• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there are several sfx that play on frames before the animation is noticeably different from the idle animations on several different moves. different things work for different people though.

Niko45

Smash Master
The important cues for me come from the sound of Marth's fair/fsmash/utilt letting me know if I tippered or not right away.

Also for edgeguarding spacies side B.

:phone:

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
The important cues for me come from the sound of Marth's fair/fsmash/utilt letting me know if I tippered or not right away.

Also for edgeguarding spacies side B.

:phone:
High level players also listen to the sound of the other players controller to figure out timing on certain things, or if they are trying to wiggle out of a grab, etc.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
I believe hit sounds are also the windows for SDI.
Like hitting someone with a tipper dtilt makes a longer TU-CHII!! sound than if you were to hit 'em with the middle of the sword or even the arm hitbox, giving a bigger window to SDI.
Like Jigg's rest must give a huuuge amount of SDI with KWAAANGG!!!
That being said, I need to learn my fox upair SDI so his first hitbox sounds while I'm rotating my stick.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
High level players also listen to the sound of the other players controller to figure out timing on certain things, or if they are trying to wiggle out of a grab, etc.
I don't think this is high level play so much as a gimmick of sorts. Like leffen said, you can't always hear the game sound if you're at a big tournament, so... good luck trying to hear the controller sounds.

I make use of controller sounds when I'm standing next to them and they're lying on the ground, to react to a getup attack, but I think this is a bad thing. It's not something I started doing on purpose, odd as that sounds.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Shine OOS is easier with sound.

I also find it helps me for chain grabs but that's more because Sheik has some distinct sounds she makes during it. Helps me find a rhythm to do it mechanically. But I could probably learn it by animation.

Visual can usually suffice but audio cues for certain recoveries are useful.

I don't think there's any excuse for being Falcon Punched ever short of edgeguarding and combos though. If you get Tapion'd, whatever. G-reg punched, whatever. It happens. It's very embarrassing but it happens. Arbitrary Falcon Punch though? Sorry, but no. That's horrific.

Walt

Smash Ace
Sound helps some people and doesn't help others. People play different dudes. I know Lucien can not play without sound and I know Shroomed always has headphones when he's playing.

crush

Smash Master
Sound helps some people and doesn't help others. People play different dudes. I know Lucien can not play without sound and I know Shroomed always has headphones when he's playing.
omg dude all the time ive read your posts ive looked at your avatar but never realized it was buckethead lol... i didnt even think of it until i accidentally read the word "funeral" and then remembered bucketheads kfc bucket and all that lol

I wonder what it would take to get everyone to shut-up for grand finals for the players to play in 'peace and quiet' and see how it turns out lol

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
you would hear extremely restrained grunts of exhilaration and tension. it would be hilarious

*mango upsmashes armada, armada di's and barely survives* (100 people at once) hhhHHHNNNNRRRGGGGKK!!!! gasp

Niko45

Smash Master
You know what's really ghey...

It used to be only Eggm could waveshine up smash me but now I'm noticing the number of foxes who do that to me is growing rapidly.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It's actually really easy, you don't even need to wavedash well if they don't SDI ... just wavedash and run JC upsmash and be fast about running out of the wavedash

Also WHY DOES THAT WORK ON KJ64 YOU CAN GO THROUGH THE LEDGE D:

Winston

Smash Master
Waveshine usmash is pretty much the same thing as waveshine grab, in the sense that you don't need a longer wavedash or anything to do it. Wavedash out of shine -> dash is the same, only difference is you JC grab in one case and JC usmash in the other. Usmash has slightly more range even.

I mean, don't foxes waveshine grab you regularly? So it's not so surprising.

Niko45

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure the window to grab off a waveshine is like 10x the size of a waveshine usmash.

Just because the windows start at the same time doesn't mean they end at the same time, right? Or maybe they do but I doubt it since its taken fox like 10 years to start doing this regularly.

Winston

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure the window to grab off a waveshine is like 10x the size of a waveshine usmash.

Just because the windows start at the same time doesn't mean they end at the same time, right? Or maybe they do but I doubt it since its taken fox like 10 years to start doing this regularly.
Hm? Grab and usmash take the same amount of time to start. (Grab might be a frame or two faster if you don't JC it, but usmash has slightly more range, so we'll call it equal).

The shine has the same amount of hitstun in both cases, and sends you the same distance in both cases. Fox's wavedash out of shine and dash is the same.

So basically, if you could have started shielding by the time the fox reaches you and usmashes, you almost certainly could have buffered a spotdodge to avoid a grab.

As for why it's taken foxes like 10 years to start doing this regularly... no idea.

Do you smash DI the shine away, btw?

Niko45

Smash Master
Huh, makes sense. Idk why it seems way way harder.

Yea I'll DI shines away but sometimes I get crossed up because I like to SDI ledgehop dairs behind fox and if I fail at that the shine will be DI'd inward.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Probably seems harder because you'll often get grabbed anyways if you don't buffer spotdodge, which I don't think is a habit yet for a lot of people

But you'll shield it if you're holding shield

Or Foxes are (were?) just bad at it ... the input is a little harder because you have to roll your thumb to Cstick up and press up on the control stick at the same time as opposed to just pressing jump+Z

Still, it's pretty easy if they're not SDIing xD

Dart!

Smash Master
IMO foxes would realize how ****ing good their char is against marth if they would do that everytime. seriously, can't be crouch canceled AND marth gets grabbed out of it? wtf.

Winston

Smash Master
IMO foxes would realize how ****ing good their char is against marth if they would do that everytime. seriously, can't be crouch canceled AND marth gets grabbed out of it? wtf.
do what, drill waveshine -> punish? I mean that's what we're trying to do... but approaching a Marth is risky business, so sometimes we get grabbed and ***** instead...

Dart!

Smash Master
do what, drill waveshine -> punish? I mean that's what we're trying to do... but approaching a Marth is risky business, so sometimes we get grabbed and ***** instead...
no. anytime they land a waveshine, just wavedash out dash grab. then ****.

Top Bottom