• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
My friend gets HELLA MAD lately when we play. He recently got a lot better, but then I got used to his new style and beat him with random now, hence why he rages. But I am trying to still play with him and have fun, what do I do!?!?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Well, You could not insult his skill level by picking random on him. No-one likes feeling like they're not being taken seriously...even if theyre THAT bad.
Just play a little less good, He'll catch up and soon you'll be able to play for real!

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I don't think you can cancel a dash attack with an item toss. If you input a dash attack while holding an item, don't you do a running item toss?

newbie1

Smash Rookie
you mean DACIT?
Everyone can DACIT, but I assume you want to know about who actually slides?
In this case:
Ike, Marth, Mario, Luigi, Diddy, Yoshi, Link, Zelda, Tlink, Falcon, MK, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Ivy, Lucas, G&W, Snake.
for indepth info: http://www.smashboards.com/threads/212159/
Wow, thanks. That was exactly what I was looking for. Yeah, I didn't know the name of the AT. xD

Again appreciate the help. ;)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I don't think you can cancel a dash attack with an item toss. If you input a dash attack while holding an item, don't you do a running item toss?
If you perform a DACUS input while holding an item, You'll slide and throw it. Go try it out with Ike or Link. they seem to be the easiest to do it with.

Wow, thanks. That was exactly what I was looking for. Yeah, I didn't know the name of the AT. xD

Again appreciate the help. ;)
You're welcome :)

TreK

Is "that guy"
I was watching a couple matches, and I noticed that some top players seem to DI down on purpose at low % to get out of combos. Is there any thread where this is discussed ? I'd like to see what this is all about.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I don't think there's a thread for it...there's not much to talk about really.
It just helps you reduce damage.

eg MKs usually get low % rising (ie jumping) uair strings into another move (usually nair, maybe fair/bair/dair). You'll usually see 3-4 uairs and then a nair. DIing down puts you below him so he can no longer uair you (since he's rising), so he has to finish the combo early with a dair and he can't even get the nair anymore.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
My friend gets HELLA MAD lately when we play. He recently got a lot better, but then I got used to his new style and beat him with random now, hence why he rages. But I am trying to still play with him and have fun, what do I do!?!?
Use a secondary that you're legitimately trying to improve with.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Can someone tell me some useful Sonc mindgames?
You would be better off asking in the sonic social thread, But when it comes to sonic: Canceling Side-b into shield when you're charging it, Cancel Down-b into shield after landing on the ground. after that, just use your imagination

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Lol, I remember seeing that happen at the tournament itself.

I have no idea. It looks akin to platform cancelling though

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I was at a tournament last Sat and I've noticed, if I go against a lesser skilled player, I tend to go close to even against them unless I've warmed up with a good player before hand, then I'll often dominate. This is a problem though, because you don't always have time to have friendlies right before a tournament, so if my first round is against a scrub, I beat them and go against a good player in the next round, I'm likely to do bad and lose-even if we normally go even.

Tltr: I do bad against bad players. :urg:
How can I make sure I don't 'adjust' to the lower skill level? Does any of this make sense?

Maestro_

Court Composer
NNID
Maestro227
3DS FC
3411-1820-5923
Hey I need a new controller but I can't find Nintendo brand in stores anymore, and all the ones I've found online are like 50 bucks. Is there another way to get the quality controller without spending so much?

BlazeTron

Smash Rookie
Don't Know the exact name for it... But how do you fsmash with metaknight as you run and then reverse while he does the glide?
Not sure if thats clear but when you run and then press the opposite direction mk fsmashes while gliding a bit.
Couldn't really find it on line thought i'd post here tnx.:urg:

/Posted on MK boards instead oops :estatic:

Deisel

Smash Rookie
Hi, i'm new here so i don't know if this is where i would post this, but i have a question. I plan on maining pikachu. I would like to get a secondary also. (thinking about wario...this site tells me MK or snake, but i dun liek them. i might try snake, i don't know yet.) While i'm practicing my ATs with Pikachu. should i break, and work on my secondary? or should i just continue until i master my Pikachu, THEN work on a secondary? please some feedback would be nice!

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Well first of all, the MUs Pikachu has the most trouble in are (in no particular order) Diddy, Olimar, ICs, Lucario and possibly G&W. These are the MUs that you should want your secondary to cover.
Snake loses to Olimar as well so that's not exactly a good choice for your secondary.

Good choices would be MK, ICs, Wario, maybe Marth...maybe Toon link? idk, your best bet is one of the first 3 though, MK/ICs/Wario.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Pikachu is, however, a character with a very high learning curvature. If you want to use it at its full potential, you might need to invest a lot of time on him.
I'd suggest to stick to Pikachu, and pick other characters you feel confortable with once in a while so you eventually can find a good secondary for you.

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
Well first of all, the MUs Pikachu has the most trouble in are (in no particular order) Diddy, Olimar, ICs, Lucario and possibly G&W. These are the MUs that you should want your secondary to cover.
Snake loses to Olimar as well so that's not exactly a good choice for your secondary.

Good choices would be MK, ICs, Wario, maybe Marth...maybe Toon link? idk, your best bet is one of the first 3 though, MK/ICs/Wario.
Snake vs olimar is -1(55-45 olimars favor imo)
he beats every other character pikachu has trouble with. It's a good duo, I was considering using it but dropped it because I can't really play any other character.

Tesh

Smash Hero
unless you use MK, you will have to deal with a disadvantaged situation at some point. Snake is a fine choice for a secondary. Covering a matchup doesn't mean you have to have a character in your pocket that hard counters or even wins the matchup. If pikachu is hopeless against ICs and Oli (sometimes it really looks this way tbh), Snake will definitely give you a "fair" shot, even if you have to work a little bit harder than Olimar to make it work.

Snake, Wario and Marth don't require as much upkeep/practice as MK, ICs and Toon Link though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hey I need a new controller but I can't find Nintendo brand in stores anymore, and all the ones I've found online are like 50 bucks. Is there another way to get the quality controller without spending so much?
If you have Facebook and youre looking for a Gamecube controller, youre going to want to send this guy a message.
https://www.facebook.com/thetantalus?fref=ts
And tell him KIDGoggles sent you.

@Nikes
what you want to do is play against some really bad people from time to time and just stomp their faces in mercilessly, that will get you desensitized to running through lesser people in bracket so you dont get complacent.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Could anyone explain to me (in depth please) how projectiles deflecting off of shields functions?

I know I've asked before, but I'm hoping maybe someone knowledgeable can help me out here. Is it random?

Tarzan le Gitan

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, i'm having some trouble here.
I'm looking for a tournament setup (for both Melee and Brawl) that can make a 1v1 tournament for ~20 players on 2 TVs in no more than 4 hours. Do you have something like that? Please :)

Tesh

Smash Hero
That is tough. top 3 in Brawl can take 2 hours all by itself.

Any or all of these options will help:
-Single Elimination<---this sucks
-2 Stock matches 2 w/ 5-6 minute timer
-Bo1 Sets <---this sucks
-Bo3 Grand Finals, do not increase to Bo5, this adds potentially 4 more games, which can go up to 30 minutes longer just for GF

You really are gonna want at least another setup. 4 hours is super tough and probably won't work unless all sets are pretty one-sided.

Tarzan le Gitan

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I'm gonna try something else... How many TVs do I need for a ~20 player Double Elimination Tournament in no more than 4 hours, given that our matches rarely take more than 5min? Again, please

EDIT : I did the math, 3 TVs are gonna be ok

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
How do you go behind Falco when he jabs, and how do you get out of snake's Nair? I did both before, but I don't know how I did it.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
How do you go behind Falco when he jabs, and how do you get out of snake's Nair? I did both before, but I don't know how I did it.
That's called 'SDI' and its simple enough in concept, but in practise its more difficult. To see it in action, search for 'Mr. Doom's DI sucks' on youtube

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
(JSUL=Jump start up lag JSUF=Jump start up frames) I have a question about buffering an Uair. Is it just me, or is buffering an Uair during the startup frames of a jump impossible? When I buffer Bair, Fair, or Dair with the C-stick during the startup lag of a jump, the aerial starts on frame 1 after the JSUL like a normal buffered move should. However, when I tap the C-stick up during the JSUF it cancels the JSUL animation and does an Usmash.
Why does this always happen? As a :pikachu2:player I benefit A LOT from rising Uairs (due to the fact that they can be followed up by a footstool to QAL for a 0-death combo) and I always hold up on the control stick to buffer a jump and use the A button while I'm still holding up to do the Uair. It's really annoying and I always end up Usmash when I try to do a rising Uair. Does Usmash have some kind of priority that I don't know about? I know it cancels dash and dash attack (DACUS) so I wouldn't be surprised if it has some sort of priority that I don't know about.

SDI. http://www.smashboards.com/threads/...-breaking-momentum-cancelling-and-sdi.315154/.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
You have to buffer it without the c-stick.
Slightly tilt the control stick, jump with a button, and input the uair with A.
At least, that's the only way I know how to do it.

The only weird thing about dash-attack is that it can be buffered by inputting a run with left or right, and hitting c-down at the same time.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You cannot buffer an up air using the Cstick because of jumpcancel. During your jumpsquat inputting the cstick upwards causes you to jumpcancel into usmash. This exists because it would otherwise make it damn hard to usmash with tapjump on.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Thanks NickRiddle #TeamFlorida

You cannot buffer an up air using the Cstick because of jumpcancel. During your jumpsquat inputting the cstick upwards causes you to jumpcancel into usmash.
Jump cancel? I'm guessing it means canceling the jumpsquat animation with an Usmash.
This exists because it would otherwise make it damn hard to usmash with tapjump on
Then that's just stupid. Another thing to show you that Sakurai was trying his hardest to make the game less competitive by limiting options. He's failed three times; we always find tech and things to make the game competitive, but why doesn't he get that we don't like to play it like a party game? And to continue this tangent more lol: I personally think that's why Smash sticks out from the other fighting games. It wasn't developed with competitive play in mind and somehow Melee ended up being the most technical fighting game in existence lol. If they purposefully tried to make the game competitive like MK9 or something, it probably wouldn't be "Smash" to me. #Tangents #ADD

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What the hell did I just read? Whining about jumpcanceling? A thing that makes so many things possible...

Top Bottom