• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Brawl, More Hyped Than Tekken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Um, considering that this thread (that I didn't make) is basically "Tekken (a traditional fighter) vs Brawl", yes, i'm comparing a traditional fighter to Brawl.

I don't even neccessarily disagree with most of your post, however you're jumping into topics that I have not touched on. My original post in this thread was in response to someone saying, "lol, Tekken sucks". To which I replied, "No, Tekken has superior competitive mechanics, alongside multiple other fighting games". Opinion of course, but it's the gist of my standpoint and I never claimed otherwise. I'm talking game mechanics only, which is technically offtopic, since I initially responded to an offtopic post.

So, if that guy can say, "lol Tekken sucks", i'm going to say "lol Brawl sucks", and be done with the thread.
That isn't the main problem I'm having, it's calling the mechanics competitive is where I'm having an issue.

A more competitive game is going to have more people playing it, even if it's mechanics may favor something that people think is competitive that doesn't matter.

What matters is the outcome of winning these kinds of competition and how many people are playing the game to win it. That is what makes it more competitive.

If a road kill cooking contest had 1000 people competing and 50 people were competing in a race, the road kill cooking contest would be more competitive despite the odd behavior of cooking road kill.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
That isn't the main problem I'm having, it's calling the mechanics competitive is where I'm having an issue.

A more competitive game is going to have more people playing it, even if it's mechanics may favor something that people think is competitive that doesn't matter.

What matters is the outcome of winning these kinds of competition and how many people are playing the game to win it. That is what makes it more competitive.

If a road kill cooking contest had 1000 people competing and 50 people were competing in a race, the road kill cooking contest would be more competitive despite the odd behavior of cooking road kill.
Like I said, my stance is 100% opinion. I'm of the opinion that Tekken is a more balanced game, that better rewards speed and accuracy, and presents the player with more viable options in general, than Brawl. Thus, I view it as a superior, yet less popular fighter. I don't particularly care about the size of a player base or why they play what they play. Brawl has game mechanics that make me facepalm, but there are still some reedeeming qualities. Oh well.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Guys, this thread wasn't supposed to be an in depth comparison of the two games.

It was a discussion of Brawl having more hype than Tekken at MLG Orlando and the possible implications it'll have as Brawl hopefully moves forwards in MLG's lineup. Sheesh.

Bug Style

Smash Rookie

Not to completely jump in out of nowhere but Turbo Ether was saying the mechanics of the game itself were more competitive than brawl which I believe to be true. Sakurai himself stated that the game was not meant to be a competitive fighter but more of a party game (just look at all those items we DON'T use...) now what you're saying is something that is indeed relative but is NOT the same thing as Ether was saying... see what YOU just stated was how the game itself had a more competitive community than Tekken... By all intents and purposes that's true, but remember that Ether was talking specifically about the mechanics of the game itself. Just saying so that we avoid another set of long brick wall texts

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Not to completely jump in out of nowhere but Turbo Ether was saying the mechanics of the game itself were more competitive than brawl which I believe to be true. Sakurai himself stated that the game was not meant to be a competitive fighter but more of a party game (just look at all those items we DON'T use...) now what you're saying is something that is indeed relative but is NOT the same thing as Ether was saying... see what YOU just stated was how the game itself had a more competitive community than Tekken... By all intents and purposes that's true, but remember that Ether was talking specifically about the mechanics of the game itself. Just saying so that we avoid another set of long brick wall texts
I agree that the mechanics of the game do matter in helping the game become more competitive, but this means nothing if the game can't get a crowd going. Whatever reason, Nintendo name, characters, etc. Brawl can keep a large competitive scene going that's larger than games that have SF, GG, BB, etc. kinds of combo and technique practice going.

So I guess neither me or Turbo are wrong in our own respects.

Also if I remember the interview correctly, Sakurai only mentioned that he didn't want a competitive ladder added to put down some players.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
cant we all just get a long. brawl did great at mlg and so did tekken. both fighters are different. you cant compare them. lets just all be happy they are both on the circuit instead of other games.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I personally think that both Brawl and Tekken are amazing in their own rights and it's like comparing apples and oranges. They have different qualities, and while both fruits, people will pick their favorite. You cannot define a "better" or even a "more competative" without clear criteria for what makes a game better, or more competative.

I personally think Brawl is the best game of all fighters out there hands down because Sub-Space Emissary ***** THE BALLS off of every other fighter's single player, although Soul Caliber 2 gives it a run for it's money (that was seriously enticing IMO)

I agree that Smash's options are limited, but that is made up for with superior movement options, since we can exist in the air, and control our direction while airborn, making Smash less footsies, and more spacing oriented.
Once you land a hit, unless the opponent's name is Metaknight, you are generally in advantage, and can land follow-up hits fairly well by covering the right options and making the right reads, which I feel is far better to watch than a combo in any fighter, simply because at the end of the damage string, you realize it was a mental victory over the opponent as opposed to a technical one.
I can appreciate that traditional fighters have their poking and zoning games which incorporates the mental battle, and then the combos, which incorporates the technical aspect, bringing in the best of both worlds, as supposed to catering mostly to the reading parts of the game; however it would clearly be a mistake to say that the game of Smash doesn't utilize technical techniques.
Breversing is still not used correctly in most matches today, and it utilizes the oh, so loved half and quarter circle inputs. Pivoting Dtilts and Jabs are FREQUENTLY the best option in the game, but many people don't do this because of the technical requirments (not that it's especially technical, but it's not bad.) Then, there are just characters who have technical inputs.
Also, due to the hitbox design system in this game, many moves have sweetspots and sourspots, requiring spacing and timing to play a MAJOR factor in offense.
I would say that considering the number of mistakes people make, Brawl is pretty technical. One could argue that the (IMO flawed) buffering system which is designed to make the game easier in actuality can hinder a player because it can cause an incorrect action which can often be more harmful than simply doing nothing. For example, a shield drop dtilt while under shield pressure might accidentally come out as a spot dodge.
I also dislike automatic powershielding, especially as a Marth player.
Still, I think Brawl does suitably reward aggression for the aggressive characters, except against MK, and I think MK is pretty broken.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I personally think Brawl is the best game of all fighters out there hands down because Sub-Space Emissary ***** THE BALLS off of every other fighter's single player, although Soul Caliber 2 gives it a run for it's money (that was seriously enticing IMO)
I'm sorry, but I can't help laughing at this statement. Say what you want about Tekken, Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, or whatever, but are you seriously saying that Brawl, Brawl, is the best fighter out there because of its single player mode? Not only was the Subpar Emissary a gigantic waste of development resources, but it made absolutely no sense whatsoever, it was riding on the Rule of Cool to the point that it gets stupid. It may be good compared to the single player mode in other fighters, but it's still a piece of crap when you compare it to other games.

Besides, doesn't just about everyone typically play online when they want single player? Instead of working on that thing, they could've worked on the online portion of the game which has much more replay value and doubles as a single player mode.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'm sorry, but I can't help laughing at this statement. Say what you want about Tekken, Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, or whatever, but are you seriously saying that Brawl, Brawl, is the best fighter out there because of its single player mode? Not only was the Subpar Emissary a gigantic waste of development resources, but it made absolutely no sense whatsoever, it was riding on the Rule of Cool to the point that it gets stupid. It may be good compared to the single player mode in other fighters, but it's still a piece of crap when you compare it to other games.

Besides, doesn't just about everyone typically play online when they want single player? Instead of working on that thing, they could've worked on the online portion of the game which has much more replay value and doubles as a single player mode.
If you ever encounter a person trying to claim a fighter is better than others because of it's single player value, you're being trolled.

In actuality, I think Melee was the greatest fighting game of all time.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Yup, Pierce, sadly most Brawl players do ignore the more technical options in Brawl. It's important to solidify your fundamentals, but it's kinda ridiculous to which extent execution is ignored. Next time I enter something, you'll probably get to see some of the thoughtful stuff that i've adapted to my playstyle.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Lol @ Tekken v Brawl.

Gtfo scrubs brawl da bess.

The guy who won Tekken look like a killer.

And Brawl da bess.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If you ever encounter a person trying to claim a fighter is better than others because of it's single player value, you're being trolled.

Okay then. You just came off serious so I couldn't help but laugh at it.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ

Basically, Pierce is a pretty cool guy.

I could quibble that I think GG:XXAC is better, but at the levels of those games, it's not a huge deal. Besides, it would take away from the point: Brawl and Tekken both have their positives. Sure they both have their negatives to, but dwelling on those without acknowledging the positives is folly.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
That actually has nothing to do with why people powershield by accident.

Powershielding in brawl occurs if the shield is raised within 3 frames of an attack hitting it. Notice I used the phrase "shield is raised," as opposed to "shield button is pressed." This is a very big difference between brawl and melee powershields.

What this means is that if you're holding shield and your shield happens to come up 3 frames before an attack hits you, you will powershield it. It doesn't matter if you were holding the shield button for a full 2 seconds before the attack happened, all that matters is that the shield pops up right before you get hit. That is where accidental powershields come from.

In addition, the entire shield is capable of powershielding (hitting ANYWHERE on the shield can trigger it), while in melee only a small portion of the shield acts as this trigger (it's a little bubble within the shield bubble itself, it doesn't even cover the entire character)

The more you know.
****, i knew i'd get it wrong somehow, hah. thanks for the clarification

Bug Style

Smash Rookie
I agree with Pierce (not to pole jock) but he makes a legit point that is like scientific law; there's no way to disprove it as it stands. It's like comparing two different fruits. Everyone has their specific tastes and that just contributes to the rhetorical arguement about which game is better. Now if you're trying to compare one specific area of the game like for example, let's say we're comparing what the games were BUILT for. I can argue with a valid point that Tekken was made specifically to be taken seriously at tournaments hands down, that's the game's purpose; as for Brawl, it's already been proven that the creation of Brawl had very little intent on being taken seriously at MLG. Sakurai said that he wanted it to be a family fun game, and a party game amongst close friends (explaining the horrible wi-fi capabilities). Case in point, let's end it here by saying everyone has their favorite flavor because either way this thread would unnecessarily continue for EONS

T-Cash

Smash Apprentice
i play tekken more bound combos and seeing how much damage you can deal in one combo nothing like brawl plus brawl has more hipe because melee used to be on circuit everyone knows about super smash bros

T-Cash

Smash Apprentice
i play tekken more making one combo do as much damage as possible brawl is more known because of how many people used to play melee tekken a good game idk i think there both good

Ulevo

Smash Master
I would agree with Pierce as well. There's a lot of appeal to Guilty Gear, and even it's "successor" BlazBlue is great, so I feel the tie between Melee and the Daisuke series is a very tight nit one.

But it's very hard to beat a fighting engine like Melee's.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
So I looked at a link on the first page from the mlg boards and found this in the op.

"We are witnessing the start of something unbelievable. The metagame
has changed so much over the passed years, and now that Brawl has hit
the circuit it's only going to get better. So for all you diehard
melee players out there, give Brawl a chance. You won't be
disappointed."

Now regardless of your stance on Melee vs Brawl or whatever the hell, I think we can all agree that those last two sentences are exploding with stupidity right?

God I love people.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So I looked at a link on the first page from the mlg boards and found this in the op.

"We are witnessing the start of something unbelievable. The metagame
has changed so much over the passed years, and now that Brawl has hit
the circuit it's only going to get better. So for all you diehard
melee players out there, give Brawl a chance. You won't be
disappointed."

Now regardless of your stance on Melee vs Brawl or whatever the hell, I think we can all agree that those last two sentences are exploding with stupidity right?

God I love people.
More like it's pretty truthful that Melee players hate Brawl for out of date reasons.

PottyJokes

Smash Apprentice
its pretty hilarious how back in the day all melee players were so butthurt the fighting community doesn't recognize them as a figthing game (and they still don't) yet the melee community(mostly no name scrubs that reads too much gimpy fish posts) bash brawl as if they're somehow better.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Somehow this has turned into brawl vs melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom