• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Windrose, I'm definitely going to IMPULSE since I have my summer plans figured out now. Are you housing people? How far away is it from the venue?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I have something planned for that date so I can't :(.

I planned it like a year ago too =(.

Also, Johnny I won the Impulse stipend and I'm allowed to award it to someone I was gonna ask you if you wanted it.

If not, I have to find someone else....... *looks at Rob's post*

D

Deleted member

i think fly can give me his stipend if i do choose to go so perhaps u should look for some other d00d

D

Deleted member

Best way to (reaction) tech chase falco?

Hey d00ds, due to having fairly bad reflexes, i struggle with tech chasing a decent falco

what do you guys feel is the best way to tech chase? I been ignoring my mediocre tech chasing and abusing platform stages to tech chase/ hoping they suck at neutral game, but this doesn't work vs dr pee pee or westballz

Problem with regrabbing falco vs fox:

falco's tech chase is ****ing long, i can get away with regrabbing fox through this framework: Focus on them teching in place from fox-trot or wavedash in --> react

But it's much tougher vs falco. I can try the same thing but the better a falco gets, the more able they seem to be able to simply react to my intentions when i commit to a read

because falcos tech roll is longer:

When you know you can't make it in time and falco can do something a split second before you can possibly grab them: Most bad falcos snap spot dodge/ up-tilt/shine, better ones roll, but the best know how to mix it up, adapt to my reaction bait shenanigans

It feels like a losing guessing game because a misread usually ends up in a shine --> you are getting rocked when initially you put them in a bad spot.

Why? Because you essentially have to mix it up with well-spaced aerial that punishes snap shine/up-tilt/spot dodge, roll cover, but ALSO you have to GRAB to keep them honest. If you never GRAB then falcos can simply shield knowing they are safe (although knee --> gentlemen is decent pressure and if you do it enough knee--> direct grab is good too if they expect gentlemen).

But grabs can be reacted to, one thing i want to try out is run-up shield wait for spot dodge grab but its tough to pull off

this is all down-throw stuff btw which i think i like more than up-throw, but

i feel like up-throw is starting to be more superior (vs falco) because it gives you more time to set up, might use that more

of course, maybe I am simply SLOW due to being unhealthy and/or being in a non-ideal state of mind, i'm gunna try running at LEAST a mile everyday, eating healthy, and try meditating once i stop being lazy enough to learn it and see if my play becomes better when I play vs a dangerous falco

==

ANYWAYS, any tips are welcome lol, Falco has become my worst matchup i think, but once i solve this hurdle i will lose to NO FALCO

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The obvious solution that comes to mind is to continue what you are doing and use the holes in your reaction to get reads. What i mean is if you can cover all options with reaction and they are exploiting the one you can't cover, mix in something that looks like your reaction one but actually counters the one its weak to.

For example, if you are doing the knee@landing -> follow w/ grab and they are teching away (i assume tech in place, no tech and tech in are covered), then sh as if you were going to knee, but then empty land and grab on reaction.

Or you can do your regular thing and just take positional advantage if they "escape". In the example above, do your normal thing, but instead of attempting to grab the away tech, pivot bair to control their movement and go from there.

D

Deleted member

i definitely ran my azzzz off today (or tried) but i'll try channelling falcon i GUESS next time ROFL

D

Deleted member

thanks bro i bookmarked it

now im not interested in becoming a meathead but just want to spend my free time doing something productive

Windrose

Smash Lord
How do you tech chase regrab falcos? do you wavedash after the downthrow and position yourself infront of him or dash?

#run2miles

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Johnny, have you talked to Scar about tech chase regrabbing? He seems really good at it, but I think he uses uthrow a lot more. Instead of wavedashing forward SS-style, he just dashes forward and reacts, even to the tech in place which is the hardest to react to.

Windrose

Smash Lord
I think the best way is to use either one and keep both options in your tool box. Dashing psst your opponent sucks. Just try to position yourself right in front of where they land and your are good to go. U throw is better yeah.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

my motive for down-throw was doing it very quickly to bring out bad DI/ panic in opponent but nowadays in 2012 people get grabbed and think no big deal

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
If you guess, input your guess after their tech input and that way they can't react to what you're trying to do

I think Uthrow is better if you're trying to reaction techchase because you have more time to set up both mentally (more time) and physically(? I think it's easier to actually run over on Uthrow vs Dthrow, but it might just be that I run out of Dthrow slower)

Obviously depends on whether or not there are platforms ... etc etc techchasing stuff

Cheap Falco out with the 3/4 raptor boost option coverage when they're at like 50 haha

D

Deleted member

in theory yeah but falcos can DI the throw itself so if they do a tech away even if you run at them you truly have to commit to cover tech away

which is why i think up-throw is better in this case since its easier to hide your intentions, gives you more time to be in a better position

S l o X

Smash Champion
i just d-throw react tech chase and usually get it but i don't really play gdlk falcos. if there is a platform, i u-throw and guess. no real advice here, just me being useless.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
I think that running dash cancel dsmash at high-max range will punish (on reaction, without prior commitment) tech away. Could be useful near the edge or past cc %'s johnny
do that once to high skill players and they will fear doing it again. Do it to most players and you can do it a few more times before they switch it up

D

Deleted member

are you d-smashing so that your first hit will cover tech in place and 2nd hit covers behind you?

and agreed seems **** next to the edge i actually did it a lot more next to edge in the past off of hits though

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
How in the world is dash cancel Dsmash a reaction, you're definitely just hard reading tech away
Am I missing something here
There's definitely no way it catches anything going behind you because tech in place -> do anything is faster than that and you just don't get tech toward you at all

I think it's good vs people who have missed the tech near the ledge and generally don't try to getup attack ... you catch roll behind and the weird startup motion sometimes forces a reaction

D

Deleted member

playing it out in my head (i misread his post) it seems like theres not enough time or you have to preemptive run past him to d-smash i'll try it out though

sounds like it requires some n00by DI on the falco's part out of a throw

Popopidopop

Smash Cadet
I'm wondering why Falcons dont use Reversed Bair ---> knee.

I remember when Mango started using weak revier bair --> random other aerial with Falco, and all Falcos started using it.

But I have never seen any Falcon make use of it
Around 35-65% (depending on fox or falco and of DI) revier bair --> knee should be a free kill if u can hit it in the middle of a combo or as side platform mistech punish/ tech read.

Maybe its to hard to hit (vs good DI) so that the risk of failure as compared to just kneeing its not worth the extra distance knockback and dmg, or maybe its just me not having seen it on youtube.

Im just a casual and bad Falcon secondary/third but I think this might be something worth practising/exploring.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It's way harder to space and doesn't really offer that many benefits over Uair other than looking cool...if they away DI you won't be able to get them anyways, just like Uair

I mean, why don't you try it out yourself
Falco has a leg sticking out in front, but Falcon's Bair is basically trying to hit them with the shoulderpad, which is way harder than hitting them with basically the entire front side of your body

Popopidopop

Smash Cadet
Not sure about that, since you are closer to them when u actually hit them with Bair, as compared to Uair, they will have a harder time DIing away,
Btw just saw Mango do revier(weak) bair into uair, on the side platform as mistech punish, rewatching Mango falcon vs G$ falco(no johns 9/3/2011)
and G was really not even close to being able to DI away. This was at 90 %...

Lower percentage should be easier amirite? then u wont have to do weak bair.

But maybe this indeed isnt worth it risk of failure and the fact that mango so often just does whatever is flashiest might just support your case xD.

Not gonna stop doing it myself though!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Link?

And being able to combo into a Uair is really not all that impressive, you can hit double Uair fairly easily on most DIs but it won't kill them ever unless the ending Uair is offstage or they DI it terribly

At lower % DI down and away makes it so most moves send space animals into the ground with no chance of direct followup, but a lot of spacies don't DI the full down and away so stuff looks like it combos when it probably shouldn't

If you want to learn how to hit it go for it but there's plenty of other stuff you could be spending your time learning and reverse Bair isn't a super efficient place to try and improve your Falcon game IMO

But if you wanna just look awesome then by all means

D

Deleted member

I'm wondering why Falcons dont use Reversed Bair ---> knee.

I remember when Mango started using weak revier bair --> random other aerial with Falco, and all Falcos started using it.

But I have never seen any Falcon make use of it
Around 35-65% (depending on fox or falco and of DI) revier bair --> knee should be a free kill if u can hit it in the middle of a combo or as side platform mistech punish/ tech read.

Maybe its to hard to hit (vs good DI) so that the risk of failure as compared to just kneeing its not worth the extra distance knockback and dmg, or maybe its just me not having seen it on youtube.

Im just a casual and bad Falcon secondary/third but I think this might be something worth practising/exploring.
its quite good on FD, but how about when platforms are involved? Is it worth reverse back-airing if it causes them to land on plats awkwardly or they edge-cancel the plat?

its decent as hell though and I don't think its hard to hit once u can easily tell through practice, i lub doing it on FD after a good stomp but it depends.

@wenbo reverse b-air could be useful compared to up-air on away DI because it is stronger in knockback

==

now a sick combo that is 500x more useless is full hop weak-reverse backair to falling knee i did it once in my life on accident

S l o X

Smash Champion
going to a tournament today here in new england. players like zoso, th0rn, banks, swift etc will be there. (otg not able to make it out this time)

last time i lost to zoso and swift. i hope to get recorded regardless though since i have no matches up and i really would like to watch myself and ask you guys to help out with that.

what should i avoid doing in the neutral vs falco? m.zeb is gonna be at this and i kind of just suck vs falco now and i don't want to change character today.

(i should really think before posting)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I always thought the more useful thing about reverse Bair was that you could use it to hit weaker than Uair (although if you can hit a weak Bair you can also usually knee)

Also I feel like you can set up late Uair if you can hit Bair too but I don't really know because I've never felt the need to try haha

Top Bottom