• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Pivots ****. **** both of you lol.

but seriously, I only look at the ability to pivot as more control over my character. To be able to do what you want, and when you want to *****. I practices **** like ledge canceling, shield stopping. dashing>shield>wd oos.

I use to have an extremely hard time vs fox because I wasnt utilizing my dash properly. There was a time when both marth and m2 were suffering from it because all I did was WD. Id keep getting hit by fox nairs and couldnt defend in time.

I finally sat down and worked on dashing, and dash canceling into jabs and uptilts. I still practice L canceling and dash dance out of it to make sure im doing **** right.

I practice doing an aerial onto a platform and falling through with another one and making sure I get the L cancel and the Dash.

But then I practice **** like moonwalks, dash behind somebody pivot reverse up B.

Im still working on pivot up tilts.

I dont know how to play like cactuar. I just think of random **** id like to do and practice the tech skill to do it.

Dart!

Smash Master
Lol. First of all, this is my thread. *points at title* I will ridicule people for whatever I want.
Every time I come in here people are asking stupid questions about tech skill instead of the more important things, like STRATEGY. Marth, as a character, will always be much more heavily reliant on strategy than technical ability, because honestly, he will never hold a candle to Fox, Falco, Peach, Falcon, and Sheik when it comes to tech skill.
now i know you're trollin'

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So Cactuar, what's your strategy with Marth against Fox? With what button input should Marth be swinging his sword, and how should be best deal with Fox's speed?

Brookman

Smash Hero
Fox player is running around like a ******

you should...

. . . wave dash back . . . stand still . . . wait . . . turn around . . . wait . . . wave dash backwards . . . up tilt . . . turn, dash, and grab

it doesn't matter which way you are facing in relation to the opponent when you begin this maneuver, up tilt is that good.

Lovage

Smash Hero
can anyone link those posts m2k where he details all the specific percents for chaingrabbing spacies? i remember him posting randomly all the important points in the chaingrab where you need to pivot grab and where you need to turnaround utilt and when fsmash will tip on certain DIs and stuff

i'm getting into marth a lot more and that info would help ^^

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
These are the %s you don't have to move to do CGs with Marth vs Fox
0-16 Forward DI (sometimes 16 will miss though, but I think usually you will get them)
0-20 no DI (sometimes you will get them at 20 or 21 or so but the soonest you can miss is 20)
0-28 back DI

for up tilt vs Fox without needing to move
0-35 Forward DI (sometimes you will miss at 35 though, I've even had phantom hit bull**** before, but after 35 you need to walk forward no matter what. I think walk forward up tilt works to like 50 something?)
no DI the lowest you can up throw up tilt to knock them UP is like 23 I think that's unrelated though kinda, although honestly I usually do it at about 27/28+ (by the way vs Fox I usually do reverse up tilt because it seems better and it's harder to DI out of assuming they don't DI because you can still dash grab them even if they DI it, while if you did normal up tilt after not DIing up throw all the Fox has to do is DI behind Marth and he can land and tech before Marth can grab him)
0-50 back DI

for Falco
0-15??? (I know it's around like 13-16 or something idk, it's actually the same or less than Fox) Forward DI
0-25 no DI
0-31 back DI

for up tilt vs Falco
0-42 Forward DI
not sure for the no DI thing (unrelated thing see the Fox note above) I think it's like 30 something + but again this isn't exactly related to the "don't need to move" thing but more like a "don't need to move until it knocks them over on the ground instead of just completely missing" type of thing
0-54 back DI

up throw tipper F smash works on Fox at like low mid 40s + IIRC, and lasts up to as long as like 80% or so maybe even 90 if you don't DI. The easiest average % you are looking for vs Fox is 60%, although it works before and after that by about 15/20% obviously. Up throw take a baby step forward and then if they don't DI you reverse tipper F smash, then C stick if they decide to DI the up throw. The more you do this the better you will get at the timing and understanding, I just gave you a basic guideline. Falco is similar but add the %s a little higher by like 5 or 10% prolly closer to 5 (that's just a random guess) and there you have it.

Also you see my vid vs Shiz where I tried to do up throw Fair to Bair to F throw to Dair (that works I tested it on computers but I know a human would DI in the F throw lol, or I could just F smash tipper) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW-di...e=channel_page at 1:02 it begins. Well, I made that up recently but my mistake was wavedashing before the grab - I should have just done a dash grab then F throw dair (or F throw F smash or F Throw down tilt to edge hog then bair).

ANOTHER Mistake at that vid at that same time is after he did the tech roll, I could have gotten him with a dash JC grab behind me before he would be able to shine or dodge, but I suck and got stuck in my turning around animation

--

you can't up throw Falco at 0% if he DIs behind you. He will always land. On the flip side if he DIs forward you can get him at 0% with a standing regrab, but it's the opposite for Marth's forward throw. F Throw regrab works if he DIs in but with away DI Falco can escape. Lol it's kind of a guessing game. I usually down throw at 0, or whatever direction the edge is, then down tilt it.

with no DI they can't escape till like 80%+ lol. Probably more. Once they get to like 70% + just do SH uair a few times. At like 90 do up throw (let them DI) then go for Fair + Dair (if they are smart they will not DI the Fair or DI away)

also near the edge down throw to dash-off-stage Dair actually combos at mid/high % if they DI in xD
3rd time posting this. Here you go, Lovage.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Cactuar is going down like an elbowed European soccer player in Apex pools! You heard it here first. Going to pivot grab you all 2 matches (won't make it to a third match aww yeah).

Be my first time playing him after talking to him at both RoMs and I think Pound 4.

Pool 25

Cactuar
Heyits Yo
PBandJ
ArcNatural
Lord Karn
Nintendude

Niko45

Smash Master
Cactuar is going down like an elbowed European soccer player in Apex pools! You heard it here first. Going to pivot grab you all 2 matches (won't make it to a third match aww yeah).

Be my first time playing him after talking to him at both RoMs and I think Pound 4.

Pool 25

Cactuar
Heyits Yo
PBandJ
ArcNatural
Lord Karn
Nintendude
Watch out for Nintendude...

DJMirror

Smash Master
Goddammit KFC, That's a man. Check the Korean Pop thread. There's alot of Korean girls.

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
this game is not about girls -_- thx for the awsome info im maining marth but until i get consistent with him im gonna have to go shiek for my next tournament w/e im comfortable with at the time of the tournament.

Jun.

Smash Lord
is a pivot just a 1 dash danced then the movie?

I think I use it but people seem to make a big deal of it all the time.

mers

Smash Ace
is a pivot just a 1 dash danced then the movie?

I think I use it but people seem to make a big deal of it all the time.
When you DD, at the moment your character turns around, there is one (or maybe a few) frame(s) in which they are in the standing position, and can therefore do anything that one can normally do from the standing position. With careful timing, this can allow quick retreating/run-through grabs, rapid respacing of moves, or other tricks.

weigelct

Smash Rookie
Okay I've got a question.

I've asked a lot of people how to improve my marth and everyone seems to recycle the same answer, "work on spacing." But no one who has told me this has been able to explain to me really what spacing is. I KNOW for sure its not just being able to hit with the tip of marth's sword consistently. It goes much deeper on a strategic level. But how? And once I truly understand what good spacing is, how do I work on making MY spacing capabilities good?

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Fthrow or down throw. depending on whichever gets him closer to the edge

up throw is bleh you get some decent combos(if you tip uptilt) out of it at mid percent but nothing a good falcon cant DI out of easily.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
How can I make my reaction time better for a rising fair for the shdf?
well.

first you have to short hop.

then f-air.

then--get this: before you land, f-air again.

l-cancelling is optional depending on whether or not you wanna win.

no thanks needed.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Guillermodulate is the greatest poster ever. Every word he types tickles my heartbrains in a unique way.

Jun.

Smash Lord
How can I make my reaction time better for a rising fair for the shdf?
For the record its pretty well established that Marth players hate answering this question because there is no real trick to SHDF except just.... doing it.

However this is the mindset that fixed my double fairs

- make the first one come out ASAP after your SH (I use A cause it comes out faster then reaching for the cstick. If your hands are fast enough to move to the cstick after a SH then more power to you)
- learn how much delay the fair has and throw your second one accordingly *note* later is better than too early because if you do it too early nothing will come out (I use cstick for the second fair so I can control the DI/spacing)

Btw: SHDF is not your key to the marth metagame. Esp not today. Any Marth player will tell you that a fast falled Fair has much more utility than a SHDF. The only thing SHDF is mostly good for is combo'ing which the Marth metagame is straying from.

On an unrelated note, a random realization. When you upthrow someone that's not fast faller: sheik, mario chars, other marths etc, its common that they are gonna jump to avoid utilts and uairs. A lot of players just throw out the utilt anyway just in case but this usually does not hit unless the other opponent really has no idea how marth is played. In my experience waiting for the jump after the uthrow and punishing them is largely effective due to 1. They used their jump and 2. You know where they are headed. They are in the air, with no jump, and all they can do is DI and maybe throw out aerials which marth can most likely out-prioritize. Marth wins in the air especially if the opponent is in front/above you and uthrows are a perfect setup for this if CG's are not viable.

tl:dr Uthrow then wait for the common jump, then punish

I agree with cactuar in his statement that "doing nothing" or just waiting is very advantageous for marth in many ways.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Lol. Number of time arc pivot grabbed cactuar in pools: 0.

:psycho:
I choked hard against you :(. I'm pretty sure the result would of been the same even stock wise but yeah your the reason I pick green fox lol. I was planning on pivot grabbing as a stock dance XD.

I did get second in the pool pretty easily though. Only had 3 losses (you and 1 to PB&J after being gauranteed 2nd seed).

earla

Smash Lord
for moonwalk with marth input = dash, then half circle down backwards then to neutral.

is the timing very strict + fast? does moonwalking have any application for marth?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
for marth you need to wavedash or walk in the direction you're going to moonwalk before you moonwalk, else you don't get any backwards distance.

and "all of them" is not the correct answer to what throws to use against falcon.... bthrow? lol.

Top Bottom