• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl vs. Melee, will you switch over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
i prefer brawl. **** melee i am suck of seeing the same caracters fight. you guys what what characters i mean. Melee is ****ing boring. Brawl isn't so bad. Matches can be insane. Melee i couldnt sit there by myself and just play i get bored. I am like that with other fighting games. i think that brawl is a game where everyone can be good.
NEWS FLASH: Brawl will be exactly the same.

To assume there wont be tiers in Brawl is ******** and to assume everyone is good in Brawl is ********. There are already characters who are obviously way better than the rest and while there will be more tournament viable characters due to the roster increase(more characters, larger upper tiers) there will be just as many characters that AREN'T tourney viable(More characters, larger lower tiers)

Also, Zhu, come to my house, I want to play Melee with someone T-T

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Nah sry to burst your bubble Toadster, but some of the things he mentioned are or have recently been found to be included in brawl...

we know tiers will exist but the gap in between the balance of each character will be less signikficant..

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
^ >.> is kidding...
Dude, honestly, just because you don't like Melee (you probably suck at it) doesn't mean you have to say "he's kidding" to anyone that supports it. Seriously, there are a lot of people that like Melee more than Brawl. If I wanted to be a **** like you, I'd just troll every pro-Brawl post you make and say ^ >.> is kidding...

EDIT:

Also, a reply to your most recent post. Yes, they do exist in Brawl (some of them) but they just appear in a very low-concentrated form.

Melee has:
-Combos: Brawl has lackluster combos that are relatively easy to get out of with DI. Melee has zero-to-death combos everywhere.
-Edgegame: Brawl's edgegame is very boring. Invincibility frames don't last particularly long, edgehogging isn't as effective, and almost anyone can recover safely, so edgeguarding to **** someone's recovery (like against Falco or Fox) is very... uncommon in Brawl.
-Fast placed gameplay: The general consensus is that Brawl's gameplay is horribly slow compared to Melee's
-Balance in gameplay: Although the characters feel more balanced in Brawl, I really don't agree much with this. I just don't feel it. However, Brawl's gameplay rewards a very campy style, and being aggressive isn't as easy because you can easily be shieldgrabbed or punished for an aerial because l-cancelling is out, so you have to suffer with your character's full landing lag.
-Better stages: Although this is entirely subjective, I think Melee's stages are generally better. Well, the COMPETITIVE stages anyway. Let's see: FD, DL, BF, PS, YS, and FoD v. Lylat, FD, BF, SV, (PS), YI. Final Destination is better in Melee. The way Brawl's FD is made makes it pretty easy to get intercepted during recovery, and Battlefield is debatably better in Brawl. Pokemon Stadium is better in Melee due to the fan and (I THINK) the edges. YS from Melee is personally my favorite stage EVER, and FoD is a close second. I'm not a very big fan of DL64, but it's been there since 64! Idk, I can do without it, though. What we have leftover is SV, YI, and Lylat. I like how they each have one platform. This should have been done it Melee as it would have made stages a little bit more varied. I personally love Smashville and YI, but I'm not a fan of Lylat. I just don't enjoy the atmosphere very well. Also, imho FoD+YS>SV and YI

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Dude I love melee... probably more than you, I play all smash games...

I can say somethings I really hate about brawl, especially the fact that my yoshi is gone. DJC completely negated or replaced because the upward drift is still usefull but less to my game.
Needless to say with all my techs gone I'm trying to switch and adapt... Most Brawl players still play melee, and consider it a good game although it has it's faults but a lot of melee players like to say they aren't there.

Brawl has it's flaws I know that but don't come up to me thinking melee was better because really, There was a lack of replayability fun when it came to competitive gameplay. It get's terribly boring to play the same characters and the clones made the game lack originality. That and the number of banned stages...

Now brawl has some improvement to do on the online gameplay but I don't blame them since they delay the game to make more copies since the demand was so high. But also the techs are gone the game is a little bit slower (depending on how you look at it), massive recovery's, higher defensive gameplay. But atleast each character has a defining fighting style to them to counter balance that.

It's floaty and slippery but take that as you will. and wtf for tripping.

But that doesn't really affect the gameplay much.

Oh btw some aerials are hard to shield grab from, one of the most common examples used is wario. The only true defensive character I find is pit.

I agree with above poster, but wat about stage creation, which I'm pretty sure some nerd will hack and add pieces someday.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I dont take my competetive brawl matches seriously because brawl isnt a game to be taken seriously competetively . So I sitll play both competetivly but I only get serious a bout melee.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
all the st00f you said put into a quote.
[note:i'm posting this, aware of the wordfilter :$ just read it after the filter, or just translate the switched words :D]

mmhm, totally with you on that one, as i'm reading these posts, i see people saying that b.rawl is better then m.elee... because they can barely wavedash, uhm... how can you say that b.rawl is better, when you havn't even fully played m.elee.

Yes, i'm a b.rawl-hater, the game is FUN, but not even close to m.elee, some people consider m.elee the best tournament game, it's beautiful... and b.rawl rather, well.. to me, and many outers, it's a disappointment. The game is slow, noob-friendly, not combo-rific (yea i made it up) like m.elee is, not to mention.. f.alcon blows in b.rawl, so that makes it 100x worse :) [im not a C. F.alcon main, he's jus a pimp]

I hate how just a random scrub can pick up b.rawl, and beable to actually do decent, with a character like i.ke, or anyone else in that game. Yea the game looks good, but the gameplay is horrible, screw it :]

whew, here i go rambling again, like every other b.rawl hater on here, man im getting sick of typing these things all the time.. hah

Now brawl has some improvement to do on the online gameplay but I don't blame them since they delay the game to make more copies since the demand was so high. But also the techs are gone the game is a little bit slower (depending on how you look at it), massive recovery's, higher defensive gameplay. But atleast each character has a defining fighting style to them to counter balance that.

It's floaty and slippery but take that as you will. and wtf for tripping.

But that doesn't really affect the gameplay much.
WHAT?

okay, they have some improvement to do with the online gameplay? yea.. i doubt they ever will. Nintendo has basically no experience with online gaming, basically all their online or "wifi" games, have been horrible (besides pokemon diamond/pearl really, but the whole friendcode thing throws it off) I'm pretty sure Sakurai said he wasn't going to patch the game also, so yea... dumb, lol.

and, tripping doesn't affect your gameplay much..? are you kidding me?

yes, i got this from that s.mash essay that someone wrote, but.. let's say your at a tournament, 1 s.tock to 1, and your character trips like an idiot, the person your fighting does a devastating s.mash attack, guess what.. there goes your match.

Mario_PHD

Smash Rookie
I played melee very competively, easily dominating all of my friends, then my friends got brawl and played it for a while, and I came to play and we were all even. It sucked.

OMAR the O

Smash Cadet
I do believe I am sick of the camp-fest that is Brawl and it's ridiculous air dodging system. I'm going to devote most of my time with Melee, unless Brawl uncovers more depth than Melee has.

protokid

Smash Cadet
I`ll switch!

I don't really use the techs in Melee.
I`m no real pro either, so I`ll defenitly switch with brawl.
Plus there`s an online mode in Brawl!

clockwerk

Smash Cadet
some of your guys reasons are just dumb.

1) "Brawl isn't competitive." WTF!!! any fighting game is competitive , and as an added bonus, Brawl is more fun:)
2) "They took out wavedashing." Real fighters don't have to use tricks. So there.
3) "Melee has better stages and stuff." i think they're dull and bland
4) "Wifi sucks." it's better than constantly asking you're friends to play whenever you're bored. Also, playing melee by yourself isn't as fun as brawl by yourself
5) "The game sucks in general." The one who started this thread only asked if you were switching. If you wanna complain, go somewhere else.

P.S. NEVER switching back to Melee

BlackPanther

Smash Ace

1) "Brawl isn't competitive." WTF!!! any fighting game is competitive by default, and as an added bonus, Brawl is fun:)
2) "They took out wavedashing." Real fighters don't have to use glitches and tricks. So there.
4) "Wifi sucks." it's better than constantly asking you're friends to play whenever you're bored. Also, playing melee by yourself isn't as fun as brawl by yourself
5) "The game sucks in general." The one who started this thread only asked if you were switching. If you wanna complain, go somewhere else.

With only one post count I don't think you're comin back so I'll leave you with this one word, "moron".

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Silly Kid, Brawl is for NOOBS

It's comments like this that make me sick...why would you post something like this on a MELEE FORUM... Grow the hell up and play a REAL game

--The MOP
More importantly why does that comment cause you so much trauma... by the way you answer his post you're contradicting yourself.

--The Fabrian

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Nice to see someone new to the forum who knows how to search! Hooray!

Rew

Smash Journeyman

1) "Brawl isn't competitive." WTF!!! any fighting game is competitive by default, and as an added bonus, Brawl is fun:)
2) "They took out wavedashing." Real fighters don't have to use glitches and tricks. So there.

I've never even played Melee before (not yet anyway), and I can already tell the glaring problems in your post.

1) I think what they mean is that it's less competitive in terms of pure skill at the tourney level. At least that's how I understand it.
2) On a matter as hotly debated as this, a topic that can fill up pages upon pages of text of relatively valid points on both sides of the issue, you probably need to do more than just baldly assert that it's a glitch and leave it at that. It's ultimately begging the question.
3) The Brawl stages are good, and what I've seen of the Melee stages seem good as well. In the words of the black knight who fought King Arthur on the road, "Alright, we'll call it a draw."
4) You do have a decent point that Brawl at least has WiFi, whereas Melee doesn't. Yet Melee was released in 2001, so it's a little unfair. That being said, I've heard so many nightmare stories about Brawl's online that it really should be looked into by Nintendo.
5) I actually agree with this point. xD

One of these days I'll get around to Melee (I'm a newcomer to the Smash series). When that happens, I hope that I'll be devoting equal effort to both games and thus avoid any rabid fanboyism. ;)

N355

Smash Apprentice
Trust me. Many people play melee exclusively or melee and brawl. It would be a smart decision to play melee as well. It is a great game and def more competitive than brawl. Do it up son

clockwerk

Smash Cadet
Silly Kid, Brawl is for NOOBS

It's comments like this that make me sick...why would you post something like this on a MELEE FORUM... Grow the hell up and play a REAL game

--The MOP
You just afraid everyone will beat you.

With only one post count I don't think you're comin back so I'll leave you with this one word, "moron".
You're wrong.

2) On a matter as hotly debated as this, a topic that can fill up pages upon pages of text of relatively valid points on both sides of the issue, you probably need to do more than just baldly assert that it's a glitch and leave it at that. It's ultimately begging the question.
3) The Brawl stages are good, and what I've seen of the Melee stages seem good as well. In the words of the black knight who fought King Arthur on the road, "Alright, we'll call it a draw."
4) You do have a decent point that Brawl at least has WiFi, whereas Melee doesn't. Yet Melee was released in 2001, so it's a little unfair. That being said, I've heard so many nightmare stories about Brawl's online that it really should be looked into by Nintendo.
5) I actually agree with this point. xD

;)
2) What i mean is, if you're going to fight, only use what's given to you at the outset.
3) I didn't say they were bad. I actually love them!
4) It's not the game's fault that people have lag, they just need to get a better connection.
5) I swear, some people really need to read that one.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
clockwerk said:
You're wrong.
Well you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Wavedashing isn't a glitch nor is l canceling. And even if they were why not use them, they're the most legitimate use of a glitch I've seen. And if you only use what's given to you as an outset then you're gonna be disappointed about Brawl then because if you've played "competitive" Brawl then you would know that there are glitches bein used in that game as well a lot of which are character specific which is unfair because the other characters can't use them, at least wavedashing and l canceling could be used by all characters.

And noone is afraid of losing to n00bs in this game. It's the fact that guys can keep up without having to actually practice at the game. I went to my friends house not to long ago and seein as how he loves Brawl he's always playin but the whole time it was close and I haven't touched Brawl in ages. You don't need to practice at such a n00b *** game.

If you don't like the game because it's slower and easier to comprehend what's goin on that's fine because not everyone is talented like the rest of us who can see what's goin on in Melee games. But you really haven't gave any reasons of your own to why you truly like Brawl, you're just agreeing with everyone else because it's the new game and now you have a chance to be known.

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
People play brawl because its a new game with plenty of new players and maybe they didnt play melee very well
People stick to melee because its a faster game and people that were really good at melee dont wannt to give it up...
Its all bout peoples opinions u cant really decide on which game is better

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
Harsh much. Fine, we all get that people like you don't prefer brawl, but you don't have to treat it as an insult to gamers everywhere. Besides, I'm ok at melee.
then why are you "never switching back" if you're still ok at it?

Overload

Smash Lord
why are so many people calling him crazy. He is perfectly sane. Many people are with you on this theOJ, including myself. I don't even play brawl at all anymore. I play melee like twice a week with friends which probably adds up to about 10 hours a week.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Meh, Brawl once in a while, but if I want some actual fun and excitement... I know where to find it. (hint: it's Melee)

So, to directly answer the OP, nope, not crazy. Can't stand trying to play Brawl competitively. It just doesn't work, it wasn't designed to be competitive. I basically regret paying 50 dollars for Brawl. (Maybe I should sell it...)

'Fro

Smash Lord
No. Not gonna happen. It actually took the release of Brawl for me to appreciate Melee more.

Smasha

Smash Rookie
I play both games, but think that brawl is better. Does anyone want to blame me? Try me in online brawl first then!

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I play Brawl only because that's where the majority of the community went...

I'm trying to get better at Melee now.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I play Brawl only because that's where the majority of the community went...

I'm trying to get better at Melee now.
And thats the only reason about half the brawl community is playing brawl, cause they think no one wants to play melee, if they spoke up they'd find that theres a great amount of people that still play melee.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
i hate how people do that. why would they anyway. if everyone would switch back who likes melee better melee would be just as alive as brawl. in theory that would work. but a lot of people are scared to try it.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ujDYGxFAC4

Your friends are gonna Brawl, man you don’t wanna go.
You ask for Melee, but they still say NO!
You missed 1 tourney and ur going berserk
Now your baggin on Brawl like you’re some kinda jerk

You gotta fight, for your right, to Melee

Your friend sees you wavedash and he says NO WAY
That motherf*cker just camps every day
Man, a game with no combos is such a drag
But you’re forced to play Brawl with a buncha ***s

You gotta fight

We’ll call you a *** if you’re still a Melee player
We’ll kick you out of our group if you don’t spam that Nair
Your friend comes in and says “What’s that s***”
But, your friend is just mad that he just trades hits

MELEE!!! MELEE!!

---

I was just bored so i decided to do this. It took like 10 minutes and I just bs'ed it

Inspired by this thread
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183408

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
As others stated, I'm only playing Brawl competitively right now because everyone else is. I really want to go back to Melee exclusively but no one in my entire state plays the game anymore. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom