• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
And after looking at those hitbox/hurtbox animations, it seems like either marth should be grabbed or hit. And that's what I'm not getting. Marth's grab will hit towards the center of his body along with his dtilt. Height might be an issue for the grab, but I cannot see why Dtilt is not making contact.
Marth leans forward during his grab. Dtilt's hitboxes are only attached to the sword. I can make a GIF or something when I get back in town on Sunday.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
I played Hbox's Puff some with Marth yesterday and won more than I lost I believe(it was friendlies though so take it for what you will...we weren't goofing off though lol).

I dunno if anyone has any questions about the matchup but juggling Puff is amazing and as long as you're patient it's super ****. Also stage control is the entire matchup it feels like.

I always JC my grabs and didn't get punished for it too hard(never rested). It's definitely more of a when Puff is shielding type deal instead of when Puff's in lag because she can somehow crouch out of lag. <.<

Ftilt and Fsmash are amazing. The old school dash away then WD in Fsmash works well I've found and coming in harder with Ftilt is cool due to its range(especially while egdeguarding).

Dtilt is cool for catching Puff out of landing lag and conditioning her to shield. Dtilt also leads to grabs or popping Puff up for juggling(they have to jump away to avoid getting hit more).

Not sure if this is all common knowledge but Hbox asked me why my Marth was better than M2K's lol so I figure I'd share here if it can help Marth **** more. =)
hmm, are you saying you only start grabbing if you see them using shield too much?
and yeah dtilt ***** landing lag..it's just a really safe way to ensure that puff isn't staying on the ground too much

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well you typically have to grab Puff in landing lag or when she's moving around on the ground(aka OOS pretty much) but when I played Hbox I didn't try to grab all that much because he wasa always trying to get away from me. He cared more about jumping away than risking being scared on the ground so I just swung at him more. That's kind of the dynamic of the matchup as far as grabbing goes. Most Marths like to grab, so most Puffs would want to jump away or duck.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
Umm I very rarely dash attacked unless I knew he was gonna try to WD OOS or retreat right after landing with an aerial, and then it's great. That was incredibly sparing for me though.

Grab heavy game sucks vs her for sure.

Honestly I think the dtilt is crucial. Without dtilt they can just mix in crouch instead of shield and it becomes dangerous but if you mostly use dtilt to keep them off the ground it becomes manageable.

However, the thing that bothers me is the fact that you didn't dash attack.

I watched you play 4 hrs of marth vs jiggs against mahone when you were learning the matchup, and you used undershot dash attack so much to punish if they approached, but I'm guessing hungrybox never approaches/ doesn't use a heavy ground game but i dunno.

the great thing about undershot dash attack is that if you hit you get at least 2-3 hits, but at low percent the best the jiggs can do is bair and get one hit (which is often CCable), while there is no real danger of the jiggs running in and grabbing (undershooting dash attack gets you ***** if fox/falco are just standing out of range..they can just run in and grab so easily).

How would you describe hungrybox's style? does he tend to just single short hops/landing a lot? or does he use many jumps and try to just space aerials?

and does he approach and move out of shield a lot? Because it's when jiggs mix up shield and crouch approaches that i have difficulty if i start forgetting to dtilt..but the thing is if you dtilt from a safe range you can pressure her and force a jump /roll

I'm guessing that after you condition her to shield you just occasionally don't dtilt at the proper range for the landing and then wait a sec and do a dash grab/pressure if you see the shield.

However, what i remember was the most interesting when watching you was how you pressured jiggs in the air. I wish i had vids, I can do that kind of stuff on FD, but you were doing it even better with platforms than without them. I think FD was your worst stage honestly when I watched.

by empty short hops, do you mean just jumping near enough to jiggs that the jiggs feels pressured to attack?

The thing is when I think about theoretically, in that situation, marth can jump back on reaction if the jiggs jumps to attack and fair, hitting the jiggs if the jiggs came in...if you keep floating towards them, eventually you should hit the range where you can fair them with your second jump or just swing when you get too close since you outrange jiggs. Honestly in theory mode, I don't see why the jiggs doesn't always come on stage facing backwards. it seems to improve her options signifcantly. Oh, but it takes an extra jump to turn around. and they don't like getting gimped. which is the same reason they don't perfect sweet spot from below the ledge. They waste two or three jumps getting to that spot and then if they get dtilted or hit they have very few jumpts to get back.

but yeah, does anyone know if marth's fair has frame advantage on jiggs bair and fair if they both start them on reaction as they come into range? (although technically the fair doesn't have the range so it's kind of irrelevant)

Jun.

Smash Lord
I have to agree that a grab based offensive vs Puff is very risky with very little reward.

- We aren't even sure we can grab puff because of her (its?) crouch.
- If we whiff the grab we basically get rested.
- Options out of a throw are still limited even if we get the grab off

I would like to think that Marth has a clear advantage on most if not all stages when he's BELOW due to her subpar downward aerial priority however the majority of the matchup will probably be played face to face which basically makes puff unapproachable because of her damn bairs. Assuming that the Puff player doesn't make mistakes in the bair wall, the only vulverable time in my experience (which isn't that extensive) is the time right after the bair hitbox when Puff is not retreating back to her original position. The only issue is that Marth can't enter that zone with anything else other than a dash attack (which is very predictable) or a grab (risky). Because of this, the matchup is as Cactuar mentioned previously, Puff's bair vs Marth's Fair camping / retreating fairs until Marth has racked up enough damage to kill the atrocity with an utilt.

my 2c

This is how I generally view the matchup as a whole, feel free to constructively disagree so I can improve also:

From below: Advantage to Marth
On flat ground: Slight Advantage to Puff
Edgeguarding: Heavy Advantage to Puff (the determining factor)
Damage based Kills: Slight Advantage to Marth (due to stage selection)

crush

Smash Master
i was gonna attempt to di foxes uthrow behind and the first up air in the opposite direction, but the problem was i could never get grabbed. and i played like 4-5 different foxes at the tourney yesterday

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Either play better Foxes or like ... start winning tournaments haha
Being able to avoid grabs altogether vs Fox seems pretty **** <_<

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
apply pressure by being in range in general, if they retreating laser you and you predict it just **** them if you're close enough

earla

Smash Lord
could someone explain this formula strongbad gave me? im not good with maths.

calculate frame advantage on shield with
shieldstun = floor{(4.45+damage)/2.235}

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I see some Marths just stand around and counter Fox's approaches with fair. My question is: How do you get the foxes to come to you?
baiting them

getting close to them and them moving back

sooo like
dash dancing in a certain range
running into a certain range and then wavedashing back
shorthopping/wavelanding around in a certain range
whiffing a fair or nair in a certain range to bait them and then retreating when they try to approach
shielding in a certain range and then WDing back out of shield when they try to approach

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
could someone explain this formula strongbad gave me? im not good with maths.

calculate frame advantage on shield with
shieldstun = floor{(4.45+damage)/2.235}
why did you post this in more than one character thread, instead of just PMing me? or posting it in one?

earla

Smash Lord
had a look at dolphin slash's frame data.

hit: 5-10
invulnerable: 5

do we only get 1 frame of invincibility being on the 5th????

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yes, only 1 frame. since it's the first hit frame.... it's pretty significant.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
d-tilt comes out more slowly than jab, d-smash, and u-tilt

EDIT: d-tilt and grab come out on the same frame. jab, d-smash, and u-tilt, of course, are all faster.

but d-tilt has earlier IASA frames

crush

Smash Master
in marth dittos when they're at high percents i like to ledgedash reverse up b lol. otherwise i like ledgedash d smashing, ledgedash grab, ledgedash shield roll, etc

Dart!

Smash Master
thank you...people need to lose the dsmash hype. if you can space the tipper on tech rolls then cool. if not. don't do it please.

Top Bottom