• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawlplusery Official Codeset 5.0 RC1 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
I'm playing Cape's set and have not had any crashes so far. I never got the premade package, so maybe that's the thing...

shanus

Smash Hero
Seems the PAC files are loading correctly but the GCT file is not. Anyone have a clue?

Edit: Uhh, it seems what is actually happening is that my old GCT is loading, which explains why the PACs are loading but the other codes aren't. But my old GCT file isn't even on the SD card anymore. WTF is going on?
Do you use USB loader or something?

Manually install the GCT and pacs and see if it fixes it.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Ok, figured it out. Apparently:

All of the installers on the Brawl+ website send the codes to sd:\codes because the new version of Gecko OS (1.9.2B+) uses this folder. Assuming this was the correct folder I was replacing that one with a new GCT over and over again, only to find out that version 1.9.1 of Gecko OS uses a different path.

TLDR; PEBKAC.

Sails

Smash Ace
Ok, figured it out. Apparently:

All of the installers on the Brawl+ website send the codes to sd:\codes because the new version of Gecko OS (1.9.2B+) uses this folder. Assuming this was the correct folder I was replacing that one with a new GCT over and over again, only to find out that version 1.9.1 of Gecko OS uses a different path.

TLDR; PEBKAC.
I'm using 1.9.1 and it uses \codes.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
After using GSH1 (which still doesn't work), RC1 now freezes.

I already backed up my old RC1 fighter folder and GCT and now swapped it out, and after freezing used the updater, still freezes. I'm sure this ISN'T because of GSH1.

Anyone know?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Okay, Cape I absolutely love your set.
Almost all of my complaints with RC1 physics wise have been fixed. Lower hitstun and NADT make everything feel MUCH better.
Combos aren't nearly as cookie cutter and NADT compensates the combo game very well. I for one throw my support for it; I never stopped wiggling my way out of hitstun when I started to play B+ because old habits die hard after so much Melee. I hope that is a change that makes it in.
I remember that I was pushing for these kind of changes a few months ago and saying how a lot of the physics changes could naturally balance the cast out to a degree and I definitely see that happening. I have to use DDD as the example because he's my main and all :V
He feels like much more of a viable threat with these physics. Combo heavy characters don't have their way with him when they get in without first predicting my next move to try and escape. It allowed me to effectively change up my playstyles and take more risks in hopes of higher rewards. Having to resort to less gay because I play a character who hates RC1 physics is a plus in my book.
It feels weird saying it but everything just feels more Melee. Still distinct from it though; just adapted a more string based system which then in turn puts more importance on techchasing and baiting.
It was exactly what I needed to respark interest in B+. Refreshing and what I was saying B+ should be months ago. Good stuff, can't wait to see everything when the characters and physics are more polished.

sandbags06

Smash Cadet
Ive been playing 5.0 for a couple of days now, and I really like what you guys have done. Falco's SHL is awesome, that just made the game much more enjoyable for me.

The only question I have is: Is there a way to make Luigi's aerial uppercut make the *ting* sound? Obviously it's not that important, but it's just not the same without it.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Hey, I'm having a problem. I load up B+ and everythings fine, but Auto L Cancel doesn't work. What's wrong?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Okay, Cape I absolutely love your set.
Almost all of my complaints with RC1 physics wise have been fixed. Lower hitstun and NADT make everything feel MUCH better.
Combos aren't nearly as cookie cutter and NADT compensates the combo game very well. I for one throw my support for it; I never stopped wiggling my way out of hitstun when I started to play B+ because old habits die hard after so much Melee. I hope that is a change that makes it in.
I remember that I was pushing for these kind of changes a few months ago and saying how a lot of the physics changes could naturally balance the cast out to a degree and I definitely see that happening. I have to use DDD as the example because he's my main and all :V
He feels like much more of a viable threat with these physics. Combo heavy characters don't have their way with him when they get in without first predicting my next move to try and escape. It allowed me to effectively change up my playstyles and take more risks in hopes of higher rewards. Having to resort to less gay because I play a character who hates RC1 physics is a plus in my book.
It feels weird saying it but everything just feels more Melee. Still distinct from it though; just adapted a more string based system which then in turn puts more importance on techchasing and baiting.
It was exactly what I needed to respark interest in B+. Refreshing and what I was saying B+ should be months ago. Good stuff, can't wait to see everything when the characters and physics are more polished.
Dammit Plum stop reading my mind!

zxeon

Smash Lord
I like everything about the new set aside from move decay. I don't understand what that actually adds to the game. It's a hamfisted method of trying to control spam that creates more problems than it effectively solves. If it were gone I would fully support this set.

Smash doesn't need to cut corners anymore, we've got enough time to get it right.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
i'm interested in seeing how it effects regular play. having attacks link into themselves is not something wanted and is being dealt with, so i'm not worried how this will effect that. if it becomes a big problem, they'll fix it somehow.

what makes this worthy of experimentation, however, is the implications that moves change as they're used, in this case transforming into more combo-esque attacks. in a set with diverse mixups and unlikely, almost immediate combos/strings as the focus, it's hard to say what a mechanic like this can do. good or bad, it could lead to noteworthy results.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I have a few problems with Cape's set:

1. Autojabs being gone is a dumb decision any way you slice it. "It was too easy!" can't be the answer to every change, and emphasizing speed and technical ability before balance and fun is the wrong way to go. I.e., put your e-***** back in your e-pants and change autojabs back. :p

2. ZSS' dtilt launches the opponent at the most bizarre unusable trajectory ever. Why was this done?

Edit: Yeah, dtilt needs to go back, seriously. Also, can you just remap jumping to footstool? The way it is in vBrawl is intuitive and simple and it makes a lot of sense to the player. Adding another button to footstool the opponent just feels bad. Footstooling should be performed via the action that it physically is, i.e., jumping on another player's head.

jokey665

Smash Ace
Also, can you just remap jumping to footstool? The way it is in vBrawl is intuitive and simple and it makes a lot of sense to the player. Adding another button to footstool the opponent just feels bad. Footstooling should be performed via the action that it physically is, i.e., jumping on another player's head.
This. Keep footstooling as part of jump, remap no-footstool-jump to some other button for the whiners.

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman

1. Autojabs being gone is a dumb decision any way you slice it. "It was too easy!" can't be the answer to every change, and emphasizing speed and technical ability before balance and fun is the wrong way to go. I.e., put your e-***** back in your e-pants and change autojabs back. :p
Except the removal of auto-jabs actually gives you more control and doesn't affect fun in any way, it even helps balance as it limits the Pikachu *********** among other things, i.e. if you want your jabs to come out just press the god**** button accordingly.

Footstool on a separate button prevents it from happening accidentally, which is good.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Actually there are 100 uses for ZSS' autojab, especially in the Falco match-up. ZSS vs Falco is already unwinnable, nerfing it further is just stupid.

Holding A to stop his Phantasm camping shenanigans was a legit strategy. You can't ask the player to tap A on a one frame jab at the perfect point during a move like phantasm, it's just silly. If you don't approve of said strategy then the WBR should at least stop nerfing ZSS' aerial setups (Dthrow and dtilt in Cape's set are both terrible).

If you don't want to foostool at the wrong time then don't jump at the wrong time, it's very simple.

Foo_

Smash Rookie
You've never had it happen where you accidentally footstool someone out of your combo, or do that weird super-jump thing where you just go flying? Or even gone down to try and nair someone or whatever and just jumped on their head? It happens way to randomly to be mapped to just jump

The Cape

Smash Master
I have made a few updates since. The footstool code was removed as it was suspected to be causing crashes and the autojabs were cleaned up much better. The issue with those was the machine gun jabs more so than anything. Characters like Snake that could jab as fast as a machine gun was rather silly.

Anyway, the updated stable set:

http://www.filefront.com/14949387/GSH1118.rar

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Actually there are 100 uses for ZSS' autojab, especially in the Falco match-up. ZSS vs Falco is already unwinnable, nerfing it further is just stupid.

Holding A to stop his Phantasm camping shenanigans was a legit strategy. You can't ask the player to tap A on a one frame jab at the perfect point during a move like phantasm, it's just silly. If you don't approve of said strategy then the WBR should at least stop nerfing ZSS' aerial setups (Dthrow and dtilt in Cape's set are both terrible).
Your logic is completely backwards -- characters with a frame 1 jab are the perfect characters to interrupt Falco's phantasm. And ZSS's jab has a hitbox duration of 3 frames, giving you a decent amount of room for error. Combine this with the phantasm's smaller hitbox size in Cape's set and you have something that really shouldn't be that difficult to do.

This isn't about "e-*****" at all -- having a solid, continuous wall of hitbox available on frame one is stupid game design. If you feel that the matchup is worse than 65:35 - 70:30, suggest real changes to improve the matchup (without drastically affecting other matchups) rather than holding on to a gimmicky crutch.

CloneHat

Smash Champion

It was too easy; as someone just said, it's a continuous wall that comes out in one frame. It does not affect balance, fun makes NO difference in a competitive game, and it makes jabs more precise. I was just surprised it took this long for them to be removed.

And Cape, can you get Bionic Sonic to make an auto-updater or something for your set? I can't download the latest link.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Dammit Plum stop reading my mind!
I'm back on the B+ scene which also means I'm back to say what's on your mind before you can!

Autojabs are silly. It's perfectly reasonable to expect a player to use their frame 1 jab to beat out Falco, just to use the example given here. Being able to react to a Side B and hit the jab just right is a reasonable test of skill and knowing the matchup. It would take some practice but by no means is a 3 frame window to win out in that situation absurd. It just accomplishes exactly what removing auto jabs sets out to do: removing easy mode and forcing a little skill into the game that rewards those who put the effort in.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Doesn't knock over DDD or DK, that's all I've tested for the moment. The standing chaingrab is not possible, but the standard (dashgrab) one works.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Nightly, or something important please?! I want to change our upcoming tournament's set, this Sunday!, to this one, but it probably won't be accepted by our TO if it isn't a Nightly, or in the Brawl+ update-ifier.

Add, please!

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Clone, grabbed the wrong file, fixing it now.

RPGs, nightly soon.
Excellent. If it's made into a Nightly by this Sunday, the 22nd, I might get to have it set-up at our tourney. =]

I'll definitely come back to report how well it went over there. =]

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
Got a freeze with the latest build, Cape.
I was Dedede against a CPU Mario on Halberd, was holding left at the beginning of the match and the freeze occurred when I tried to F-tilt. Hope that helps.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
most of my freezes happened right at the beginning of matches.

i started acting right away, right after GO during these instances. i stopped doing that and didn't get freezes for awhile, until facing a charizard. this was with the first update for Cape's set.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
get the latest update.

And yes, the Dedede and Charizard .pacs are messed up.

BTW cape, are the squirtle and ivysaur .pacs broken too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom