• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Reskins: Custom Alt Colors (No burning needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Alright, I've installed the Homebrew Channel. I'd appreciate further guidance as to how I can hack the textures.

Also, am I going to need to buy and install a modchip?
Oh, no. No, no, no, no. You just need a little something called Backup Loader GAMMA, so that when you burn a Brawl ISO to a DVD-R, it can play the DVD-R'd Brawl.
A lot of the requirements you can find on Google, or alternatively a place called GBATemp -- http://www.gbatemp.net/ -- in the forums. They're especially handy for people new to this whole Wii texture hacking scene... same goes for the Wiird community -- http://wiird.l0nk.org/forum/

Hope this helps out some! :)

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Oh, no. No, no, no, no. You just need a little something called Backup Loader GAMMA, so that when you burn a Brawl ISO to a DVD-R, it can play the DVD-R'd Brawl.
A lot of the requirements you can find on Google, or alternatively a place called GBATemp -- http://www.gbatemp.net/ -- in the forums. They're especially handy for people new to this whole Wii texture hacking scene... same goes for the Wiird community -- http://wiird.l0nk.org/forum/

Hope this helps out some! :)
To clarify, installing the twilight princess hack is step one of installing the backup loader. ^^;

Not sure where exactly to get the loader, but i'd bet the gbatemp forums have it.

Pako1034

Smash Rookie
So, I inserted my Luigi costumes in the game and burned it, but when I try to play, everything freezes but sound. How can I fix it?

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
So, I inserted my Luigi costumes in the game and burned it, but when I try to play, everything freezes but sound. How can I fix it?
Which version of WiiScruber are you using? Anything different than 1.21 will very likely cause freezes.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Well, it was already stated that ASH was having problems (I'm assuming you're using ASH, yes?).
The thing with Luigi is that... a few of his textures are out of place, meaning not at the correct TEX0 places. And he also has mipmaps; I'm not sure if ASH can deal with mips yet.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I use 1.31, works fine. This is just so you know 1.31 work aswell.
I thought the same thing, until it crapped out on me about 4 or 5 discs in. Trust me, eventually you'll start noticing some... flaws... in its design. Sooner, or later.

1.21 pretty much has a sealed guarantee that it will work without problem (so long as you hexed correctly).

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice

Pako1034

Smash Rookie
I tried to edit Kirby, and when I clicked Step2, it asked me to individually select if I wanted to insert each texture. Why didn't this happen with Luigi?

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
I tried to edit Kirby, and when I clicked Step2, it asked me to individually select if I wanted to insert each texture. Why didn't this happen with Luigi?
Because something went wrong, of course :)
It must ask you what textures you want to insert. If it doesn't do that, then the new PAC won't work. Is your PATH.TXT edited correctly? Did you create/renamed/deleted any folder inside ASH? Did you save your TGA files correctly?

Coins

Smash Cadet
Luigi works fine for me when i use ASH.
No problems, captain falcon and bowser both have the same problem so you know.

Pako1034

Smash Rookie
Wait, Luigi's eye textures are palleted, aren't they? That explains it :ohwell:

E: No, they aren't. Luigi inexplicably works now even with the old ASH!

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
New 1.2 and 1.3 AND 1.4 versions for ASH!
http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_dale-color-a-tu-smash-bros_1157762

V1.2: Now you don't have to edit PATH.TXT anymore! I hope it will help people who had problems with this file and the famous latest slash.
I also fixed some things on the readme.

V1.3: Ike, Captain Falcon, Meta Knight, Bowser are fully compatible (no freezing). Maybe others aswell!

V1.4: Fixed a silly bug with path detection.

Wait, Luigi's eye textures are palleted, aren't they? That explains it :ohwell:
It doesn't matter. ASH will ignore them if they are palleted.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Alright, I'm stumped at the .pcs part of the process. I have the ISO and WiiScrubber set up (although not ver. 1.21, and yes, I know that I need that, but right now, I just want to extract files to edit so I can later insert them into 1.21 whenever and however I get it). What is .pcs and how do I compress my edited textures (keep in mind, I simply downloaded them from the link in the OP) into that file type (if that's what you do), and from there, do I load those into the .pac slot in WiiScrubber, or do you... ahh.. you see, I really don't know what I'm doing. I've acquired some knowledge, but have no experience in the field.

I'd really appreciate all the help I can get.

WISHLIST:
- WiiScrubber 1.21
- .pac/.pcs converter tool (no idea what it is, but I need to somehow edit the textures from the pac files), OR whatever other tool would be useful in this step - I'm guessing hex-editing would fill the blank? If so, I know nothing about it.
- Compatible GAMMA with 3.4 firmware

Once I have these, I'll be all set. I'm looking everywhere I can for information or downloads, but luck hasn't been on my side.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
With some luck I'll be able to release a small program that should allow for palette textures to be added with ASH. However I have run into one rather large problem with the whole process. I don't think it will really make a difference at the end, but it really is making me question what kind of method Nintendo used to make some of these files.

Also, WiiScrubber can be found at gbatemp.net. Pac and pcs conversion is done using ntcompress found in the Wii sdk. As for the last thing on your list...uh, ask around at the gbatemp forums, cause I really don't know.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
A .tpl file contains the exact same data as a .TEX0/.PLT0, just with a slightly different header. With palette textures it contains the data for two files, because of this, ASH has problems knowing what data is where. I'm just going to split it into two files so that it will be able to locate each file seperately.

I was trying to format the entire header to go with it, but it isn't really that important, so for now I'm just going to leave it out.

Fossilized Ursidae

Smash Apprentice
Okay...I need help.
I'm editing falco. I have all my .tga 's named and in order, but when creating the .pac, only the first texture (01Blaster001) is checked. Whether I include it, or skip it, the rest are being ignored. What could I be doing wrong?

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Okay...I need help.
I'm editing falco. I have all my .tga 's named and in order, but when creating the .pac, only the first texture (01Blaster001) is checked. Whether I include it, or skip it, the rest are being ignored. What could I be doing wrong?
You don't have to rename any TGA if you are using ASH. Read the readme file, don't follow any old instructions.

Fossilized Ursidae

Smash Apprentice
You don't have to rename any TGA if you are using ASH. Read the readme file, don't follow any old instructions.
The textures I edited weren't created by ASH, so some of them had the same name as each other(I had to rename them to put them in the same folder). Can I use these files, or can I only use files created by ASH.

Edit: Nevermind. I think I got it now. Thanks el_refugio.

Okay. I still have some work to do, but as a first texture, I'm really glad how it turned out.

Pileated Falco

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Thanks to the work of Pharrox, the 2.0 version of ASH is nearly finished.
It will allow to modify any kind of textures (yes, even +1 and +2).

I hope to release it next week.

Some examples (made with ASH 2.0, of course :)):

Steelia

Smash Champion
@el_refugio: If your program can seriously mess with +2 textures (textures I've been having the most trouble with), you will seriously be GODLY amongst the texture hackers.
Definitely looking forward to seeing how that goes. :D

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
@el_refugio: If your program can seriously mess with +2 textures (textures I've been having the most trouble with), you will seriously be GODLY amongst the texture hackers.
Definitely looking forward to seeing how that goes. :D

This will answer to your question :)
Yes. It will work with +2 textures. It still has some limitations that I'm trying to fix (multiple layers of transparency).
And it's also faster than old versions and easier to use!

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Is it possible so that you can cover one character's eye with something like an eye patch but have the other eye untouched at this time?

BigSharkZ

Smash Rookie
I'm a member of ELITESMASHHACKERS, so I don't need an amateur progrme like this, however, I don't actually like ELITESMASHHACKERS, so I'm hoping STACKSMASH will ask me to join.

Oracle

Smash Master
I want proof
Also lol page 69
Also: El refugio, is it possible to do more advanced stuff on DK, for example, making him into chunky kong?

havac

Smash Cadet
I don't have the means to make new textures files, but can anyone point me to where I might find some made for Marth already made to snap shots?

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Oh, it didnt? ****
No, Nintendo issued a cease and desist order to them and they were forced to shut down the night before releasing their patch. =<

I am VERY excited about ASH2.0. ^^
Is it possible to include it in a zip with all the other programs needed?
Thank yo so much for your hard work! <3

Oh, also, is there any place where people upload their edited characters? I'd really like to build up a whole bunch of them and put them all into one super-awesome brawl-disk.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
is there someone willing to teach me how to teach me the process of how to install the programs needed and how to use them properly? i have homebrew installed but that the farthest point i am at. thanks in advance =)

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
No, Nintendo issued a cease and desist order to them and they were forced to shut down the night before releasing their patch. =<

Oh, also, is there any place where people upload their edited characters? I'd really like to build up a whole bunch of them and put them all into one super-awesome brawl-disk.

The only place I know where people actually share their stuff would be http://kittycorp.proboards102.com/index.cgi?board=yourtexturehacks

Also really looking forward to ASH 2.0, that means I can finally finish my Crono texture.

Malumvolo

Smash Rookie
Ive been making my first textures with ASH 1.5.

So far, every texture I make is good, except I couldnt get it to make the texture for wolf's pants. Thus it freezes when I try to load wolf in the game. Hopefully the path detection will be fixed in the next release, which I am highly looking forward to.

cant wait for 2.0!

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
I'm a member of ELITESMASHHACKERS, so I don't need an amateur progrme like this, however, I don't actually like ELITESMASHHACKERS, so I'm hoping STACKSMASH will ask me to join.
Ok, congratulations. Continue laughing at 'amateur' people if you want. We will do more textures in less time than you.
ASH is a very helpful program even for 'professional' hackers. And if you want to use advanced hacking techniques for specific textures, you can too.
I want proof
Also lol page 69
Also: El refugio, is it possible to do more advanced stuff on DK, for example, making him into chunky kong?
Well... Main problem is that DK has a lot of fur. If you open it with a 3d model viewer and start making transparent the fur (it's not impossible, but you will spend a lot of time on it), then you will be able to even give him a t-shirt.
No, sorry. ntcompress and TexConv can't be included for legal reasons.
Ive been making my first textures with ASH 1.5.

So far, every texture I make is good, except I couldnt get it to make the texture for wolf's pants. Thus it freezes when I try to load wolf in the game. Hopefully the path detection will be fixed in the next release, which I am highly looking forward to.

cant wait for 2.0!
I don't know what caused that, but the path detection it's not related to it (and I thought that it was fixed). Where do you have ASH? Did you change the texture size? Did you create an indexed image? Did you use WiiScrubber 1.21 (1.31 corrupted my ISO when I added a lot of characters, then it froze in the character screen)? One way to know if your character is going to work without burning the disc is trying to extract the new pac wih ASH again.

maltes

Smash Cadet
ok, I have got a new question, I have read a lot about the hacking and I have seen that only +2 textures can have transparencies, but also I have seen that some ppl have taken off the peach's and zelda's skirt , but that textures are normal textures (without transparency information) so, can someone tellme how could I make that?, I was thinking, do I have to tell the normal texture use the +2 palete? or do I have to add a new palete? do I have to become the normal texture in a +2 texture?

thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom