• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
got a question(REALLY n00bish i know but marth is my 3rd char so...) here does double fairs can be done with shorhop? i only get 1 fair like that...
Im assuming your asking can you get a double fair with 1 shorthop. The answers yes you can. Your timing is prbably off if you can only manage to get 1 out. What do you use to jump?

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
Use the C-Stick.

It just takes good timing and practice to get your thumb to reach fast enough.

Also you cant do a retreating double fair if you use the z button and remember its not the speed that matters its being able to do the fair immediatly after the first one ends and not sooner.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
When I first learned them I used X -> A for the first fair, then the c-stick for the second.

Please don't say your fast with the buttons. If it's possible and your not doing it, it's pretty clear your either not fast enough, or aren't doing it properly. Just make sure you time it. Don't just try to keep getting the second fair out. Learn the timing for when the first fair ends and when you can do another fair and you will be a lot better off.

cykofox

Smash Ace
since this is the "ask cactuar thread" and not "ask random tools who think are cactuar"?

cactuar, how do make your fox move like a cockroach?

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
question here.

What is the strategy/mindset you should have when going against Ice Climbers. I usually try to do backwards fair to stay outa grab range untill I hit them/atleast popo, then try and get them off the stage. ICs are still hard as hell for me to fight though, cause once they get that first grab, its pretty much 30 percent on me, and once they get a second, its almost another 30.

I searched this topic, but didn't really find anything.

pacostaco123

Smash Cadet
How do pros like M2K and Ken use the b-air off the ledge while edge guarding so quickly. It seems like it is instant off the edge. Is there a certain way I should be doing this? I.E. drop with control stick and jump with x/y to csticked bair or what?

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
How do pros like M2K and Ken use the b-air off the ledge while edge guarding so quickly. It seems like it is instant off the edge. Is there a certain way I should be doing this? I.E. drop with control stick and jump with x/y to csticked bair or what?
They fast fall when they drop off the edge.

Just practice the motions until it becomes muscle memory and then you'll be able to execute it just as fast.

And its recommended that you use the c-stick.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
since this is the "ask cactuar thread" and not "ask random tools who think are cactuar"?

cactuar, how do make your fox move like a cockroach?
You think Cactuar needs to answer questions like how to short hop double fair? Movement questions/matchup questions I understand. But simple questions that a good percentage of melee posters already know the answer to I don't.

And since you haven't noticed. This thread actually replaced the ask questions about Marth thread, since this one was more active. Which was actually the thread that most of the simple questions were asked in the first place.

cykofox

Smash Ace
You think Cactuar needs to answer questions like how to short hop double fair? Movement questions/matchup questions I understand. But simple questions that a good percentage of melee posters already know the answer to I don't.

And since you haven't noticed. This thread actually replaced the ask questions about Marth thread, since this one was more active. Which was actually the thread that most of the simple questions were asked in the first place.
you really make lol. of coursee i've noticed, now what i would suggest is changing the thread title to "a standard ask marth questions thread."

i said what i said, because couple of pages back i asked cactuar a question regarding his fox, not fox in general, to which someone responded.

when i ask" cactuar, how do you.." im only addressing cactuar...duh

Aesir

Smash Master
Marth ditto - Dash attack is amazingly broken for breaking DD/space camping. Eventually (if they don't suck) they'll learn to cancel into shield to stop this. At that point you need a good mix up with grabs. F-smash when appropriate (hit them out of aerials, etc.) DI well, never try to jump out of a Marth's combos. Edgeguard without fail X.X This will mean a lot of b-air.

Vs. Sheik - LOL This match up is hard to impossible at any level. If you must do it... Learn to CC jabs/tilts/weak aerials to grabs. CC some stronger stuff to f-smash. WD out of shield really well to deal with pressure/needles. You have to kill from single hits which is bad because you can't really combo Sheik for balls if Sheik can DI. I guess u-air juggle and try to edge guard eventually. Most sheiks/players will spam side step which is like the worst defensive option at all times and is super punishable. Counter pick to Mute City or FD. Better yet, go Fox or do the Sheik Ditto.
PoF don't listen to this guy lol..

Just wait till next time marc and I are at your house we'll show you how it's done =P

Lol @ marth players thinking this match up is impossible, I use to main a low tier I know what impossible is. LOL

Europhoria

Smash Lord
>_> Play against KirbyKaze's sheik, or another high level sheik and then get back to me. My border for impossible is anything above 7/3. Marth v. Sheik to me is about 65/35 or 70/30. So... it's hard - impossible.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
MM my Sheik with your Marth

Edit: It's not to be a jerk, but this will be much faster then explaining this match up. I get sick of explaining the basics of things X.X especially a match up I've done so much

D

Deleted member

MM my Sheik with your Marth

Edit: It's not to be a jerk, but this will be much faster then explaining this match up. I get sick of explaining the basics of things X.X especially a match up I've done so much
**** him I'm better MM my zelda instead.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Marth ditto - Dash attack is amazingly broken for breaking DD/space camping. Eventually (if they don't suck) they'll learn to cancel into shield to stop this. At that point you need a good mix up with grabs. F-smash when appropriate (hit them out of aerials, etc.) DI well, never try to jump out of a Marth's combos. Edgeguard without fail X.X This will mean a lot of b-air.

Vs. Sheik - LOL This match up is hard to impossible at any level. If you must do it... Learn to CC jabs/tilts/weak aerials to grabs. CC some stronger stuff to f-smash. WD out of shield really well to deal with pressure/needles. You have to kill from single hits which is bad because you can't really combo Sheik for balls if Sheik can DI. I guess u-air juggle and try to edge guard eventually. Most sheiks/players will spam side step which is like the worst defensive option at all times and is super punishable. Counter pick to Mute City or FD. Better yet, go Fox or do the Sheik Ditto.
Dear Euro***ia,

You're spot on with some of these but you definitely are wrong about the difficulty of the matchup. Sheik CAN be combod pretty well, and even if she can't you still outrange her. So for example, a basic strategy is Uthrow--> Utilt @ low percents. Even if she jumps out, Marth still has time to jump and Fair or Bair or Uair her, and at that point vs. a good Marth she's not touching the ground any time soon. Because Marth outranges her, when she's in the air it's almost impossible for her to get back down. She has a VERY VERY slight advantage in the neutral state due to needles, but even then it's so slight it's not even really noticeable.

What makes this matchup in Sheik's favor is her grab combos. Dthrow--> **** pretty much owns marth. However, Marth can still do nasty things to her, almost as bad but not quite.

Sincerely, You're Marth Master JesiahTEG

voilentjack

Smash Journeyman
its good to up tilt it baits her second jump out ,

ultimately when she loses that

your ability to combo gets into your favor

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
I don't even uptilt, I just go for the fair lol.

I generally will just down throw though and go for a tech chase lol.
Yeah, me too, but what I'm saying is that Marth has a hard time competing with Sheik's pretty much guaranteed hits after dthrow. In PAL it's much easier, just DI the throw down and away and most Sheik's fail at following up LOL.

Aesir

Smash Master
I don't really find it that hard, I just think most marths are pampered because all they really run into is fox and falcos and they're easy to combo.

It's like what?! one grab can't lead into a 0-death combo! THIS IS HARD!!!

Edge guarding sheik has to be one of the easiest things in this game, I just like this match up I guess I have to think =[

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
I don't really find it that hard, I just think most marths are pampered because all they really run into is fox and falcos and they're easy to combo.

It's like what?! one grab can't lead into a 0-death combo! THIS IS HARD!!!

Edge guarding sheik has to be one of the easiest things in this game, I just like this match up I guess I have to think =[
Yeah edge guarding Shiek is pretty easy. lol

Although I'm not sure which one is easier to edge hog...Falcon or Shiek. =P

Oh and random opinion of mine who cares...Sheik as the clear advantage against Marth.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Mute City is too good vs. Sheik xD No edge to grab = free charge whatever. It's the only stage outside of FD I feel I can take a Sheik like Kirbykaze or whatever. mmmm maybe stadium too ^^ Without a top middle platform up-air juggle becomes surprisingly more viable. When there's a top middle platform the Sheik will just go for it and get out.

Mow, didn't Raynex like super **** you or something? xD

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Sheik reminds me of Street Fighter.

Needles = Hadouken

*And in the unfateful event that you jump over them*

F-Air = Shoryuken!!!

Aesir

Smash Master
I remember playing around with the idea of mute city a year ago then realized it was a bad idea because what you just said about sheik is completely true for marth. Except sheik's recovery + weight makes it easy for her to live really long. Plus fsmash sends at a 90 degree angle which is easy to survive with proper DI.

Maybe if you space down smashes, but then again you have to predict where they're going to land, which is a risk, an unnecessary one I might add.

As to what sheik can do? All anyone has to do is recall their scrub days and see what happens when you land on the stage against sheik lol. Marth with lag = happy sheik.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Tip them back out with f-smash. Late d-air is nice at low %. Leads to stuff. With no ledge to grab from a throw, it makes edgeguarding a lot easier. I feel sheik edgeguards Marth so much better then he can do to her with ledges. I accept death or lots of % when offstage vs. Sheik. This just makes it even in terms of the edge game.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Sheik vs Marth is like 65-35 imo. Not super super ****, but Sheik is quite dominant. It's really a playstyle thing. Aggressive Sheik goes even or better with Aggressive or Campy Marth, while Campy Sheik just flat out beats any Marth style really. Play skill obviously makes up the difference, but in general, a lower level sheik player can beat a Marth who is slightly better than them given some matchup experience.

Aesir

Smash Master
Tip them back out with f-smash. Late d-air is nice at low %. Leads to stuff. With no ledge to grab from a throw, it makes edgeguarding a lot easier. I feel sheik edgeguards Marth so much better then he can do to her with ledges. I accept death or lots of % when offstage vs. Sheik. This just makes it even in terms of the edge game.
You'll have to predict where they're going though, they'll most likely get their second jump back because they will land on the stage mostly.

They're about the same in terms of edge guarding, she has a lot of tools for gimping and marth has a lot of tools for gimping, I find gimping much more important in this match up then in any of marths other match ups. If you're not gimping you're going to lose simple as that, this is why I wouldn't go to mute city gimping is a lot harder for marth on MC then it is for sheik.

Top Bottom