• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I wonder if I've done that subconsciously...

I just sit there and jab like a doofus most of the time though. **** I love jab.

Speaking of illusions - so what's with the shortened illusion/phantasm and why can't I ever attack it. It seems so much harder to hit.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
so something i found out that's really fantastic against falco's recovery (forward B, at least)

is to just crouch
and then tap A to d-tilt if he aims his forward B low
or quarter (or 1/8th) circle forward and tap A if you want to forward tilt (when he aims his forward B at your face)

so you don't have to really anticipate his forward B height (or react quickly to it) and so you greatly reduce the risk of accidentally doing a dash attack, f-smash, walking towards the ledge, etc.

if he does up B, this may still work anyway LOL
I really like this. I think I used to do delayed SH Fair to cover a lot of those options, but this probably works well too. I'm definitely gonna start messing with this lol.

MT_

Smash Ace
Just had my best showing in a decently sized tournament (31 entrants) ever lol.

Will be asking for how to play against Roy soon. Sethlon ***** me >_>. Vids will be up soon I think.

:phone:

Dart!

Smash Master
Just don't jump at roy. I'm going to just state this right now you probably jumped at him and let him grab/dtilt you.

MT_

Smash Ace
Just don't jump at roy. I'm going to just state this right now you probably jumped at him and let him grab/dtilt you.
So true lol. Sethlon is also incredible at the neutral game, and his dtilt game is scary as hell. Haha.

:phone:

Dart!

Smash Master
bones i read your posts and then look at your avatar so it makes me read all of your posts with him narrating them...LOL

Bones0

Smash Legend
I do that with everyone's avatars. You'd think after mistaking 10 or so skinny white kids with famous black guys that I would catch on, but alas, I continue to fail...

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
I hit the poof with a move so that the damage clanks. Or normal get up. Those are the only two options.

I do the same **** with Fox. Sheik going up onto the stage with poof? Ledgejump nair to kick the poof, land and **** them in the face.
i'm kind of confused cactuar. Are you saying that hitting the poof cancels the hitbox? or are you saying that you hit the sheik out of the poor so that it doesn't go off.

i thought poof is considered an aerial move and only ground moves can clank.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Poof can clank because it's considered a projectile (Otherwise Sheik would randomly freeze during teleportation due to hitlag)

Bones0

Smash Legend
I hope I sound like Donald Duck.
No. Your avatar reminds me of THIS (I know it's a chicken, not a duck, but w/e).

do i make anyone's heart ring with nostalgia?
The only thing I remember from that show is the strangely Jamaican-sounding intro and Arthur saying "DW" in that insanely whiney voice. Now that I think about it, everyone on that show is extremely *****y and annoying...

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I sound like good things to come, probably.

Or maybe I still sound like Colette to people.... Hmmmm...

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so when you clank an attack does the hitbox disappear? i don't know the exact rules i just know that i can't hit my opponents with my fsmash when they clank it.

just want to make sure i am understanding what cactuar is saying correctly. Honestly this is probably the single most useful thing i've learned vs sheik on the boards in the last year..wish i'd known earlier.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you can't reflect poof; it's coded as a projectile but the hitbox's data doesn't have it set as "reflectable". moves like fox illusion and falco phantasm are also coded as projectiles ("Articles") to prevent weird hitlag freezing when a hitbox way behind them hits something.

When you clank the hitbox disappears.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I love how all the valuable Marth discussion is happening on the Fox and Falco boards right now.

Marth boards 2012. Get @ us.

(though I really want to know more about the clanking stuff Cactus!
So if you see her poof onstage just fair it and punish the landing lag?
Revolutionary..)

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I thought most people knew about that...

It's really easy to not know what stuff in your own arsenal is common knowledge and what isn't. My b.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
maybe this explains the weird hitbox properties of the poof..a few times when i poofed from under the stage (i don't remember if it was into the stage or upwards) my explosion didn't occur..maybe the hitbox cancels out somehow by gliding against FD...i never did figure out exactly why that bug was occurring.

and you can already grab the ledge in between shino stalls..it's not hard..what is hard for me at least is running down from respawn and doing it perfectly with waiting as if you have no fear

Niko45

Smash Master
I always felt that sheik could still go for the ledge if you leave the ledge to clank with poof so I don't really use it very much unless she's really committed herself over the stage.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
yeah, but honestly i have been cnofused abuot how to deal with when they try to force the explosion on you, so with this i now have a pretty decent coverage of sheik's options..not saying i will remember to use them in tourney but at least in testing i have proper coverage

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I mean maybe I'm out of the loop but I've never seen anyone even attempt this. So its new for me.

I've gotta test it a bunch, but the potential for implementation seems rather good actually.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I've done it before, thought "oh yeah that'd be good" and then never did it again lol. It's not totally necessary imo but it does some tight spots better.

@Niko: I would only use this upon seeing Sheik hit the stage with the poof so I could chase her if she vanished onto a platform/farther into the middle of the stage. Like she up-Bs right through me onto the stage or something. In that case it just requires reaction time so I don't get hit first lol.

Bing

Smash Master
Okay so I was trying this out yesterday against some newer players but I was wondering if this work in a more legit match. At early percents, f-throw,f-throw f-tilt to get them offstage. It was working against the newer guys but I dont know if theres way around it.. any thoughts?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Okay so I was trying this out yesterday against some newer players but I was wondering if this work in a more legit match. At early percents, f-throw,f-throw f-tilt to get them offstage. It was working against the newer guys but I dont know if theres way around it.. any thoughts?
What character? If you're talking spacies, fthrow -> fthrow is never guaranteed. I would only use it on Falco at 0% because you can't regrab if he DIs behind you. Fthrow -> ftilt definitely won't work unless they DI in, and if you're goal is to just get them off stage, uthrow fsmash would send them further and is guaranteed to land under 80ish% anyway.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
I think the point in which clanking the poof would be necessary is if she somehow gets close enough to poof you while you are holding the ledge, in which case rolling up would give her enough time to grab it, but she should never really be getting that close.

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman
What character? If you're talking spacies, fthrow -> fthrow is never guaranteed. I would only use it on Falco at 0% because you can't regrab if he DIs behind you. Fthrow -> ftilt definitely won't work unless they DI in, and if you're goal is to just get them off stage, uthrow fsmash would send them further and is guaranteed to land under 80ish% anyway.
up throw fsmash is actually only guaranteed from like 30-70% if its below 30 they will hit the ground/be able to shine before fsmash comes out and above 70ish they can just jump out

Top Bottom