• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
hahaha sounds what dart does too

Why wouldn't you CP to stadium? Small blastzones favor you greatly, and the transformations favor your mobility over hers.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
If im getting messed up with edge guards i pick dk64 vs jiggs, its not funny getting option selected rested during recovery sooo the extra top platform/barrel evens the odds a bit a makes it an on stage game which i usually win. plus its pretty hard for jiggs to approach marth on that stage when marth has a decent lead.

Poke stad is solid too

gotpho

Smash Cadet
Is there a good way to practice Marth up-b ledge cancel when recovering on to the stage?

It's different from practicing on platforms because it's easier to bring your momentum forward than it is backward. I can't seem to get the timing down and I'm wondering if there's a specific way to do this.

Also, do you think that this move is useful?

Orko

Smash Apprentice
Hey Cactaur!
I've heard references to tech chasing a lot? What is the technique for that?
Is it just a series of wavedashes?

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
quick question, jiggs bans yoshis and you lose game 1 where do you go? i usually pick battlefield or man up with FoD
Stadium no question.

I have no idea how to play the matchup in DK64 though. I hate that stage so I tend to avoid it.

Dreamland is really weird cause the drawbacks on paper are really obvious but I don't really have a problem playing sheik on it. There must be some more subtle things sheik loses from having plats so spaced out or something, idk.
I totally get that. I do really well on Dreamland against Sheik. I wouldn't be surprised if my highest win-loss vs. Sheik is on DL...

So weird. I stick to conventional wisdom with my CP anyway; I don't counterpick to DL because that just seems silly...I don't ban it though. I take out Brinstar/Kongo (usually Kongo).

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Hey Cactaur!
I've heard references to tech chasing a lot? What is the technique for that?
Is it just a series of wavedashes?
I just rely on my reaction speed and dash wherever they tech to. Wavedashes are usually just used for setting up a position you are more comfortable reacting from after you throw/hit them.

Jun.

Smash Lord
I just rely on my reaction speed and dash wherever they tech to. Wavedashes are usually just used for setting up a position you are more comfortable reacting from after you throw/hit them.
You just explained something I haven't been able to explain for years. I usually referred to the wavedash for placement as a "feeling" lol.

Orko

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot for the response!
I'm pretty new to competitive smash, and am still trying to get the technical side down.

Another question, what concept do you think is most important to a successful Smash player? (i.e. spacing, mindgames). I ask because I'm leaps and bounds ahead of my friends technically, but I still lose consistently.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Is there a good way to practice Marth up-b ledge cancel when recovering on to the stage?

It's different from practicing on platforms because it's easier to bring your momentum forward than it is backward. I can't seem to get the timing down and I'm wondering if there's a specific way to do this.

Also, do you think that this move is useful?
I've only ever seen up-b ledge cancel during recovery twice

It was on accident both times

it's pretty damn impossible, i'd be shocked if anyone could do it with more than 10% consistency

On the other hand, you can console yourself with the fact that it's pretty useless

MT_

Smash Ace
There's some sort of gimmicky part of the ledges on Yoshi's Story that allows you to up-b ledgecancel consistently. It's awesome for surviving Marth trick lightshield edgeguards.

strawhats

Smash Master
Funny thing is I can up b ledge cancel with some consistency. If someone were to ever master it jiggz wouldn't be able to rest punish free up b lag once landing on stage much like hbox does. That's how I feel at least.

gotpho

Smash Cadet
Funny thing is I can up b ledge cancel with some consistency. If someone were to ever master it jiggz wouldn't be able to rest punish free up b lag once landing on stage much like hbox does. That's how I feel at least.
Not only against jiggz but also against a knee-happy captain falcon.

I was hoping to find an easier way to do this way but I guess there isn't.

Sometimes I don't know what I did when I pull it off. From my understanding, it doesn't require DI so you simply have to Up-B.

I'm also guessing it's a specfic spot under the stage your trying to recover. Therefore, it's really precise and there's no room for error.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Thanks a lot for the response!
I'm pretty new to competitive smash, and am still trying to get the technical side down.

Another question, what concept do you think is most important to a successful Smash player? (i.e. spacing, mindgames). I ask because I'm leaps and bounds ahead of my friends technically, but I still lose consistently.
I always focused on spacing and "mindgames", but after a while, getting into the habit of watching my opponent during the entire match rather than watching myself became enormously beneficial. Watching your opponent lets you react faster because you can anticipate their actions, and it further enables you to analyze their play, even while you are autopiloting your character.

My tech skill caught up to my mental game over the years on its own, and in a way that perfectly meshes with my play style. Developing tech skill before having a play style makes things much more difficult later on.

strawhats

Smash Master
Not only against jiggz but also against a knee-happy captain falcon.

I was hoping to find an easier way to do this way but I guess there isn't.

Sometimes I don't know what I did when I pull it off. From my understanding, it doesn't require DI so you simply have to Up-B.

I'm also guessing it's a specfic spot under the stage your trying to recover. Therefore, it's really precise and there's no room for error.
Excellent point regarding knee punishes and knee happy falcons. I feel as though being able to cut marth's landing lag at sheer will is an essential step for marth to evolve as a character. I might start experimenting with up ledge cancel situations more.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
cactuar:

what's the general rundown for trapping people once you have them cornered?
what's the general rundown for trapping people once you have them on the ledge?

Dart!

Smash Master
D-smash is just overall good with any character for covering multiple tech options, assuming it's not Falco's/Fox's d-smash.

And Marth's up-smash is pretty horrible.

Except when Dart killed Peepee with it in seriouslies. That was pretty lulz.
I can't wait to play him/you again <3

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
lol quoted the wrong post, but it's not important..i was just saying that tech skill should include spacing..and movement skills are the most useful tech skills

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
FoD is better..but now that i think about it..i think i would prefer Stadium if they don't ban that...except that i don't usually play that in friendlies because i hate waiting for stage changes, so I usually feel more comfortable on FD or FoD.

space is good in that matchup...small stages are actually worse most of the time for me, but i suppose if they miss a lot of throw DIs it's ok. FoD is better because the platforms get in the way of jiggs aerial game..it screws with you too..but you can use Fsmash in some gay combos if they get stuck on the low platforms..or pressure for uptilt kills...honestly i think she gets screwed more than you.

ILM

Smash Journeyman
I played Cactuar today in like 3 friendlies today. None of them laster more than a minute, it was hilarious. Marth dittos were especially painful.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
No juans. Factors "influencing" the set are between me and Niko. And maybe a handful of others in OTG's car. lolol

But if you wanna meatride Niko, go for it. :laugh:

oliman

Smash Journeyman
just a little thing that may or may have not been asked before, so sorry, but sometimes when i dash attack into neutral air, i move back quite a bit without actually pressing back. im just wondering if anyone knows what this is

Dart!

Smash Master
just a little thing that may or may have not been asked before, so sorry, but sometimes when i dash attack into neutral air, i move back quite a bit without actually pressing back. im just wondering if anyone knows what this is
your controllers broken, buy a new one

its because marth lunges so far forward with his dash attack that when you jump he's actually moving back to his standing position while you're still jumping because of IASA

Top Bottom