• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can I still be good if

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Your grades need moar friction.

Just do your homework and play smash whenever you can.
And yes, you can still be "good".

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
The secret to school is quality over quantity.

1 hour of good study > 3 hours of sleep/study/daydreaming.

Sooo, focus! then work on smash.

Also, IIRC Forward didn't even have a gamecube during his reign of dominance, and melee required tech skill =O

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I used to think about Smash in school, and write down strategies instead of doing actual work. Once I was done with high school, I took a year off to travel and practice Smash.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
School's much more important ...

Honestly, what do you think will be more beneficial in the long run? School or Smash?

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Your education is more important than any videogame.

After all, you can't buy videogames if you can't get a well paying job, and well paying jobs require a diploma.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
This seems more like a General Brawl Discussion kind of post, but seriously, ignoring education for vieo games is the sign of the kind of person as a teacher I'd wish to prevent from entering society in the first place.

K 2

Smash Lord
hehe....the key is to convince your math teacher to let you play brawl in her class room during lunch ^_^

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I didn't play for two months and I'm fine. Seriously, take care of yourself otherwise. You eventually won't ever be able to play smash.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you play MK, you can be good without practicing.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
i went thru the same thing with school and smash. my grades all just started to drop because i played smash instead of studying and doing hw.
i'm kinda forcing myself to stop playing; unless it's the weekend or winter break.
education>>>smash, even if u are really good at it.

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
IMO, you should keep practicing smash... school is easy, its about having fun, making friends etc etc... once you get to college or university things change. so keep it up. btw im not recomending you to totally stop studying... just dont give it that much concentration

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
It depends on how much you value being good at smash. If you want to be god-like good, then no (but chances are you weren't anyway). If you just want to get good enough so you can be satisfied with how well you can play a game, then yeah, you definitely can if you only play on the weekends.

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
School is > than any video game. Besides, you want to get a good job later in life so you can BUY the video games, and/or travel to tournaments and such.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I only play every week or so and I am still quite good. Not incredible but I am in the top 50% thats for sure, probably around top 30% though.

School doesnt even factor into my game playing, I have plenty of free time for both, but I really only need a few hours every week for Smash anyways.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Its all about time management. Make a schedule. Put in any activity you do, school work, smash etc. But put school above any videogame. School is much more necessary than practicing smash. But if you can't live without it manage your time wisely.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
if u wanna be good quit life, school, girls and make money winning tournies

Tenki

Smash Hero
Over this past semester, I generally only played on weekends (and wifi at that) and once in a while, offline games if my friend invited me over to his place.

I went to a 30+ person tourney one Friday after not having played for over a week and took first (won a copy of Spore and a $30 giftcard to gamestop lolol), so I guess it's fine, as long as you know what you're doing.

but that's just me.

There isn't really anything aside from timing buffers and some character-specific AT's/movements that require some 'finger warmup'. Well, maybe SDI.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
I feel like my skill slips if I don't practice, (eh, it might be me trying to juggle 4 characters too), but school is more important. I'm a Senior in Chemical Engineering. It 3-stocks me on a regular basis :-p. The nice thing is, a few rounds of smash is a great way to take a break from hours of work.

Anyways, school is more important because its what helps you build a life that allows you to do whatever you want. Including smash. Though its already getting to the point where most of the attendees of tournaments are younger than me. Eventually it'll just be plain weird for me to attend.

Anyways, I could ramble, but I don't think you want to read a wall of text :-p.

Take care,

-Kenpachi

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Stop acting like MK is super overpowered. He's not.
^^LOL

just play as much as you feel like, man. sure, it IS possible to have a life and still be good at smash!! haha play as much smash as you want as long as it doesnt effect your grades because believe it or not those are more important.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
You have three choices..

A. Play with Metaknight (suggested)

B. Focus at school for about 1 month see how you do without smash... if good then squeeze smash in at slow amounts at a time...

C. PLAY ALL SMASH

I choose C and still have a 3.6 GPA ... if I chose B I would probably have a 4.5 and A I would Have a 5.0

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
The way it works is if you have to spend a lot of time getting good, but once you are good you only need to spend once or twice a week playing to maintain it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
The way it works is if you have to spend a lot of time getting good, but once you are good you only need to spend once or twice a week playing to maintain it.
And on the other side, I think that can go true for studies too

right?

...right?

Master Raven

Smash Master
If you play MK, you can be good without practicing.
You're not really trying at this point. Also personal experiences of mine say otherwise. ;)

On topic, M2K only plays Brawl on the weekends most of the time and look how well he does.

Top Bottom