• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I just want to point out that although I'm a different Arc, I regularly pivot grab with just Z or by pivoting and doing a JC grab.

Pivoting in general using the C-stick to fsmash in either direction during dash dancing is so heavily underused I feel as Marth. I can easily tipper falcon overbs, slight spacing adjustments, against jumping approaches rather than pivot grabbing, etc.

It's just really, really underused imo.
Whoa I never thought about this. Have you tried using this with A as well? What are the differences? I'll try to test this out tomorrow but I'm not close to home and won't be for a while that's why I'm asking.

Keep your manly exchanges behind closed doors.

kthx
hello, are you new here?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
There's a giant ****ing spider in my room on the wall. It's crawling behind my monitor and just appeared the other side. Now it's going behind my bed.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I saw a video like this match, where there was a Marth vs a (Marth or Falco?) and it was on this hacked stage (hacked Dreamland) and he did a SHDF to a SHDF to a Dair kill. I cannot find that combo for the life of me and I swore it was gonna be in this match but it wasn't (which makes me think it might of been done against another Marth). Maybe it was inside a combo video but I'm not sure (I really don't think it was though, I don't think it was tournament either I think it was a friendly).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1UixfOwyIz4#t=52s

Also I got a question about SHDF. I had an awesome friend who taught me it and he mentioned switching to using A instead of C-stick when he was facing a certain direction or something, I forgot and have no clue what/when/why to switch up the methods of fairing with A/C-stick. Then there's also SHFairUpair? When should I use that?

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Whoa I never thought about this. Have you tried using this with A as well? What are the differences? I'll try to test this out tomorrow but I'm not close to home and won't be for a while that's why I'm asking.

Are you asking what the differences between pivoting with C-stick vs A are? If so, the differences should be obvious. C-stick will do smash attacks only and not let you charge them (unless you press and hold Z right after). With A, you can jab, tilt, and even smash.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
I saw a video like this match, where there was a Marth vs a (Marth or Falco?) and it was on this hacked stage (hacked Dreamland) and he did a SHDF to a SHDF to a Dair kill. I cannot find that combo for the life of me and I swore it was gonna be in this match but it wasn't (which makes me think it might of been done against another Marth). Maybe it was inside a combo video but I'm not sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1UixfOwyIz4#t=52s

Also I got a question about SHDF. I had an awesome friend who taught me it and he mentioned switching to using A instead of C-stick when he was facing a certain direction or something, I forgot and have no clue what/when/why to switch up the methods of fairing with A/C-stick. Then there's also SHFairUpair? When should I use that?
He most likely suggested using A if you are facing the right side of the stage because of the trickier thumb movement from X/Y to C-stick right.

That combo you are talking about is all over youtube. If you are thinking of a specific example I don't think anybody can help you, but if you want something general just to see well just look up M2K vs Armada on FD or M2K vs any other marth on FD

Construct

Smash Journeyman
That's called a Ken combo, as is any string of fairs into a dair, it's named after the pioneering Marth player Ken. It's easiest to pull off against people in the peach/marth floatiness class.

Using A or C-stick really makes very little difference, it's mostly personal preference. SH f-air to SH-uair is useful if you're too close to somebody to pop them up with a tipper fair but you need to send them higher. It's also just a nice mixup in general. I feel snazzy doing it.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
There's a giant ****ing spider in my room on the wall. It's crawling behind my monitor and just appeared the other side. Now it's going behind my bed.
you get this yet or what

Are you asking what the differences between pivoting with C-stick vs A are? If so, the differences should be obvious. C-stick will do smash attacks only and not let you charge them (unless you press and hold Z right after). With A, you can jab, tilt, and even smash.
Mostly asking if it's easier with c stick as opposed to getting things like random dash attacks or whatever. If you get nothing or an easier Fsmash out of the pivot then that's pretty awesome haha.

D

Deleted member

i'm assuming that this is metaphorical. at least i hope it is lmao

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)

hello, are you new here?
I have zero issues using c-stick or A other than when stressed (I'm very consistent in friendlies, tourney matches I mess up more than just pivots so :p). I find using C-stick easier for when you are using the analog stick and c-stick in opposite directions. So dash forward, hit back + c-stick forward, so a perfect example is doing fthrow -> dash pivot fsmash.

I'll easily swap in A for laggier moves for charged fsmashes. But usually the only time I would use A is for charging or for jabs, pivot ftilts are just too easy to mess up in critical situations to be reliable atm.

But one setup I like to use A for is doing Spaced fairs/aerials to dash back -> hit forward + hold A for charge fsmash. Usually slight delayed fsmashes here catch shieldgrabs or oos options. For me this specific situation is pretty rare but I try to do it ever once in a while.

I just think once you've proven you can fsmash out of DD consistently to your opponent it opens up a lot more space for Marth as well as the ability to threaten with more than just grab out of DD a majority of the time.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Do you have any tips on how to be more consistent with forward smashes out of DD? (like in how the advanced how to play guide they show you airdodging closer and closer to the ground to ease you into wavedashing)
I for the life of me cannot get this down, and I think it'd be a really cool thing to implement :(

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Do you have any tips on how to be more consistent with forward smashes out of DD? (like in how the advanced how to play guide they show you airdodging closer and closer to the ground to ease you into wavedashing)
I for the life of me cannot get this down, and I think it'd be a really cool thing to implement :(
Depends on your controller really. With some controllers it's as easy as dashing and fsmashing with the c-stick at the exact same time. With others, the fsmash would have to be slightly delayed.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
But it was the BEST SHDF SHDF to Dair EVER (he had so much forward momentum in it he like started from getting off the edge to waveland back on and ended with the dair on like the other side or something [it was hacked dreamland]). I need to find it.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Pivoting into stand is way harder than just fsmashing out of the beginning of your dash (you have 2 or 3 frames of error to fsmash after beginning a dash).

@SpiderMad
I remember the clip you're talking about, but I wouldn't know where to look to find it. :/

SpiderMad

Smash Master
REALLY? Duuudeee damit all, any clue at what characters/players or anything? I THOUGHT it had lambchops in it and stuff

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Pivoting into stand is way harder than just fsmashing out of the beginning of your dash (you have 2 or 3 frames of error to fsmash after beginning a dash).
I disagree.

But the difficulty difference is irrelevant. Learning how to pivot to stand teaches you how to correctly pivot at varying distances. As you can imagine, this is very important.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
How does marth beat link's bombs? I feel like every time link throws a bomb at me I have to react either by shielding or trying to run away. Either one always forces me into a disadvantage. Is it possible to space a move so that only the blade hits it? Or should I be playing more aggressive so he doesn't have time to pull one out in the first place?

I disagree.

But the difficulty difference is irrelevant. Learning how to pivot to stand teaches you how to correctly pivot at varying distances. As you can imagine, this is very important.
I'd love to be able to dash dance for spacing, then dash back, turn, and go into a ftilt, jab, Utilt, Dtilt, etc. But I always thought it was too difficult to get consistently. Going directly from control stick mashing to soft tilt inputs in like a 2 frame window. But, are there people who can do that consistently?

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
How does marth beat link's bombs? I feel like every time link throws a bomb at me I have to react either by shielding or trying to run away. Either one always forces me into a disadvantage. Is it possible to space a move so that only the blade hits it? Or should I be playing more aggressive so he doesn't have time to pull one out in the first place?
I actually grab the bombs. Although Marth's item throws suck so I either stick to just simply throwing it with A or dropping it with Z.
If you feel like experimenting, your side-B hits bombs without detonating them.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'd love to be able to dash dance for spacing, then dash back, turn, and go into a ftilt, jab, Utilt, Dtilt, etc. But I always thought it was too difficult to get consistently. Going directly from control stick mashing to soft tilt inputs in like a 2 frame window. But, are there people who can do that consistently?
Yes there are. Rat consistently does dash dance into ftilt as samus. He has also been working on pivot utilts. Its quite incredible and im envious

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yes there are. Rat consistently does dash dance into ftilt as samus. He has also been working on pivot utilts. Its quite incredible and im envious
**** that. Now I have to go practice this ****. At least I have a reliable control stick to work with.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Focus on pivoting into stand before trying to add attacks in

So hit left->hit right->let go of right

Your character should be standing facing in the opposite direction
This is only possible with well played in controllers.
With new ones you'll always dash

:phone:

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
This is only possible with well played in controllers.
With new ones you'll always dash
True dat.

New controllers are the worst. I have this purple one I use as a dummy slot (when I want to practice against handicap bowser or whatever) and I literally can't wavedash with it. Like I press Y and nothing happens half the time. I have to push everything so hard to register..

Yah....

I hope my controller never breaks. :/

Well, if you want to do it perfectly, its a tight window, but its not as tough as anything else would be if you practice pivot->stand->attack. There is no timing restriction between stand and attack so you can technically wait as long as youre comfortable to throw out a move. But, since you let go of the control stick during the pivot->stand, transitioning to attacks is easy, and the method as a whole can be as fast or close to as fast as the less consistent methods (pivot straight to tilt).

The hardest thing about pivoting is doing it at different distances. Applying it in match, beyond a few simple tricks (which are great btw! learning to mispace fair->dash away->pivot fsmash will make you better on its own) is quite a process.

Blood Falcon11

Smash Apprentice
What should I look out for in a Marth VS Young Link matchup? I know to swat away bombs, but can I edgeguard him?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
grab edge -> hit away while you're invincible
stand on stage and space dtilt

luckily YL's grapple recovery is really ****ty

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
How do I DI ICs stuff? Specifically dthrow -> dair I guess, because afaik the others are either inescapable or just survival DI for the smashes.

And while we're at it, should I be actively trying to split them up, or is staying back and fairing the better option? I'm guessing the latter.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
How do I DI ICs stuff? Specifically dthrow -> dair I guess, because afaik the others are either inescapable or just survival DI for the smashes.

And while we're at it, should I be actively trying to split them up, or is staying back and fairing the better option? I'm guessing the latter.
I always half-circle DI the upper hemisphere rapidly this usually gets me the smash DI up to be able to jump before the grab (so 0-90-180-90-0 etc.).

you can pretty effectively wall off ice climbers pretty well with intelligent use of dtilt/overb/jab. Just be aware of their wavedash speed and know when they can reach you.

You can also platform camp pretty well against icies imo, as if your on a platform and they approach you can drop through di-ing backwards and fair and they can't really punish it. And if they get frustrated enough to try jumping onto the platform you can easily abuse that.

You can go a little crazier when you split them up, but it's not a set in stone thing that you should actively try or not. If it works then it works. Remember that jab is enough to kill nana out of her trying to doublejump back on the stage(rather than doing something really laggy like fsmash). You have to really know the timing of when nana typically jumps as you can't let her get too close obviously.

Marth pretty much has all the priority here, and ice climbers aren't exactly fast besides wavedashes and desync approaches. Marth wins this more by attrition and wrecking them when they get desynced near edges. But the more predictable you get (which is really really easy in this matchup it tends to draw out) the more even the matchup will become as good ice climbers will figure out better timings to hit you out of your wall attempts.

Just need to be good at mixup timings. And my advice to you also is, if your ever in a situation where you want to spotdodge just roll XD.

Top Bottom