• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

earla

Smash Lord
thanks. anyone got a vid eg. so i can compare auto canceled nair and l-cancelled nair? visually how are they different?

stelzig

Smash Lord
Can't you still pivot even though you do the JC input. Pretty sure i'm doing pivots quite often without even thinking about it... I do turn around and do a standing grab without sliding the least anyway.
Don't really see technically why you shouldn't be able to do it either. And IMO you might as well just get the JC habit into your grabs in general since there's never really a reason not to use it except against crouching puff afaik.

Autocancelled Nair and l-cancelled Nair are visually different in the sense that you get a landing lag animation when it doesn't autocancel... (look out for the clouds that appear when you land before an aerial has ended)

earla

Smash Lord
what are some fresh combos to practice?

practicing is starting to get tedious.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Can't you still pivot even though you do the JC input. Pretty sure i'm doing pivots quite often without even thinking about it... I do turn around and do a standing grab without sliding the least anyway.
Don't really see technically why you shouldn't be able to do it either. And IMO you might as well just get the JC habit into your grabs in general since there's never really a reason not to use it except against crouching puff afaik.

Autocancelled Nair and l-cancelled Nair are visually different in the sense that you get a landing lag animation when it doesn't autocancel... (look out for the clouds that appear when you land before an aerial has ended)
if you jc its a frame slower(I think up to like 3 slower). might as well practice saving frames if you can.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Hmm. I suppose though for pivot grabs i don't think a single frame difference is gonna matter very often. At least it isn't needed for the chaingrab.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
not really. but I tty to recommend the most efficient way. when im standing I use a standing grab.

if he had trouble remembering or something id say just jc.

Kira-

Smash Champion
i'm not sure how to go about fixing this, though
i dont know if this will help you but it works for m:

1. i always camp against noobs and just punish the most basic stuff. dashdance to grab all day, run up shield a lot and punish their laggy attacks (shielding a lot might not be a good idea for marth though). noobs suck against this stuff; they are better at stopping advances than they are at keeping up pressure

2. don't play melee for a whole week (i would recommend 2 weeks but i realize that is a long time for people who love smash). don't even watch videos or anything, just stay away from it for a week, go do some outdoor activities. even if u dont wanna do work you can still just chill at the beach, go for a walk or whatever, play pool even. the first day you come back you will generally suck and have no tech skill. then one more day break. the next day you will **** hard and do very creative things. also your attitude has to be carefree. i notice a lot of people end up playing gayer when they start to get desperate for tourney wins (like after a long losing streak), but they approach more and risk more after a break. play friendlies against someone slightly below your skill level, this is fun and gains confidence and also gives you new ideas of how to play

maybe in #2 you should replace every "you" with the word "me" cause it seems unlikely that it would work exactly that way for anyone else lol

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
dash forward, flick back. you will be standing an you just grab.

don't jc
I just had a crazy day where I was going to pivot dtilt (in a dash dance pivot, not flick) and it took me like 4 hours to do once. But I learned how to pivot jab/tilt/fsmash/grab in the process.

Imo it's much more consistent to learn to pivot grab without flicking. I feel like flicking is slower cause you mentally wait for the flick (at least I do).

I just JC my pivot grabs as well, it helps me keep the timing easier.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I just had a crazy day where I was going to pivot dtilt (in a dash dance pivot, not flick) and it took me like 4 hours to do once. But I learned how to pivot jab/tilt/fsmash/grab in the process.

Imo it's much more consistent to learn to pivot grab without flicking. I feel like flicking is slower cause you mentally wait for the flick (at least I do).

I just JC my pivot grabs as well, it helps me keep the timing easier.
I can see that. so much of this game is mental. if you can put something into simpler terms its easier. the more you can do the more you have to relate to.

I can pivot all aerials, jabs, ftilts, jumps. I can also pivot as im walking off platforms into aerials. I gotta practice d tilt and up tilt tho.

I just found the over exaggeration of the flick helped me get the motion. it took only 1 day to learn to pivot jabs and ftilts. the more I do it the less it seems like im doing individual steps.

now I just flick. everything b4 it is natural. so dd into a pivot. dash behind them pivot reverse up b or fair pivot bair are pretty easy.

that up tilt tho is killing me tho lol. I wanna do it in 1 motion vs 2. I just want to pivot and up tilt right away. its hard to be subtle from a harder movement.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Kira I miss you. Please play Sheik again, I'm sick of seeing nothing but Lucien and Europe.
This was touching. But I probably won't get to a tournament for a little while longer at least. Are you going to apex/rom? Your techchasing makes me sick cause of how good you are at it. And if you get tired of those sheiks then maybe a japanese sheik will do?

Also- if you don't play for awhile people forget your style. Then the first tourney back you can win lol

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
This was touching. But I probably won't get to a tournament for a little while longer at least. Are you going to apex/rom? Your techchasing makes me sick cause of how good you are at it. And if you get tired of those sheiks then maybe a japanese sheik will do?

Also- if you don't play for awhile people forget your style. Then the first tourney back you can win lol
I'll just hope you don't forget Smash D:

I really liked you vs Falcos, it was so pretty.

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
what are some fresh combos to practice?

practicing is starting to get tedious.
Fresh combos happen spontaneously within matches through coincidental DI and prediction. If you practice a "fresh" combo it's not really so fresh anymore.

If you mean recently discovered combos I don't think there has been any staple marth combos discovered for a while(but I could be wrong)

Kira-

Smash Champion
I'll just hope you don't forget Smash D:

I really liked you vs Falcos, it was so pretty.
Ha never, I play a lot of friendlies still when I can

Thanks lol, but if you can win with 4 grabs i think that is better than looking pretty =P

DJMirror

Smash Master
Tai I hate playing Okami, KirbyRaeg, combofest and Anto in general because of noob *** stuff they do.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
you can jump pivot, why can't you JC pivot? It may not be pivot grab, but it's certainly a pivot JC grab.
You people waste so much time talking about and practicing useless stuff instead of practicing important things. Like standing still. And swinging your sword faster.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
You people waste so much time talking about and practicing useless stuff instead of practicing important things. Like standing still. And swinging your sword faster.
Out of all the pivots, Pivot grabbing is easily the most utilized pivot. I don't really waste time doing pivot attacks unless they are for fun, plus pivot nairs are fun for victory dances :p.

Other than one day perhaps around 1-2 years ago I never really practice pivots, but if you ask anyone I play my pivot grabs are pretty much 100%, and for spacing they are incredibly useful.

One of your weaker arguments imo Cactuar, ridiculing people for of all things pivot grabbing is pretty weak. Go make fun of people shdfairing. Since it's Marth's best approach 24/7, which is why everyone's first question is "How do I shdf?".

IMO get out Fox scum :mad: (from a fellow Fox scum :()

Kira-

Smash Champion
He can't teach the "more important things" cause they have more to do with talent than practice. He can only show you they exist. Tech skill lets the less gifted compete. Not everybody can use standing still to their benefit.

Jun.

Smash Lord
standing still is pretty good

only when you're in an advantageous area obviously but I know what Cactuar is talking about. I think Kira can vouch for me =]

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Out of all the pivots, Pivot grabbing is easily the most utilized pivot. I don't really waste time doing pivot attacks unless they are for fun, plus pivot nairs are fun for victory dances :p.

Other than one day perhaps around 1-2 years ago I never really practice pivots, but if you ask anyone I play my pivot grabs are pretty much 100%, and for spacing they are incredibly useful.

One of your weaker arguments imo Cactuar, ridiculing people for of all things pivot grabbing is pretty weak. Go make fun of people shdfairing. Since it's Marth's best approach 24/7, which is why everyone's first question is "How do I shdf?".

IMO get out Fox scum :mad: (from a fellow Fox scum :()
Lol. First of all, this is my thread. *points at title* I will ridicule people for whatever I want.

Pivot ANYTHING is far less useful than learning how to swing your sword properly. 99.9999% of Marth players do not know how to do this. Instead, they see M2K grab whoring spacies and think "if I just learn how to grab better, all will work in my favor!??!?", which is false. Marth as a character sucks because people don't understand how to properly fight their opponent. They rely on Marth's EZ-mode spacing and grab game to play against low to mid level players, and then wonder why they get ***** at high level play. They do not understand how to truly use Marth's range and grabs. There is a reason Marth ***** at low to mid and has had trouble keeping up with the top level metagame for the past two years.

Every time I come in here people are asking stupid questions about tech skill instead of the more important things, like STRATEGY. Marth, as a character, will always be much more heavily reliant on strategy than technical ability, because honestly, he will never hold a candle to Fox, Falco, Peach, Falcon, and Sheik when it comes to tech skill.

As for your initial statement about pivot grabbing being the most utilized pivot... who cares. Aside from the CG usage during the 3% gap that standing grab doesn't cover, pivots are rarely necessary, and put you much closer to danger than like... a dash dance grab. Sure, once in a while, instantly turning around while running away may net you a grab, but in the long run, the more you are running away, the more ground you are giving up.

tl:dr - I might be Fox scum, but I still know more about Marth than pretty much anyone.

Also, I am constantly making fun of people for making such a big deal out of learning how to shdf. Learn how to shff single fair and dash away first. It's much more useful.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Lol. First of all, this is my thread. *points at title* I will ridicule people for whatever I want.

Pivot ANYTHING is far less useful than learning how to swing your sword properly. 99.9999% of Marth players do not know how to do this. Instead, they see M2K grab whoring spacies and think "if I just learn how to grab better, all will work in my favor!??!?", which is false. Marth as a character sucks because people don't understand how to properly fight their opponent. They rely on Marth's EZ-mode spacing and grab game to play against low to mid level players, and then wonder why they get ***** at high level play. They do not understand how to truly use Marth's range and grabs. There is a reason Marth ***** at low to mid and has had trouble keeping up with the top level metagame for the past two years.

Every time I come in here people are asking stupid questions about tech skill instead of the more important things, like STRATEGY. Marth, as a character, will always be much more heavily reliant on strategy than technical ability, because honestly, he will never hold a candle to Fox, Falco, Peach, Falcon, and Sheik when it comes to tech skill.

As for your initial statement about pivot grabbing being the most utilized pivot... who cares. Aside from the CG usage during the 3% gap that standing grab doesn't cover, pivots are rarely necessary, and put you much closer to danger than like... a dash dance grab. Sure, once in a while, instantly turning around while running away may net you a grab, but in the long run, the more you are running away, the more ground you are giving up.

tl:dr - I might be Fox scum, but I still know more about Marth than pretty much anyone.

Also, I am constantly making fun of people for making such a big deal out of learning how to shdf. Learn how to shff single fair and dash away first. It's much more useful.
Welcome to every single video critique I've ever made. I'm not disagreeing with what actually matters. I was just annoyed that out of all the silly little things people want to practice (shdf, shine bair, multishines) you pulled the lol stupid convo card on a pivot grabbing. Sure I'm overreacting, but I think the people having the discussion have been around long enough that's it's just interesting to talk about.

And for pivot grabbing, I wasn't just talking about Marth but I guess this is the character specific. So no big deal. I find myself grabbing (pivot or not) by dash dancing forward as well as dash dancing back. As so many players predict the dashing away.

Top Bottom