• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brinstaris DK's best stage-- End of discussion!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
ehh I won't try, I know DK ***** on Mansion too. I'll just stay out of the mansion and on my ship~~ (Ike owns the pirate ship)

Tujex

Smash Ace
I'll stick with BF, though I'm loving the results on Brinstar. That'll be my CP for Snakes and Falco's who give me problems on BF.

i1337

Smash Ace
i always get pwned on bf :( i always get knocked up onto the ledges, and i rarely even get to utilt/usmash/uair someone on the platform above me. :(

Lizard

Smash Ace
Brinstar is a GREAT counterpick stage, and is well in my arsenal, but if i have the choice, mansion is way more the stage for me!

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
Brinstar is Great, as long as I don't take snake there, cause then it suddenly goes in snake's favor with his derned tilts. But once off the stage, it's pretty easy pickings. In a recent tournament, I took all my CPs there and I only lost one time. Got 4th out of 27th at that tourney cause of brinstar!

pastaboy

Smash Champion
add diddy to the list of players you wont lose to on this stage. He has trouble as it is just to get his banana game going, dk will surly make a monkey out of him on this stage.

ADHD

Smash Hero
So I might use dk for the cp on this stage but I'm worried about warios and metaknights who spam tornados, because I don't know how dk handles them. Warios, kirbys, and metas are the only people that bring me to this stage so what should I do against them? What can dk do to wario if he gets a grab on him?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Meta Knight shouldn't be that hard on that stage.. 2 days ago I 3 stocked one that tried to whorenado me ^^ you just have to avoid his tornado and punish his lag with a grab or an attack. You can jump away from the stage to avoid the tornado, or you can hang on to the ledge.

This stage is still really good for my DK, but I have a problem now... I always SD on that stage and then I lose. It nearly always happens that I SD. I sometimes I CPd my enemies there but I always SDd and lost because of it. (the fights were still really close, I hate SDs)
I always airdodge while falling down and then I can't get back up to the stage >_> this happens REALLY often. Once I also wanted to upB through the stage (from below and to get on the stage), and I thought I'm up there and then I wasn't and died -_-

This stage sucks for me now, because I always SD and lose >.< It would be the best CP there is if I didn't do that, but yeah... it always happens :(

Sliq

Smash Master
What about Delfino? Walls for d tilt infinites, water for cargo into spikes?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
What about Delfino? Walls for d tilt infinites, water for cargo into spikes?
you could probably make a case for that, I've beginning to think that jungle japes is DK's best stage rather than brinstar

Sliq

Smash Master
you could probably make a case for that, I've beginning to think that jungle japes is DK's best stage rather than brinstar
I hate Japes if only because of the Klap Trap.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
I used to use Jungle Japes before Brinstar lol. It's an excellent stage for Dk. High ceiling and wide walls so DK can survive longer, just don't bring anyone with projectiles here, it'll be a horrible game for you.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I used to use Jungle Japes before Brinstar lol. It's an excellent stage for Dk. High ceiling and wide walls so DK can survive longer, just don't bring anyone with projectiles here, it'll be a horrible game for you.
Yeah, especially ROB is really overpowered vs DK on Japes... but I think with the upB brake this stage is even better for DK. You also can't SD here :D (unless you get hit from the Klap Trap lol)

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i really hate brinstar. i've tried using it for DK counterpicks at 3 tournaments now, and i haven't been happy w/ any results. I think its a great stage in theory...but DK is just too big and can't maneuver as fast or flexibly as most everyone else for the lumpy floor, and the platforms seem a little to ackward for my taste.
I just use Battlefield, has alot in common with brinstar, but easier for DK to approach.

Sliq

Smash Master
I'd like to nominate Delfino for the best of counterpick stage of the less janky variety.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
I'd like to nominate Delfino for the best of counterpick stage of the less janky variety.
I've never tried DK on Delfino due to it flying so much, afraid of SD's and stuff. Next time I play I'll try that out.

@ Bigfoot - Pokemon Stadium is an awesome stage for DK also. I love that stage it's my fav lol.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
with PS1 you can use down B on the windmill thing.

Also where would you guys CP olimar to?

Revven

FrankerZ
Add Samus to one of the characters that does pretty bad here against DK. Not only can she not use her Zair well, her homing missiles do pretty bad because of the terrain, as well as her blaster. She has to be on the platforms if she wants to do anything, she also has to hope you get hit by the acid so she can hit you. It's not a very good stage for Samus, and I can attest to that because I counterpicked two Samus' with DK on Brinstar and beat them both there, they even complained about it being bad for Samus while we were there. :p

This is truly DK's best stage, IMO, I counterpicked it the ENTIRE time in the tourney I went to and won every time I counterpicked it.

It's too good, use it wisely.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
The thing about Delfino is that its a good stage for a lot of people though. DK has a lot of advantages there but so will a lot of your opponents. The thing I like about Brinstar is that not only is it a good stage for DK, but it also sucks for a lot of other characters, making it double awesome.

Revven

FrankerZ
The thing about Delfino is that its a good stage for a lot of people though. DK has a lot of advantages there but so will a lot of your opponents. The thing I like about Brinstar is that not only is it a good stage for DK, but it also sucks for a lot of other characters, making it double awesome.
Yep, DK has too many good advantages on Brinstar versus everyone else who just sucks there with the exception of a few (Wolf is one I believe).

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
i really hate brinstar. i've tried using it for DK counterpicks at 3 tournaments now, and i haven't been happy w/ any results. I think its a great stage in theory...but DK is just too big and can't maneuver as fast or flexibly as most everyone else for the lumpy floor, and the platforms seem a little to ackward for my taste.
I just use Battlefield, has alot in common with brinstar, but easier for DK to approach.
QFT Cyphus.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I actually use BF a lot too. I used to use Luigis Mansion, Japes, and Brinstar as my CPs for most matches. They where certainly helpful for certain matches, but BF is just the old reliable stage.

Also, am I the only one who likes Onett on the occasion that its legal.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i think i like Norfair for DK, lol....
i've never CP'd it, but i've had it CP'd against me, and its always been super easy.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
i think i like Norfair for DK, lol....
i've never CP'd it, but i've had it CP'd against me, and its always been super easy.
I'm confused, you said you counterpicked it at 3 tournaments that one post and now your saying you've never counterpicked it. One post saying you hated it and other saying you sorta like it. :ohwell:

daisho

Smash Lord
I'm confused, you said you counterpicked it at 3 tournaments that one post and now your saying you've never counterpicked it. One post saying you hated it and other saying you sorta like it. :ohwell:
First one was talking about Brinstar; the second was talking about norfair.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
First one was talking about Brinstar; the second was talking about norfair.
Oh wait, that was my mistake. I missed Norfair and I thought he said Brinstar, that's what I get for skim reading posts, lol.

daisho

Smash Lord
he was never talking about brinstar >_>
Yah he was ;)

Niiro

Smash Ace
Wow, this stage is aesome for DK , ty Ripple =D. But do you know any character I should not counter pick it to?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Ive only lost 1 time on this stage out of approximately 15 matches.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I hate Brinstar. I really don't know if it's good for DK or not, but it usually doesn't work out for me. It sounds so good on paper, but things tend to go poorly for me there. I really just don't like the stage.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I think I lost half the matches I went there... or a little less.

Because of SDs. If I wouldn't have made them I'd probably never lost there =/ the lava never rescues me >.<

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I think the down b is a little exaggerated on here. People were saying its really good and yes it is, but you cant rely on it as much as one would think.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
It may not be DK's best stage but it is a good CP once you practice on here a few times it can help a lot with characters that CG or camp (with the exception of snake.)

When I first started playing on it in random friendlies here I was expecting to just ****, and its not that simple. You have to learn your strategies and tricks, just like any other non-nuetral cp stage. Here is my personal list of tricks:

• For me, the key has been landing lagless spinning kongs in various places, including dropping from the ledge and doing it up from below onto the main bottom platform, and during the highest lava stage onto the top platform
  • Once you have control of any part of the stage during lava rises shield grabbing can force your opponent out into the lava, be mindful of using bairs on characters with bad grab release times
  • Sharking aerials from beneath the stage without much risk bc of how good DK's horizontal recovery is can help a lot when you are stuck on the ledge, just dont do it too much or you will get metoered
  • Other characters may get ambitious and try to return you the favor with their own sharked aerials, its really obvious and well timed SA can put them in a very bad position
  • Its a very small stage so bairing offstage can kill pretty low, so can the first SA hit of spinning kong, although thats a lot more risky
  • Reverse utilts can combo into uairs on the side platforms, and if you can get a bair in then you can proceed to edgeguard
  • Dtilt can chain together more than usual against the breakable part of the bottom, and when it breaks if they fall down your opponent is going to be in a very bad situation, especially if its a fast faller
  • Your smashes are going to be a lot harder to avoid and space against, especially during lava, and since the ceiling and sides are so close you dont have to worry as much about stale moves, and if your stuff is fresh it will kill really low

I hope that list helps you guys, just keep in mind chars with exceptional aerials+recoveries can give you a run for your money (primarily Wario, Kirby, Peach.)

Top Bottom