• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

Kryal

Smash Ace
Umm...why would it open a game that's not Brawl?

It's made to open Brawl exclusively and that's it.
Many games use the same archive and compression formats because it's part of the Wii SDK. The same goes for the brres resources, so long as they use the same tool kits. It wasn't really intended, but SmashBox COULD technically open files from other games.

Not that I've tested this, nor does it change my development plans.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
Kryal your the best! and smashbox is amazing.
after your wonderful explanation on line breaks and where to put the proper letters and numbers i have finished my strap_en.pac and cant wait to finish the whole disk.

your help is great and your ability amazing.
you have been very kind to this old man...who's 'mother is a hoser eh'

i cannot THANK YOU enough for everything you have done

wanna see how i wrote it:

Jose_Gallardo

Smash Apprentice
Haven't tried this app yet, but I have to say I'm impressed with what goes on nowadays. I can't believe I didn't notice Smashbox until a few moments ago. Will give it a shot soon. Just a few other errands I have to run first.

If this will do what I hope it will, maybe I might be able to finish a little something I had planned for a while. The only thing holding me back is the fact I lack 3-D anaglyph glasses...

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Bug report: I have a brres in the folder with Smashbox, but it doesn't show up as a readable file. I even set it to only show brres files and it still won't show, so I can't edit it.

Still, awesome work. Why don't you allow modelswapping through?
The program is obviously able to view the data behind a model, but not edit it. This presented a problem when I tried using it to give Lucas' PK thunder to Ness.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Don't feel too bad. This is the only forum I've released the software on. I'm not exactly 'in sync' with the Brawl and modding community, and I don't have a website for this yet. And besides, the way my life goes I couldn't handle more than one forum at a time!

Kryal

Smash Ace
Bug report: I have a brres in the folder with Smashbox, but it doesn't show up as a readable file. I even set it to only show brres files and it still won't show, so I can't edit it.

Still, awesome work. Why don't you allow modelswapping through?
The program is obviously able to view the data behind a model, but not edit it. This presented a problem when I tried using it to give Lucas' PK thunder to Ness.
Check and see if your folder options allow you to view file extensions. Sometimes a file will say .brres but not actually have that extension? That's the only thing I can think of at the moment, and may be possible if it's the only file that you're having a problem with.

Models. Another thing that is yet to come. I got to the point of displaying models in an earlier version, but took it out because it was causing some issues. I still have all the old code so it wouldn't take too long to develop. I plan on rewriting the display code to use OpenGL (cross-platform), and would allow you to swap out textures and see how they look on the model before actually saving the file.

This and many other things, so little time...

camelot

Smash Ace
Models. Another thing that is yet to come. I got to the point of displaying models in an earlier version, but took it out because it was causing some issues. I still have all the old code so it wouldn't take too long to develop. I plan on rewriting the display code to use OpenGL (cross-platform), and would allow you to swap out textures and see how they look on the model before actually saving the file.
This would be incredible.

This and many other things, so little time...
Like audio swapping? :grin:

In regards to that, I got a hold of the Japanese smashbros_sound.brsar, and tried using the File Replacement code with it. It didn't work. That means the File Replacement code would have to be updated to be able to replace .brsar files, or you'd have to burn a custom disc.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Check and see if your folder options allow you to view file extensions. Sometimes a file will say .brres but not actually have that extension? That's the only thing I can think of at the moment, and may be possible if it's the only file that you're having a problem with.
Sorry, ignore that. The issue was a user fluke. I backed my entire Brawl hacks folder onto my other hard drive and forgot I did, so I wound up looking in my D:\ for a file on C:\.

Jose_Gallardo

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this is a bug, or its just my PC acting silly, but I get the following error when trying to replace one of the images for the Homerun Bat, even if its the same exact exported image (not edited):

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '16' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
Parameter name: Value
   at System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown.set_Value(Decimal value)
   at SmashBox.TEX0Replacer.cboFormat_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedItem(Object value)
   at SmashBox.TEX0Replacer.Recommend()
   at SmashBox.TEX0Replacer.TEX0Replacer_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SmashBox
    Assembly Version: 0.57.3522.30459
    Win32 Version: 0.56.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Jose%20Gallardo/Desktop/SmashBox.exe
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4926 built by: NetFXw7
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Everything else works perfect, except when trying to edit that one file in the Homerun Bat texture directory. Good work on this app.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Everything else works perfect, except when trying to edit that one file in the Homerun Bat texture directory. Good work on this app.
Haha! Yes, it is a bug. It would only affect CI8 palettes that have 16 colors, which apparently is what this texture is. I meant to type the number 16 in the code, but instead typed 17. Let me see if I can get a solution for you...

Jose_Gallardo

Smash Apprentice
Awesome

And from what you told me, I can get around this issue just by editing the image file the old way by means of the CMD, and just make the palette bigger or smaller, and then Smashbox won't read it as a 16-color Palette.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
One question... Will it be possible to edit say... Lucario's annoying alpha map with this? I tried everything I could think of, but just like in PSA, I can't get rid of that cursed alpha map on his body texture.

Also, yay for Linux and mac support! Glad to see Smash Bros hacking not being limited to Windows users!

Kryal

Smash Ace
Awesome

And from what you told me, I can get around this issue just by editing the image file the old way by means of the CMD, and just make the palette bigger or smaller, and then Smashbox won't read it as a 16-color Palette.
Nope. SmashBox reads the colors of the original texture and 'suggests' a format based on the original. The error is actually in the control itself, because SmashBox sets the minimum to 17 (accidentally) and then tries assigning it 16, causing the control to throw an exception. This will happen regardless of what texture you supply.

One question... Will it be possible to edit say... Lucario's annoying alpha map with this? I tried everything I could think of, but just like in PSA, I can't get rid of that cursed alpha map on his body texture.
That may be in the model file itself, I'm not sure. I can't seem to find an 'alpha' texture so to speak. It's not in any effect files either. The data is somewhere, it's just a matter of finding it. :)

spiderjjr45

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone figured out why some things aren't allowed an Alpha map? I really really need to make the brim of Ness's cap transparent, but it always comes out white!

Kryal

Smash Ace
Has anyone figured out why some things aren't allowed an Alpha map? I really really need to make the brim of Ness's cap transparent, but it always comes out white!
This was discussed a few pages ago. Are you using Photoshop with TGA files? If so, easy solution: use PNG.

Also, the original texture doesn't use transparency. So, using a transparent texture may not work. Sometimes I wonder if that information may be stored in the model file itself (materials).

spiderjjr45

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it must be something coded into the model, 'cause no matter how I work the Brim: TGA, PNG, Photoshop, Gimp; it always comes out white.

I'd like to see some progress done in that area of hacking, though. It could make for some very interesting hacks in the future.

Jose_Gallardo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it must be something coded into the model, 'cause no matter how I work the Brim: TGA, PNG, Photoshop, Gimp; it always comes out white.

I'd like to see some progress done in that area of hacking, though. It could make for some very interesting hacks in the future.
The model's original texture is white. So if you were to make all the clothes and stuff transparent, you would have a white-naked model. This does not apply to all parts of the model. For example, Ike's Model Hair is transparent, with only the outer layer covering the model's transparency.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
yes wario has similiar model textures, he has white pants, brown bukle and black/white face , i was wondering where the color came from but this all makes sence now

Mackorony101

Smash Cadet
Just a note for you to put in as an update. When you export a file that has a "." (period) in the name already it just saves as a file with no extension. I think the program thinks there is already an extension so it doesn't add one. Hope you can fix it in the next version ;)

Kryal

Smash Ace
I don't have time to go through this thread so I quickly have to ask how to do CSP's with Smashbox?

I'm a n00b, I know.
Open common5.pac, look for 'sc_selcharacter_en/char_bust_tex_lz77'.
Or, if you're lazy you can use BrawlScape.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
Just a note for you to put in as an update. When you export a file that has a "." (period) in the name already it just saves as a file with no extension. I think the program thinks there is already an extension so it doesn't add one. Hope you can fix it in the next version ;)
i just add your .png xtension after xtraction and its all good

Kryal

Smash Ace
Yeah, it has something to do with how the file dialog interprets extensions. You can either type the extension in manually or delete the period. It's not exactly high on the list, but should be noted. ;)

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Apparantly you're now adding model (display) support to Smashscape or whatever.. I take it Smashbox will be getting the too, yeah?

Also,I think that will help us to finally figure out this alpha map business.

Jose_Gallardo

Smash Apprentice
Funny thing,

I couldn't replace CSPs with Smashbox using a brand new common5_en.pac file, extracted from my SSBB game disc. Everytime I extracted one of my Mario custom CSP from an edited PAC and replaced the Mario CSP from an unedited PAC, the Game would freeze on the CSS. However, it works (or seems to work so far) with a common5_en.pac file I had lying around my D:drive, and that one was already edited through CUPASH.

So what I am trying to highlight is that I couldn't get CSPs to replace properly with a fresh common5_en.pac, only when I used an already edited PAC run through CUPASH.

Jose_Gallardo

Smash Apprentice
Yes, of course.

At first, I thought it was something with the extraction/insertion of the PNG/TGA. But what I am most concerned is that it might be the Brawl ISO that I have. I already tried ripping my Brawl Disc 2 times, and everytime I use the common5.pac from that ISO, Smashbox gives me problems.

The common5_en.pac that I am currently using (the one that works with smashbox) might be from another ISO I downloaded a long time ago, before I had any means of ripping game discs. So now I want to try a PAC file from elsewhere. Anyone have a link or can provide me with the common5_en.pac directly? I need to do some testing. Thanks.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Nice find! I'm still confused as to why the game freezes on CSPs (or common files in general). I suspect it has something to do with the compressed file size, but I could be wrong.

I've done lots and lots of file comparing, extracting, repacking and haven't had any success. Compressing the files with ntcompress produce an exact copy of the files SmashBox produces, so it's not the compression algorithm...

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Man, am I ever behind on the times! I just gave this program a whirl a day ago, and already my character customization for PSA is soaring. This program is amazing! Very nice work, Kryal.

Seeing all the data for articles laid out like that makes me feel like we're this close to editing character projectiles proper. Or even importing articles from one character to the other!

Am I off my rocker, or are these kinds of things in this programs future potential? Either way, thanks for the great program!

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Seeing all the data for articles laid out like that makes me feel like we're this close to editing character projectiles proper. Or even importing articles from one character to the other!

Am I off my rocker, or are these kinds of things in this programs future potential?
You're not wrong, I'd think. I mean, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about now but it looks good.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
Kryal ,
you should have a link to this and smashscape in your signature to advertise them... they are great work!

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I decided to use this or brawlscape to attempt to replace CSPs. SInce most of the guides are for CUPASH, I'm a bit confused as to what exactly I'm supposed to do to replace them and have them work properly. First off, should I use GIMP or Paint.net instead of photoshop? And do I need to make magenta backgrounds when replacing CSPs with brawlscape?

If not magenta, then what color is read as transpearant in the program?

Kryal

Smash Ace
I decided to use this or brawlscape to attempt to replace CSPs. SInce most of the guides are for CUPASH, I'm a bit confused as to what exactly I'm supposed to do to replace them and have them work properly. First off, should I use GIMP or Paint.net instead of photoshop? And do I need to make magenta backgrounds when replacing CSPs with brawlscape?

If not magenta, then what color is read as transpearant in the program?
Transparent is transparent. New version will have a better transparency indicator.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
So essentially, deleting the background of the picture(leaving that checkered space) is transpearant. Alright then.

I managed to replace Kirby gray CSP with one pic that seemed intent on remaining gray whenever I pasted it over kirby. I kept trying to put in this specific picture as well.

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy122/nuclear432/luigi1_big.png

But it freezes my game every time. Even after reindexing(the picture is already indexed) and eliminating all of the magenta.

Kryal

Smash Ace
This will sound crazy, but delete the bottom half of the texture and try again. If it stops the freezing, then you have too many colors.

_Vuze_

Smash Apprentice
Well Kryal, please continue your work on SmashBox ^__^
Model preview 4TW <(^_^)^

Top Bottom