• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Welcome to the Ike Boards thread of everything! General discussion about Ike, questions and answers, social conversation, match-up and stage discussion... anything goes in here. I will quickly go over some posting guidelines for this thread and our board in general:

• No posting one-liners or spam
  • No flaming or
    trolling
  • Try not to derail topics with unhelpful posts
  • If you have a question, post it in here, do not make a new thread!
A few helpful threads:

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Question & Answer Index

Q: What are Ike's options for a Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR) and their uses?
A: Nysyarc's Answer

This is an example of the format we can use for our Q&A Index. If multiple people give an answer to a question and they have different points, I can link them all here with the names of whoever gave the answers.

Edit a year+ later--

Yeah so... we lost track of commonly asked questions. Just ask us stuff. And we'll say stuff. True stuff. Or at least good stuff.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lmao, RedX I hope you realize we'll probably need that post for OP extension, so I may be giving it to Brett. You may want to post again, lol.

:034:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Oh, a new thread to break in? My my my. Oh, the various firsts to try and claim.

For example...

Got to make sure I have enough text down for this, so I don't look like an idiot.

First signature used in thread get?

EDIT: Nope, because 502 errors are lame and apparently ate my sig. Stupid thing. Take the site off of this "upgraded server" or w/e it was already, and go back to how it was.

Max113

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon said:
*First sig used in thread* :]

Posting so this new thread will be amazing... (I don't know aether... XD)

Nice Brett.

EDIT: Thanks Nyke. That was embarrassing... DX

earla

Smash Lord
im a melbourne, australia ike player.

san mentioned he is used to playing 'gay' and having people play 'gay' against him.

how can an ike player play 'gay'?

tips on jab cancel? how do you use it to best effect? i don't completely understand it's purpose.

thanks

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I hate salt.

Hey Earla, welcome to the Ike boards. I think a lot of people have a different definition of Ike when it comes to playing "gay", but I like to factor it into two components. Offense and defense.

Defense: Spacing. Just using attacks at their pinnacle point to keep enemies away. Retreating F-airs, N-airs, and b-airs. Using shield a lot to protect yourself from incoming attacks, and just trying to figure out what the opponent is trying to do. Usually, a lot of time is spent in the match on the defensive end, but when you do land a hit based on their mistake or your read, you should start pressuring...

Offense: Ike plays "gay" on offense by jab cancelling and making good reads on the opponent depending on their DI. You can continue to jab cancel, go into a b-air, up-tilt, or grab. I believe one of Ike's strengths is the duration of time each of Ike's aerials have. Spot or aerial dodgers will get punished by Up-air, N-air and even F-air. By making good reads, you can keep them in the air, and continue to attack them the moment they hit the ground. Finally, Ike can be pretty destructive off stage. Yes he won't kill an MK or Pit, but his walk off d-air is really lethal and can give you a quick lead.

Jab canceling: Depending on your opponent's DI (read what he likes to do), and the weight of the character, your jabbing will be affected. You can continue to jab 1, jab 1, DDD, but against Peach, you go jab 1, up tilt.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
FIRST!...
Dammit.
If we're gonna use a new name, how about what I mentioned: Greil Mercenaries Fort?
Also: who is Salt? Does anyone know the answer to this? This alone baffles me.
Note: look at my avatar (PS: You lost the game)
inb4502doublepost

earla

Smash Lord
thanks very much.

does ike have any true combos?

how is ike effectively used in teams?

i heard about japanese players using b-throw to dash attack, is f-throw/b-throw to dash attack reliable?
what exactly are you trying to punish?

who are the best japanese ike players to watch?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
True combos = Jab, jab (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this), and B-throw to Dash Attack depending on opponent's percentage. It's different for each character.

*** players took a long *** time to discover it. We've been doing it for a loooong time. F-throw to dash attack doesn't work.

I think one of the best *** players is selcia (sp?), but we really don't care much about them. They don't upload as much, and on top of that, their playstyle is way different than American Ikes. They are more flashy, and more prone to messing up while we play a more defensive oriented, reading your opponent kinda game. Don't get me wrong, they read their opponents as well, but the over aggressiveness usually leads to their down fall.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
ooh, new thread, lol i go to bed, come back 11 hours later to find ashu's locked with a massive flamewar going on...
anyway. as for true combo's, sharkie also said about an autocancelled d-air (done by full-hopping and d-air instantly) and then jump to back air (short/full hop depends on percentage) but its almost pointless, for a lot of the stuff youre asking you can check the new guide which is frankly amazing

also, i am pretty confused on the name of this topic...but im thinking of 'mainland crimea' or something along those lines

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
as for true combo's, sharkie also said about an autocancelled d-air (done by full-hopping and d-air instantly) and then jump to back air (short/full hop depends on percentage) but its almost pointless
Actually you don't have to land the full-hop Dair. You full-hop and Dair immediately and then it ends in the air before you land, so you can then double-jump and Bair right away. At middling percents when the Dair hits a grounded opponent up to around the level of a full-hop, this is a true combo because of how fast Bair comes out, but it's very situational and won't work at lower or higher percents.

I'd like to devote today to figuring out what to do with the OP, even if not actually doing it all in one day. First things first, the salt stuff has got to go. It was funny at first but if a moderator other than me sees the OP as it is, they'll probably infract you for spam Brett, lol.

Brett, Bored, Ussi, San, RedX and I discussed the thread name a bit last night and decided it would be cool to have it change every so often based on various quotes from it's content. Hence the Dairy Queen IX (inside joke from our Xat convo). That would be the first part of the thread, so it's actual name. The second part would always be the same, something like it is now but without the 'Salt-Free', just 'General Discussion and Q&A Thread' or something.

As for the OP itself, I'd like everyone to sort of contribute ideas for what we can use it for. A video archive and thread directory are still good, and a Q&A archive as well (which we can start right now and have a nice directory as the thread gets going). If anyone has other ideas please let us know.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
lol brett the TX tier list shows me better than you XD that is all... also havent been paying attention to ashu... what happened? XD

Slaps - 1584.079
Teh Brettster - 1583.148

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
lol brett the TX tier list shows me better than you XD that is all... also havent been paying attention to ashu... what happened? XD

Slaps - 1584.079
Teh Brettster - 1583.148
Yah I noticed that new auto-PR thing, it's based entirely on numerical tourney results. Kind of interesting but not good for making an actual accurate top PRs IMO.

As for Ashu's... just plenty of drama; you can read the last few pages of the thread if you want but I don't feel like explaining it and I don't think anyone else will either, lol.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well, i'll go with this, sadly when you lot discuss things in the evening it means im asleep TT_TT
****ed timezones.
so i can go for dairy queen, makes us sound less formal anyway

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol, it'll change regularly anyways, it won't be Dairy Queen for long. And yah, I think using jokes or informal titles will make it seem less intimidating to new posters.

Brett needs to get online soon so we can work on the OP.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Lol, it'll change regularly anyways, it won't be Dairy Queen for long. And yah, I think using jokes or informal titles will make it seem less intimidating to new posters.

Brett needs to get online soon so we can work on the OP.

agreed, in the meantime, i reckon video's that havent been critique'd should be put in here whread all that have should be in op of critiques

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Slaps - 1584.079
Teh Brettster - 1583.148
Slaps, that list doesn't mean much. There are a bunch of people above me that I've consistently beaten in tournies before. If you just happen to go to more tournies than someone who is technically better than you, then you're put above them. Unfortunately for me, I probably attend a monthly, and that's it.

@Ussi: Well, while I was working out at the gym earlier, I usually listen to some "pumpy pump" music. I think a lot of us would agree on E.S. Posthumus - Pompeii. It's a popular song, epic, and I feel it goes well with Ike.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I just heard that song for the first time on Youtube. Sounds pretty good, and we can probably use it for our next CV when we get working on it after we finish the guide (inb4guidefirst). However, it doesn't really go well with Ike for me, but this is only my opinion, I don't really mind it if it's on the first page. For hilariousness, I would go with a song that has to do with friends or close to it (A Little Help With My Friends by The Beatles comes to my mind). Can we also add the xat we use for the biweekly on the OPs? It would be a great way to communicate besides by posting on the forums. I know I said it before, but I was much more comfortable with talking to people on an IRC on another forum I frequent. Well these are my inputs that I felt I should voice to try and help with the change happening here.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^Some scrub Ike used Pompeii in their video and it was terrible. On top of that, the song itself is too popular to use for CVs. It would be like using a Linkin Park song for an AMV. Everyone does a Linkin Park AMV.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
E.S. Posthumus - Pompeii.
When you mentioned it's a popular song and by the name I was thinking it was some hip-hop garbage, but that was actually really cool.

So you mean another thread on SWF embedded a music file in their OP? I wouldn't have thought that would be allowed but if it's okay then I could do that.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
A song on the first page would be pretty cool (as long as its not a bad song of course). But maybe we should discuss the actual content of the first post first? :p

Some possible questions to answer:
Is Ike easy to use?
How do I momentum cancel with Ike?
How do I jab cancel?
Who is the best secondary for Ike?
What are Ike's good and bad stages?
Who is the best Ike?
What does ____ stand for?
How do I get better with Ike?
Tap jump on or off?
How do I beat X character?
Does Ike have any Advanced Techniques?

Not sure if all of these are frequently asked though.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Whoa a Lucario main is top in their PR?

Anyways, how exactly are they embedding that music in the thread... I quoted the OP and found no external links besides the images. Checked all the posts below it too. Do you just have the option of putting music on a thread? Cause I've never noticed it if that's the case, lol.

Top Bottom