• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

earla

Smash Lord
ok dtilt. cactuar tells me everytime i dtilt i should definately hold away or towards for the iasa frames.

what purpose does holding either direction have?

i konw holding away it's hard for them to grab me. why hold towards them then?

earla

Smash Lord
so forward for if your looking to follow up.

if you hold back will you still be able to follow up as good?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
ok let me explain this better.

you hit left or right during the IASA frames. it interrupts the standing animation of the dtilt. you can see the difference by doing a single down tilt and notice how slowly marth stands up.

do it again but hit left/right after the tilt and notice how you cancel that ending animation.

I assumed you would dash towards them to chase or dash away to gain space.

but the point is you move in the direction you push. I think you are over thinking it. you just wanna interrupt the ending lag.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
ok let me explain this better.

you hit left or right during the IASA frames. it interrupts the standing animation of the dtilt. you can see the difference by doing a single down tilt and notice how slowly marth stands up.

do it again but hit left/right after the tilt and notice how you cancel that ending animation.

I assumed you would dash towards them to chase or dash away to gain space.

but the point is you move in the direction you push. I think you are over thinking it. you just wanna interrupt the ending lag.
yeah, but if you hold away, you can buffer a turnaround and avoid their grabs ^.^

earla

Smash Lord
can you do anything out of iasa frames? any move to interupt?

also, who is marths best secondaries? does marth need secondaries for any bad stages?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
hi to all I am new.
What a brilliant first post

You might want to pick up something to fight Sheiks if you hate that matchup
Or Puffs
Or other floaties 'cause floaty battles are such fun

Maybe Fox haha

Or you could just main Marth

Who does that though

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
can you do anything out of iasa frames? any move to interupt?

also, who is marths best secondaries? does marth need secondaries for any bad stages?
most marth mains.. secondary a space animal

like if a fox counterpicks your marth on corneria, of course you're gonna wanna go fox or something.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
most marth mains.. secondary a space animal

like if a fox counterpicks your marth on corneria, of course you're gonna wanna go fox or something.
What tournaments allow Corneria first of all
2nd of all I don't think you really care about counterpicking Foxes considering you're Marth and your more problem matches are like ... Sheik and Jiggs. And Falcon / Ganon to a lesser extent if you're not comfortable enough in your neutral game to not get ***** over and over by combos / getting giant moves~_~

earla

Smash Lord
fox vs marth on corneria is that bad? why?

are their any other stage + character cp on marth that give an opponent a huge advantage

G

genkaku

What are the big problems that marths have with jiggs? Forgive me, I have yet to play a much more than competent puff.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
general points: Jiggs' maneuverability means Marth can't wall her out completely with fairs, her air game + ducking makes his grab game much less effective, and he can't edgeguard her so he has to go for laggier moves like fsmash to get KOs at lower percents.

Jiggs can also edgeguard Marth extremely well.

Not gonna argue the matchup ratio here but those are some things that give him trouble.

OverLord

Smash Ace
yeah but Puff is still a playable matchup.. Sheik or Falcon could be harder than Jiggs if you don't know the match-up.. and if you know, meh, still hard..

anyway, on Corneria Marth can do well against Fox, it's kinda FD on the left side.. but it's banned so, np...

@earla:

it depends on match-ups, but generally on Rainbow Cruise and Bristar Marth always sucks hard.. Ban Bristar and be campy with Fox/Sheik on KJ64 and RC, you'll be fine. On KJ64 you can still use Marth against spacies and Peach, but against Jiggs and Falcon, meh.. : /

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
shield
roll
jump over her and dair after she dash attacks
retreating aerials work a decent amount of the time

Dart!

Smash Master
i need help against samus, i went to a tournament i easily could have gotten 2nd at and ended up not even into the money because i ran into a matchup that i have no idea how to handle.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Dart you got this!

Samus gets wrecked by marth.

Jabbing is only good to get rid of missles if the samus player isn't approaching. If she approaches when you jab a missile your gonna get *****.

Ftilt is a pretty good move in the matchup. Make sure your doing it right and you shouldn't get punished. Space well and look for openings.

Half of the whole battle is samus just getting hit off the stage, to comeback and take your stock.

Don't let her comeback and you will win.

Do NOT use fsmash unless your certain it's going to hit. Samus and marth **** each other oos pretty hard.

Edgeguarding her can be a pain. when edgeguarding her off stage just bait her to do use her grapple(not on the ledge). Get back on stage and dtilt or look for an fsmash if she doesn't sweet spot. if you have to, with patience, hit her off until she dies from the side at 180-200 percent. Do it.

Jun.

Smash Lord
So uh...

What exactly DO you do when they approach with a missile?
jump...
and swing your sword
samus dies lol.

btw shielding missiles is dangerous cause he can cause traps such as a grab by the samus or continuous spaced pressure etc. Just avoid missiles and keep samus within a good reach of your sword.

Also keep in mind samus can't shield grab you cause 1. Her grab is slow and 2. Marth can lcancel fairs/nairs in to dtilts/jabs/sideb's. One or her main weaknesses is that she has no good out of shield options except the screw attack which shouldn't work on marth since we should be spacing our attacks. Edge guarding her is also straight forward with dtilts/fsmashs if she's below. Just don't take her to a stage with wide sides like DL or FD even. Don't fall into her tempo with missiles and her spacing and keep her in your zone where she's constantly in danger so she doesn't get advantageous placement on the stage.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
This is a pretty good match to look at for the Samus matchup

Remember that this matchup is really, really bad for Samus. You can get away with a lot more than you think. Be super aggressive, up in fair range at all times, and swing the sword. If she gets up in the air, she should never get down. Edgeguarding her is time-consuming but ultimately easy. Stay in your shield against her when you're pressured; just wait for her hitbox and **** out of shield -- don't worry she won't grab.

Just space stuff on her and she'll melt.

So uh...

What exactly DO you do when they approach with a missile?
Falling fair if you can but rising fair is alright if you couldn't react in time. If you do rising just do it retreating and you should be fine.

Dart!

Smash Master
thanks guys, i guess i just try to rush her down with moves and get smacked out of my jump...plus i need to work on sweetspotting >.<

earla

Smash Lord
how many frames is marths crouch?

asking this to compare to wave dash that is 10 frames iirc, as one of my bad habits is wave dashing out of dash dance towads people. i shud just space my dash dances perfectly.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
how many frames is marths crouch?

asking this to compare to wave dash that is 10 frames iirc, as one of my bad habits is wave dashing out of dash dance towads people. i shud just space my dash dances perfectly.
Err it doesn't have frames like you're thinking. If you are dashing past initial dash (dashdance) range, crouch and you will be back in initial dash. If you do it right you won't even see Marth crouch. Just remember you can't dash backwards during a crouch. You have to dash forwards first and then back. Try practicing dashing forward past initial dash, crouching, and quickly dashing forward then backward. Do it right and it will look like Marth simply turned around past the initial dash range (you wont see the crouch or dash forward).

It's proven that the darker your Marth is, the better it is.

Black - M2K
Red - Ken
Green - Cactuar
Blue - Um, PewPewU
White - ........

G$ plays white Marth. So did Husband. They **** (d).

Nothing as good as red Marth though. Dudes so sexy.

earla

Smash Lord
thanks! thats useful crimson.

i notice moves like utilt have iasa frame 32. move total is 37 tho.

generally shud we be holding a direction after our moves to make use of iasa frames just like how we treat dtil?

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
thanks! thats useful crimson.

i notice moves like utilt have iasa frame 32. move total is 37 tho.

generally shud we be holding a direction after our moves to make use of iasa frames just like how we treat dtil?
Eh, sure why not. I don't really do it but I suppose its a good thing to do; walking to trigger IASA never hurts. As long as your follow up to the utilt is fast (usually uair, fair, or dash back in case of a whiff), then you're golden.

Top Bottom