• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I've been playing around with lots of reverse dolphin slash tech chases actually haha. Usually I call the roll first(get there from a weird throw/Fair situation sometimes) and do the up B. I found that Twitch likes to CC to beat any aerials or tilts I could use to tech chase(with Sheik or Fox, both of which can punish you pretty hard out of a CC), so I simply dolphin slashed before the CC could come out or his percent was too high for the CC to work(sick around 70%ish lol). Sick edgeguard opportunities there, and if he starts DI'ing in after a roll then I could Dtilt combo or Fthrow kill combo at the right percentages.

@Beat: Dsmash is a lolzy tech chase move but I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes it covers almost every option and sometimes it is a wild silly guess hahaha. =p That tipper though...

Beat!

Smash Master
Yeah, sometimes you get that perfect option coverage-->tipper kill and everyone in the room goes crazy and you da bess etc and sometimes it's like why the **** am I trying to tech chase with this pathetic excuse for a move.

Quite the emotional attack.

I used to tech chase with dolphin slash a lot. Dunno why I stopped... worked hella good a lot of the time. *mental note*

mexicanmax227

Smash Apprentice
whenever I get smash attaced by marth can you sheild drop sword dance that? Ok so ive been reading and when i say SHEILD DROP i mean letting go of your sheild. I dont mean dropping from a plat while in sheild.

Bones0

Smash Legend
It's actually 1 frame faster to WD OoS in place than it is to just let go of shield (as Marth, assuming you WD frame perfect). More importantly, you can't punish Marth's tipper fsmash, but you probably could closer to the hilt.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Yo Niko I gotta thank you man you appeared to me in an epiphany last night when I remembered your post saying "just run up and grab people to keep em honest" or something and it worked like a charm. Helped me tons in the sheik mu.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Kind of an odd question, but what should I do against spotdodge happy spacies? Spacing a short-hopped nair right near the tip seemed to help a little, but I was overall pretty disappointed with how badly spotdodging messed me up.

Niko45

Smash Master
There are 2 scenarios where you can get spot dodged a lot.

1 - Slow reactions on things that you should be able to punish like tech chase grab, pivot grabbing early aerial.

2 - Trying to punish things directly that you don't quite have time to do like when a spacie side Bs through your shield but is too far away to get to in time with a WD grab.

So which one do you think is giving you problems?

General answers for spotdodging are nair, like you said, as well as waiting for them in spots where they commonly do them and then punishing afterwards.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Well that pretty much summed up my entire playstyle- trying to punish things I don't have time to and reacting too slowly hahaha. Hmm. I'll try to work on baiting them out and then punishing, and being more timely with the punishes themselves. Thanks!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I LOVE just standing and waiting, then grabbing a spotdodge. Seriously one of the most fulfilling things I do in this game lmao.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so i have a random story to tell..yesterday I was at a tourney in which i got wrecked by Ice climbers as marth...

So I asked PP for some tips, and mentioned that I had trouble because the ICs were shielding so I wasn't sure whether to grab, he said that could either poke with dtilt or just throw real quickly (though I had heard they just dsmash you before you can throw if they're fast)....but anyways, long story short, PP played one of the ICs with marth and was getting ***** trying to poke shields...and then one stock, he just started grabbing that freaking shield....and suddenly the whole matchup changed and PP just started slaughtering him off everything, the guy grew afraid to shield and just got wtfpwned....

but anyway, the bigger thing I got out of this is that marth doesn't seem to have very good chances against ICs who are playing from shield if they aren't willing ot take the risk and grab....and I had heard IC players before say that they can just punish those grabs on reaction..but is that really possible or is this merely IC propaganda? because PP sure as hell wasn't getting punished on grabs, and I didn't get punished either when I tried it later and started doing a lot better...

I mean those ICs aren't wobbles or chu, but I am really curious, is an immediate fthrow/dthrow safe against punish? you get invuln while you throw I thought, so fthrow at least ought to be safe, while dthrow is probably not as safe but you split them up.

thought/comments welcome

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
im really mediocre against ICs

but im able to grab wobbles sometimes........ yeah, that's all i've got LOL

Niko45

Smash Master
ICs vs Marth is completely unplayable imo and my plan has been to not get unlucky and avoid them in tournaments.

Hasn't worked out thus far.

:phone:

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so it is possible to fthrow occasionally at least without getting punished...

do you risk using dthrow ever? also i was considering upthrowing popo if I manage to separate him from nana...is upthrow good for keeping them separated? all the marths i see use dair or single hits to keep them out but I was thinking that if you upthrow into upair then even if nana runs up. popo should be in the air and be out of command range so now you can do whatever you want....but this is just theorycrafting..need tai or someone to post a guide on ICs

oh while we're telling stories.. one of my training partners, redd, had the most epic match of marth vs sheik in grand finals vs pp's marth.

the coolest thing was that he kept trying to spotdodge and grab marth, but everytime he tried, PP's grab was spaced out of range of sheik's grab, like 5 times in like 30 sec..so just perfectly space your grabs always and you will never have to deal with that spotdodge grab stuff from sheik.

edit: and yeah, no matter how i place it I still don't see how that matchup could ever get past even...even PP was struggling a bit against a player lower level than him.. I think a lot of the problem stems from ICs having a projectile and a ridiculous out of shield/CC game...if they just didn't have the projectile you wouldn't have to risk approaching them, but as it is you have no choice..

second question...nair vs ICs...sometimes it's weird and it only hits nana and not popo..is this because of shield timings? or is nana more likely to get shield poked..i just ask because out of 8 rounds of the matchup that i got to play between tourney and friendlies, i literally managed to kill nana instantly below 40 3 times from just nair tip fsmash...

and i couldn't figure out what was happening cause I was under too much stress...but popo seemed to be able to dodge/shield in time but then nana just died

Beat!

Smash Master
Were any vids from the tourney recorded?

I have very little experience vs ICs, so I can't really help with that :/. I played a couple of friendlies vs Smasher89 in Norway, but that's pretty much it, at least as far as actual ICs mains go...

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
I'm a no-namer and even I can grab Fly Amanita's IC's.

While IC's certainly do have options on reaction against grabs, if you throw fast enough it's very difficult for them to pull it off.

If I recall, there's about a 6 frame delay between the Popo and Nana's actions. So you might have been getting nana because of that delay.

Since throws are weight based, I thought Fthrow/Uthrow were fastest (and the least lag).

shmeargle

Smash Apprentice
edit: and yeah, no matter how i place it I still don't see how that matchup could ever get past even...even PP was struggling a bit against a player lower level than him.. I think a lot of the problem stems from ICs having a projectile and a ridiculous out of shield/CC game...if they just didn't have the projectile you wouldn't have to risk approaching them, but as it is you have no choice..

then nana just died
IC's don't have THAT great of a Oos game or CC. They could Bair you but the thing is that they have limited options if they are facing you. A lot of ICs play facing backwards as a result unless they can just desynch blizzard you or go for a grab. Also they slide a lot. The only projectile you usually got to watch out for is the blizzard in the neutral game and not panic when they edgeguard you with an ice block. You could also cut through their ice blocks. You could go into the ICs forum to understand their character a lot better and develop counter measures for them. It's always good to keep ICs in the air because you do way more damage to them when they're in the air.

:phone:

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
sorry there were no vids..it made me so sad as that is probably the highest level of sheik vs marth matches that have happened in a while and we could have learned a lot..i only caught the last 3 stocks of 1 round out of 5 matches too:\

who knows what other crazy stuff pp was using...

yeah i have already read everything i could find in the IC guides, but maybe i will probe the IC boards later for more info..

however, today was my first day of anti-IC training and it went well..the most important thing I learned is that when nana leaves popo's zone of control she does not respond to player commands again even if she reenters the zone of control until she has resynched with the player...

so basicaly when you split nana, if you focus on popo, nana won't do jack until she gets nearby..

I had heard that ICs could command her to do dash attacks and stuff, but basically she's dead weight..and solo pp is garbage....so basically I just focused on popo exclusively..if i could get one hit that even partially separated them...say i popped up popo in the air with a tip fair..i would immediately stop looking at nana and focus my attention on comboing popo...

it worked really well, nana jabbed me once and interrupted me that way but for the most part..rushing popo down when nana is gone worked really really really well

also @shmeargle
define good out of shield game then...it's better than marth's..and I agree the CC isn't that scary...

but wavedash out of shield jab dsmash is ridiculously good

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I didn't like my Marth that tournament. Not really sure why lol.

Redd(Sheik) caught me with a ton of dash attacks. I always thought Sheik just camped me and tilt ***** me, so I was surprised when that happened so much. It makes sense when I always run in after he spaces a Fair to dash attack or dash back into SH/tilt/shield mixup. I should just be trickier, I usually had stage control to play around with and I didn't really take advantage of that fact often enough. I also think he got me on some weird edge play stuff that confused me lol. I don't really remember it though.

Against ICs, I still feel like super delayed Fair and Dtilt at various ranges are really good. Nair is **** sometimes because ICs like moving after they see a sword swing sometimes and it is pretty good at poking one shield. This can be **** because if you poke one shield then you can move past one IC that will have to be predicting you to stay on place or move backward and will likely WD OOS towards you, leaving the other punishable(even with delay I think nana would still WD towards you if you hit popo but maybe not). Grabbing is cool when their percents get higher(thrown characters sort of act as projectiles then) or they're not totally synced(like when they sort of get desync'd WD'ing around or dashing from a WD into shield or something else wonky like that).

Oh btw Niko, that Sheik upthrow uptilt thing was totally wrong, my bad. Twitch failed some DI tests early on when I was messing with that <.<
I can only get upthrow uptilt to combo for sure around like 23-30ish% and the rest of the time I just get favorable positions, which I'm working on mastering because Sheik can't get too far and that can totally be a stock still. Progress on this throw stuff is slow because I'm doing some Falco training at the same time.

(KP I'll get back to you on all the Upthrow stuff eventually <333)

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
1. yeah, getting the favorable positions against wasn't that bad on FD..honestly i'm no longer worried about getting stuff off upthrow on FD, with practice I'm pretty consistently getting something...though any cool nice combo strings/videos are always nice.

I think:

There are still some percents and throw angles on platform stages where the top platform can not be reached with a full hop fair in time...and tipped upair doesn't get much...but you have a good chance of getting good stuffwhen they try to get down, so i think i'm going to refocus my game around punishing sheiks when they leave the top platform.

2. In regard to your vs ICs matches
thanks pp for reminding me about super delayed fair. it's so hard to remember your matches without vids, but now i can remember a little bit more...

dtilt used sparingly seemed to do ok, i would not say based on those two rounds that it was great. the risk reward seemed about neutral..aka very little risk, very little reward. you hit it a bunch but got punished for it once for almost a stock.

but the super delayed fairs got you a lot actually, it allowed you to get inside and dash dance at closer ranges and made him scared to shield grab but unsure of whether to wavedash from shield or not...or at least that is my interpretation of it. he seemed scared to move out of shield when you did it..i guess ICs are afraid of trading stage position with marth so that they end up near the ledge if you dashed through them instead of going away while they wavedashed towards the edge thinking you would go that way.

what clever things can you do with the extra space other than dashdance a bit in marth vs sheik?

right now my opinion on marth vs sheik is that the best spacing is just outside dash attack range, so if they are boxed outside of the ledge they are under pressure, but they can't sit there forever cause you can space a short hop in and take control since they have nowhere to dodge

Niko45

Smash Master
I like to attack top platforms with bair as well. The hitbox on that move is un****ingbelievable and hits directly above Marth. And if they're above like 20% you can drift over to the side platform and combo falling fair into more fairs etc.

PP - sucks about that uthrow thing but yea can still control her in the air pretty well.

Although I have to say I suck at doing it on FD for some reason. I think having platforms to hide under helps me a lot.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
1. yeah, getting the favorable positions against wasn't that bad on FD..honestly i'm no longer worried about getting stuff off upthrow on FD, with practice I'm pretty consistently getting something...though any cool nice combo strings/videos are always nice.

I think:

There are still some percents and throw angles on platform stages where the top platform can not be reached with a full hop fair in time...and tipped upair doesn't get much...but you have a good chance of getting good stuffwhen they try to get down, so i think i'm going to refocus my game around punishing sheiks when they leave the top platform.

2. In regard to your vs ICs matches
thanks pp for reminding me about super delayed fair. it's so hard to remember your matches without vids, but now i can remember a little bit more...

dtilt used sparingly seemed to do ok, i would not say based on those two rounds that it was great. the risk reward seemed about neutral..aka very little risk, very little reward. you hit it a bunch but got punished for it once for almost a stock.

but the super delayed fairs got you a lot actually, it allowed you to get inside and dash dance at closer ranges and made him scared to shield grab but unsure of whether to wavedash from shield or not...or at least that is my interpretation of it. he seemed scared to move out of shield when you did it..i guess ICs are afraid of trading stage position with marth so that they end up near the ledge if you dashed through them instead of going away while they wavedashed towards the edge thinking you would go that way.

what clever things can you do with the extra space other than dashdance a bit in marth vs sheik?

right now my opinion on marth vs sheik is that the best spacing is just outside dash attack range, so if they are boxed outside of the ledge they are under pressure, but they can't sit there forever cause you can space a short hop in and take control since they have nowhere to dodge
If I think Sheik can reach the top platform in a way I can't follow up like that, then I Fthrow or Dthrow lol. A grounded tech chase/free Fsmash or aerial followup is better than a maybe DJ Uair hit lol.

@ICs: I had to play him a while after the set to figure out when Dtilt is good. Dtilt depends a ton on what you do after it. I don't know what I did in the set, but if I dtilted and jumped backwards much after, then he probably WD'd OOS and smashed me for it. Dtilt quick Fair or double Dtilt or Dtilt jab are all things that allow Marth to do Dtilts to delayed Fairs so that ICs stay stuck in their position, and I just didn't take advantage of my options well enough because I had been playing Falco all day. After I played a while this felt correct though.

Oh, and delayed Fairs give me frame advantage, which is why he won't rush out and attack me. It's ****. =)

3. WAVEDASH. I seriously underestimated Marth's WD until Twitch's sheik started ****** me for DD'ing predictably. Unless you DD for eternity and have more patience than the Sheik, you need to WD to mess with them. WDs are faster than we usually use them, and it's so **** that Marth's WD is huge and all of his sick ground moves like Ftilt can be used from a WD. Sheik knows options from a dash in like Nair/delayed Fair/dash canceled Dtilt, but when you WD in you could just dash back or WD back or you could use ANY of your ground moves OR you could do any of that aerial stuff as well.

Also, SH'ing a little outside Sheik's Ftilt range is good when mixed in to all of this because Fair is good at stuffing Ftilt approaches and if you time it right it can go over dash attack(haven't gotten this down perfectly yet but it's a pretty solid strategy).

I like to attack top platforms with bair as well. The hitbox on that move is un****ingbelievable and hits directly above Marth. And if they're above like 20% you can drift over to the side platform and combo falling fair into more fairs etc.

PP - sucks about that uthrow thing but yea can still control her in the air pretty well.

Although I have to say I suck at doing it on FD for some reason. I think having platforms to hide under helps me a lot.
Bair *****. I dunno why no one uses it closer to the ground anymore. That move, for its range, has deceptively little lag. It also autocancels if you SH it and you can jump out of the SH rising Bair if you want.

If you like having platforms then you like hitting landing lag probably. You just need to remember you outrange Sheik when you're directly below her and can turn everything into a guessing game in your favor on FD. Uptilt wrecks her when you're below her, and if you Uair right before you uptilt you'll also cover any airdodge shenanigans too. Fair/Bair(rising or delayed) are also pretty good to be mixed in with this juggle stuff on FD as well because you can take this juggle and turn it into a gimp or kill combo.

Niko45

Smash Master
I think I overpursue at full hop height on FD instead of being more patient and waiting on the ground for her. Bad habits ftl. Even if I swat her at super low % at that height she can combo me out of it...

Fair dtilt pressure's pretty decent and you have some nice mixups with dtilt into double fair dtilt and many other variations. Don't fair/dtilt into jab tho...crazy punishable on block, not to mention CCable.

About wavedashing - I've said this a billion times at this point but wavedash forward grab is the business with Marth cause when you wavedash at people it triggers shielding cause Marth is a big threat to swing after a WD (WD fsmash/tilts like you said).

About bair - If, god forbid, your shield is being pressured by someone from behind, bairing oos while moving away from them is one of your best options. Bair in general is just great for controlling the air while you have people above you, and also for hitting people from those positions in a way that doesn't just damage rack the way up air often does on floaties. Push people off stage.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I think I overpursue at full hop height on FD instead of being more patient and waiting on the ground for her. Bad habits ftl. Even if I swat her at super low % at that height she can combo me out of it...

Fair dtilt pressure's pretty decent and you have some nice mixups with dtilt into double fair dtilt and many other variations. Don't fair/dtilt into jab tho...crazy punishable on block, not to mention CCable.

About wavedashing - I've said this a billion times at this point but wavedash forward grab is the business with Marth cause when you wavedash at people it triggers shielding cause Marth is a big threat to swing after a WD (WD fsmash/tilts like you said).
Well if you want, you can empty SH and then DJ tippered Uair or just fall and wait. You'll still get to jump, just not FH lol.

I usually only jab after Dtilt/Fair once in a while, and at tipperish range. It's good for forcing people back when they really want to come at you.

WD forward grab sounds good. I may just start doing that, nice idea.

Niko45

Smash Master
Well just saying if wobbling is on and you jab a shield of a good ICs player you're dead.

Landing a jab doesn't really get you anything anyway so tbh I think that's just 100% bad.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
yeah, i keep forgetting fthrow and dthrow can be good against sheik.

"Also, SH'ing a little outside Sheik's Ftilt range is good when mixed in to all of this because Fair is good at stuffing Ftilt approaches and if you time it right it can go over dash attack(haven't gotten this down perfectly yet but it's a pretty solid strategy)."

a little outside her ftilt range or a little outside her dash attack range..i'm confused because empty hopping might go over her dash attack if she did it immediately, but then if she just stood there she would dash attack/grab you as you started to come down..or is this supposed to be still within fair range?

this is really hard to visualize without a picture or a video

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i think they can't grab it, but if they attempt to move and CC while doing it they will CC wavedash grab/jab/dsmash

that said, I don't think it's a guaranteed punish but they will gain advantage for relatively low benefit so i think double dtilt seems to be better..

at mid-high percents i think jab might be safe but i haven't tested jab usage much except against jiggs so i don't know

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Jab is only a once in a while thing lol. They shouldn't be trying to CC it if you aren't using it often. Keeps you from being stale *shrug*

I guess at higher percents it could be a little better because people will try to naturally CC less.

Niko45

Smash Master
I don't see why they wouldn't be CCing regardless of what you're doing.

If they can't WD grab it (20 frames of cool down on jab) they can most definitely WD jab grab it which is standard ICs bnb.

In general I really don't think it's a good idea to empty short hop at a grounded sheik.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't see why they wouldn't be CCing regardless of what you're doing.

If they can't WD grab it (20 frames of cool down on jab) they can most definitely WD jab grab it which is standard ICs bnb.

In general I really don't think it's a good idea to empty short hop at a grounded sheik.
People aren't always CC'ing lol. If you space a couple moves on someone CC'ing then they put up shield and stop doing it so much. I guess it just depends on the player.

@jab: Frame-wise, you're probably totally right. That's not exactly what I'm arguing though. When you jab someone that is trying to hit you, in my experience, they will stop attacking and either retreat or put up shield if you hit them with tippered jab. The realization that they can't hit you when they thought they could hit you combined with suddenly being hit is a big momentum switch that tends to freeze/throw off most people. If you don't like it, that's fine. I don't like it except as a rare mixup that tends to produce good results, so take that for what it's worth lol. I also only like it against Falco, Marth, ICs kinda, and probably most mid tiers/bad characters. I probably also like it against Peach but I just don't play that matchup much lol.

Again, the move is pretty situational and conditioning-based. I am not saying that jab should be a staple.

Top Bottom