• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

C.J.

Smash Master
What's the advantage in studying and knowing frame data?

I just want to know this before I get into it.

:phone:
It doesn't do much unless you also know how to account for range, the arc of moves, etc.

However, fully understanding frame data and the above allows you to figure out your optimal punish for every move at every spacing. On the other side, if allows you to manage your risk/reward a lot better when you commit to an action because you'll know the opponent's best punish for each of your options at every spacing.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
If one exists, can someone link me to a thread that displays the mechanics of each characters spot dodge? More specifically, a thread that perhaps displays the entire cast in order of best/fastest spot dodge to worst/laggiest spot dodge in a tier list type fashion? Would be much obliged.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Question: how come when I use a "Jab Lock" type style move (certain Jabs, Lucas D-Tilt, ICs Ice Blocks, etc.) on an opponent that's lying on the ground, the opponent sometimes does a forced stand-up animation while other times they can control whether they roll, do a get-up attack or simply stand up?

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Hm, that clears things up and explains why I don't get an F-Smash all the time lol

Is the timing to force your opponent to do a forced stand up animation the same for every move that can Jab Lock? Or does it vary for each move? :p

Tony_

Smash Ace
I've been thinking of playing online competitively on account of me being the only local player.

The last time I played Brawl competitively was 2008, a few scant months after the game out. I think I quit in summer of 08, so I have missed out a lot game play wise.

Is the game still active online and if so is there a chat/thread I could post in for wifi?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You cannot use the words online and competitive together.
However there are still quite a lot of people hanging around AllisBrawl chats. You should go look there.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
Could someone please link me the thread about the frame data of each character? I can't find it to save my life -.- you would think typing in "frame data" in the search would do something but nooo.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So.... apparently we're going to be able to like posts, follow people, get notifications over replies and other bunch of stuff.....

This is going to be quite interesting....

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Are all the characters able to change the direction they jump in while their in the air? I know MK and DDD can do it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
As far as frame data, DDD has one of the worst spotdodges in the game. Are there any attacks that reach into the 3rd axis and exploit his large (but hidden) invulnerability?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Charizard's N-Air is one (the tail sweetspot). I don't know of many, but a list would be really cool to have.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
@Tesh
idk if you saw the metagame minute on DDD's spotdodge, but it showed that DDD's back foot is a bit exposed (ie less far into the z-axis than the rest of his body), so there probably are a lot of attacks.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Something weird happened to me last night in training mode... I (lol) dropped my controller after running my finger across the dpad, and Pit did his Game Spawn (whole thing) animation and the game crashed.

Has anyone ever heard of this? lol

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Somebody please explain how the priority on tornado works. It's so confusing :(
I really don't understand how it works. I figured it had projectile priority because I know each hit does 1%, and it still clashes with ZSS' fresh bair (which does a minimum of 12%) so it shouldn't be clashing with that unless it has projectile priority.

But then some non-transcendent moves like DK ftilt and utilt, and ZSS sideB hit him right through it even though none of those are transcendent. I suppose it's possible that all the times I've seen DK ftilt/utilt MK out of nado, he was just hitting between the hitboxes (ie the tilt hitboxes not touching the nado hitboxes, so only MK's hurtbox is hit) but I know there's no way that's the case with ZSS' sideB. I've definitely used it from angles where it was in contact with nado's hitboxes and it still knocked MK out of nado.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
AFAIK it isn't transcendent. It is just (almost) completely disjointed, and because it is an article move, it just clanks everything out (and because it's a multi-hit move, MK usually instantly eats you). It takes something with a longer disjoint to beat.

Some moves go "through" tornado because the character's hitbox comes into contact with Meta Knight's hurtboxes before the opposite happens. This is true of many semi-disjointed moves like ZSS' uair, and the tilts you mentioned. For example, Ike can go through nado with almost every attack.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Ike goes through nado cause all his aerials are transcendent -_- (article moves don't clash with moves that are transcendent, nothing clashes with moves that are transcendent)
I've never seen ZSS uair go through nado except from above (where his hurtbox is exposed)

I suppose it's possible that sideB just hits him between the nado hits but it seems to happen really really consistently...ie like 99% of the time...and for a move that generates a new hitbox every 4-6 frames this surprises me.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Well, side-b is active on the first frame there's a hitbox. How long are nado's hitboxes out, 1 frame? So that's a 4-6 frame window between each hitbox for side-b to work.

Also, an article can clank with anything, I think. Like, if you zss nair an ike fsmash I'm 99% sure it clanks. I guess I could be wrong but that was my (nebulous) understanding of it

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
V115, it's because bair is an aerial.
Aerials are bad vs. Nado because they're aerials... That's the stupid reason.

SFP, ZSS's nair cannot clank with Ike's sword because his sword only interacts with hurtboxes. That's what trans. priority means.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Article moves clank with anything with the exception of moves that are transcendent.
Nick, I don't understand how that works, but...okay :(

Wait so why do tilts work?

newbie1

Smash Rookie
Can someone give me the list of characters who can do the dacus item throw. I know that every character can do it but which is deemed viable. So far I know link, ike, ivy and wolf can do it. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom