco change up his priorities. For example, lets say you are on a side platform and a Falco is lasering on the ground away from you. If you've established a dominant ground game, hes going to do everything in his power to stop you from dropping from that platform to the ground. He'll laser at a much faster pace, and try to intercept you as you try to claim a safe spot with a shield.

Show him you can drop on his head with a fair for any hasty laser though and he'll think twice. His laser pace will be slow; he'll respect your threat. You'll be able to capture ground a lot easier, and Falco won't be able to establish positional control...instead of only worrying about runoff fair or drop through fair, he has a lot more going through his head. Thats a massive gain for Marth, and forces Falco play at Marth's tempo in more positions than just on the ground.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Uthrowing fast fallers onto a platform and quicklanding to read their get up and regrabbing is the most gangster thing ever.

Beat!

Smash Master
Does anyone have any edgeguarding tips against Samus? Seems like I have a lot of trouble getting non-fsmash tipper kills against her.
Patience.

I could go into some specific stuff (don't have time atm), but pretty much all of it all boils down to patience. Her off stage game is very limited, especially if she's already used her grapple. Don't try to force opportunities. Wait for them.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Patience.

I could go into some specific stuff (don't have time atm), but pretty much all of it all boils down to patience. Her off stage game is very limited, especially if she's already used her grapple. Don't try to force opportunities. Wait for them.

Thanks for the tip. If you do find the time I'd love to read about your advice in greater detail.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If Samus crouch cancels a lot, just f-smash. If she shield a lot, grab. Otherwise just space fair and d-tilt.

You can bait Samus into shield by making her think you'll f-smash too. You just have to make it look like you're going to f-smash. Like run up and wavedash in place or something. Pressing a lot of buttons generally makes people think you're actually going to do moves.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
If Samus crouch cancels a lot, just f-smash. If she shield a lot, grab. Otherwise just space fair and d-tilt.

You can bait Samus into shield by making her think you'll f-smash too. You just have to make it look like you're going to f-smash. Like run up and wavedash in place or something. Pressing a lot of buttons generally makes people think you're actually going to do moves.
This made me laugh a little more than it should have.

Thanks for the general tips Chival.

Played against a friend of mine today (a samus main) and I was hoping to put up some videos for critique but it didn't end up happening. :(

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Meh, it's fine. I'll probably run into you in a tournament sooner or later since you live only one state away. Then maybe I can help you out in person.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
You must be playing some crazy good Samuses if they can crouch cancel and shield while getting edgeguarded. =)
Aerial crouch cancel shield ftw. New metagame right there.

Seriously though, I'm reluctant to say just how good he is since I've never seen him play anyone really good but just from my personal perspective he's very good. If I sit and wait near the edge he'll bomb drop camp (baiting me into an easy dsmash kill for him). Even if I do wait it out he just goes for the grapple and sweet spots the edge. If nothing else he'll clear the edge with smash missiles. To put it simply he eliminates so many of my options when I'm trying to kill him it just makes me sad and I usually end up going for the desperate fsmash kill.

Also, the biggest problem I have with the match is recovery against him. Seems like soon as I'm off the stage I'm bombarded with missiles and then when I try to go low and sweet spot the edge he just utilts (things hits so far below the stage) and kills me that way. If I try to go high and air dodge over him that just gives him a chance to combo the hell out of me.

I really can't say more about his playstyle or the quality of his samus without posting a video. Honestly though I think it's just a combination of him being somewhat decent and me just sucking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
VERY good post tai
very nice explanation of how adaptation wars occur, and why "do the best option in every situation" fails against an opponent that adapts well (i.e. every high/top level player)

I'm really impressed with how you've grown as a player and analyst over the past few years. You might be the future of this character.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
a) i thought you were talking about the post about peach and aerial CC LOOOOLL

b) you've been paying attention to me over the past few years? *totally blushing*

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
hmm, wonder if i should mix this in on fox when he dashdances ...but it seems better to just dash attack or grab him. But maybe at percents when dtilt will send him offstage.

probably should do it vs falcon, but falcon's dashdance isn't scary..you just walk forward. Walk too good

i feel like I use dtilt more on sheik/peach cause sheik has a ground game that is actually scary and peach can't deal with it very well.

if fox is dashing out of range just dash after him and sh at the right spacing to stuff approaches or just dash attack /grab if you can get close enough without him turning around. Are you suggesting Dashing after him and cancelling with down into a dtilt PP? This seems a lot safer, but you aren't getting much off of it except stage. I'll definitely try it for a day or two and see what happens though

xianglongfa

Smash Apprentice
marth v pikachu seems to be a very difficult matchup to learn for marth for many reasons:

Marth's Issues

• lack of meaty moves+pikachu's 2 frame tech
  • inability to cover himself from uair and nair from below
  • lack of followups given good DI from pikachu
  • inability to punish pikachu's recovery reliably
  • no reliable kill setups besides comboing into dair at high percents
  • can't prevent gimps from pikachu besides guessing with f-b/jump/fair and pikachu has no risk from trying to edgeguard you multiple times when you're offstage
  • rising uair ***** his soul
  • spaced nair is difficult to punish b/c pikachu's landing animation crouches and can't be grabbed
  • poor risk vs reward from jumping in general b/c lack of followups but gets ***** by pikachu if caught during jump
  • ground game not very strong due to what was mentioned prior(spaced nair/dtilt and inability to grab pikachu's landing animation)

A lot of these things result in it being very hard to zone pikachu b/c she's not incredibly scared of your options due to lack of followups, and is encouraged to try to trade even when you have stage control due to your lack of followups out of random hits(forced to do rising aerials often to wall or dash back) A lot of these things are well stuffed by spaced nairs dtilts and other moves that end up leading to grab. Also nair is notoriously horrible against pikachu b/c of pikachu's hitbox esp if she's crouching/moving/landing not to mention with proper DI you can't connect with grab during pikachu's landing frames so LOL.

Of course marth has many unspoken advantages vs pikachu that I won't bother to mention b/c most of them are more obvious. I'd really like to hear axe's opinion on some of the things I mentioned.

Reference materials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ckx8GsHIc0
https://www.youtube.com/results?sea....0.0.0.93.325.5.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.1AI_KhV_MxI

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
f**k pikachu

you got a lot of it right (i think), but i might actually disagree on marth's nair.

(read this portion out loud, please) i haven't experimented enough with it or made up my mind on it yet, but nair's viability is something on which i may actually bet. atm i think nair is actually kind good against pikachu. it's angled in a way that keeps his SFFL nair at bay. it's there for pretty much the entire time you're in the air (as opposed to fair), it has more knockback so it's harder for pikachu to just tank and counterattack, and it can be auto-canceled, so pikachu has less time to make terrible things unfold.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
what the heck does this mean:

"not to mention with proper DI you can't connect with grab during pikachu's landing frames so LOL."

what DI and how does that relate to being grabbed in landing lag? is pikachu's landing lag not able to be grabbed
or something?

MT_

Smash Ace
Not 100% relevant but I think the reason that Marths like nair so much (when we're not talking about how much it sucks) is because it's the closest thing that Marth has to an extended hitbox.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
hmm, wonder if i should mix this in on fox when he dashdances ...but it seems better to just dash attack or grab him. But maybe at percents when dtilt will send him offstage.

probably should do it vs falcon, but falcon's dashdance isn't scary..you just walk forward. Walk too good

i feel like I use dtilt more on sheik/peach cause sheik has a ground game that is actually scary and peach can't deal with it very well.

if fox is dashing out of range just dash after him and sh at the right spacing to stuff approaches or just dash attack /grab if you can get close enough without him turning around. Are you suggesting Dashing after him and cancelling with down into a dtilt PP? This seems a lot safer, but you aren't getting much off of it except stage. I'll definitely try it for a day or two and see what happens though
Before I respond to this, I don't think Pikachu is that bad or big of a deal to learn, and I think Nair is actually not that bad of an option vs him.

I don't like dash attacking vs Fox but it usually works when I do it sparingly. Foxes just like to attack and sometimes run away(move constantly basically) when I get close to them, so I can get close and then just Nair in place and cover pretty much all of that. I would Dtilt more vs Foxes that want to DD camp me but most don't do that, they like jumping too much lol. I Nair a lot vs Fox but he's pretty much the only character I do that to.

Dtilt is basically all I use vs Falcon aside from aerials when he's cornered. Even if Falcon SHs you can react/CC whatever he does so Dtilt is fine then.

@last part: Marth is amazing with stage and it's guaranteed stage to me, so it's basically a kill if you do it right. Plus I'll be closer to the edge so the kill should be easier. You don't have to play it that way, but it feels best to me. I'd also recommend some slow stage-taking using Nair(kinda like M2K does), that's pretty cool too.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
in my mind, dtilt isn't the strongest move against falcon :/ still a great move because dtilt is an amazing move in general, but i feel like falcon's playstyle makes d-tilt weaker than it normally is.

i mean, d-tilt still has the ground superiority it always has, so i feel like its greatest strength is that it forces him to respect your ground game. it's nice to have that mixup where you zone the ground so your opponent will be more inclined to jump, but i feel like falcon is fast enough to punish d-tilt if you try to spam it, and i feel he's strong enough in the air to make it so that d-tilt can't just be "all you do against him."

i might be wrong though. i guess i'll experiment with d-tilt the next time i play against him.

xianglongfa

Smash Apprentice
what the heck does this mean:

"not to mention with proper DI you can't connect with grab during pikachu's landing frames so LOL."

what DI and how does that relate to being grabbed in landing lag? is pikachu's landing lag not able to be grabbed
or something?
yeah when you nair her at early percents and try to dash in and jc grab it misses. I might be wrong with nair, but I don't think I explained my reasoning about it very well either :\

@tai yeah I feel somehow that dtilt is less safe against falcon b/c of his large nair and meaty fair. I'm a lot less scared of fox jumping to evade my dtilt than I am when falcon does it. I'm probably just not amazing at doing it though and it's more telegraphed than it should be.

EDIT: OK I got it now. The reason why I dislike marth's nair has to do with that angle where his face is exposed happens to coincide really well with pikachu's sh nair height. and so pikachu's nair will often trade with marth's nair's first hit or just go through it sometimes. It just depends on the spacing, but pikachu's nair is far better than fox's for exploiting marth's nairs hitbox.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
On the topic of marth's nair: i think my progress with the best timing and spacing of the move came with contemplating the similarities between it and a dive kick.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
pp do you have some vids vs falcon? I really have no idea how you are using dtilt so I can't really judge whether I should be using it in those places. are you using dtilt aggressively or to just block approaches? If you use it aggressively are you waiting for opponents to dash away far enough that you can do dashcancel into dtilt or are you just wd/walking forward and poking to take space.

So many possibilities for where you are using dtilt, and you can't really judge it independently of what the opponent is doing either.

Videos would be nice, I swear you're the only marth that raves about dtilt. most of us use it but I feel like we're just thinking..yeah dtilt..if you use it people will be honest about making grounded approaches. I don't think most marths use dtilt very aggressively except for when a large amount of space is given (one of m2k's standard approaches on fox when there is a lot of space between the two players).

side note, this pikachu thing sound interesting. I'll test it sometime this week. do we need to dash grab instead of JC grabbing to grab him? and what relevance does the nair have. is it some pull down animation in reaction to getting hit?

xianglongfa

Smash Apprentice
pp do you have some vids vs falcon? I really have no idea how you are using dtilt so I can't really judge whether I should be using it in those places. are you using dtilt aggressively or to just block approaches? If you use it aggressively are you waiting for opponents to dash away far enough that you can do dashcancel into dtilt or are you just wd/walking forward and poking to take space.

So many possibilities for where you are using dtilt, and you can't really judge it independently of what the opponent is doing either.

Videos would be nice, I swear you're the only marth that raves about dtilt. most of us use it but I feel like we're just thinking..yeah dtilt..if you use it people will be honest about making grounded approaches. I don't think most marths use dtilt very aggressively except for when a large amount of space is given (one of m2k's standard approaches on fox when there is a lot of space between the two players).

side note, this pikachu thing sound interesting. I'll test it sometime this week. do we need to dash grab instead of JC grabbing to grab him? and what relevance does the nair have. is it some pull down animation in reaction to getting hit?
It's not nair. It's just when pikachu is landing she crouches low enough to avoid marth's grab hitbox. Then she is actionable and just dodges or runs away or does a quick move or something. It's similar to jiggs.

Top Bottom