• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Travel. Find other people in your area. Recruit people to play the game.

You can't let logistical obstacles get in the way of your passion. If you have to work harder than you used to, then so be it. By being in GA you were going to have to work harder than someone from SoCal or NYC anyway; this is nothing new. But put enough hard work in and you will surpass them despite their advantages. I'm lecturing a bit, so I'll stop, especially because I don't think this (the heart and spirit of a champion) can be taught.

Besides, I'm beginning to sound like Kage. :o

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Travel. Find other people in your area. Recruit people to play the game.

You can't let logistical obstacles get in the way of your passion. If you have to work harder than you used to, then so be it. By being in GA you were going to have to work harder than someone from SoCal or NYC anyway; this is nothing new. But put enough hard work in and you will surpass them despite their advantages. I'm lecturing a bit, so I'll stop, especially because I don't think this (the heart and spirit of a champion) can be taught.

Besides, I'm beginning to sound like Kage. :o
Hard to travel when I have 2 full time jobs and a part time one

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the main problem is that most of the relevant characters do have 22 frame spotdodges (invinc 2-15 by my memory :p). i mean if you can keep that in mind yeah it'll be pretty legit. most people can't while under pressure.
I do on a weekly basis.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
So the only person in my immediate area that played Melee is on hiatus from said game. How am I supposed to get better now? I continue to practice tech skill and stuff against computers but...I feel like I can only go so far with that...
How far are you from the Mall of Georgia per chance?

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Hard to travel when I have 2 full time jobs and a part time one
Well ****.

How did you play before then? I'd think thats a much bigger obstacle than one of your friends quitting Melee.

the main problem is that most of the relevant characters do have 22 frame spotdodges (invinc 2-15 by my memory :p). i mean if you can keep that in mind yeah it'll be pretty legit. most people can't while under pressure.
I do on a weekly basis.
Nah I got this.

I think I can incorporate it. I do a **** ton of on-stage dairs (way more than most Marths I think) so this'll really help me.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I've never had a problem comboing late dair into grab. Rising dair will never combo into grab tho. Or are you saying the spacing is the issue because they are "inside" your grab range?
Yeah, this is what my issue is. Anybody have anything about this? Like, can you hit them with a late dair if they are right under you or close to it? I seem to always get the sourspot and get CC ***** when I try to bait rolls and dair.

Niko45

Smash Master
You pretty much just need to space better I think. And make sure you are FFing very late.

I don't really have a problem keeping MOST characters in front of me on their rolls in these situations because I'm always fading back with no fastfall after I've pressured them with a couple of fairs waiting to fair again if they advance or dair on reaction if they roll. Most characters I can dair late enough that I've faded to the point where my dair is hitting the end of their roll in front of me.

In addition to the spacing not working out if you dair them directly underneath you, I don't think you can true combo into grabs even if you sweet spot there because in order to sweet spot you need to be much higher up than if you dair in front of you with the beginning of the hitbox, and I think in the extra time it takes to get back to the ground, even with fastfall, they tend to buffer a sidestep before the grab comes out. So you're failing in both spacing and frame advantage this way. This is still a viable way to dair at higher percents tho because there are lofty windows for comboing off pop ups from this.

Dairing super late with the very beginning of the hitbox is ideal basically always tho. Who is rolling behind you? Sheik? Marth? They have really long rolls and I find I can't always keep them in front of me and therefore this is not the way I try to fight these characters for the most part due to it. But like, Samus, Doc, Luigi (just the first characters that came to mind that you generally want to pressure heavily with fair) all have way too slow/short rolls to keep you from dairing with them in front of you.

Edit: If you end up dairing somebody with sweetspot directly underneath you, try to get in the habit of dashing away immediately after you land. You're just acknowledging that you can't true combo off of it and it gives you a safe position to read what they do afterwards.

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
^ or you could be like Ken and try to reverse up-b your way out of early dairs. Haha not always the best decision, but it's flashy as hell and I guess if you're going to get hit, you're going to get hit either way and it doesn't matter.

edited for self grammar police.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
b b downb on shields, b b forwardb on hit and b b upb on wiff. I rarely use it, but i dont think the 4th hit a) hits often/ever because of (S)DI and b) doesn't surprise anyone into jumping into it.

mers

Smash Ace
I never even manage to hit people with the third hit, they always get out. Dancing Blade should be so wonderful, because it's fast and great for maintaining space, but it doesn't do **** when it hits (floaties at high percent are the exception).

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
what are some general tips vs jigglypuff and marth dittos?
If you dash grab jigglypuff instead of jc I think you can grab her.

Also if they don't DI you can do that jank-*** dthrow chaingrab lol.

I like to fthrow jiggs. She's such a floaty character that it puts her into a good position for a follow up move like WD forward utilt, etc. Most jiggs do like to bait the grab from Marth, so when I'm in shield I wait for a crouch and WD back fsmash. Usually works pretty good, once they start expecting that you can change it up pretty easily.

But yes, dash grab begins at Marth's foot, so it will grab a crouching jiggs.

Edge guarding jiggs is simply a matter of making them commit to something before reacting with an actual edge guard. They usually recover high, so I try to eliminate that option the best I can to make them try to grab the ledge (short hop in place works surprisingly well).

Tips for marth dittos? You can easily just watch an M2K set vs any Marth. It's pretty much the exact same thing every time. Chaingrab if fthrow if they don't DI down and away, and fthrow fsmash off the stage (again, if they don't DI down and away). There is a certain spacing that M2K keeps to edge guard a marth. He sits at tipper fsmash range. It covers almost all options.

stelzig

Smash Lord
If you dash grab jigglypuff instead of jc I think you can grab her.

Also if they don't DI you can do that jank-*** dthrow chaingrab lol.
Dashgrabbing a crouching puff doesn't seem to consistently work for me, it still misses sometimes =/

Last time I played a puff I found rising Bair to be pretty useful.

Niko45

Smash Master
If you dash grab a puff who is just sitting in crouch you can grab him.

However the initial part of Jiggs crouch is ungrabbable so if she times your grab attempt using crouch like a sidestep you can't grab him even with dash grab.

Imo It's better not to grab Jiggs at all until you've pressured him into shield.

Jonas

Smash Champion
If you're talking about Oskar, you can bait him into crouching by whiffing a few random jc grabs at a safe distance, and then you can just dash grab him. He's gullible like that lol ;)

stelzig

Smash Lord
... As niko just said you cannot dashgrab the initial crouch so how would that ever work? lol. This dashgrabbing thing is appearently only really useful for grabbing puffs that are already crouching which clears up so much for me :p

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
whoa

marth's jab comes out on frame 4
marth's d-smash comes out on frame 5
marth's u-tilt comes out on frame 6
marth's d-tilt comes out on frame 7

btw, fthrow -> WD -> tipper dsmash works well against peach and a lot of other floaties cuz tipper fsmash is too slow... frame 6 (i don't think the relevant part of the d-smash comes out until frame 6) as opposed to frame 12 (relevant part of the f-smash)
ask axe, taj, or DoH about it

if you use d-smash enough, you get a good idea of how to space the d-smash. tipper d-smash is also pretty groovy for getting sneaky kills on people when they roll up from the ledge after you up-B onto the stage.

earla

Smash Lord
what are some good ways to bait with marth?

is there any way to calculate shield dis/advantage for all marths moves on opponents shield? or is the data somewhere?
\
if you ledge dash with marth, how many frames of active invincibility do you get?

Top Bottom