• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can we call Armada the best now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
for now i guess maybe. I thought it was agreed that we would call it a 5-way tie?

Armada and Mango(try hard mango) are even in terms of victories.

USA is 4-1 Mango 2 times Hbox 1 time and PP 1 time.

Now it looks like more contenders on the rise. I wouldn't be shocked if Axe, Taj, S2J...someone like that won next time around. Not to mention a few contenders that didn't show up/were there but got bracket gayed....The top spots in melee are looking super crowded right now.

I wanted Armada to win though. I think he has earned it.

Smashjin

Smash Ace
Personally I think it's pretty tough to decide when most to all of us that weren't actually at Genesis haven't actually seen the matches since the stream was down...

Beat!

Smash Master
Mango and Armada are pretty much equal now. I could accept Mango being slightly better, but right now I have a wave of national pride incoming, so you'll have to excuse me.

Wait for it

ARRRRRRRRRMADDDDDAAA

fjßddsejdfivigoeiasjmdrovnvmdo

There we go

Jonas

Smash Champion
It doesn't matter how many times Mango loses, someone WILL find a way to somehow make him out til be the best anyway. Thing is, you can't accurately determine how good someone is if they're not "trying hard", so you might as well count them out. Now, when he finally comes out of the bush and "tries hard" gain, he come in second, and what are people gonna say?
"Oh but he dominated everything until after Pound 4 which was a year and a half ago."

I'm not gonna say that Armada is definitely the best in the world right now, but I'm tired of people who still say Mango is definitely the best.

red stone

Smash Ace
I don't think you guys understand...he did it with peach..Peach is by no means a top tier character. she is heavily reliant on mind games and adaptation. unlike other character such as fox, falco, and marth whom can win with tech skill and spacing, peach has to work for her kills. compared to jigglypuff, peach is much more comboable and has to use a lot of her arsenal in order to win unlike jiggs who can win by back air spam.

Peach is not a broken character, she just has the tools at her disposal to be somewhat versatile. It is up to the player however to correctly use the character to her to adapt to any situation. Peach is a swiss army knife while other characters such as shiek and fox are big ol weapons such as a sword or a hammer. A great peach player will understand what is the appropriate tool for whatever circumstance.

That player is ARMADA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Man, this was so inevitable LOL

I'm actually pretty happy that Armada won, even as an American player (As if that really means anything lol). If there was one player that deserved it its him.

Its hard to call him the best after one national win, but I'm looking forward to the next few nationals that Armada will attend. In hopes that he can eventually prove to everyone that he is the best player.

Congrats Armada.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Pretty much what tec0 said. Right now he's the arguable best. To become the indisputable best he would have to win more American Nationals.

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
I think the fact that he just took first in american territory, playing the american version of the game, with the american rules of the game, beating all of the top 3 players in the world without dropping a set, would at LEAST put him as a possible 1st on anyones list.

And I'd really like the top American players (Mango/PP) to travel to Europe, to see if it'd actually make a difference. I think it would to be honest, though I don't know to what extent.

M@v

Subarashii!
Good stuff to Armada. Honestly I still don't feel there's a clear cut best in melee, although I am glad the mango johners can't say anything this time. He's an amazing player and all, but don't go johning he wasn't trying in a national tournament with thousands of dollars on the line whenever he loses >.>

M@v

Subarashii!
My favorite player is HBox, but I think top player is a mix up between:

Mango
Armada
Hbox
PP
Amsah?(Want to see him come to another US national first)

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
Funny thing is, Mango took first in every american event. Armada has been, for years now, dominating EVERY european event, to the likes Mango has been dominating the american ones. Armada also has been dominating american tournaments, coming second at all of them before now and winning G2. From what we've seen, we can't say mango is the best in the world because Armada has been dominating Europe NOW how mango USED to dominate america, and Armada has also been beasting for a year and just took G2, with a showing that, considering Mango is probably going to go drunksandbagging again, pretty much stated he's going to continue winning what he enters.
I think the difference is that Mango has won multiple tournaments that Europe came to (at least back in the day). Armada looks to be the best right now, and will be undisputed if he can continue his reign. But again, Mango and Armada won tournaments in their respective continents but don't forget that Mango beat Armada head to head and in overall placing in more than one tournament.

So yeah what tec0 said.

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
What happened to doubles? Who won and was it close? If mango lucky won, they are the undisputed best team by far. M2K PP is like a suuuper team!

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I was in the disco room skype last night.

Everyone was like "PP is gonna destroy Armada" Followed by, "It's ok he won't beat Hbox"

I just said Armada is gonna **** everyone, which he did.

mers

Smash Ace
Something that I think is more important than whoever is the best:

The community has a huge number of players who are contenders for each spot in the top 10 or 12. All of the top placers at G2, plus almost everyone else who made it to bracket. Axe, Hax, Kage, Fly Amanita, MacD, Lucky, Wobbles, and a whole bunch more. Even some of the players who didn't make bracket could have had a shot.

It's been a long time since Melee had this much competition, and it makes me really happy. It's going to be amazing for the metagame, and it makes tourneys exciting. Who knows which of these players (or a new one *coughABATEcough*) is gonna pull something ridiculous like Taj next national?

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Personally, idc at all about this Armada vs Mango for greatest player bullpoop.
It goes to Taj. Seriously, he did amazing.

LLDL

Smash Hero
There was a point where I was thinking grand finals was going to be Taj and Shroomed.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Armada is not necessarily 'THE BEST' but he is definitely up there. His consistent placing over the last two years and his iron determination be the campiest little ***** in the bracket definitely has earned my admiration and respect. Good work, Armada.

Quick, someone get a pic of Armada taking hbox to time and winning by 1%. That is the **** of legends.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Taj playing Mewtwo was beautiful to witness.

He caught so many turnips!

I wish I had the balls to main Mewtwo vs Armada's Peach.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
He is amazingly sound technically, his character is wicked good at projectile camping and so is he. He's da best.

Frame Perfect

Smash Journeyman
its not even close, armada treats genesis like a european international and doesn't drop a set, rocks pp, destroys hbox w/ y.link, and...

same old mango tries to ride the hype train to victory and fails, kinda patheticc really

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Armada needs to prove himself against a healthy Dr PP before I'll say he's the undisputed best. Glad he won though, he deserved it.

:phone:

Pi

Smash Hero
best player is the one who won the last big tournament, so yea armada da bess
if the next big tourney he can't attend or something, then it's like a tie or disputed
i mean hell we called mango the best for however long when he wasn't even placing top 5 haha

The Star King

Smash Hero
mango is the best player in the world.

1 tournament does not undue years of dominance.
No, but a year of sandbagging in between does.

I think it's obvious that nobody is the clear best. People always want a champion in anything competitive (damn soccer saying that Messi is so much better than everyone else when he really isn't), but that's what I think.

P.S. Hbox rage at "undue".

Just as much as no one called HBox the best after Apex. But that's something completely different obviously.
Yeah, everyone hating Hbox >_>

If you don't believe me, MANY people were saying PP was the best after Pound V, even though it was just one tournament (like Armada's Genesis 2 victory) and Armada was one stock away from winning even with a crowd hugely supporting against him. Although I will admit it was mostly the NC meatriders.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Quick, someone get a pic of Armada taking hbox to time and winning by 1%. That is the **** of legends.
Hbox was the one who won by 1%... >_>

As far as Armada vs. Mango, I am more interested in what Mango plans on in the future. He said in the podcast that if someone gave him a good challenge and even beat him he would probably start working harder to regain his crown (no pun intended). I hope we see tryhard Mango stick around so the debate of whether Armada or Mango is the best can be settled every couple of months at many more tournaments to come. ^_^

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Winston described it as something like
Armada got hit by his own bomb
And then Hbox flew away

And I just started cracking up

Anyways this argument is dumb
Let Armada have his glory, he deserves it after 4 tries

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
My favorite thing on smashboards HAS to be when people take RoneBlaster seriously. lol.

Let Armada have his glory, he deserves it after 4 tries :troll:

fixed.
Lol I agree. Mango didn't even try the last few nationals. And Armada STILL didn't win lmao.

machinegungeek

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, this confirms what I've long suspected from watching friendlies and stuff; Armada and Mango are a level above anyone else, with the possible exception of PP, as he usually looks amazing and has sick johns. This mean they're a level above even Axe (inconsistent), M2K (no explanation necessary), and HBox (Mango tapped him and Armada would've 3-0'd him if not for that suicide game 1). Right now, in my scrubby mind, Armada and Mango are tied at the top, as one close set (5 games, going down to the last stock) isn't enough to determine a definite number one, especially when it took Armada 5 tries to win. Seriously though, whoever wins the next matchup between them (it'd be cool if it was at BEAST 2) is the best in the world in my mind, unless PP upsets one of them or something.

(I think PP's 3rd in the world right now. We'll see what happens when he's healthy)

On the bright side, hopefully Armada beating Mango encourages him to keep tryharding so we get to see this matchup more often than biannually.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I'll say one thing, and that's that he's only won one major here in the US. (He won a 'no johns' tourney before APEX)

You don't become the best after winning one tourney unless you're mango alla Pound3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom