• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brinstaris DK's best stage-- End of discussion!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
this is not only my favorite stage as DK, but I am convinced that it is his best stage overall. just take a look at what happens when a DK picks brinstar...

- bair should kill anybody at 130% no matter the amount of staleness.

-undiminished bairs can kill jiggs around 65% and DDD around 100% RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- back throw will kill Jiggs around 70% at the edge and DDD around 90% without good DI *drools*

- down b will cover 95% of the bottom part of the stage. (they will get hit anywhere if you walk 1 steps of the center. i.e. they are on the very left, take one step to the left of the center and it will reach)

- up smash through the platforms on either side is great. if it hits their shields they WILL fall off the plaform, you can fallow up with a down b if they fall back on stage or f tilt if they fall off the other way (almost a guarantee fallow up here)

- DK can go under the stage and stall going from one ledge to the other

- uair is a great option if they are on the very top platform.

- if you find yourself not on the top area and the lava is rising then you can double jump and stall your fall by using side b and avoid the burn

- DDD can not chain grab you here as well as he would like. :)

- F TILT CAN KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *orgasms*

- A fair(no spike) WILL KILL A MK AS LOW AS 30% at the edge *head asplodes*

most importantly

it gives no other character this many advantages

not snake
not meta
not DDD
not pit
not ness
not diddy
NOT ANYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: characters that you should not lose to if you choose this stage
snake
ness
falco
ike
wolf
zelda
wario

more facts

- up smash can kill a DDD as early as 90% if on a platform

- f smash can kill DDD as early as 50% at the edge

- 9 WIND PUNCH CAN KILL AT 30%!!!!!!!!!!!(USE SIDE B TO 9 WIND PUNCH EVERY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

- spikes will send opponents through the acid/lava without it saving them around 80%

Veggi

Smash Champion
Wow, are the dimensions of the Melee stages really that messed up? I knew Corneria was, but dang. Sounds like something I'll look at. As some sort of attempted negative point, would the lava make landing meteors less useful? Actually come to think of it, meteor smashing people multiple times in the lava sounds like a fun idea.

Would falling into the lava and having a hard time getting up due to bad vertical recovery rack up a large amount of damage? I don't play this stage much.

Also, I heard Ganondorf was good on this level, but I can't remember where or why I heard this.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Also, I heard Ganondorf was good on this level, but I can't remember where or why I heard this.
Ganondorf can suicide kill you on Brinstar without actually suiciding if the lava rises. His midair forward B will spike you through the lava, but the lava will break him out of the grab and save him.

This works on Norfair too.

The one thing about Brinstar that I'd think DK wouldn't like is that if a projectile camper destroys the connector on the lower part of the stage, they can move to the other side of the stage and be very difficult for DK to deal with.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ganondorf can suicide kill you on Brinstar without actually suiciding if the lava rises. His midair forward B will spike you through the lava, but the lava will break him out of the grab and save him.

This works on Norfair too.

The one thing about Brinstar that I'd think DK wouldn't like is that if a projectile camper destroys the connector on the lower part of the stage, they can move to the other side of the stage and be very difficult for DK to deal with.
the only spammer capable of destroying the part you can would be ness. the other characters' projectiles I'm fairly sure will only hit 1 of them. even if they are destroyed then you can ledge stall until they come back

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I really hope a certain someone doesn't read this before his next tourney. His snake is beast on the stage, but reading this, i think I'm ready for his counter pick. Nice to know.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I wanna test this out with DK, sounds good.

Btw, what if someone CPs MK when you choose Luigi's. Hell...

Wrap It Up

Smash Apprentice
Looks like a new cp, I usally used BF or LC since the platforms can help cancel UpB and my Utilts and Usmash can hit up there. But thanks ripple, Im going to practice this map right now.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
I was actually able to 9 Punch a Marth after he had already side-stepped by using the fleshy things holding up the ledges to elongate DK's hitbox. Of course, I didn't know that would happen at the time, but I'm glad it did! I even saved the replay and got it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK4uRQgXQQw&fmt=6

Please note that this video is not me trying to showcase my skill nor do I really want comments about how I played. I just wanted to show another reason why to like (or hate?) this stage. It's the last kill, so you can just skip to the end if you want.

EDIT: Exact time is 2:20-2:28.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
Oh my god. No wonder the best mmoney match I veer palyed as Dk was on brinstar. Lolz I picked it and then 3 stocked this insane meta, killing him with undiminish b-airs at 60% jesus christ! I am SO picking this stage mre now, and it's totally allowed

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
the only spammer capable of destroying the part you can would be ness. the other characters' projectiles I'm fairly sure will only hit 1 of them. even if they are destroyed then you can ledge stall until they come back
What are you talking about?

Also Snake can Nikita and grenade camp DK. Pikachu can Thunder jolt camp.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
What are you talking about?

I was saying that since ness' pk fire is a multi hit projectile it will destroy the middle with 1 blow. the others are all single hit ones that no matter how big(zelda's fire)or powerful the projectile it will only hit 1 block thing

Also Snake can Nikita and grenade camp DK. Pikachu can Thunder jolt camp.
snake can not grenade camp DK on this stage trust me. I've played samuraipanda on it and 2 stocked him and all he does is spam grenades and down b and up tilt. just down b when he's on the lower level and up tilt when he is on a platform.

pikachu also can not thunder jolt camp. for him to do that he would need to be above a platform to stay somewhat far away from DK as the lag of thunder jolt is quite long, but guess what being above a DK on a platform is the worst thing they could possibly do. especially for pika. bair at the far end would kill around 60% and an up smash on the platform will kill pika at about the same. it would be extremely unwise of a pika to spam on this level.

anybody else care to try and come up with a way that will make it seem that DK will have a disadvantage to a certain character

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
But the point is you can't simply ledgecamp if you're going against Snake or Pikachu. Snake's Nikita stays out forever and can go anywhere. Pikachu's Thunderjolt hugs the stage.

Also, Pikachu can D-smash the middle connector.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I thought Snake can uh.. use a damaged bridge to 'infinitely' D-throw until it's time to U-tilt, then death?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I thought Snake can uh.. use a damaged bridge to 'infinitely' D-throw until it's time to U-tilt, then death?

I have not heard about this, if it is true you can still easily avoid it.
But the point is you can't simply ledgecamp if you're going against Snake or Pikachu. Snake's Nikita stays out forever and can go anywhere. Pikachu's Thunderjolt hugs the stage.

Also, Pikachu can D-smash the middle connector.
nikita is not that good, you should not be getting hit by that more than once every 5 games even if they use it often, NO JOKE. if you are getting hit by that constantly, sorry, but you are not very good.

and you can ledge stall against pika, they must approach to some degree because of the collapsible bridge in the middle of the stage and the part the keeps the platform together. that means they must between those 2 objects to try and get you and you can just drop from the edge, double jump and uair them, then up b back to the stage. even if one is destroyed then by the time pika tries to destroy the other one then the other one will respawn. you have 2 shields for you against pika .facts are...

YOU CAN LEDGE STALL AGAINST PIKA
YOU SHOULD NOT BE HIT BY THUNDER JOLT AS NEARLY AS MUCH AS ON ANOTHER STAGE
IF THE MIDDLE IS DESTROYED THEN PIKA SHOULD NOT HIT YOU

Tenki

Smash Hero
Actually, I just got two videos and their results mixed up. It's not necessarily infinite, but it gets Snake alot of free damage.

Basically, the bridge (as well as the flat platforms) limit the choices you have against Snake.

These videos were posted in the Snake stage discussion thread:
Cat Fight (Snake) vs Shy Guy (Wario)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4gkEyeNbUw
1:20 is the example that Cat Fight used in his thread.

Cat Fight (Snake) vs Kenpachi (Sonic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY-V0tGaSEw
1:20 a bit of Platform-ownage > U-tilt
1:40(?) more bridge-related demoralization.

I think in the videos, the bridge is damaged on only one side, but if it were damaged so that it was lower on both sides, then getting D-thrown in there would mean a semi-infinite d-throw for Snake.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
It varies, because remember the opponent can kill you earlier to. I just fought a Sonic there, and it was pretty bad because he actually got KO's off of D-smash, and Uair ko'd very early of the top

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I love Brinstar for my DK. Personally one of my favorite things about this level is when you and your opponent both hit the acid at about the same time and close to the same place, I smash DI a bit so I will be close enough to u-air them, its great since DK recovers from hitstun quickly and well nothing is better for killing than an u-air near the top of the screen, plus a lot of people air dodge right after they get hit by the lava to try to regain control of their character sooner, so I can punish the dodge with an u-air.

It varies, because remember the opponent can kill you earlier to. I just fought a Sonic there, and it was pretty bad because he actually got KO's off of D-smash, and Uair ko'd very early of the top
You are the heavier character in the vast majority of all matchups, plus you have a lot of KO power as DK. These give DK a much larger advantage with the lower kill percentages than it does to other characters, plus by allowing DKs tilts to kill effectively, you can replace what would be a smash attack on another stage for a kill with a tilt, which is ALWAYS better.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I never seem to do that great here when I counter pick it. I usually just go to Japes instead but after getting ****ed over by the river god in doubles and singles at a tourney I went to yesterday I've decided to learn the ways of Brinstar. Can anyone help me out with some more advice?

Luigi player

Smash Master
You should never die because of the river as DK. He can jump out REALLY fast and can use his upB immediately.

Anyway, at Brinstar I usually just spam smashes, tilts or aerials...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
How is brinstar vs GaW?
bad things happen. I wouldn't reccomend it unless you really know what your doing and have great DI.

What about snake on the top platform camping a c4? (jump > c4 > jump > blow up > repeat)
any place above DK is a bad spot for the opponent. uairs and bair will go unpunished and throw in a side b every now and then if they continue to camp. if you can't handle snake, another good CP would be Rainbow cruise

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I don't like this stage for DK, but that's probably just because of my playstyle.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Oh no sorry folks best stage for DK is mansion! Rather my mansion....well until I un repo it from Ajax.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Show me a meta that can beat me on that stage and I'll laugh. I don't ever lose on my stage trust me.

Top Bottom