• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

D

Deleted member

this isnt about character its losing to kirbykaze legitly because i think even if i played better he has a very very good shot of still beating me

... ITS THE TOURNAMENT TURNING INTO A SINGLE ELIM TOURNEY FOR ME DUE TO LUCK NOOOOO cuz i faced mango right away after i lost haha

also, mango lucky lost FIRST ROUND WINNERS and we faced them in really early teams losers it blew

and sad part is we coulda beat them they were playing like ****

edit:

never mind about most of hwat i wrote above i drive from norcal and am going to go die on my bed for a good 11 hours PCE

Divinokage

Smash Legend
this isnt about character its losing to kirbykaze legitly because i think even if i played better he has a very very good shot of still beating me

... ITS THE TOURNAMENT TURNING INTO A SINGLE ELIM TOURNEY FOR ME DUE TO LUCK NOOOOO cuz i faced mango right away after i lost haha

also, mango lucky lost FIRST ROUND WINNERS and we faced them in really early teams losers it blew

and sad part is we coulda beat them they were playing like ****

edit:

never mind about most of hwat i wrote above i drive from norcal and am going to go die on my bed for a good 11 hours PCE
Yes I'm aware of that, losers side got stomped on. =/

D

Deleted member

its true but me and lovage lost to silentspectre and tang in 2nd round winners we shoulda won because throughout our 2 year history we were 3-0, never getting close to losing. This time we lost.... then faced mango/lucky and coulda won

im more disappointed by teams then singles. I feel like me and oscar if we dodged mango/lucky we coulda got top 3.

mango lost in first round/ 2nd round winners in singles to bladewise and anybody sent to losers got decimated by a warpath.

I think i'm going to start having a mindset where losing even winners = death just in case other big tournaments decide to royally **** people over

==

Here is my bracket journey in case you guys cared

Before bracket there was pools and me and I almost did not make it out. I almost lost to CiZ. I lost to Bob$. So I got 2nd seed. This put me up against Kels first round winners.

Kels is a solid strong player but his problem is he will never ever try to make a play. He is 150% bait-react. But he isn't exactly a superstar at doing it. He is fairly good at it but he WILL NEVER EVER APPROACH.

My set is me eventually approaching him. It was not fun at all. My standard falcon vs fox actually looks whack but its Kels running the hell away.

I don't normally regrab tech chase because I think its gay but match 2 I do a 0 to death regrab tech chase because Kels trying to bait me was getting annoying

Round 2 Winners- FLY AMANITA. Fly is always getting better each time I play him. I lost first game to a semi comeback. Game 2 I barely win, Game 3 i win convincingly

Round 3 winners- Bladewise. Bladewise got here by beating Mango. Good **** to Teddy. But not good **** to him for getting beat by me pretty bad. His style is reminiscient of MacD but i think macD might be slightly better in his own way. regardless, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Round 4 winners- Kirbykaze. I played like ****. He played great. I think I woulda lost even if I was playin good, it's a tough call but KirbyKaze's win is extremely legit. I don't want any credit taken away from him. He deserves his high placing this tournament. Kirbykaze is good as ****.

He is definitely better than me, but that doesnt mean i can't win

First round of losers: me vs mango GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

5th place. 10 dollars. 10 dollars felt great tho

Despite the unlucky Mango bracket match, and having a fairly tough road to winners semis, my luck was on my side

/////////////////
who i wanted to play/ not wanted to play

I wanted to play any fox besides Kels. I feel that my Fox game is beast mode compared to my other matchups.

(i played kels).

i didnt want to play any marths. Well they gave me ****ing 4 marths in my pool so i almost didnt make it out ****ers. But I lucked out by facing no marths in bracket

I wanted to play the Norcal greats. I mean as I got to winners semis I did lose to Kirbykaze. But I never go to face Zhu, Pewpewu, Shroomed, etc. I feel I can better gauge my relative skill if I actually ****ing play them for once (i only play zhu in out of state majors really ****ing dumb)

I'm not sure who would win between me and Zhu. Zhu is very strong vs falcon but my style is much different from Silentspectre era of domination. That's why bare minimum I think it would be a interesting match. Zhu on paper has the advantage but now we will not know even longer i guess

tournament was well run

Kevin Toy, aka PEWPEWU is the best marth player to ever exist in the world. Ken is jealous that he isn't even 1/4 as cool as him. I'd put myself as 1/2 as cool as him TBH. Kevin Toy is the ****ing man

Scar

#HarveyDent
don't say "gay" imo

bobby beat johnny pretty good game 1, johnny went for some edgeguards that were actually horrible and put him in a terrible spot
game 2 johnny was actually murdering bobby and got into an unlosable position, and then from what i could tell just got super overeager and basically SD'd until he was losing, and bobby didn't drop it

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
^I wish I had seen this set. Bobby vs Johnny was super sick at the SB tournament, and Bobby just ****ed up an easy edge guard at the end, so I would have been pretty hyped to see a rematch.

edit: On another note, I played a lot of friendlies against a fox with a very odd playstyle at this tournament. He didn't do very much shield pressure or play particularly aggressive. He would sometimes nair me out of my approaches or approach with nair from an advantageous position, but he basically stayed grounded and looked for utilts, shines, and up smashes, while having nair as a go to option as well. Any suggestions for how to play against this? He was good enough so that approaching with knee or uair was getting punished most of the time. Even though I won most games, I found it pretty frustrating because the first hit of nair doesn't hit fox on the ground, and the matchup usually ends up being about me spacing well and nairing fox out of his approaches -.-

Hax

Smash Champion
losing in winners = you're 1 game closer to winning the tournament

noobs

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Stop stomping so much, especially against Ganon. It's working in those videos, but that's just like how it's the best move against a ****ty Falco and hard as hell to use against a good one. You can outspace and basically **** Ganon with nair and uair, so stomping all day is just a dumb risk.

Walt

Smash Ace
don't say "gay" imo

bobby beat johnny pretty good game 1, johnny went for some edgeguards that were actually horrible and put him in a terrible spot
game 2 johnny was actually murdering bobby and got into an unlosable position, and then from what i could tell just got super overeager and basically SD'd until he was losing, and bobby didn't drop it
Yeah, Bobby was playing mad good but Johnny tried to edgeguard with off stage knees like 3 times, missed then got edgeguarded to death.

First game was a 3 stock by Bobby, second game was a 3 stock comeback by Bobby. Bob$ is the **** and honestly the only person I want to win more than S2J.

D

Deleted member

i honestly played like a ****** but I did not think I would SD twice and then get ***** last stock

he gave me some great marth tips afterwards though because socal marths are complete jokes

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Hey Juggleguy, I'm a norcal falcon and I wanted to meet you at rule 6 but I didn't get around to it. I want to tell you that Shroomed and I dittoed in pools and he got mad at me because I did uangled ftilt to stifle his approach. He always gives me **** for doing stupid **** (forward smashing his dumb ***), so it felt great to add another thing to my repertoire to piss him off.

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
Hey Juggleguy, I'm a norcal falcon and I wanted to meet you at rule 6 but I didn't get around to it. I want to tell you that Shroomed and I dittoed in pools and he got mad at me because I did uangled ftilt to stifle his approach. He always gives me **** for doing stupid **** (forward smashing his dumb ***), so it felt great to add another thing to my repertoire to piss him off.
That's pretty ****ed if true. (him giving you **** for it) Falcons tilts are underused imo

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I don't think I even count as a Falcon anymore but there is a (very) slight possibility I'm going

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
I was trying to practice teching with Falcon (like, wallteching during recovery) today ... I know about going to Training Mode and planting Motion-Sensor Bombs on the ledges, and I've done that before, but I don't want to get into any habits with pressing R and I also want to practice dual-stick DI (SDI with Control Stick, ASDI with C-stick) which obviously doesn't work in 1P Mode.

I experimented with CPUs a bit, and found that lvl. 7 SoPo tends to edgeguard with jabs, dtilt, and fsmash, where dtilt and fsmash are techable. He doesn't tend to jab a lot if you sweetspot or are close to sweetspotting, and even if you overshoot he'll sometimes ftilt or usmash, which are techable. He also doesn't try to edgeguard with grabs, like, ever. Another plus is that his timing can vary, as opposed to the bombs which are always the same. Nana tends to screw this up, she'll somehow push Popo offstage right as he's about to edgeguard me and then the ICs will just jump back onstage instead of hitting me.

The only real downside is that SoPo likes to just roll around and jab you up to teching %s which can take FOREVER (extra motivation to not miss those techs/sweetspots, I guess). As an alternative, I found that lvl. 7 Puff also uses techable edgeguarding moves fairly often, not as often as SoPo but more often than the other lvl. 7s, and it doesn't take her as long to build up damage.

DL seems to be the best stage imo to practice teching with SoPo. FoD is the second best, because both these stages have square ledges and no gimmicks to mess up SoPo, but I prefer DL because it seems to minimize my chances of derping up and dying in ways unrelated to missed techs/sweetspots.

Do people already know about this? Also, I only tested lvl. 7s, are there any better ways out there?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Good **** haha.

j00t

Smash Champion
http://youtu.be/_Cpf_9UqJJA

My match at a recent tournament. Criticism is appreciated. Some of my notes:

1) I was super aggressive this match, I think this was due to my nervousness of being on stream.

2) All the bthrows/fthrows are mistakes, they are supposed to be uthrows/dthrows respectively. Once again due to nervousness.

3) **** rainbow cruise

4) My techchases are not good. I try to make risky reads that are... no bueno.

5) I'm trying to work on how much time I have after doing a late reaction. I miss a lot of followups because i reacted too late. So I'm working on when I can punish a spotdodge

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
http://youtu.be/_Cpf_9UqJJA

My match at a recent tournament. Criticism is appreciated. Some of my notes:

1) I was super aggressive this match, I think this was due to my nervousness of being on stream.

2) All the bthrows/fthrows are mistakes, they are supposed to be uthrows/dthrows respectively. Once again due to nervousness.

3) **** rainbow cruise

4) My techchases are not good. I try to make risky reads that are... no bueno.

5) I'm trying to work on how much time I have after doing a late reaction. I miss a lot of followups because i reacted too late. So I'm working on when I can punish a spotdodge

hey check my blog on AiB.....I have harsh critisim for a tournament I went to in Indiana. you should check out.

Violence

Smash Lord
I thought at first when I got back that my work would keep me from going to Big House... but it turns out that I'm traveling for work the week after Big House, and the week before Big House. Juggleguy's scheduling is too good.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
@j00t, I have a couple thoughts, but you are at least as good as I am, so take it with a grain of salt. Firstly, your tech chases aren't bad because of risky reads, but just some poor execution. You regrab a lot but don't really ever end up getting a stomp or knee. Sometimes you can cover the tech in place/no tech option and still cover another option, so maybe work on that. Also, in the first match, it didn't seem like the Fox was respecting your space very much. I think sometimes it's good to short hop and then see if they approach and then you can do a late uair/first hit nair, because it's a fairly safe way to react to aggressive foxes.

j00t

Smash Champion
@j00t, I have a couple thoughts, but you are at least as good as I am, so take it with a grain of salt. Firstly, your tech chases aren't bad because of risky reads, but just some poor execution. You regrab a lot but don't really ever end up getting a stomp or knee. Sometimes you can cover the tech in place/no tech option and still cover another option, so maybe work on that. Also, in the first match, it didn't seem like the Fox was respecting your space very much. I think sometimes it's good to short hop and then see if they approach and then you can do a late uair/first hit nair, because it's a fairly safe way to react to aggressive foxes.
The reason I go for regrabs more often than normal is because I believe it is truly the best option. Theoretically they will always be off of the stage and set up for an edge guard. I frankly don't have the reaction time to punish missed techs or techs in place with a stomp. It's much easier and just as effective to regrab.

Zidane didn't respect my space in the first match because I suicided twice. :p

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
j00t you need to get better at guaging when you're a bit too slow to regrab. Zidane kept sidestepping and punishing you when you thought you still had time to grab. Start doing mixups with knee or stomp in these situations because the payoff is sick.

I don't go for tech reads very often myself.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I thought at first when I got back that my work would keep me from going to Big House... but it turns out that I'm traveling for work the week after Big House, and the week before Big House. Juggleguy's scheduling is too good.
That's ironic, because Johnny actually can't make it anymore =( he's taking the LSAT on the same day. I seriously considered a tourney date change because of this, but in the end there are just too many logistics that don't work out. Ann Arbor has home football games the following three weeks, which literally doubles the local hotel prices, creates traffic/parking issues for Smashers, and potentially loses us dozens of UM casuals.

As heartbreaking as it is missing Johnny, the tourney is still going to be great, I'm looking at other potential top players to bring in from each coast. Launching registration soon now that the rush to sign up for FC has passed. Hope to see you here in October, Eric.

Top Bottom