• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl vs. Melee, will you switch over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I'll play whatever comes up in a tourney, but one thing that i miss about melee is it seemed more fun to play competitively even when you lost (unless it was to some arrogent peice of shi.....)

But i brawl it seems less satisfing and more annoying, special these MK/Pit/Falco I have had to play, cause ther people who think that own now, but I didn't see them at any melee tournies.

melee=/=brawl, just play what you like, mabey a great revival will happen.

SunDragon

Smash Rookie
At first I felt like I had to move over to Brawl because I didn't think that there would be anybody still playing Melee, but I guess that's not the case! I'm sticking with Melee for sure now that I know there are still people playing it.

Ace55

Smash Lord
His Brawl FC is on his post... >_>

That aside, I will never switch to Brawl. Never played, never plan to.
I play Melee to develop and polish skill... something that is nonexistant in Brawl.
Bullsh*t, you can say that there was a lot more skill required in competive Melee, or that the gap in skill between noob and pro is bigger (which it is) but there is no game that you cannot get skilled at, unless everything that happens is totally random. Even poker is a amazingly popular (and competetive) game, and that's based on random accurences (which you get to know and deal with). Compared to poker, luck is only a very small part of smashbros, the rest you could describe as skill and character matchup. You could argue that the luck and matchup portions of Brawl are more dominant than in Melee (and I would agree). In a match between Snake and Captain Falcon I agree that skill will often not decide the victor, but you could say the same thing about Melee. In Melee the skill gaps between noob, decent, good and pro (and many more in between) were so great that a pro Mewtwo could stand a good chance against pretty much anyone that was below his skill level, even if it was a really bad matchup. But even then a evenly skilled player who did use a top tier would pretty much demolish the Mewtwo (although he had some decent matchups against fastfallers if I'm not mistaken). Melee wasn't balanced, it just gave you more options to be better than the other guy. In Brawl it's way harder to compensate for bad matchups with skill, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible, it's just nearly impossible. Captain Falcon got 3rd in a big tourney lately (that guy must be f*cking amazing), you can't say there was no skill involved there.

And skill and techskill is totally different, just ask Silent Wolf.

For me the Melee vs Brawl thing is pretty clear now, Melee might be (much) better, but Brawl has Wario. I can't go back to a smashbros game that doesn't have Wario in it, I just can't. Not to mention playing Brawl for a prelonged period of time is killer for your Melee skills.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I played Brawl exclusively since it came out, but it lacked any character that was similar to Melee's Falcon. Nobody could be as fluid as he was in Melee. I just played Melee yesterday with my friends, and, despite being really rusty, we loved it. I jogged my muscle memory in training mode, and now I think I'm BETTER than I was when I last played Melee thanks to Brawl (don't know why). All in all, I think I'll play BOTH. Two different games that have some similarities. I mean, if people can play multiple iterations of Street Fighter competitively, why can't we play multiple iterations of Smash competitively (preferably ALL iterations)?

clockwerk

Smash Cadet
then why are you "never switching back" if you're still ok at it?
all right, maybe i won't totally switch to brawl, but i'm still much better at it than melee (i know, i'm a noob. but i never had a gamecube. i had played a little bit of melee before, and when i heard that a new SB was coming out, i got melee so i could be all that better in brawl)

i know most of you won't be convinced that brawl isn't bad by what i have said, but i just wanted to make everything clear.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
How dare someone revive the dark days when we were all blinded by Brawl's hype. I was one of those people, once upon a time, and I wish I could take those thoughts back.

Cinder

Smash Master
How dare someone revive the dark days when we were all blinded by Brawl's hype. I was one of those people, once upon a time, and I wish I could take those thoughts back.
As do I...but what's done is done...all we can do is move on and put it in the past...

I might host a tourney sometime soon (possibly...I need to find a good location)...so if you wanna attend a tourney hosted by a nobody in the Richmond (Virginia) area, PM me...typical rules and $5 entry...if enough people are interested, I'll go on ahead and host...

L__

Smash Master
I played Brawl exclusively since it came out, but it lacked any character that was similar to Melee's Falcon. Nobody could be as fluid as he was in Melee. I just played Melee yesterday with my friends, and, despite being really rusty, we loved it. I jogged my muscle memory in training mode, and now I think I'm BETTER than I was when I last played Melee thanks to Brawl (don't know why). All in all, I think I'll play BOTH. Two different games that have some similarities. I mean, if people can play multiple iterations of Street Fighter competitively, why can't we play multiple iterations of Smash competitively (preferably ALL iterations)?
I have this theory that, the longer you play Brawl, the more you appreciate the advanced techniques inside the Melee world. ...

Wasn't that obvious?

I do enjoy playing both, I enjoy Melee casually and competitively, I enjoy Brawl casually AND COMPETITIVELY, I just don't like the majority of the Brawl fanbase.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Why can't we all just do what me and several other people do? Play each game, there is no point i switching over, Melee and Brawl play too differently to really blot one out completely, so, I don't want Brawl to blot Melee out, ad IMO, they didn't try hard enough on making sure Brawl was fine tuned to play well for years, not that you cannot play it for years, it's just well.
When SSB4 comes out, unless the developers didn't acknowledge the people that play the game/recomend it, it should blow Brawl away.
Brawl is a great game, don't get me wrog, I have fun playing it, but Melee is also a Smash game, and is a great game.
Brawl isn't a build on Melee, it is a reimagined smash game(for better or worse), and it cannot put down the previous iterations of the franchise.

Cinder

Smash Master
Why play Brawl if you don't enjoy it? I would play Brawl if I actually enjoyed it, but I don't...only Melee can provide the thrill and rush I seek...that's why I made the full switch...

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Why play Brawl if you don't enjoy it? I would play Brawl if I actually enjoyed it, but I don't...only Melee can provide the thrill and rush I seek...that's why I made the full switch...
Sometimes, you have no choice.
Like when with friends who only want to play Brawl.
It's sad to think that nowadays, a lot of things are no longer good as they used to be. Such as Melee, rap music, gas prices, temperature, the US economy, etc..

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Why can't we all just do what me and several other people do? Play each game, there is no point i switching over, Melee and Brawl play too differently to really blot one out completely, so, I don't want Brawl to blot Melee out, ad IMO, they didn't try hard enough on making sure Brawl was fine tuned to play well for years, not that you cannot play it for years, it's just well.
When SSB4 comes out, unless the developers didn't acknowledge the people that play the game/recomend it, it should blow Brawl away.
Brawl is a great game, don't get me wrog, I have fun playing it, but Melee is also a Smash game, and is a great game.
Brawl isn't a build on Melee, it is a reimagined smash game(for better or worse), and it cannot put down the previous iterations of the franchise.
They don't care about making a game that plays well for years. If there is another SSB title, it will be just as bad as Brawl or worse because Sakurai does not condone his games becoming competitive games.

I been all the way to the four corners region and can't find anyone to play either alpha
I think I remember you posting in the Utah thread once. You're not looking hard enough if you can't find melee players in Utah :ohwell:. Our main tournament director is even starting to run Melee again at the Brawl monthlies so that's definitely worth checking out, assuming you're able to go to tournaments.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
"Why play Brawl if you don't enjoy it? I would play Brawl if I actually enjoyed it, but I don't...only Melee can provide the thrill and rush I seek...that's why I made the full switch..."

That's funny because I've been playing both melee and brawl with more melee recently and I keep finding myself going back to brawl even after getting wavedashing, l canceling, combos, etc down to a good consistency. (except for some of fox's advanced laser tricks)

I appreciate melee because of how advanced the gameplay can be. It's a DANGEROUS game to play. Meaning, as soon as you allow your self to be open, you lost a stock because of combos. Off stage play in melee is **** near suicidal. The difference between one who plays melee for fun and one who plays competitively is gigantic. In brawl, the game is designed so that it's OK to make mistakes. It's very easy to engage in off stage play without having to worry about suicide. Unfortunately, the difference between a n00b and a pro is not as big as in melee.

So why do I prefer brawl over melee? Simple, and it's probably not a good reason for any one in the melee community. I like brawl over melee because brawl feels much more polished than melee. Brawl has a better buffering system, it's generally easier to play, and while it's not complicated like melee it's good enough for me.

Cinder

Smash Master
It's sad to think that nowadays, a lot of things are no longer good as they used to be. Such as Melee, rap music, gas prices, temperature, the US economy, etc..
Oh trust me...I have a choice in this one...I have no friends that only play Brawl...in fact, my friends were one of the many factors in my switch back to Melee (with the main reason being the aforementioned lack of enjoyment from the game)...and it's a shame Melee will probably never retain its full glory, but we can at least try, right?

Wrath`

Smash Master
I heard playing melee repairs the o-zone layer......

L__

Smash Master
No. He's asking if you're going to solely play Melee competitively

And I might not play Brawl competitively due to the absurd fanbase that Brawl has.

clockwerk

Smash Cadet
Brawl isn't a build on Melee, it is a reimagined smash game and it cannot put down the previous iterations of the franchise.
It's a DANGEROUS game to play. Meaning, as soon as you allow your self to be open, you lost a stock because of combos. Off stage play in melee is **** near suicidal. The difference between one who plays melee for fun and one who plays competitively is gigantic. In brawl, the game is designed so that it's OK to make mistakes. It's very easy to engage in off stage play without having to worry about suicide.

I like brawl over melee because brawl feels much more polished than melee. Brawl has a better buffering system, it's generally easier to play, and while it's not complicated like melee it's good enough for me.
I do enjoy playing both, I enjoy Melee casually and competitively, I enjoy Brawl casually AND COMPETITIVELY
'nuff said

L__

Smash Master
Care to explain why? Don't give bull**** reasons either. Present a decent argument.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
I'm not sure exactly what you consider decent and bull ****, but I do like comparing things.

Boasting about being good at Brawl is like boasting about being good at this:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=UBHtXaoEhFM

When I already have the ability to do this (this would be Melee) :
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=2uZLbL0jBwA

That, to me, is like degrading yourself. Not showing your full potential, when you could.

That is why I think playing Brawl competitively is embarrasing, because it would be like degrading myself.

Killress

Smash Ace
Ok, as I see brawl right now, I don't think it's going to be fast paced crazy pwnage action like Melee. I will probably still play brawl, but not competitively. Is anyone else going to play competitive Melee but not Brawl? or am I just crazy?
I played brawl. After 3 months, I missed melee. So, I'm back to melee :)

Arigatex

Smash Rookie
oh well...there are fanboys on every good game guess melee isnt the exception
btw i like both games, but the fact that melee works on pure tech and brawl is more reaction oriented and focused on reading ur opponent i preffer the latter since i rather lose to a "noob" who can read me well and punish my mistakes than a guy who spent 6 years learning how to pull off glitches by pressing buttons in a mortar kombat-ish manner thats....not fun, perhaps competitive play is not about fun....anyways that my opinion

Grunt

Smash Master
oh well...there are fanboys on every good game guess melee isnt the exception
btw i like both games, but the fact that melee works on pure tech and brawl is more reaction oriented and focused on reading ur opponent i preffer the latter since i rather lose to a "noob" who can read me well and punish my mistakes than a guy who spent 6 years learning how to pull off glitches by pressing buttons in a mortar kombat-ish manner thats....not fun, perhaps competitive play is not about fun....anyways that my opinion
This right here is the epitome of noobishness.

L__

Smash Master
I'm not sure exactly what you consider decent and bull ****, but I do like comparing things.

Boasting about being good at Brawl is like boasting about being good at this:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=UBHtXaoEhFM

When I already have the ability to do this (this would be Melee) :
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=2uZLbL0jBwA

That, to me, is like degrading yourself. Not showing your full potential, when you could.

That is why I think playing Brawl competitively is embarrasing, because it would be like degrading myself.
That is the beginning of a bull**** argument. You're comparing Melee to Brawl; one of those games has been out for what 7 years? Brawl has been out a few months?

Although it is true that we aren't finding any matchbreaking ATs, Brawl is requiring an indepth knowledge of characters, movesets, and opponents.

Go fight Azen if you think there's no skill involved.

I would rather get ***** hard in Melee than pwn in Brawl
Care to explain why?

melee is too good to set aside for a crappy game like brawl
Define a good game. Everyone has their own ideas of what a good game is and isn't.

Melee isn't the better game for everyone.

btw i like both games, but the fact that melee works on pure tech
...so you're saying that only using mindgames isn't an option?

and brawl is more reaction oriented and focused on reading ur opponent i preffer the latter
...if only people realized that different games mean different playstyles....usually.

:lick:

i'd rather lose to a "noob" who can read me well and punish my mistakes than a guy who spent 6 years learning how to pull off glitches by pressing buttons in a mortar kombat-ish manner thats....not fun, perhaps competitive play is not about fun....anyways that my opinion

competition is only as fun as you decide to make it.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Care to explain why?
I got ***** today in a tourney and I don't mind.. lots of 2 and 3 stock losses, a few 1 stocks, and one 4-stock
I went in and I did not expect to win, I only went to have fun playing Melee and to meet new people..
It's a combination of liking Melee, a desire to improve, and a hate for Brawl

:B

L__

Smash Master
Tell me why you hate Brawl; because it seems like you're trying to avoid it.

And saying "I want to get better at Melee" is a ****ing ******** reason.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord

i apologize.

but usually; people have some balance between the two in melee.

there isn't too much technical dependency in brawl; meaning they have to rely on knowledge more.
You can't say that. "Technical dependency" and "indepth knowledge of characters, movesets, and opponents." are completely unrelated and indpendent from one another.

Melee also requires character knowledge and mindgames, AND technical skill.
This does not mean that Brawl requires it any MORE than Melee does.
If anything Melee requires more character knowledge because there are really only two dominating characters in Brawl right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom