• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Durring wifi friendlies how are the stages selected? Like if I pick fd and my friend picks bf what determines which stage gets picked?
Thanks =]

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Either coordinate your actions via aim, phone, skype, msn, IRC, or AiB chat, or just both of you choose whatever you want and the game will decide the stage randomly between you two.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
When I play against the computer, I finish and get an amount of stars underneath my name. Why are those stars there and what do they mean?

Also, do you guys know how to make it so that the text I write is hidden? By hidden I mean that you have to click a tab in order to read it.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Those stars are the amount of KO's you've gotten under your name.

To get the "tab thingy", you're probably referring to collapse tags. They are:
[collapse="Your Title"]Your Text. [/collapse*] without the asterisk.
Exp:
[collapse="Your Title"]Your Text. [/collapse]

NNID
Budget_Player
What are good ways to get better at brawl without being able to play against anyone else? Wifi is okay but it will always lag because everyone I play with is in the states and I am in germany (gogo NTSC brawl hacks vs. PAL brawl hacks >.<)... What can I practice alone?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I find that not playing the game makes you better, no joke but that's usually when you play for a while and notice that your not improving.

I like to go into training mode and muck around in there just playing around and usually I'll find something interesting which I go and test some more on different stages and different characters, and then after all that I play some CPU's to see if this "interesting" thing I find is actually useful in battle.

Also you should find some Germans to wifi with.

DaomarIsBear

Smash Journeyman
Lol, sorry, I'm terribly informed of European politics. Shouldn't of opened my mouth in the first place.

Also, read up a little on the Pirate Party. They're pretty awesome.

EDIT: Holy crap, the US has one too!

fatalsolid01

Smash Cadet
Ive heard its possible to stage tech falco's chaingrab spike with Quarter circle DI or something?
Can someone explain how to do this as i hate getting chaingrab spiked.

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
What do I do after I predict the opponent? I keep losing to a lot of noob players lately, I know what they're going to do, but I have no idea how to counter it.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
We can't tell you that. It's up to you to figure out the best option for each situation.

Since you apparently main Ike, it's usually jab or Fsmash. :V

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
What do I do after I predict the opponent? I keep losing to a lot of noob players lately, I know what they're going to do, but I have no idea how to counter it.
What's helpful is to work out situations like this before you get into a match. You basically want to theorycraft and then practice applying it after you've got it figured out.

It's a pretty simple process. For example:

1.) Pose a question. "What should I do if someone jump's towards me while I'm standing?"

2.) Consider some options. "Jab, ftilt, and DB all have hitboxes that can hit an aerial opponent."

3.) Weight which of these is most fit for the situation. "Jab is fast, largely disjointed, not much cooldown. Ftilt is a bit slower, but delivers more knockback and damage, it's also more punishable. DB's vertical range isn't as good as the other two but has good knockback/damage and refreshes your other moves. Jab is probably the safest bet in most scenarios."

While I personally think Jab is Marth's Anti-air tool from the ground, I also understand that depending on the situation, my other options might be better (i.e ftilt if they are out of jab range). So don't limit yourself to one option.

After you've decided on how you want to deal with a situation, focus on that aspect for a few matches until you can integrate it into your game without thinking too much.

That's basically how I do it.

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
What's helpful is to work out situations like this before you get into a match. You basically want to theorycraft and then practice applying it after you've got it figured out.

It's a pretty simple process. For example:

1.) Pose a question. "What should I do if someone jump's towards me while I'm standing?"

2.) Consider some options. "Jab, ftilt, and DB all have hitboxes that can hit an aerial opponent."

3.) Weight which of these is most fit for the situation. "Jab is fast, largely disjointed, not much cooldown. Ftilt is a bit slower, but delivers more knockback and damage, it's also more punishable. DB's vertical range isn't as good as the other two but has good knockback/damage and refreshes your other moves. Jab is probably the safest bet in most scenarios."

While I personally think Jab is Marth's Anti-air tool from the ground, I also understand that depending on the situation, my other options might be better (i.e ftilt if they are out of jab range). So don't limit yourself to one option.

After you've decided on how you want to deal with a situation, focus on that aspect for a few matches until you can integrate it into your game without thinking too much.

That's basically how I do it.
Thanks for the advice. But the last time I played you, you were playing as Link?:ohwell:

Victorstk

Smash Rookie
hi ppl i need i hint here

i play as Metaknight and i want to know why it is so random to air release a grabbed wario

sometimes he ground release and some times air release

why with marth/ddd he always air release?

is there some way to always air release him with metaknigt?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
hi ppl i need i hint here

i play as Metaknight and i want to know why it is so random to air release a grabbed wario

sometimes he ground release and some times air release

why with marth/ddd he always air release?

is there some way to always air release him with metaknigt?
If a character breaks a grab during a pummel, they are always ground-released.

If you grab a character, and their feet are not touching the ground at all, you have a 100% air-release, without pummels.

If they ARE touching the ground, and they input a jump while mashing, they get air-released, without pummels.

If they ARE touching the ground, and they do not imput a jump command, they get a ground-release.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Is it possible to glide toss picked up grenades and peanuts, and if not is there any reason why we can't with those oppose to things like armor pieces, nanners, turnips etc?

Shinjin

Smash Cadet
Hey, so I'm trying to incorporate wavebouncing into my game as a Snake player, mostly with grenades.

I finally got down to practicing tonight, and I can do it. Problem is, every once in a while, I use the side-B instead. Does this ever happen to some of you guys, at a high level? If I give it a little more time, can I expect this to resolve itself?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Yea, just press B and then the direction immediately after. It gets really easy after a little practice.

Shinjin

Smash Cadet
Sounds good, thanks. Seems like it's getting better already, and as simple and obvious as it sounds, the "press B first" advice really helps. haha 'preciate it!

Laem

Smash Champion
Sounds good, thanks. Seems like it's getting better already, and as simple and obvious as it sounds, the "press B first" advice really helps. haha 'preciate it!
lol i read this before the responses given and i thought it was a MK main asking how to win hahaha

BSP

Smash Legend
Just remember that on the ground, moves will clash with each other and cancel as long as they are within 10% damage wise. In the air, it becomes whether or not your hitbox hits their hurtbox before their hitbox hits you. I'm not sure about ground vs. aerial though.

So for testing, ground moves that do more damage would have more priority, not counting transcendent hitboxes. In the air, it would boil down to range and speed. Just consider your character's moves, and you should be able to figure who they're going to get outprioritized by most of the time.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
What is the best/most efficient way to test move priorities?
You can't. Brawl doesn't really have "priority." There're the rules of clanking, which states that aerials will only clank with specials, ground moves will clank with other ground moves and specials, and that specials can clank with aerials, ground moves, and other specials. Moves that can clank whose hitboxes connect when there's less than 8% difference will clank. If there's a bigger difference, one will plow through the other. Moves that can't clank (IE aerial aerial interaction) will be determined by whose hitbox hits the opponent's hurtbox first, which in some cases means disjoints. Staling is considered when determining percents.

Top Bottom