• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Niko45

Smash Master
Arcnatural, who is really good at SDIing Fox uair, told me you should actually start the SDI early, before Fox actually hits you.

He said basically do your SDI right as Fox jumps at you.

He also said when you SDI don't just hit left or right, but do a quarter circle motion in those directions. So like move the control stick from 6 oclock to 3 oclock. This gives you a chance to hit both sideways and upwards SDI, increasing your chances of escaping.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Arcnatural, who is really good at SDIing Fox uair, told me you should actually start the SDI early, before Fox actually hits you.

He said basically do your SDI right as Fox jumps at you.

He also said when you SDI don't just hit left or right, but do a quarter circle motion in those directions. So like move the control stick from 6 oclock to 3 oclock. This gives you a chance to hit both sideways and upwards SDI, increasing your chances of escaping.
How would you SDI up when going to 6o'. do you mean 12o'? And if so, what's the timing so you don't waste your jump?

Niko45

Smash Master
Because you're rotating upwards. Like I said you start this before he even hits you so the fact that you pressed down initially won't be a problem if you do it right. You could probably also rotate from 3 to 12 too if you prefer that.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Because you're rotating upwards. Like I said you start this before he even hits you so the fact that you pressed down initially won't be a problem if you do it right. You could probably also rotate from 3 to 12 too if you prefer that.
Am I missing something? 6 is down and 12 is up right? Standard clock face and all. Oh wait...you mean because the control stick is in an upwards motion at the time of the hit even though it isn't passing the mid way point of its full rotation. I get it.

Niko45

Smash Master
That's funny, cause I was actually using a lot of white Marth yesterday lollllll. It was just cause the TV I was playing on was stupidly dark, though.

I actually like it tho, I felt like with Marth standing out from the background so well it was easier to space and stuff. Too bad white Marth is mad ghey.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I am playing white Marth, you guys get lost.

@Niko. TY so much for the Fox Uthrow>Uair DI. That whole 6 to 12 o clock worked out very very well. I practiced for just like 3 mins with my little brother and I DI'ed like 7 in a row. I usually can't do 2 lol.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Is there a certain position where even if you get the timing right the 2nd hitbox will connect?
Like if fox's body completely overlaps marth?

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Nah I don't think so Ace. If that was the case then Marth wouldn't be able to DI it at 0, and Marth's always do that.

How important is lightshielding vs Falco? I keep hearing that it's AMAZING but I never see anyone do it. Can I get some feedback?

MT_

Smash Ace
Lightshielding is alright if you're struggling with finding the loopholes in their shield pressure and they are reading your escapes (also GREAT if you find yourself constantly getting shield-poked). The thing is you quickly get pushed to the edge of the stage, resulting in loss of stage control. Broly is a marth player that light shields against spacies a lot, though I don't know if he has many vids up demonstrating that (he also plays way different than most marths considering he can't use his hands lol).

Also, I feel like lightshielding limits your options to retaliate (like fair OOS) but that might just be because I haven't become fully accustomed to the shield stun timings on a light shield.

I feel like lightshielding is almost necessary against dealing with Peach's FC nair->down-smash shield pressure. You almost always get poked by that **** if you don't light shield.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I thought light shielding was good vs falco cause if you slide JUST out of the way from one of his aerials you can grab em.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Haven't decided yet. It's my bday, but I don't have plans yet. I would consider coming... if we can throw a bday smashfest somewhere afterwards...

SnakeMan

Smash Cadet
Page 420. Sweet.

Peach matchup is... Ughh.
To me it feels like it should be way easier than it is for sum reason. But its just a war of attrition. Gotta take your time, carefully space everything safe, and never press down lol.

:phone:

Dart!

Smash Master
Happy birthday cactuar. i would say get drunk and smash but you were way ahead of me on that one at pound hahaha

Niko45

Smash Master
Problem is once she actually gets the hit on you its so so sooooo hard to get back in control. Nairs **** Marth from below and she's great at pressuring you as you come off the ledge. With turnips and dash attack she covers a ton of space on the ground that may seem safe but is actually covered with more peach momentum if you try to reset yourself there.

Niko45

Smash Master
*the best

I may drink a 40 before every tournament from here on out. No Johns starts so late I'm debating going to happy hour.

Max?

Smash Champion
Cactuar if you do come out we probably would end up having a chill session/smashfest somewhere afterwards. It's either gonna end up at PC's or at R00R's place most likely.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
How the hell do i edgeguard Luigi? Niko says bair is good. SO just chill on ledge, when he fires bair him?
I need to know since there is gonna be 3 **** luigi's at no johns :(

Niko45

Smash Master
There are basically 2 things Luigi will do once he is below the stage and has already side B'd as much as is optimal.

He can up B or he can air dodge to the stage (his air dodge is really long).

He may or may not use a tornado stall to throw you off.

Basically, if he is going to up B you want to just keep refreshing your invince frames up high (do not drop below the ledge to refresh, let go and DJ immediately then fastfall back down to ledge). He can just be edgehogged like this once you get the timing down.

If he double-jumps and then air dodges to the stage, I honestly don't know what you should do. I'm still working on that. There's plenty of ways to hit him, but I don't really know how to fully KO edgeguard him still once he does that, at least not consistently.

Of course from on stage fsmash or weak fair a side B if the opportunity is there (don't challenge a side B before you know if it's a misfire or not).

Or, if you find yourself struggling to edgeguard him in general, you may want to gamble that he won't misfire and just jump out at him at all times with weak fairs and also letting side B hit you out over the edge ***** his recovery since his distance is stuffed by hitting you and then he loses lots of height from the lag. Again, if he misfires you are going to be hurting so I wouldn't do this unless you don't feel confident you can edgeguard him cleanly.

Jun.

Smash Lord
discuss how to bait rolls and the best punishes for baited rolls?
You stand in sword range and do nothing to bait rolls.

Punish depends on character and positioning. Grabs are often lead to solid punishes and forward smash also covers lots of area but only should be used if you're certain it'll hit/tip.

Niko45

Smash Master
Fairing or down tilting a shield should be primetime for looking for rolls. You can basically punish them automatically on reaction by dashing away, which is a good habit anyway, then dash back grab on reaction to the roll. If you want to fsmash them, I prefer to wavedash back instead of dash.

:phone:

Jonas

Smash Champion
There is not a single way to bait rolls that just works every time. Pay attention to his roll patterns and take note situations where he likes to roll.
If your opponent doesn't show a tendency to do stupid rolls though, don't rely on him to do it.

kazedemon

Smash Rookie
I know that there isn't a single way to bait rolls that works every time, but I feel as if there's certain moves and movements that are safe enough for marth yet threatening enough for the opponent to be inclined to roll, doesn't mean the player can't resist the temptation. I just wanted to know what better players thought about that idea and what works for them.

And I know that all of this is situational, such as forcing them into a shield with fair and dtilt as niko said. Also, for example the temptation to roll increases when further out at the ledge, or stuff like that.

Correct me if i'm wrong lol

Top Bottom