• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl vs. Melee, will you switch over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Tell me why you hate Brawl; because it seems like you're trying to avoid it.

And saying "I want to get better at Melee" is a ****ing ******** reason.
It's not like a really passionate hate towards Brawl, I just don't like it as much as Melee.

I don't like that during my experiences playing the game, all it was is just trading hits, chasing Smash balls on the Bridge of Eldrin (Yes, I know it is a banned stage but I don't have a Wii. My friends like to play FFA's with smashballs, none use smashboards), and FFA's. I have not played Brawl with anyone from Smashboards (yet).

I know that the FFA's and the smash balls are gonna be gone if I play with other people, but the lack of hitstun and the tripping will still be there.

L__

Smash Master
You can't say that. "Technical dependency" and "indepth knowledge of characters, movesets, and opponents." are completely unrelated and indpendent from one another.
....I said they were different.

Melee also requires character knowledge and mindgames, AND technical skill.
where the **** did i say it didn't?

This does not mean that Brawl requires it any MORE than Melee does.
i never said it does.

If anything Melee requires more character knowledge because there are really only two dominating characters in Brawl right now.
i never said either have more than either. i just said one is more dependent on a specific style than another.

It's not like a really passionate hate towards Brawl, I just don't like it as much as Melee.
I apologize then, I take my statements back.

I don't like that during my experiences playing the game, all it was is just trading hits, chasing Smash balls on the Bridge of Eldrin (Yes, I know it is a banned stage but I don't have a Wii. My friends like to play FFA's with smashballs, none use smashboards), and FFA's. I have not played Brawl with anyone from Smashboards (yet).
Good lord, I'm so sorry. My matches with friends actually were legit. (Legit meaning no items, MLG stages...or what I think are MLG)

I know that the FFA's and the smash balls are gonna be gone if I play with other people, but the lack of hitstun and the tripping will still be there.

although that is true, people have their own preferences in what they want in a game.

I'll leave you to your opinion; thanks for your time?

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
....I said they were different.

where the **** did i say it didn't?

i never said it does.

i never said either have more than either. i just said one is more dependent on a specific style than another.
:/
Ok, fine. maybe i read it wrong or something, but anyways.

I don't understand why so many people think that Brawl can't be compared to Melee.
"They're different games!"
Well, no ****, everything is different. By this logic, we can't compare anything, because everything is different.
-I like apples better than oranges because I like the flavor, and it makes better juice.
-YOU CAN'T COMPARE THEM, THEY'RE DIFFERENT FRUITS!

Brawl is the closest thing to compare Melee to.
They're both games in a smash bros series,
Brawl is Melee's sequel,
They are more similar to eachother than anything else is, so why can't I compare the two?

L__

Smash Master
I don't understand why so many people think that Brawl can't be compared to Melee.
It's simple, ignorance is in human nature.

"They're different games!"
Well, no ****, everything is different. By this logic, we can't compare anything, because everything is different.
QFT....

Brawl is the closest thing to compare Melee to.
why not 64?

They're both games in a smash bros series,
so is 64.

Brawl is Melee's sequel,
64 is Melee's predecessor.

They are more similar to each other than anything else is, so why can't I compare the two?
we aren't limited to only comparing those two.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
It's simple, ignorance is in human nature.

QFT....

why not 64?

so is 64.

64 is Melee's predecessor.

we aren't limited to only comparing those two.
Well first, We aren't talking about 64.
we are debating Brawl and Melee.

I stated why I thought it would be embarrasing to boast about being good at brawl.
You told me it was null because I can't compare the two games.
I said some stuf...
then I asked why.
Then you go off making points about 64.

I want to know:

Why do you think I can't compare Brawl with Melee.
plain and simple.

L__

Smash Master
Well first, We aren't talking about 64.
we are debating Brawl and Melee.
You were asking why we had to compare Brawl and Melee.

I stated why I thought it would be embarrasing to boast about being good at brawl.
Face Azen then.

You told me it was null because I can't compare the two games.
I said some stuf...

then I asked why.
Then you go off making points about 64.
Because you asked why we were comparing Brawl and Melee.

I want to know:

Why do you think I can't compare Brawl with Melee.
plain and simple.
I'm waiting for a legit argument.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
You were asking why we had to compare Brawl and Melee.

Face Azen then.

I'm waiting for a legit argument.
I asked why you think we can't. Read.

I don't care how good Azen is at Brawl. That has nothing to do with the fact that I would rather be boast about being good at Melee then Brawl.

I don't care what you think of my opinions.
will you answer the ****ing question.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Lol, how bout this, I'll compare Melee to Smash 64, k?

In smash 64, there wasn't a huge amount of technical skill required(although there was alot, just not like, silent wolf/Shizwiz level of tech skill) however there was a huge amount of memorization. Because there is no DI, huge amounts of hit stun on all characters and zero lag aerials, most combo's will always work. Just watch any Isai vid, he's memorized the combos and set ups so well that alot of his matches have him doing the same thing over and over and over again(basically just one hit then a 0-Death combo) In that sense, smash 64 was a broken game, because defense was meaningless. There is no camping in Smash 64 simply because all out offense, when done correctly will lead to an instant kill. Comparatively Melee is a much more balanced game in terms of gameplay. Because there are very few instant death combos and because DI is available to the character being comboed, all out offense is no longer the only strategy. Camping becomes viable in Melee as do general Defensive playstyles. This isn't to say any one playstyle is better, however there are characters more fit to play one or the other. There are still perfect 0-Death combos in Melee, however most of them are only doable on Fox/Falco/Falcon. Also, Shielding actually becomes useful in Melee, where in Smash 64 putting your sheild up often just left you to have it broken. In terms of competitiveness, I would say Melee is the obvious better of the two, however in terms of balance, I'd actually give it to Smash 64, simply because while Pikachu may be amazing, the fact that any character can 0-Death any other character means that the game isn't that hugely unbalanced.

Edit: This would have been longer, but I decided to watch I Killed Mufasa instead.

Grunt

Smash Master
Neither of your posts even make sense anymore. it started as "I'd rather be good at Melee", it went through a series of misread posts and ridiculous comparisons, and ended up at "Why not compare 64 to Melee?".

we compare Melee to Brawl for one main reason. Melee>64. in any kind of lineage of sequels and prequels, you always compare the best one to the new one that hasn't been fully figured out yet. we already know what 64 and Melee have in store, and many will say Melee>64, due to Melee improving on everything 64 had, and more. so out of the first 2, Melee is the best. but then brawl, this new thingy comes in, and says "I would like to try out for best smash game." would you compare it against 64? if someone was trying to be the fastest man alive, would you judge them by having them race the 2nd current fastest man? No.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
I always say that to my friend about 64.
"Smash 64 is a broken piece of ****."
"But everybody's so broken, it's balanced."

EDIT: That's a good way of putting it, Grunt.
Though, I'm still curious as to why L thinks otherwise.

Invadergirjr

Smash Rookie
Woo! First Post!

I thought about switching to Brawl before the game came out, and I got very excited when I heard about the new features that were to come with the game (characters, online, replay value). Even when the game came out I thought to myself "this is going to be the next greatest fighting game for me".

But soon things started to annoy me about the game. The fact that there wasn't many Advance tech started to eat at me every time I played my friends. I tried coping with it by finding a new way to play, but I ended up winning many fights by spamming projectiles which doesn't suit me well. I thought that maybe if I played online I would learn to play better, but I was sadly disappointed by the fact that I couldn't play even a single online match (even to this day).

The issues "I" had with this game just started to stack up more and more, until it got to the point where the game became more of a hassle than entertainment. I started to pick on every little thing wrong with it, trying to show my friends why it sucks so much. I was constantly bashing the littlest of things, until eventually I gave up on the game for good.

Going back to Melee didn't really serve me well either, as I had soon found that many of my friends moved to Brawl when it was released. Only a handful of my friends that appreciated Melee as much as I did went back to it, and most of them live too far away from me for it to be too practical to have several matches. I also found that my skills were off because I got too used to the slower Brawl pace.

So thats where I stand now, a Melee fan with no competition surrounded by Brawl fans, some of which don't even own a Wii OR Brawl(wow...). I'm still waiting for something to be discovered in Brawl to make it please my competitive nature, because there is no way I'll be able to play Melee competitively any time soon (well, I can always fight lv9 CPU, but thats too easy :/).

HOWS THAT FOR A FIRST POST! WOO!!!!!

Cinder

Smash Master
^ Where do you live? See if there are any tourneys around...that and make new friends (you don't HAVE to give up the old ones...just make more, is all ^_^)

Hell, if you live anywhere near the Richmond area, my crew and I would love a bit of practice...

EDIT: Grunt beat me to it >.>...that was @ Gir...

Invadergirjr

Smash Rookie
Uhh, Alaska. Its not as desolate as the TV depicts it.

EDIT: but its small enough to the point where finding more competition is fairly hard

daisey

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ujDYGxFAC4

Your friends are gonna Brawl, man you don’t wanna go.
You ask for Melee, but they still say NO!
You missed 1 tourney and ur going berserk
Now your baggin on Brawl like you’re some kinda jerk

You gotta fight, for your right, to Melee

Your friend sees you wavedash and he says NO WAY
That motherf*cker just camps every day
Man, a game with no combos is such a drag
But you’re forced to play Brawl with a buncha ***s

You gotta fight

We’ll call you a *** if you’re still a Melee player
We’ll kick you out of our group if you don’t spam that Nair
Your friend comes in and says “What’s that s***”
But, your friend is just mad that he just trades hits

MELEE!!! MELEE!!

---

I was just bored so i decided to do this. It took like 10 minutes and I just bs'ed it

Inspired by this thread
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183408
so cool

And thats the only reason about half the brawl community is playing brawl, cause they think no one wants to play melee, if they spoke up they'd find that theres a great amount of people that still play melee.
how true, they also play because its easier and takes less technical skill.

I agree, Melee Falcon was the most awesome thing in the history of man.
lol

Brawl ISN'T competitive.
I 2nd this

curiousthoughtsbear

Smash Apprentice
People aren't having to defend melee and the debate as to whether Brawl is a worthy next-gen smash game is still going on. There's probably a reason for that......think about it

How long has it been out again ?

BTW burden of proof is on the new game, not the old. So anything you say against melee is chump change anyway, cuz its already defined itself as one of the greatest nintendo games ever.

Also, people believe what they want to. Whether its religion, politics, video games, climate change, etc...... etc...... Not anybody's place to judge them, however one can still try to persuade them otherwise. Try not to take offense to that, cuz I may deride the game but not the player.

Arigatex

Smash Rookie
This right here is the epitome of noobishness.
lol, yes u are allowed to call me noob cause i probably am, but the OP is asking if i would switch over and i expresed my opinion, ofc i dont play competitively i said what i said is cause a lot of ppl (especially on melee) were obssesed with nplaying only on techs so much they cant accept a more simple yet fun game thats all if you cant accept my opinion thats ur problem im sorry if i expressed it the wrong way...btw just so u can lol me ever harder i dont own brawl, but i do own melee since it came out and consider myself good at it

Cinder

Smash Master
lol, yes u are allowed to call me noob cause i probably am, but the OP is asking if i would switch over and i expresed my opinion, ofc i dont play competitively i said what i said is cause a lot of ppl (especially on melee) were obssesed with nplaying only on techs so much they cant accept a more simple yet fun game thats all if you cant accept my opinion thats ur problem im sorry if i expressed it the wrong way...btw just so u can lol me ever harder i dont own brawl, but i do own melee since it came out and consider myself good at it
As long as we're expressing opinions...I don't find Brawl "fun" or enjoyable...it's a slow game sugar-coated with good music, characters, stages, and SSE...my opinion: Brawl isn't fun...the simplicity of gameplay is boring to me...

But that's just my opinion...you're entitled to yours, and I'm entitled to mine...

L__

Smash Master
Lol, how bout this, I'll compare Melee to Smash 64, k?

In smash 64, there wasn't a huge amount of technical skill required(although there was alot, just not like, silent wolf/Shizwiz level of tech skill) however there was a huge amount of memorization. Because there is no DI, huge amounts of hit stun on all characters and zero lag aerials, most combo's will always work. Just watch any Isai vid, he's memorized the combos and set ups so well that alot of his matches have him doing the same thing over and over and over again(basically just one hit then a 0-Death combo) In that sense, smash 64 was a broken game, because defense was meaningless. There is no camping in Smash 64 simply because all out offense, when done correctly will lead to an instant kill. Comparatively Melee is a much more balanced game in terms of gameplay. Because there are very few instant death combos and because DI is available to the character being comboed, all out offense is no longer the only strategy. Camping becomes viable in Melee as do general Defensive playstyles. This isn't to say any one playstyle is better, however there are characters more fit to play one or the other. There are still perfect 0-Death combos in Melee, however most of them are only doable on Fox/Falco/Falcon. Also, Shielding actually becomes useful in Melee, where in Smash 64 putting your sheild up often just left you to have it broken. In terms of competitiveness, I would say Melee is the obvious better of the two, however in terms of balance, I'd actually give it to Smash 64, simply because while Pikachu may be amazing, the fact that any character can 0-Death any other character means that the game isn't that hugely unbalanced.

Edit: This would have been longer, but I decided to watch I Killed Mufasa instead.
Neither of your posts even make sense anymore. it started as "I'd rather be good at Melee", it went through a series of misread posts and ridiculous comparisons, and ended up at "Why not compare 64 to Melee?".

we compare Melee to Brawl for one main reason. Melee>64. in any kind of lineage of sequels and prequels, you always compare the best one to the new one that hasn't been fully figured out yet. we already know what 64 and Melee have in store, and many will say Melee>64, due to Melee improving on everything 64 had, and more. so out of the first 2, Melee is the best. but then brawl, this new thingy comes in, and says "I would like to try out for best smash game." would you compare it against 64? if someone was trying to be the fastest man alive, would you judge them by having them race the 2nd current fastest man? No.
I always say that to my friend about 64.
"Smash 64 is a broken piece of ****."
"But everybody's so broken, it's balanced."

EDIT: That's a good way of putting it, Grunt.
Though, I'm still curious as to why L thinks otherwise.

Sorry you guys, I was running on like no sleep when I was posting yesterday. I take back all things I said; correct or not.

Sorry. :\

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Diddy is more technical than most characters in Melee.

Can't say the same thing for most of Brawl's characters though.

Mario_PHD

Smash Rookie
I think Brawl is too noob-friendly, very slow paced compared to melee. I have played melee for years, and when i started trying Brawl, I was immediately dissapointed by how slow and sluggish the controls felt, especially in the air.

and whats with this randomly tripping and wiping out on the ground?

Not to mention none of the wave dashing that made Melee such a hit in MLG.

I guess Nintendo is really trying hard to stick to their auidence of "softcore kiddie" gamers...

Pi

Smash Hero
;|
How do you even get this far back into the section?
I switched
I attempted to enjoy brawl
But melee is better

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
I have played melee since its release but I have yet heard or seen anything that makes me want to drop 300 on a wii just to for brawl. it looks fun but it seems like you can only take it so far. Melee has been out for almost ten years and the game is still evolving.

Dr.westsoda

Smash Rookie
hjukasosk

:psycho:melee is better because you can do alot more than brawl. And your more floaty in brawl.I hate feeling like a balloon in brawl. less lag.

JuniorToons

Smash Apprentice
Brawl is fun and seems to have more content, but Melee is fast is really competitive. I'll still play Brawl of course but for some reason Melee seems a bit more fun to me.

Rudra

Smash Ace
I really loved Melee for the speed, and technicality it offered. I tried Brawl, and while it's a fun game from the casual standpoint, I couldnt bair bare it competitively. I just prefered the fast paced action of Melee and even 64 in comparison to Brawl's slower paced gameplay.

I do like some of the additions Brawl did offer however, which is why I play Brawl+ to at least play Brawl at a faster pace (with some nice balance inbetween), but Melee is still so much fun. =3

Corigames

Smash Hero
I bet this thread will go another 10 pages before someone else notices it was uber necroed >_> People need to stop doing that. Smashboards needs some sort of device that allows you to post without bumping a thread too.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I bet this thread will go another 10 pages before someone else notices it was uber necroed >_> People need to stop doing that. Smashboards needs some sort of device that allows you to post without bumping a thread too.
9 days isn't that bad in comparison to, say, a whole month.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I think the infamous chant that took place says it all. I won't repeat the chant but I think it speaks volumes. Especially since Brawlers that had never touched Melee joined in on the chant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom