• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Brawl, More Hyped Than Tekken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
Everyone that attended MLG Orlando: how to you feel about the hype Brawl received, compared to the hype Tekken received? Unless I was in my own little Brawl fantasy land, I think Brawl got more hype overall, and Tekken had more hype during finals (because it was on the largest screen).

Agree? Disagree?

The only reason I bring this up is because IMO, the amount of hype a game receives reflects to MLG whether people want to see more of that game. I think the excitement over Brawl this weekend left good impressions.

Conti

Smash Ace
Halo hype is only bigger cuz its on mainstage, its a shooter and like ovr a million ppl watch it on the stream....

But I can see brawl hype over tekken hype....

King~

Smash Champion
it was to the point, where i realized brawl really should have had that stage. like the only real hype came from the finals. where with us we had been cheering all day and the previous day, people where too tired to really cheer come finals.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
The Smash community is such a hyped one as is. Smashers just share such a brotherly love. Hype is gonna beat out most other games.

Allied

Smash Master
Brawl was hyped 10x harder than tekken in every other way

They had like 40 people watching tekken6 sceen only because it was in the brawl area

Also brawl was a tad more hyped than halo, Fact. Halo if anything was a tiny bit more hyped by what i saw because simply

ITS THE MAIN EVENT

and even then, it flopped

/thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm thinking about picking up Tekken 6 for fun. I enjoyed watching matches with the cooler looking characters.

I am simple.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Tekkens autocombos aren't as annoying as people think it is, however brawl is still better imo

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
180+ players for brawl

about 75 for Tekken.

Duuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrr
Lol, horrible argument. Brawl is the worst, yet most popular competitive fighter in the United States. There's a reason it gets no respect from other communities.

Edit: People, PM me if you disagree or whatever, instead of quoting me.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Lol, horrible argument. Brawl is the worst, yet most popular competitive fighter in the United States. There's a reason it gets no respect from other communities.
Worst in terms of liking is subjective. Smash has the bigger community, therefore more people subjectively think that smash is better. We got no respect from other communities when we were Melee, and it's hardly disputed that Melee is waaaaaay more skill based than not just Brawl, but 90% of fighters out there. Other communities say we are scrubby (smash in general), when it's 10 of them in the corner, and a hundred of us playing over here >_>

Masky

Smash Master
Brawl was DEFINITELY more hyped than Tekken, at least on Day 2. I kept thinking to myself "where is the Tekken tournament?" since they were so quiet

I'm thinking about picking up Tekken 6 for fun. I enjoyed watching matches with the cooler looking characters.

I am simple.
I actually found myself thinking the same thing :laugh:

Boofy!

Smash Champion

Almost as bad as your personal matchup to Ganondorf. :chuckle: jk.
Ganondorf is BROKEN have u seen that punch it kill at lyk 50% and the u-tilt sucks u into it and u cant get away then he smashes u with his foot also he can grab u with over-b and kill u omg so cheep

etecoon

Smash Hero
Worst in terms of liking is subjective. Smash has the bigger community, therefore more people subjectively think that smash is better.
not really, a lot of people that play brawl know that brawl isn't good.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Better than no combos, lol.

Edit: Btw, someone with your mindgames would be amazing at Tekken, because 3D fighters reward creative mixups significantly.
i dont think anyone says brawl has no combos anymore... at least the non-scrub population dosent say it.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
There are no true comboes in Brawl, just AD reading to get consecutive hits, which Brawlers call "combos".

BTW is this really necessary?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
That's called a pseudo combo and has existed long before Brawl.

Also, I hate Tekken. That no robot girl is the only design that half interest me.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's funny to watch, though--Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce. When are you gonna let him down?

It's like Tyrant said, it just looks like one big frame trap.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
edit: Jeez, didn't know I wrote that much, lmao.

I never meant for this to become an argument over which game is better. However, as someone who has played many competitive games, I do think that Brawl has a lot more depth than Tekken. The inherent structure of the game lends itself to more depth. In Tekken (and almost all other fighters) you plug in pre-programmed button inputs and your character performs a pre-programmed combo on your opponent. The game plays out EXACTLY as the developers intended. No matter who plugs in the inputs, the results will be the same, and they will look the same. In Smash, the person behind the controller plays that character in a way no one else does, because there are so many more levels of depth to the game. Tekken is limited by stage boundaries. You cannot deviate too far away from the ground you're standing on, be it vertically or horizontally, and all stages are basically the same. Brawl does not have the same limitation. Brawl has more legal stages than I can even think of and each of them changes the playing field dramatically. You can reach all corners of all stages in Brawl, even underneath them if you chose and you actually need experience on a stage in Brawl to win on it. In Tekken, the stage is eye-candy. In Brawl the stage is a weapon that you can manipulate to your advantage.

The most profound difference between Tekken and Brawl is each games goal. In Tekken, the goal is to widdle down more of your opponents health than he does to you. There is no other way to win! Brawl is on a whole other level of depth than Tekken for two reasons: #1. You can kill someone by knocking them off the stage, but if someone is knocked off the stage, any of the 35 characters they would be playing has their own unique recovery game. But, every character also has their own gimping game. #2. In Brawl you don't lose health, you gain damage, and with each percent of damage you receive the ways moves and techniques impact you changes. You would think that having low percentage is always better, but you are more susceptible to combos and chain-grabs, and at higher percentages you are more likely to be blasted off the stage.

All around Brawl has many more layers of depth than Tekken does. You can't deny that regardless of how you feel about either game.

Edited to avoid wave of nonsense

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Erm, Shaddy, Tekken has over 100 attacks per charecter.

Though, that's one of the many reasons I despise the game, there is simply no reason to have that many. Street Fighter does the same with a fraction as much. Its simply unneeded.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
Erm, Shaddy, Tekken has over 100 attacks per charecter.

Though, that's one of the many reasons I despise the game, there is simply no reason to have that many. Street Fighter does the same with a fraction as much. Its simply unneeded.

That may be true, but they are for the most part separated into three catagories: high, mid, low. I don't know very much about this particular fighting game, but just from watching it I can see it doesn't do anything different than the loads of other competitive fighters I've played.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
So apparently Tekken doesn't have special moves now.

edit: or throws
Um, I actually did include special moves in the list.

Throws, grabs... same thing. I didn't distinguish between throws and grabs when listing Brawl's options either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom