• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

Kryal

Smash Ace
You can send me the file if you like, and I can look at it. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 71 color block. If the texture is color-indexed, you'll need to convert it to 32-bit color. Transparent palettes will not be saved properly by most imaging programs.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
below is texture'd character dumped by SMASHBOX ,
done by adobe cs3:
magic wand'd and layers paste'd and a cupash CSP
-->cs3 fails (for me) to render properly the CSP for smashbox ...
(upgrade?? or program?? switch needs to happen to fix me so i work with smashbbox)
here is my first texture made by SMASHBOX yesterday:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zzm5tyhjfdq
(if you wanted a look see...itS alot like fire yoshi , since i used A fire picture layer'd into yellow yoshi)

Kryal

Smash Ace
Okay, here are some instructions on setting a transparent background for CSPs in Photoshop.

1. Convert the image to RGB format. Go to Image -> Mode -> RGB Color.

-
  2. Convert the background to a floating layer. Right-click Background -> Layer From Background.

-
  3. Prepare Magic Wand. Tolerance = 0, Anti-alias and Contiguous both unchecked.

-
  4. Delete the background. Click on a magenta area and press delete. The background will now be checkered, meaning it's transparent.

Edit:

Save the image as a PNG.

TGA files require that you manipulate the alpha channel manually. To do this: create an alpha channel (if it doesn't already exist), clear the alpha channel to white, magic wand your background, switch to alpha channel, delete.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Or you can open the color table, find the magenta color, and change it to transparent.
TGA doesn't support a single transparent color, and Photoshop doesn't save palettes in 32-bit format. Therefore, transparency with paletted TGAs doesn't work. The only format this works with is GIF.

You CAN select a transparent color before converting it to RGB format. In which case you eliminate steps 2-4.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
thank you so much , Kryal

i see my error was in step three, i had not unchecked Anti-alias and Contiguous.

this is great, no longer needing to add evry csp and wait, i can now change 1 csp with ease and speed.

thanks for all your help and smashbox.exe

edited this comment after a many attempts : (47 other characters and the lavayoshi 10 times)

after a many attempts : (i have followed the easy instructions)
i still get a white background.
imediatley after replacing i look at the the common5_en.pac with smashbox.exe to see how it went after saving as...
...and the newly added transparent .tga (32bit) is not transparent at all, but still white in the back ...same as befor

why do all the csp's show magenta when seen in smashbox ? but the 1's i replace are white??

i followed steps 1through4 no problems..tried saving with the figure higlighted by magicwand ...and after a few ...i tried deselecting the image, then saving ...always white backgrounds...same as before.

i have been photoshopiong for 3days and i have 277 total to do with 47 left and smashbox has yet to show me a transparent background.

...my olladies gonna leave me cause i spent all my day and nite on adobe cs3,smashbox and cupash... and i havent gotten anywhere with smashbox today after 17hrs of trying combinations. im kinda frustrated and need a break... but i want this to look rite .

cupash fails on these 47characters (im not fond of cupash i like smashbox), even when selecting 15 colors (instead of 72)...the wii will only freeze and make a beeeeep noise rite before the character select screen. but , with smashbox i can add a 256color .tga and it works great but is white in the background making 47 characters look odd compared to the 1st 230 pictures

thanx for any more input you can give.

more edit: finaly a combo that works for me
...not .tga but, saved as interlaced lavayoshi.png works as long as i select 'rgb5a3' as pixal format in smashbox .
some rest finaly!! then i will change the lot ...again...probly all 277 and the little faces too, boy my olladies gonna hate me now that i can make the csp's look real nice with smashbox... i will be sitting here for another 3 days fixing cupash pic to look way nicer.

thanx again

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
so...
(now that all the big csp's are done)

...where in the common5_en.pac do i switch out the little faces from in game using smashbox.exe ?

(cupash never changed out 1 little face for me yet)

Kryal

Smash Ace
Okay, I feel like an idiot. I may have found a solution to your problem, but it doesn't have anything to do with SmashBox. Given the steps outlined in my earlier post, Photoshop will successfully save the alpha channel if you save it to PNG format. If you save it as a TGA, it won't work. Why? I have no idea! In order to save the alpha values for a TGA in Photoshop, you need to manipulate the alpha channel manually. Maybe this will help:

1. Convert to RGB format. If your image doesn't have an alpha channel, create one.
2. Magic Wand your background.
3. Switch to the alpha channel, press delete.
4. Save.

Of course, you could just save it as a PNG and be done.

Edit:

As I have just discovered, Paint .Net and Gimp both handle TGA images just fine when you delete the background color. You may want to check it out if you have either of these programs. It's as easy as select, delete, save.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
thanx for the info

i had checked :
common5_en/sc_selcharacter_en/Type1[90]
howevr what i had done must have been wrong, since i froze the game rite away.

i will try again . thank you.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
Of course, you could just save it as a PNG and be done.
willdo! .PNG it is, as its the 1st way that has been sucessful for me.

are there any limits on number of colors? ..or are there any troublesome characters?
...since i plan on using smashbox, soley, in the future, and rite now more then half of my csp's are magneta with lowered amounts of colors?
(i prefer the quality csps with the most amount of color possible..but i dont know anything of limits )

Kryal

Smash Ace
Do not reference the CSP techniques used for CUPASH. It is very limited on image quality, and the process is different. All you need is a 32-bit image 128x160. SmashBox will create the palette with transparency for you. It just needs to be included in the image. There are also no limits on the amount of semi-transparent colors, so you can add feathering or anti-aliasing borders to your CSPs.

The only limitation is 256 colors in a palette. You can try changing the pixel format to RGB5A3 instead of CI8 to achieve more colors. This is one of the rare cases where changing the pixel format will (should) work.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
The only limitation is 256 colors in a palette. You can try changing the pixel format to RGB5A3 instead of CI8 to achieve more colors. This is one of the rare cases where changing the pixel format will (should) work.
1.)none of my images are over 230 colors.
-why is it that some images freeze the game when C-18 is used but RGB5A3 work ?
-then other images are exact opposite only C-18 work and RGB5A3 freeze the game?

2.)-how many image changes can be done at once with smashbox and all turn out fine ?
-could changing all 6 samus characters, then changing all 6 sheik characters, then saving the result be 1 of my problems, should i only change all 5 of 1 character then save and close smashbox test and reopen then change the next set?

3.)i have a couple hundred images left to do and testeing each 1 is a real pain.
i have yet to actualy try the SD method and all my tests have been to SSBB.iso.
...the sd must be faster then transfering 7GB constantly...
Aside from the name change to common5.pac ,would the SD method tested work all the same once injected to the SSBB.iso after the name changed back to common5_en.pac?

again thank you for smashbox and all the help you have already been. sorry if i overwhelm you with questions...and sorry for referance to cupash.

: playhard,modsoft:

Kryal

Smash Ace
Use the SD card, it will save you a lot of time and effort. Not only that, but the load times will be much faster. The files will work for both SD and ISO methods.

There is no limit on the amount of changes you can make to a single file.

Any freezing that occurs is due to a corrupt file somewhere. If this happens, try remaking it from scratch or send the pac/pcs to me. It's possible that one texture is ruining it for the rest.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
okay, thank you very much for the offer! (i may have to take you up on it)
i will manipulate my bigs some more and if it fails i will post for your aid ... i dont wanna just pass it off and force your labor, i should try for a while longer.
(as far as character texture goes every1 added and tested with few needs for alterations. just CSP trouble here so i may need to send the CSP's and common5_en.pac to you)

also,
does it matter about file size of the common5_en.pac?
what selection do i choose in smashbox to keep the common5_en.pac at 11.6mb ? , the file size seems to change with every CSP entry...mostly smaller in size with each addtion.

(i am unfamilar with codes, i use altered iso for easy loading from usb)

after seaching i found this code, i tried to use it to run the original common5_en.pac renamed to common5.pac from sd with and with stickmans help it runs well , i can now save at least 10 minutes between adding csp's while testing.

thanks again

(edit this comment...)

wow! Wii_erdest thing just happened
...a few times over....
i can added the dual sheik CSP's in zelda postion
(by mistake,the 1st time, of course...13,14 ...1 # off, yeah i been wasting many days on this)
and all went well! , all the sheik CSP's in the zelda postion work great.
so i thought that i should fix it and sheik was in front, in her postion instead of where zelda should have been.
Exact same settings(of course) in smashbox, a few times i tried, but the CSP's dont work in the sheik postion ...where they should be when they worked just great in the wrong spot, where zelda should be.
??any idea why??

Kryal

Smash Ace
also,
does it matter about file size of the common5_en.pac?
what selection do i choose in smashbox to keep the common5_en.pac at 11.6mb ? , the file size seems to change with every CSP entry...mostly smaller in size with each addtion.
The CPS are all LZ77 compressed inside of the archive. When a texture is replaced, its compression will change depending on the data. If you have a lot of redundant data (similar colors/patterns) it will be smaller. File size doesn't matter so much as data integrity :)

so i thought that i should fix it and sheik was in front, in her postion instead of where zelda should have been.
Exact same settings(of course) in smashbox, a few times i tried, but the CSP's dont work in the sheik postion ...where they should be when they worked just great in the wrong spot, where zelda should be.
??any idea why??
Do the textures just not show up, or does the game freeze?

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
1st) good to know about file size cause i have many other csp problems...glad thats eliminated as a problem
(testing csps has just gotten faster with the sd code and sd file placement for common5.pac, bby i think about 45mins /csp)

2nd) textures freeze as the show up on css or show then freeze on pressing + to start the brawl.

okay my update is:
i have not gotten to create any small csp's, yet.... testing 1 big csp at a time is alot to do, but i am managing faster now with common5.pac on sd instead of testing iso each itme from usb.

the 70 other csp's ,to test ,i have brought down to 34 .png's, previously made, that need to be checked still.
if i add 5 at a time i get errors ,4sure,

...sheik csp's, i used all, again, but 1 ...the 5th csp.
it had too many transparent colors, i believe.
wiierd, how they all worked in the zelda space for csp's... i dont know why.

i guess im not good with consistancy in photoshop or the pic's i used were flawed
(some of my 'unlimited camera' (code) shots didnt render rite when transfering .bin to .jpg ..i dont know why)

all the characters work great when injected to iso.

the few that froze the game (upon attaining the brawl ball) i had to smashbox their textures out of the origiinal creators .pac and .pcs and smashbox them back into the (2 examples:) wario01.pcs or zsuitsamus.pac to stop them from feezing and it worked great.
(some charactersi could through an original00 character into a 01 by just renaming the pac, but others i had to open with smashbox to see the original #.pac and alter the #.pac/pcs to the space i now put that character into, as i changed prety much every character or texture on the game in the last month.

without SMASHBOX i would be very frustrated instead of a little frustrated... but its all due to my age and inferior knowledge of PC, SMASHBOX ROCKS and has aided me like no other brawl apps could !!

i fear i will need some more pointers
and think what started out to be a few character changes has grown into an addiction of changing almost everything i can.
thanx for your support and as always for smashbox!

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
just seen that brawl+ strap loader has changed the 'online play not rated by esrb' screen to say'welcome to the world of brawl +' can that also be altered with smashbox?? if so how?

thanx again... i just needed a break from all the errors i have run into with csp's for a bit.

Kryal

Smash Ace
just seen that brawl+ strap loader has changed the 'online play not rated by esrb' screen to say'welcome to the world of brawl +' can that also be altered with smashbox?? if so how?

thanx again... i just needed a break from all the errors i have run into with csp's for a bit.
Look in the menu/strap folder

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
yes ... beleive me i have

i have changed all 9 texture's in the strap many times, now,

but the screenshot that says 'online play not rated by esrb' is not a texture...

...and is eluding , even the search functions here and google do not show me anything of use on changeing this screenshot i speak of.

any idea what part of the folder? and since its probly not a texture what would i do to change it...

so i can have a thank you screen there for others to see..

...thanking you smashbox and the creators of many customs i used in my iso... that way all who play many compilation will see, at the beginning, that i do infact appreciate your help and the work of many people.

sorry, maybe you dont know and thats okay its not a texture..i believe.

Kryal

Smash Ace
i have changed all 9 texture's in the strap many times, now,

but the screenshot that says 'online play not rated by esrb' is not a texture...
Ahh, I see. There are two places where this message is located. One is in "menu/msg/boot_online_en.msbin". There is a copy of this file located in StrapEn.pac, the first file entry. You should be able to hex edit the msbin file and see if that works. If not, you'll have to edit the one in StrapEn.pac.

You could actually expand the message without making the file bigger by typing over the other languages. You'll have to change the offsets at the beginning of the file. 0x0A is a line-break.

Support for editing the msbin files would be rather easy. Hmm...

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
Support for editing the msbin files would be rather easy. Hmm...
really ! that would be great!
'cause the hex edit stuff went rite over this old gezzer's head.. but i will try to look into it a bit .

zoom ...rite over my head, but i have a hex editor installed so attempting is not all impossible.. just unlikley i can actualy do it.

thanx for yet another helpful response to my myriad of questions!
i hope the hex edit thing isnt too hard, i will try.

wow in a matter of seconds i have it hex workshop hex editor did the trick!
the ' 0x0a ' part lost me ....but at least with the small line change i can thank you for all your help
(unless you explain further overwritting the other languages)
!!!!!!!!! thank you very much your so very helpful !!!!!!!!!!!
thanx,thanks,thankyou,merci,and thanx some more!!!!

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
hypothetical question, msbin file changes besides me wanting to type over the other languages

if you made smashbox able to change msbin files .... could that help me change the rating of brawl from
TEEN to MATURE ?

due to :
-brstm's that have explicit lyrics
-demonic characters such as zombie ness and Satanic Cursed Marth
-naked samus
-pits final smash (ToplessRangikuMatsumoto)
-peaches nude final smash

i have no problem useing these characters that i have downloaded
but would like to use the parental guidence feature of the Wii to stop some younger children then my own and religious family members from playing the game when im not around.

my twin boys and i cant believe what smashbox can already do to brawl and now that you mentioned hex editor the boys have reminded me that we could realy use a 'mature' rating on this game.

i want to show you my strap loader ...thanking you for your help. i will post it here with my complete common5_en.pac when i am complete... so you can see how smashbox help me.

thank you (as always) for everything

ayojoe

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm new to Smash Boards and I'd just like to say this is a really cool app you have here for the Brawl mod scene. CUPASH has not been working for me at all and I was wondering if someone could help me from start to end on making CSPs and BPs for Brawl, as well as tips for replacing other things. I've read other people's CSP/BP problems, but now that there is a basic understanding of it, could someone help me w/ the known common knowledge about it?

Now, how are the replacement pictures supposed to be formatted for the CSPs/BPs. I know they have to be the same size, but do I still need to index them, save them as .TGA, add magenta background, etc..

Are the Brawl Portraits included inside the Common5.pac? If so, do you know which directory they are under because I feel like I searched the whole thing and can't find them. Will I have to resort to my InfFace.brres files from CUPASH.

Basically where do I start because I know the SmashBox method of things is different. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Here are a few tips that you should always follow with SmashBox:

1. Keep the image size the same as the original.
  2. The image will be converted AS IT IS FORMATTED. If you put a magenta background in your image, it will show up magenta. If the background is transparent, it will be transparent.
  3. Use 32-bit images, either PNG or TGA format. Avoid using BMP/JPG/GIF formats.
  4. Try and keep the color count and format close to the original. If you need more/less colors, you can change the format when you replace the texture. Be careful though, this may or may not work on some textures (works for CSPs).

Are the Brawl Portraits included inside the Common5.pac? If so, do you know which directory they are under because I feel like I searched the whole thing and can't find them. Will I have to resort to my InfFace.brres files from CUPASH.
In-game portraits are in the info\portrite folder.
CSPs are in "common5_en/sc_selcharacter_en/char_bust_tex_lz77".
Stock portraits are in "common5_en/sc_selcharacter_en/Type1[90]".

Kryal

Smash Ace
could that help me change the rating of brawl from
TEEN to MATURE ?
The rating system is rather unfamiliar to me, but I can assume a few things:

The content rating is most likely not stored on the data files themselves. I imagine the system checks the content BEFORE running the game.

If this is true, the content rating would have to be stored in either the partition files or the main.dol executable.

Unfortunately, I have very little experience in these areas. This question might best be posted to other members of the community. You might also want to check out the dolphin-emu project. These people are the experts on the Wii/Gamecube systems and how they work.

ayojoe

Smash Rookie
In-game portraits are in the info\portrite folder.
I can't find that directory in the common5_en.pac in SmashBox. Could you tell me exactly where it is like you did with the others?

Kryal

Smash Ace
I can't find that directory in the common5_en.pac in SmashBox. Could you tell me exactly where it is like you did with the others?
They're not in common5, "info\portrite" is a folder on the disc. Every in-game portrait is contained within its own InfFace file.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
Stock portraits are in "common5_en/sc_selcharacter_en/Type1[90]".
what part of the game do we see InfStc or stock portraits ? on the no contest winner screen?
(not a big deal when i change them i geuss i will see where they show up in game)

also i have not figured out how to make the linebreak
You'll have to change the offsets at the beginning of the file. 0x0A is a line-break.
can you explain further please, i am using hex workshop...but i wish smashbox did it, i already put a thanks to you there but i would like more room and a few more lines for test.

-wow im on the infacebrres now too
wow what a pain to dump out 1 at a time with wiiscrubber 1.21
then mod each picture
then reinject them 1 at a time.

edit=
Trucha signer just dumped all the InfFacebrres in a few seconds
now i will know what each are very easily . just useing smashbox and add the faces fast, smashbox rocks!
so far it doesnt seem to matter about how many transparent colors are in the pictures for inffacebrres.
adding pic will go faster then i thought , i tested a few with SD method before i inject back into iso and even the 1's with 200 transpart colors seem to work fine

another edit=
(haha,rite on, also just figured out that smashbox creates the pcs, or pac file by selecting either at the bottem while saving the character....would be nice and fast if there was a 'both pcs and pac selection' when saving as well but this is great since i am fixing some characters now as well.
this pac save then pcs save sure makes fixing characters much faster ...since most texture creators create only a pcs file and then once injected the character reverts back to normal on boss fights or after final smashes )

and i am at only a few reamining CSP's totouching up that i have made,
turns out most my trouble converting CSP's was a driver problem with a few of my usbharddrives and 2 failing pci video cards.

Smashbox is such a treat! smashbox has helped me create 4 character s for brawl
downloadable in my album folder on my profile page if you wanta see some of your wonderful smashbox in action, of course LavaYoshi my avatar , ArcticSamus, VolcanicSamus and Hollowman(wario)

i cant say it enough, !thanx so much for smashbox! , it also texture hacks other games like monster hunter 3 i done some weapons..haha smashbox is so great!

Kryal

Smash Ace
You don't exactly edit the textures, you're really just replacing them. You have to use some image editing software to change/create a texture, and use SmashBox to insert it into a file. Right-click is your friend! :)

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
WHAT! Alphatron said I could actually edit them.

I guess it's back to stupid old gimp....

and I don't want to get photoshop cs3...it freaking costs $650!!!

Kryal

Smash Ace
it also texture hacks other games like monster hunter 3 i done some weapons..
I was wondering when someone would figure this out! An unintentional feature. Many Wii games use the same data/archive formats so it's not too surprising.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering when someone would figure this out! An unintentional feature. Many Wii games use the same data/archive formats so it's not too surprising.
i total exploit this feature now , haha , great accident

Kryal

Smash Ace
-Just a quick update-

I'm sure a lot of you have been wondering what I've been doing for the past few weeks, what with all the no updates and everything. I have some good news and bad news.

Good news is, I'm still working on SmashBox on a regular basis. Not as regularly ad I'd like mind you, primarily because of work and trying to move. Bad news is, I haven't done a speck of work on audio replacing like many of you have been hoping for. :urg:

Back to the good news! Many of the things that NEED to be done are well on their way:

• I'm converting SmashBox to be included into the new SmashTools project, which has an SVN in the making.
  • SmashBox has been split apart into BrawlLib, a .Net library that will allow any program to access the resource nodes within data files.
  • SmashCmd, a command line program that will expose BrawlLib and allow resource files to be managed from the command line.
  • Completely cross-platform between Windows, Linux, and OSX. (Eventually, I hope)

So, this conversion is going to take some time. Please be patient! And now some screenshots:

SmashBox on Ubuntu:

SmashCmd in action:

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
i realy like this wow and ported to other OS's rite on

if you dont mind a few questions about changes

1.)what is Smash Tools project part going to be like? easy movemnt and ability modifactions ?
(i would love to change how charters move and act)

2.)are you going to add a .exe icon and some assosiated icons for .pacs, .brres ,brtsm and supported files?

3.)are you going to add a feature to pull a whole folder out of common3/5_en.pac and replace whole folder?
, for speed and ease of replacing all 250 or so CSP's and InfStc (totaling 750 give or take)

or maybe somthing like change the name of the ARC file from FitCaptian00 to FitCaptian01 so its fast and .iso wont freeze or revert characters to normal ....due to to many characters using fitcaptian00 .

4.) did you add support for editing the msbin files ?

any way your doing you program up , i am excited you are still working on it.

lighter note...i got 100% on a poisonous gas test today,
so i only got through adding to iso about 120 InfFacebres , and changing out a few things in a common3, i like the new(to me) sandbag i got over 1300ft and 102% damage in stadium today a personal best record on a texture EVERLAST sandbag

i think just a few more days and the basic first try at changing everything i could will be done... then i wanna try ' .iso Ver.two ' where i make the textures for each and every character on my own,with CS3 and Smashbox (but thatll take alot longer)

.... as always thanx again for letting me use smashbox today.
hi my names markehmus and i'm a SmashboxAHOLIC....oh you mighta figured that by now

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
ahh what a disapointment Smashbox wont open any of the files in the new

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Smash Up

but the game has similairities to Brawl

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
Umm...why would it open a game that's not Brawl?

It's made to open Brawl exclusively and that's it.
yeah it made for brawl 'bud'... but it hacks other games with .pcs/.pac and such as well, ie monster hunter3. read ealier posts and you would have seen this.

so i was realy excited to get Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Smash Up since its basicly a brawl type game and hack a few of the human characters to look like my kids.

the files inside the game are much the same as well, nut no dice this time around.

Top Bottom