• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
kind of surprised s2j sees shield dropping as a gimmick/cheap

:phone:
Haha it's pretty cheap, but only because nobody uses it yet and people expect things like uptilting shields from below to actually work <_<

*Shield drop Bair -> knee*
Get raaaaped

Scar

#HarveyDent
using it to surprise people is gimmicky

using it to punish unsafe pressure (like wenbo is saying) is not

it's that simple

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Can you buffer a shield drop, or do you have to hit the control stick after shield stun is over?

Morin0

Smash Lord
using it to surprise people is gimmicky

using it to punish unsafe pressure (like wenbo is saying) is not

it's that simple
I don't follow this line of logic. In a setting where people apply shield dropping to their game, I don't see how it's gimmicky and even then when it catches people by surprise, how exactly is it gimmicky?

mers

Smash Ace
Can you buffer a shield drop, or do you have to hit the control stick after shield stun is over?
You can buffer it which is cool as ****.

I don't follow this line of logic. In a setting where people apply shield dropping to their game, I don't see how it's gimmicky and even then when it catches people by surprise, how exactly is it gimmicky?
Gimmicky in that it's not actually good cuz people can anticipate it and **** you up for it very easily if you rely on it.

Morin0

Smash Lord
You can buffer it which is cool as ****.

Gimmicky in that it's not actually good cuz people can anticipate it and **** you up for it very easily if you rely on it.
Maybe it's because I'm a n00b at Melee, but I still don't see how people can pick up on it if in 64 you're generally not punished for it and in fact, is a really important tech. But maybe Melee =/= 64 in terms of how shield dropping works? This is all very surprising to me.

D

Deleted member

u guys misunderstand me but i dont feel like learning it thats all

its much more vital in 64 though i'll tell u that much

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
just learn it dude it goes so well with edge canceling and gives u hella sick movement.

And shield dropping offensively is much better than doing it defensively so its not a complete hoax.

D

Deleted member

how about i play the way i want

yeah i know its good but i don't think its gunna be OH I DIDNT SHIELD DROP THATS WHY I LOST

I'd rather focus on improving my other aspects of the game not limited to movement out of shielding on plats

Morin0

Smash Lord

yeah i know its good but i don't think its gunna be OH I DIDNT SHIELD DROP THATS WHY I LOST

I'd rather focus on improving my other aspects of the game not limited to movement out of shielding on plats
No, man. You won't lose because you don't implement shield dropping into your playstyle. Your Falcon is pretty sick and wrecks *****es without shield dropping. I just think shield dropping is one of those things where it can only do good for your gameplay? But according to some other posters here, it's more gimmicky than good.

I think you know firsthand what kind of stuff shield dropping allows, so I was just curious if applied in Melee, it will also allow for some crazy stuff to happen as well.

leffen

Smash Champion

yeah i know its good but i don't think its gunna be OH I DIDNT WAVEDASH/LCANCEL THATS WHY I LOST

I'd rather focus on improving my other aspects of the game
2012 version of 2006 melee scrub

oh joy

you should also learn teching kill moves... you can tech falcos bair to 200% with falcon and fsmash to 150%, dsmash forever, and edgecancel dair (no stun whatsoever) to 130%ish. EXTREMELY good for when you land onstage with UpB or techchased/whiffed a move (like grab)

Morin0

Smash Lord
shield dropping is also the next generation of comboing but to each his own.
At least in 64, shield dropping allows the execution of certain combos and the continuation of combos. I imagine it should be the same for Melee but hey, what do I know? :awesome:

D

Deleted member

2012 version of 2006 melee scrub

oh joy

you should also learn teching kill moves... you can tech falcos bair to 200% with falcon and fsmash to 150%, dsmash forever, and edgecancel dair (no stun whatsoever) to 130%ish. EXTREMELY good for when you land onstage with UpB or techchased/whiffed a move (like grab)

teching kill moves good but more applicable in teams IMO, i'm currently in the state where I can tech any move ( i don't roll in though cuz i forget, then try to remind myself to do it nexttime, then i forget again) but even if I do roll in its probably they will probably just hit me again

but a small chance of survival is better than nothing
==

i'm not in a good position to actually practice the game. I don't own a copy of the game, nor a playable setup atm. Even if I did i don't feel like sitting there and practicing.

I'd rather play the person and win through being solid.

and also i'd rather not look like sloppy *** jeapie who has good tricks but struggles to sometimes l-cancel/ basic techskill etc

ITS JUST low on the priority list rofl. I know its applications. I simply don't care for what it can give ATM

==

Morino I've played 64 and melee a lot. I assure you shield dropping (which is also 5x easier to pull off than melee) is absolutely crucial in that game. In Melee it is simply another positive to keep in ur repertiore. I know that that isn't a bad thing.

64 is also a ****ing abysmal game. In terms of douchbaggery ruining the game i'd put it on par with brawls level. And if you don't believe this you are either playing against scrubs, manly men (which is only isai), or you are ****ed in the head

==

leffen

Smash Champion
Rolling towards doesn't work, its rolling away (towards only works vs falco dsmash)

funny how people still don't know this, sad really.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
So is the 2015 scrub gonna be anyone who hasn't practiced powershielding lasers for 6000 hours and gets hit by a laser in a match??

D

Deleted member

Rolling towards doesn't work, its rolling away (towards only works vs falco dsmash)

funny how people still don't know this, sad really.
thanks for the info im just a lowly FLOPmerican

Shroomed

Smash Master
zup j0nnee, u 1/2 tu DI eway 2 dodge le dthro

you're still gonna hit the ground and have to tech cuz the hitstun is mo****n red ick yawl iss

Nakamaru

Smash Master
After playing wenbo this past saturday. I fully understand why shield dropping is so good. I couldn't pressure him on platforms at all.

It is definitely something im going to put time into learning now.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
S2J and Darkrain cannot be at the same tourney because the venue couldn't handle that amount of badassery in the same location. Their combined presence would tear a hole in the fabric of space-time.

Tink

Smash Hero
and now darkrains back in the MW 0_0....u know he aint getting any better, only deteriorating.

Dees

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone give me some guidance for edge guarding samus? I'm not really sure what I should be doing against her and it hurts me every tournament.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Can anyone give me some guidance for edge guarding samus? I'm not really sure what I should be doing against her and it hurts me every tournament.
When she tries her bomb recovery, it's a free Falcon PAWNCH!

It's actually really hard to edgeguard Samus, on most stages she can just go way too low for you to follow, and still make it back with her upward dodge grapple glitch thingie. I'd say, unless the Samus is really predictable with their recovery, you should just stay safe and try to edgehog.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I just try to time stomps on the ledge and hope they work honestly <_< Edgeguarding Samus is really annoying

If you're good you can probably upair her when she bombs but she curls up into this tiny *** ball and moves around like crazy -_-

unknown522

Some guy
Something really really gay you can do to samus is, let her grapple the ledge and hog her. When she pulls herself up, then you ledge hop knee and send her in reverse.

You can do it to link/Y. Link as well. What's really gay about it is that if they up-b, then you can abuse the ledge invincibility then either punish the landing lag, or hit her through the up-b

You can also b-air her when she attempts to grapple lower.

Or b-air/knee her when she's bombing.

Or stomp when she has no jump and force her to up-b in a bad spot.

Because of how fast+far falcon can jump, he has one of the best edgeguarding capabilities vs samus (sheik and maybe fox are better at it. But not for the same reasons).

:phone:

Top Bottom