• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

D

Deleted member

going to a tournament today here in new england. players like zoso, th0rn, banks, swift etc will be there. (otg not able to make it out this time)

last time i lost to zoso and swift. i hope to get recorded regardless though since i have no matches up and i really would like to watch myself and ask you guys to help out with that.

what should i avoid doing in the neutral vs falco? m.zeb is gonna be at this and i kind of just suck vs falco now and i don't want to change character today.

(i should really think before posting)
MY fiRST ADVICE IS DON"T BE EMO

or IF UR EMO DON'T POST ABOUT IT

adechrist

Smash Cadet
what do you guys feel is the best way to tech chase?
Imo, it's usually better to read(aka guess). With reads you're less likely to get another hit, but when you get a hit, you're guaranteed a much larger percent, and possibly a stock. Getting a read and hitting a Falco with Dair>Knee is brutal. Plus, a lot of times you'll be able to get him off the stage, which sucks for Falco. Dumb bird can't fly.

I was just watching SilentSpectre play. He regrabs only at very low percents. Then he goes for reads. I'm assuming he does this because reads aren't as good at low percent since that's when Falcon can't combo spacies well.

Walt

Smash Ace
On the subject of fighting good falcos, I got destroyed by zhu last night. I got 4 stocked twice in a row, 3 stocked like 8 times in a row, and I think 2 stocked once or twice total. Don't know what to do about that dude daaaaaaang. Teaming with him is fun though because we both suck at teams and just pretend we know what we're doing.

Also bob$ is underrated. Dude was styling on people.

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
Tech chasing with superior stage positioning often times proves to be more fruitful than tech chasing with grabs/attacks IMO

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
agree that reads become more worthwhile at high %'s where they will lead directly to a kill, but you also have to be supremely confident in your reads to go solely off them. ss certainly employs more reads than the average falcon, but he also much better at making them so gotta take that into account. you might be underestimating his reflexes somewhat; he's said he techchases off a mix of reaction/reads though it looks like all he does soulread

regardless, tending to an extreme (e.g. always going for reads, or always going on reaction) is unlikely to be optimal unless you're doing so for the sake of practice. or if you have a strong beat on their tech patterns, whether b/c they are a noob or you make godly reads. i could see, and would endorse, relying heavily on reads if you're playing a much better opponent b/c you will need to capitalize on grabs more often and will want to introduce an element of luck to win. same would be true when facing a large deficit in a match.

Walt

Smash Ace
Man I'm in the mood to play but no one to play right now so questions: Johnny I've been having a lot more trouble getting out of Fox shield pressure than Falco. Like, depending on what Falco does he pretty much chooses to either be able to punish rolls by being a little bit riskier/closer inside of you or allow you to roll but contain you with lasers. WD OoS being an option depending on if they waveshine away, or spaced nair/bair. But against Fox I'm feeling like drillshine/shine nair/being behind your shield ready to upsmash/nair/utilt allows them to catch rolls and bair/stomp OoS. I'm thinking of mixing in more fullhop(+platform waveland is available) and more WD OoS against Fox since maybe I'm staying into too long since his moves have less shield stun? Basically I usually buffer a roll after a shine or early nair and get chased with a grab or dash attack.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
fox's pressure is like a thousand times tighter than falco's, but at the same time, it's a lot less dangerous to get hit by fox's pressure than falcos.

Falco can hitconfirm any move into a death combo. Its way harder for fox because his pressure is harder so its really hard for him to hitconfirm moves and combo before you escape. in a lot of situations, you can just take the shine damage and DIP before fox can react to the hit and punish.

also, intentionally jumping into the shine is really useful .

D

Deleted member

real good advice, wish i read it before the tournament. :glare:
HAY man NO MORE BEING EMO IN MY TOPIC PL0X

regarding fox, theres no true way to avoid his shield pressure you can only mix it up to escape getting ***** IMO, but 99% of foxes can't pull off his shield pressure to foxes potential

i'm pretty good at it, but there are times where u get smacked up with no escape

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Dear Falcon guys, I know you guys have run streams on your own. I have recently setup a stream at a friends house using a Dazzle DVC 100 using xSplit and VHcapture. I'm pretty sure this is the standard stream setup.I'm very good at trouble shooting my HD capture cards but I don't know anything anymore about the standard definition ones. The stream seems grainy as if horizontal lines make up the images. The picture/colors are fine but you can definitely tell it doesn't look like the smash streams I've seen on twitch.

If someone would be so kind as to post their settings(VHcapture/ xsplit etc.) that would be greatly appreciated. Or possibly refer me to a dazzle stream guru of sorts. Thank you <3

tl;dr I need help setting up a stream. Where do I go?

taylosun

Smash Cadet
D-Smash does work great on the edge. Good tip.

On the subject of throw di, I know at low percents if they di down and away, like they should, you tech chase them but what about at high percents and by high percents I mean in the right percents for a throw<knee? Are you still supposed to be able to hit the knee or do you have to build up more percent or are you just s.o.l.?

Dear Falcon guys, I know you guys have run streams on your own. I have recently setup a stream at a friends house using a Dazzle DVC 100 using xSplit and VHcapture. I'm pretty sure this is the standard stream setup.I'm very good at trouble shooting my HD capture cards but I don't know anything anymore about the standard definition ones. The stream seems grainy as if horizontal lines make up the images. The picture/colors are fine but you can definitely tell it doesn't look like the smash streams I've seen on twitch.

If someone would be so kind as to post their settings(VHcapture/ xsplit etc.) that would be greatly appreciated. Or possibly refer me to a dazzle stream guru of sorts. Thank you <3

tl;dr I need help setting up a stream. Where do I go?
Ask Peef. He's the main stream guy.

taylosun

Smash Cadet
The way I learned how was to go from notch to notch. You just have to be fast. I assume you already know the motion you are supposed to do.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
The way i learned to do it is in between opponent's stocks. I'd KO them and while they are respawning i would try it once or twice. Before i knew it i could do it on command.

I've never actually used it in a serious match though. It telegraphs itself way to much to really be useful.

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
The way I learned how was to go from notch to notch. You just have to be fast. I assume you already know the motion you are supposed to do.
Yes i do and thanks, ill keep that in mind.

The way i learned to do it is in between opponent's stocks. I'd KO them and while they are respawning i would try it once or twice. Before i knew it i could do it on command.

I've never actually used it in a serious match though. It telegraphs itself way to much to really be useful.
once i get it down enough to do it whenever, thats how ill start incorporating it. Thanks

Walt

Smash Ace
D-Smash does work great on the edge. Good tip.

On the subject of throw di, I know at low percents if they di down and away, like they should, you tech chase them but what about at high percents and by high percents I mean in the right percents for a throw<knee? Are you still supposed to be able to hit the knee or do you have to build up more percent or are you just s.o.l.?
Ok so here you go dude:
Marth: 70-85% you can get away with 60% sometimes if they are not expecting it, and 40-50% you can put an uair in there instead and get a dthrow>uair>knee/uair. and honestly the exact higher end of the percent is a little wonky, dthrow>knee to around 100% works plenty of the time.

Shiek: 70-90% works for both throws. uthrow>uairx3 is good any time after 40%+

Peach: same as marth. nair is gay.

Fox/Falco: uthrow>knee actually works around 120% but bad players will let you do it at 100%. at 70%-80% uthrow>dtilt>knee works with no DI away.

taylosun

Smash Cadet
Ok so here you go dude:
Marth: 70-85% you can get away with 60% sometimes if they are not expecting it, and 40-50% you can put an uair in there instead and get a dthrow>uair>knee/uair. and honestly the exact higher end of the percent is a little wonky, dthrow>knee to around 100% works plenty of the time.

Shiek: 70-90% works for both throws. uthrow>uairx3 is good any time after 40%+

Peach: same as marth. nair is gay.

Fox/Falco: uthrow>knee actually works around 120% but bad players will let you do it at 100%. at 70%-80% uthrow>dtilt>knee works with no DI away.
Is this all with down and away di? It seems like those are just the general percents for throw>knee.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
That sums up my mentality perfectly. I just replace knee with hit.

If I'm not hitting my opponent then I'm either getting combo'd or I'm just about to start.

It's worked so far.

:phone:

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Tournament in Pittsburgh this weekend. How do you guys go about quickly moving from one matchup to the next. I find that i need a match or match and a half to shift from one to the other.

Any tips on doing it faster?

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
s2j noooooooo! dont quit, your like the main reason i picked up captain falcon from that gay *** bird. maybe you were just having an off day?

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Tournament in Pittsburgh this weekend. How do you guys go about quickly moving from one matchup to the next. I find that i need a match or match and a half to shift from one to the other.

Any tips on doing it faster?
Walk outside, take a few deep breaths and clear your mind if it's between sets. Mid set try the same thing indoors but the air will obviously be 1000x ****tier lol

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
new controller sucks dik feel like quitting smash
Johnny, do you think this could possibly be part of the reason that your techchases against Falco have been a bit off? I know you say your reaction time is getting worse but maybe your new controller is part of the problem.

D

Deleted member

theres some ****ty parts about my controller that force me to play slower, if i go my normal speed (which i have to vs falco for the way i play) then tiny bad things about the controller **** me up

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
It really does suck though when you have an awful controller that doesn't do what you tell it to do.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
For tech chasing falco I think you have to pay special attention to how they DI your throw.

Knowing when to WD vs fox trot vs wait --> run grab doesn't matter as much vs fox because of the ****ty tech roll, but from watching falcon players in general (idk if it's true for you) I've noticed that they make things a lot harder on themselves by not switching up their initial movement based on the opponent's DI on the throw (before they even tech).

For example at some ranges it's best to just wait and learn a sweetspot timing on when you run forward (I do this with marth a lot), or maybe even run backwards before running forward. If you learn the specific spacing for this you can get it to work so that as you're running towards them you can just grab mid-run if they tech in place, keep running if they tech away, or turn around if they tech back. It's really %/DI specific, but knowing when this works makes it a *lot* easier in the relevant situations because you can just react while running.

In general, I think there's probably a way you can approach every single DI/% situation that creates the optimal situation for you to react with.

I definitely haven't noticed falcon players do this(have specific setups depending on their DI), but maybe I just don't watch enough videos anymore.

Another trick I use at low % is to setup a jab reset. Jab resetting whiffs the majority of the time on falco/fox (yeah I know, it sucks), but if they DI a certain WD distance away at the right % you can actually WD forward and have enough time to use your momentum from the WD to help you land a jab reset on reaction. The timing/spacing works out so that as they miss the tech/tech in place you can choose between jab or grab (while usually in falcon tech chasing, people go for the guessing missed tech vs. predicting a tech) and still react to the tech roll options.

The little tricks are all super situational, but there *are* tricks for every situation. I've always thought if you learned to position yourself well and learn all the sweetspot timings (like in my first example, for running at them) falcon could do it pretty reasonably assuming your reaction time was decent.

S l o X

Smash Champion
honestly controller johns are always the worst. not even because they aren't legit or anything but because the one person i ALWAYS play with (strawhats) complains about his controller 24/7.

D

Deleted member

honestly controller johns are always the worst. not even because they aren't legit or anything but because the one person i ALWAYS play with (strawhats) complains about his controller 24/7.
i think they are pretty legit for a little bit until you get lucky enough to find a new controller/ break in a new one

i think no controller would be as good as the one i used for like 2 yrs though it was extremely good

Top Bottom